Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game 76: @ Anaheim, 3/29

Old
03-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I just watched the highlights from this game.

Kari Lehtonen will shake off his very small amount of rust next season and be absolutely amazing.

Crawfords is a ****ing moron for scratching Brunnstrom so much. Every single clip I saw with his line on the ice was absolutely awesome fore checking. The guy has SICK hands and knows how to work the boards, oh AND he drives to the net like a PF should do.
When this guy signs with another team and tears it up I won't be surprised at all. Shame on Dallas for not using him to his strengths.

Our defense other than Grossman and Fistric suck.

Richards is still a hoss.

Crawford sucks.

Niewy has actually done a reasonable job with his GGM skills so far picking up Lehtonen and Segal. Not like we have any money to even fix all of our problems but I honestly think whenever we have some cash he'll pull the trigger on some pretty epic moves.

Crawford still sucks.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Crawfords is a ****ing moron for scratching Brunnstrom so much. Every single clip I saw with his line on the ice was absolutely awesome fore checking. The guy has SICK hands and knows how to work the boards, oh AND he drives to the net like a PF should do.
When this guy signs with another team and tears it up I won't be surprised at all. Shame on Dallas for not using him to his strengths.
This year's likely Jack Adams winner, Dave Tippett, was pulling the same **** with Brunnstrom last year, choosing to give Mark freakin' Parrish more time on the powerplay than Brunnstrom ever saw. Seems like no one wants to give Fabian a fair shake on this team, no matter how good he can look in the limited time he DOES see.

I do hope he chooses to stick around in Dallas, because you're right, he'll likely thrive elsewhere, much like Jussi Jokinen has in Carolina.

03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
So now it comes out that Ribeiro was 10 minutes late and didn't miss the meeting at all. What a hysterical overreation by little dictator Crawford. Hope the loss was worth it.
maybe this was a recurring thing where Ribeiro was late for meetings and practices consistently over the last couple of weeks?

if it's just the one time it's kind of strange, but if it was getting to be a problem the correct thing to do is set the guy straight before it becomes more of a problem.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Niewy realized we were winning too much so they decided to make an example of Ribs in order to deplete the lineup on the last game of the long road trip. Almost certain guaranteed loss keeps them in the Forbot draft area.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
There are a million things it could have been with Ribeiro. He could have smarted off when he got there. It could have been a pattern (either with him as an individual or with the team, where Crawford said "next guy who's late is in trouble," and Ribeiro was that next guy). He could had been really stupid and lied about why he was late and been found out. There's a million reasons Crawford could have benched/bag skated him that make a lot of sense that would fit the "10 minutes late" criteria.

And when multiple coaches and GMs don't think a player is worth putting in the lineup consistently, I tend to think the player is the issue and not the management. Coaches want to keep their jobs, and they do that by winning. If Tippett or Crawford thought Brunnstrom would give them a better chance to win, they would have played him.

Jokinen's thrived elsewhere because he did some freaking weightlifting and no longer gets knocked off the puck by a strong breeze along the boards. Good for him. Brunnstrom could feasibly thrive elsewhere too, but he too has to put in a lot of extra work (and IMO, he has more issues than Dallas-era Jokinen) to get there. There's been marginal improvement in a few areas, but he's not good enough to beat out the Stars' depth at his position, and he's not versatile enough to be effective anywhere else.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
A few more thoughts on the Ribeiro situation which is still making me angry:

- What the hell was the team meeting about the night before a night game the next day? I thought all the meetings that related to hockey were on gameday.

- Southern California traffic anyone?

- My point is not that Ribeiro should get away with being late to a meeting. My point is that surely there are other ways to address the issue. Is there no such thing as a kangaroo court system in the NHL? Can he not be bag skated for the rest of the week? We joke about the tank all the time, but what Crawford did is tantamount to actually tanking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
And when multiple coaches and GMs don't think a player is worth putting in the lineup consistently, I tend to think the player is the issue and not the management. Coaches want to keep their jobs, and they do that by winning. If Tippett or Crawford thought Brunnstrom would give them a better chance to win, they would have played him.
I can't get over how insane, circular, and self-fulfilling this logic is.

Anyway... the idea that there's no room for Brunnstrom is just wrong. There are 6 skilled winger spots available. Eriksson, Morrow, Neal, and Ott have 4 of them. Benn could be playing center year. Segal is ideally a 4th liner. Lehtinen should retire. There's 2 available spots. And I can even see a scenario where the centers are Richards/Ribs/Benn/Wandell 1-4, and then you could even have a 4th line of Brunnstrom/Wandell/Segal that could actually play hockey.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Chad_

Quote:
A few more thoughts on the Ribeiro situation which is still making me angry:
You're in college, right? Have you never had a professor state if anyone is even one minute late on exam day they cannot take the exam? I had plenty, therefore it was my responsibility to make sure I was there ahead of time, traffic, last minute phone call, etc. be damned. Take that same lesson to the real world where being late can mean losing your job, and you might start to realize just how insignificant a with-pay single game suspension really is.

Besides, the entire team stays at the same hotel on the road. Every player has one roommate. Players usually eat together, be it the entire group or in smaller cliques. You wonder why Ribeiro was suspended for breaking team rules, while I wonder why he was the only one who was late and if he's back to, or never left, his old Montreal partying ways.

On a related matter, Shane O'Brien was late to a practice and was suspended by the team for three games and all practices leading up to it.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Kritter471

Brunnstrom has always been utterly ineffective when played fourth-line minutes.

I'm willing to give a player the benefit of the doubt if one coach/administration won't play him. There could be all sorts of conflicts I don't know about going on behind the scenes that have nothing to do with talent. But when you bring in a second leadership group and, while they manage some players very differently, they handle a couple players exactly the same, that indicates something about the player to me.

It's like Barch. I do not understand what they see in him. But they obviously see something that I just do not get. They're not playing him a lot just because it makes me angry, and with two (three? I forget when Barch came) GMs and two coaches continuing to use him nearly eery game, I've got to be the one who's missing something, not them.

Old
03-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Caseman

Quote:
It's like Barch. I do not understand what they see in him. But they obviously see something that I just do not get. They're not playing him a lot just because it makes me angry, and with two (three? I forget when Barch came) GMs and two coaches continuing to use him nearly eery game, I've got to be the one who's missing something, not them.
Could be because he is one of the few vocal leaders in a deathly quiet lockerroom

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
I'm willing to give a player the benefit of the doubt if one coach/administration won't play him. There could be all sorts of conflicts I don't know about going on behind the scenes that have nothing to do with talent. But when you bring in a second leadership group and, while they manage some players very differently, they handle a couple players exactly the same, that indicates something about the player to me.
But he hasn't been handled the same! Not even close. Tippett didn't exactly put Brunnstrom in a position to succeed, but he wasn't actively trying to stop him from succeeding like Crawford. And just because 2 coaches have handled him incorrectly doesn't make them right, it just means we had 2 guys who lacked the imagination to make this team all it could be.

I don't agree with the O'Brien thing either, but being late to an actual practice and being late to a meeting the day before gameday are not the same things. Also it means next to nothing for Vancouver's chances of winning.

And about Barch... it doesn't matter if there's something going on that we're not seeing. Whatever he does or doesn't do clearly has no effect on making a team win games.

Last edited by piqued: 03-31-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old
03-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Chad_

Quote:
I don't agree with the O'Brien thing either, but being late to an actual practice and being late to a meeting the day before gameday are not the same things. Also it means next to nothing for Vancouver's chances of winning.
They aren't entirely the same thing, but both are mandatory team functions. Both have an impact on the remaining games either team has on the docket. Both players showed up late to those mandatory team functions. Both were disciplined for unprofessional behavior, one much more than the other (I have no idea if Ribeiro was out partying like O'Brien was, so possible differences between the two are duly noted).

As I wrote, if this wasn't sports, Ribeiro could have faced far more serious repercussions for simply being tardy. You might have failed a class, delaying your graduation. I might have been fired, being forced to find other employment and draw out what little savings I've been able to accumulate until I find another job. Ribeiro was just told to sit out one game. His life wasn't altered one bit for his own mistake, whereas yours, mine or anyone else's likely would have. It's nothing.

Do you really think Ribeiro being in the lineup last night would have made any difference in a game where Anaheim bested Dallas 45-50 minutes? Would Ribeiro in the lineup somehow have put pressure on the d-men to actually play above or at least to their capabilities? Would he have whispered a message to Anaheim that they must shoot low to best a butterfly goalie, having Anaheim players followed his advice? Nope.

It would have made no difference, and it's far better not to allow players to bend or break the rules than it is to have them run over a coach, no matter how much you or I may not like him. Ask Wade Phillips what it's like when he was just a secondary (third with JJ) figure on the Cowboys. The 'Boys sure did great in that scenario.

Old
03-31-2010, 01:27 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

I absolutely believe the Stars could've won last night if Ribeiro had played. The Ducks were way back on their heels in the 3rd and the Richards and Benn lines were having their way and building momentum. Then out comes the Morrow line and everything comes to a screeching halt.

Old
03-31-2010, 03:17 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
I absolutely believe the Stars could've won last night if Ribeiro had played. The Ducks were way back on their heels in the 3rd and the Richards and Benn lines were having their way and building momentum. Then out comes the Morrow line and everything comes to a screeching halt.
Not to mention it forced Richards to take, literally, half of the teams faceoffs that night.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 04:03 AM
Kritter471

Sometimes getting a message across to a player is more important than two points. *shrugs* You see players in every sport suspended a game for "violation of team rules" or being late or whatever. I won't get worked up unless it becomes a pattern for either of them.

As far as the Barch thing, it was just drawing a parallel. We don't have all the pieces of information as fans, though it's damn fun to speculate like we do. But the more people don't play Brunnstrom, the more I get a sense that he's the issue, not the coaches. Like the same way I see Barch out there time after time, the more I get the sense I'm the one missing something.

How do you know Crawford is actively trying to stop him from succeeding? For all you know, Crawford could have told him "Do X, Y or Z in practice to get on the ice more," and he hasn't. Or some newfangled stat/video analysis they have has shown them he's a big liability on the ice. I think it's stupid to think coaches don't want the best out of their players. Coaches keep their jobs when they get the best out of their players. They can absolutely be misguided when it comes to how they go about doing that, and every style works for some guys and not others, but they won't go about actively sabotaging their chances at remaining employed.

Old
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Not to mention it forced Richards to take, literally, half of the teams faceoffs that night.
He was doing that with Ribeiro in the lineup because Ribeiro can't win 'em either.

Old
03-31-2010, 04:58 PM
aevans0001

Why are we fighting about a decision made with 7 games left for a total of 14 points and we were behind by 9? Does anyone really give us a chance to make the playoffs. So to that I say who cares I would rather have Ribero healthy for next year anyway....

I say scratch Turco and call up CLimie or something and let him get some games!

Or sit Richards and call up somebody else... Not that they have played poorly, but why risk it...

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote