HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Price Right for Flyers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2010, 12:52 PM
  #976
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
It's the dollars to retain Vokoun that would be the problem. UFA next year. Think they wanted Carter at the deadline for him...not 100% sure on that.
My beef with Vokoun is that I see him as an improvement, not a final solution to the problem.


Holy ****, I sound like a Nazi

Scoopyten is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 01:00 PM
  #977
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
For the month before the Olympic Break I believe he was the hottest goalie in the league. He seems to lack the consistency in his later years...which is understandable. I remember him being brutal for a little stretch this year as well but that Dallas back end is swiss cheese.

I'd be ok with Marty in the scenario you mention as well but if Mason wasn't a lot more expensive, I'd prefer him.I would imagine Mason would want some security though and I don't believe we'll be the team that can give it to him.
The thing about Turco that intrigues me is that he is one of those goalies that can just flat win you stretches of games when he's on. Like most non-elite guys he goes through his rough spots, but he can be just flat amazing for stretches.

Jester is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 01:10 PM
  #978
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Hi Flyer fans!

As much as I love Price and believe in him, if you want him it would be something like:

To Montreal:

Jeff Carter + Claude Giroux + Marc-Andre Bourdon + 2nd round draft pick in 2010

To Philadelphia:

Carey Price + Yannick Weber
As always WestIslander making a whole fanbase proud.

Kimota is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 01:26 PM
  #979
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Hi Flyer fans!

As much as I love Price and believe in him, if you want him it would be something like:

To Montreal:

Jeff Carter + Claude Giroux + Marc-Andre Bourdon + 2nd round draft pick in 2010

To Philadelphia:

Carey Price + Yannick Weber
throw in the deed to your arena, and this is balanced

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 01:45 PM
  #980
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
As always WestIslander making a whole fanbase proud.


We've got a few as well. I don't see the Flyers getting either Hab goalie as they'll have to give a little more than some other Western clubs. They can't afford to go that route.

It'd be nice to see the Blues make a pitch though. It'd make Mason much more attainable. Blues definitely have more enticing prospects and picks.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 01:55 PM
  #981
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
5'11" 190 isn't really small. And a .910 in 3 of the 4 seasons since the lockout isn't really losing a step. Turco would do just fine here as long as he doesn't catch the same injury bug the other guys did.
a. By current NHL standards 5'11'' is small for a goalie. I see his save percentage at .898, .910, .909 and .898 for the last four years also.

b. He butterflys on point shots, but on a lot of his saves that require lateral movement he plays this starfish style where you go face down and start throwing limbs out. That's tough to get away with if you're not a great athlete or a big, long dude. Turco was very athletic, but he looks to be losing a bit to me, maybe I caught him on bad games. Don't get me wrong, I think Turco is still a decent goalie, but I prefer Ellis and probably Mason at this point as well.


Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 04-03-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM
  #982
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
a. By current NHL standards 5'11'' is small for a goalie. I see his save percentage at .898, .910, .909 and .898 for the last four years also.

b. He butterflys on point shots, but on a lot of his saves that require lateral movement he plays this starfish style where you go face down and start throwing limbs out. That's tough to get away with if you're not a great athlete or a big, long dude. Turco was very athletic, but he looks to be losing a bit to me, maybe I caught him on bad games. Don't get me wrong, I think Turco is still a decent goalie, but I prefer Ellis and probably Mason at this point as well.
Did you miss the current season (.910)? I misspoke when I said 4 seasons since the lockout. Meant the past 4.

5'11" isn't small as far as I'm concerned. He's not big, but he's not small enough that it's a problem.

As to point B, I don't see enough of each guy to really have a comment there.

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 03:52 PM
  #983
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,889
vCash: 500
I'd rather they go after a young goalie to be the starter and then a veteran like Turco or Mason or Ellis to be the back up/mentor for the young starter. I have zero interest in handing the starter's role to yet another 30+ year old goaltender and just having a younger guy wait in the wings. This is a relatively young team and they should go with a relatively young goaltender who can grow with the team.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 05:38 PM
  #984
ob18
 
ob18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/



It's an interesting scenario. I know I'd love to land a kid like Price
Depends on the asking price and if we even have the ammo to pull it off.

ob18 is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 06:14 PM
  #985
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob18 View Post
Depends on the asking price and if we even have the ammo to pull it off.
True...true

Scoopyten is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
  #986
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,003
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, I am actually a fan of the Turco plan if it's for a shorter, cheaper deal. I think he gets a bad rap.
The last two seasons, Turco has looked entirely disinterested. I've watched a lot of Dallas games in the last couple years and I can't really figure out why he can't stay consistent anymore.

I also believe he gets a bad rap, though. His last two playoff appearances he was the best player on Dallas and took them to the Conference Finals against the eventual Stanley Cup champions; the other season he put up incredible numbers in a first round loss to the Canucks because Luongo played similarly brilliant.

I do oppose a Turco signing because I don't want another season with a question mark between the pipes. Unfortunately, whoever the Flyers acquire to be their number one guy will likely have some unknown factor in the baggage. Turco, however, will probably be the biggest question mark of the UFA pool and I'd rather stay away.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
  #987
Death of a Martian
Registered User
 
Death of a Martian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
I'd love to see Price play for the Flyers. I mean, he hasn't been the same since we put him and his team out in the playoffs 2 years ago but in the right situation he could be that all star he was suspose to be. I think Philly would be a good fit.

Death of a Martian is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
  #988
Death of a Martian
Registered User
 
Death of a Martian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Hi Flyer fans!

As much as I love Price and believe in him, if you want him it would be something like:

To Montreal:

Jeff Carter + Claude Giroux + Marc-Andre Bourdon + 2nd round draft pick in 2010

To Philadelphia:

Carey Price + Yannick Weber
I'm going to give you the benifit of the doubt and assume that you are not retarded and are just trying to get a rise out of people.

Death of a Martian is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
  #989
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
I'd love to see Price play for the Flyers. I mean, he hasn't been the same since we put him and his team out in the playoffs 2 years ago but in the right situation he could be that all star he was suspose to be. I think Philly would be a good fit.
He's 22 and developing. It's not like he's a 5 year vet on the downside.

Scoopyten is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
  #990
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
He's 22 and developing. It's not like he's a 5 year vet on the downside.
Exactly. When people say he isn't playing well then they have no clue and do not watch Habs games. The difference between Halak and Price right now is simple and emblematic of the past 3 games.

Price puts in a 3rd star effort (as in against the Canes)
Halak puts in a 1st star effort

Price has played very well in his starts - especially since the break. Halak has just been unconscious. Another shut-out tonight for Halak...

FanHabtic is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
  #991
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Exactly. When people say he isn't playing well then they have no clue and do not watch Habs games. The difference between Halak and Price right now is simple and emblematic of the past 3 games.

Price puts in a 3rd star effort (as in against the Canes)
Halak puts in a 1st star effort

Price has played very well in his starts - especially since the break. Halak has just been unconscious. Another shut-out tonight for Halak...
Yep...he's on the roids...

Scoopyten is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 09:39 PM
  #992
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Yep...he's on the roids...
I wouldn't be surprised if Price is on weed. He so calm at times he looks stoned!

FanHabtic is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 10:48 PM
  #993
ob18
 
ob18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
True...true
Glad you agree.........Now get another grill you can blow up and bring it to another tail gate

ob18 is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 10:49 PM
  #994
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
He's 22 and developing. It's not like he's a 5 year vet on the downside.
Agree, if he was playing in a much more low key market everyone would be saying how he is developing nicely for a 22 year old. He seems like a disappointment because of the ridiculous expectations placed upon his shoulders, but they were unrealistic. He's doing well for a goalie his age.

Halak's been unreal though. I wonder what it feels like to have two great goalies.

Haute Couturier is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 10:53 PM
  #995
Flyers93
Registered User
 
Flyers93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Agree, if he was playing in a much more low key market everyone would be saying how he is developing nicely for a 22 year old. He seems like a disappointment because of the ridiculous expectations placed upon his shoulders, but they were unrealistic. He's doing well for a goalie his age.

Halak's been unreal though. I wonder what it feels like to have two great goalies.
Completely true. It does sometimes seem like he's an aging goalie on the downside of his career living up here in Canada, and how the media treats him. I'm from Western Canada, and I know it's not half as bad here as it is right in Montreal.

Flyers93 is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 10:58 PM
  #996
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The last two seasons, Turco has looked entirely disinterested. I've watched a lot of Dallas games in the last couple years and I can't really figure out why he can't stay consistent anymore.

I also believe he gets a bad rap, though. His last two playoff appearances he was the best player on Dallas and took them to the Conference Finals against the eventual Stanley Cup champions; the other season he put up incredible numbers in a first round loss to the Canucks because Luongo played similarly brilliant.

I do oppose a Turco signing because I don't want another season with a question mark between the pipes. Unfortunately, whoever the Flyers acquire to be their number one guy will likely have some unknown factor in the baggage. Turco, however, will probably be the biggest question mark of the UFA pool and I'd rather stay away.
Agreed for the love of God dont sign Turco!

JackZap is offline  
Old
04-03-2010, 11:09 PM
  #997
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,445
vCash: 1161
This thread will be shut as it approaches 1,000 posts.

New thread...


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=758723


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-03-2010 at 11:20 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.