HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Price Right for Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Scoopyten

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
It's the dollars to retain Vokoun that would be the problem. UFA next year. Think they wanted Carter at the deadline for him...not 100% sure on that.
My beef with Vokoun is that I see him as an improvement, not a final solution to the problem.

Holy ****, I sound like a Nazi

Old
04-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
For the month before the Olympic Break I believe he was the hottest goalie in the league. He seems to lack the consistency in his later years...which is understandable. I remember him being brutal for a little stretch this year as well but that Dallas back end is swiss cheese.

I'd be ok with Marty in the scenario you mention as well but if Mason wasn't a lot more expensive, I'd prefer him.I would imagine Mason would want some security though and I don't believe we'll be the team that can give it to him.
The thing about Turco that intrigues me is that he is one of those goalies that can just flat win you stretches of games when he's on. Like most non-elite guys he goes through his rough spots, but he can be just flat amazing for stretches.

Old
04-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Hi Flyer fans!

As much as I love Price and believe in him, if you want him it would be something like:

To Montreal:

Jeff Carter + Claude Giroux + Marc-Andre Bourdon + 2nd round draft pick in 2010

To Philadelphia:

Carey Price + Yannick Weber
As always WestIslander making a whole fanbase proud.

Old
04-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Hi Flyer fans!

As much as I love Price and believe in him, if you want him it would be something like:

To Montreal:

To Philadelphia:

throw in the deed to your arena, and this is balanced

Old
04-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
As always WestIslander making a whole fanbase proud.

We've got a few as well. I don't see the Flyers getting either Hab goalie as they'll have to give a little more than some other Western clubs. They can't afford to go that route.

It'd be nice to see the Blues make a pitch though. It'd make Mason much more attainable. Blues definitely have more enticing prospects and picks.

Old
04-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
5'11" 190 isn't really small. And a .910 in 3 of the 4 seasons since the lockout isn't really losing a step. Turco would do just fine here as long as he doesn't catch the same injury bug the other guys did.
a. By current NHL standards 5'11'' is small for a goalie. I see his save percentage at .898, .910, .909 and .898 for the last four years also.

b. He butterflys on point shots, but on a lot of his saves that require lateral movement he plays this starfish style where you go face down and start throwing limbs out. That's tough to get away with if you're not a great athlete or a big, long dude. Turco was very athletic, but he looks to be losing a bit to me, maybe I caught him on bad games. Don't get me wrong, I think Turco is still a decent goalie, but I prefer Ellis and probably Mason at this point as well.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 04-03-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
a. By current NHL standards 5'11'' is small for a goalie. I see his save percentage at .898, .910, .909 and .898 for the last four years also.

b. He butterflys on point shots, but on a lot of his saves that require lateral movement he plays this starfish style where you go face down and start throwing limbs out. That's tough to get away with if you're not a great athlete or a big, long dude. Turco was very athletic, but he looks to be losing a bit to me, maybe I caught him on bad games. Don't get me wrong, I think Turco is still a decent goalie, but I prefer Ellis and probably Mason at this point as well.
Did you miss the current season (.910)? I misspoke when I said 4 seasons since the lockout. Meant the past 4.

5'11" isn't small as far as I'm concerned. He's not big, but he's not small enough that it's a problem.

As to point B, I don't see enough of each guy to really have a comment there.

Old
04-03-2010, 03:52 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'd rather they go after a young goalie to be the starter and then a veteran like Turco or Mason or Ellis to be the back up/mentor for the young starter. I have zero interest in handing the starter's role to yet another 30+ year old goaltender and just having a younger guy wait in the wings. This is a relatively young team and they should go with a relatively young goaltender who can grow with the team.

Old
04-03-2010, 05:38 PM
ob18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/

It's an interesting scenario. I know I'd love to land a kid like Price
Depends on the asking price and if we even have the ammo to pull it off.

Old
04-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob18 View Post
Depends on the asking price and if we even have the ammo to pull it off.
True...true

Old
04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, I am actually a fan of the Turco plan if it's for a shorter, cheaper deal. I think he gets a bad rap.
The last two seasons, Turco has looked entirely disinterested. I've watched a lot of Dallas games in the last couple years and I can't really figure out why he can't stay consistent anymore.

I also believe he gets a bad rap, though. His last two playoff appearances he was the best player on Dallas and took them to the Conference Finals against the eventual Stanley Cup champions; the other season he put up incredible numbers in a first round loss to the Canucks because Luongo played similarly brilliant.

I do oppose a Turco signing because I don't want another season with a question mark between the pipes. Unfortunately, whoever the Flyers acquire to be their number one guy will likely have some unknown factor in the baggage. Turco, however, will probably be the biggest question mark of the UFA pool and I'd rather stay away.

Old
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Death of a Martian

I'd love to see Price play for the Flyers. I mean, he hasn't been the same since we put him and his team out in the playoffs 2 years ago but in the right situation he could be that all star he was suspose to be. I think Philly would be a good fit.

Old
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Hi Flyer fans!

To Montreal:

To Philadelphia:

I'm going to give you the benifit of the doubt and assume that you are not retarded and are just trying to get a rise out of people.

Old
04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
I'd love to see Price play for the Flyers. I mean, he hasn't been the same since we put him and his team out in the playoffs 2 years ago but in the right situation he could be that all star he was suspose to be. I think Philly would be a good fit.
He's 22 and developing. It's not like he's a 5 year vet on the downside.

Old
04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Exactly. When people say he isn't playing well then they have no clue and do not watch Habs games. The difference between Halak and Price right now is simple and emblematic of the past 3 games.

Price puts in a 3rd star effort (as in against the Canes)
Halak puts in a 1st star effort

Price has played very well in his starts - especially since the break. Halak has just been unconscious. Another shut-out tonight for Halak...

Old
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Exactly. When people say he isn't playing well then they have no clue and do not watch Habs games. The difference between Halak and Price right now is simple and emblematic of the past 3 games.

Price puts in a 3rd star effort (as in against the Canes)
Halak puts in a 1st star effort

Price has played very well in his starts - especially since the break. Halak has just been unconscious. Another shut-out tonight for Halak...
Yep...he's on the roids...

Old
04-03-2010, 09:39 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Yep...he's on the roids...
I wouldn't be surprised if Price is on weed. He so calm at times he looks stoned!

Old
04-03-2010, 10:48 PM
ob18

Quote:
True...true
Glad you agree.........Now get another grill you can blow up and bring it to another tail gate

Old
04-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Agree, if he was playing in a much more low key market everyone would be saying how he is developing nicely for a 22 year old. He seems like a disappointment because of the ridiculous expectations placed upon his shoulders, but they were unrealistic. He's doing well for a goalie his age.

Halak's been unreal though. I wonder what it feels like to have two great goalies.

Old
04-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Agree, if he was playing in a much more low key market everyone would be saying how he is developing nicely for a 22 year old. He seems like a disappointment because of the ridiculous expectations placed upon his shoulders, but they were unrealistic. He's doing well for a goalie his age.

Halak's been unreal though. I wonder what it feels like to have two great goalies.
Completely true. It does sometimes seem like he's an aging goalie on the downside of his career living up here in Canada, and how the media treats him. I'm from Western Canada, and I know it's not half as bad here as it is right in Montreal.

Old
04-03-2010, 10:58 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The last two seasons, Turco has looked entirely disinterested. I've watched a lot of Dallas games in the last couple years and I can't really figure out why he can't stay consistent anymore.

I also believe he gets a bad rap, though. His last two playoff appearances he was the best player on Dallas and took them to the Conference Finals against the eventual Stanley Cup champions; the other season he put up incredible numbers in a first round loss to the Canucks because Luongo played similarly brilliant.

I do oppose a Turco signing because I don't want another season with a question mark between the pipes. Unfortunately, whoever the Flyers acquire to be their number one guy will likely have some unknown factor in the baggage. Turco, however, will probably be the biggest question mark of the UFA pool and I'd rather stay away.
Agreed for the love of God dont sign Turco!

Old
04-03-2010, 11:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
This thread will be shut as it approaches 1,000 posts.

New thread...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=758723

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-03-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Closed Thread