Notices

Mikael Backlund

Old
04-01-2010, 09:28 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullblown nuckfan View Post
at best ...no intensity to this kid at all.
Are you talking about Backlund?

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
intensity isn't exactly a trait you learn, its part of a person's personality
Bingo. You say he lacks intensity, I say he's very focused.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:47 PM
GadKing

Do you guys like what you see from him this year?

11 pts in 44 games, +3

Didn't put up a lot of points in the AHL last year, doesn't seem to be a offensive threat in the NHL yet. I guess he plays on the bottom 6

GadKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadKing View Post

11 pts in 44 games, +3

Didn't put up a lot of points in the AHL last year, doesn't seem to be a offensive threat in the NHL yet. I guess he plays on the bottom 6
It is very apparent (as someone who watches him quite often) that he has a huge offensive potential and is highly skilled. However he spends must of his time with 3rd/4th line grinders.

His defensive game is unbelievable for someone his age. Just last night against the Predators he made one of the best backchecking plays I've seen all year.

If his offensive game can take off in the next couple of years we'll have one of the better 2nd line centres in the game. If not he'll be a great bottom six and PK centre.

Either way, I'm happy to have him on this team.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:03 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
His defensive game is pretty damn good. I've been really surprised with that improvement from last year.

Offensively he's struggled this year. Yes he's been playing with grinders... but it's not like he's getting it onto the sticks of the 4th line guys and they just aren't doing the job. If the puck's on Backlund's stick it's been pretty hit or miss whether a play is going get made or not, whether it be a shot or a good pass. He hasn't really done anything to merit more ice time or more offensively oriented linemates.

Nevertheless the offensive potential is there. Hopefully he'll end up more like BMO, and less like a poor mans Hagman (as he does now).

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadKing View Post

11 pts in 44 games, +3

when you look at his numbers just imagine how Eller has been used but with PK time...

now I ask do you like what you have seen from Eller this year?

as for his AHL numbers last year he started the year in Abbotsford with the focus on his defensive game... after some time in Calgary whhen he was sent back down and during the playoffs his offensive numbers were like night and day from the start of the year

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
madmike77

Quote:
when you look at his numbers just imagine how Eller has been used but with PK time...

now I ask do you like what you have seen from Eller this year?

as for his AHL numbers last year he started the year in Abbotsford with the focus on his defensive game... after some time in Calgary whhen he was sent back down and during the playoffs his offensive numbers were like night and day from the start of the year
Going into this season I thought Backlund and Eller were pretty much at an equal point, but I'd say Backlund has looked better so far. Neither is taking the NHL by storm, but Backlund's defensive play has been a bit of a revelation.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Going into this season I thought Backlund and Eller were pretty much at an equal point, but I'd say Backlund has looked better so far. Neither is taking the NHL by storm, but Backlund's defensive play has been a bit of a revelation.
I am still expecting alot from Backlund offensively, I think the season after next he will have a break year offensively. Next year I am hoping he gets around 40 points.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:02 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Maybe we don't have a plethora of centers like Boston does, but Seguin has recently been getting the same amount of ice time.

Kudos to Jokinen's surge as of late, but someone like him can't put the puck in the net when given glorious and sometimes wide open chances, then there are guys like Backlund who play 8 min a night, and gets a goal by just throwing the puck to the net.

I am not worried about his offensive game.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:10 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I am still expecting alot from Backlund offensively, I think the season after next he will have a break year offensively. Next year I am hoping he gets around 40 points.
40 points with the amount of ice time he gets? Hes not that good

8-10 mins a night and if he gets 40 points I'd be fully expecting him to get 60-70 with way more time

Should really just give Jokinen's ice time to Backlund and give Joker the 8 mins.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
40 points with the amount of ice time he gets? Hes not that good

8-10 mins a night and if he gets 40 points I'd be fully expecting him to get 60-70 with way more time

Should really just give Jokinen's ice time to Backlund and give Joker the 8 mins.
First off, stop sticking your tounge out at me so much, it is really quite rude.

Secondly, is it really that hard to think that a player that is developing and learning the game has their production goes up? I do not think that expecting a sophmore like Backlund, providing that he gets more minutes that he is capable of getting at least 40 points. That should the minimum expectation for him to achieve next year if he is going to develop into the player that he is capable of being. If Backlund is only getting 8 minutes a game next year, centreing the 4th line, then the coaching staff needs to be fired.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
GoFlames

Backlund is what... 20 years old? His defensive game is excellent for a rookie. Once the off season is in play and players are moved around and if Backlund keeps it up he should be able to be a steady second liner next season.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:52 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Backlund is what... 20 years old? His defensive game is excellent for a rookie. Once the off season is in play and players are moved around and if Backlund keeps it up he should be able to be a steady second liner next season.
21, but I think his development is being stunted with so little ice time. I just think he is ready for the 15-16 mins that Joker gets and over the long run we benefit more from giving him the extra ice time.

Why we give Joker more than 10 mins is way beyond me. The guy was fricking terrible last night.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Flameshomer

He scores a goal, and still gets no ice time yet again tonight. This is completely ridiculous. The talent is obvious, he needs to be played more so that he can develop into what we all hope he can be. We have to get rid of Butter and bring in someone who is not mortally afraid of youth.

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
He scores a goal, and still gets no ice time yet again tonight. This is completely ridiculous. The talent is obvious, he needs to be played more so that he can develop into what we all hope he can be. We have to get rid of Butter and bring in someone who is not mortally afraid of youth.
so you are whining about the liners when we are winning the way we are? Backlund is playing well but so is nearly everyone right now... all our lines are clicking its not worth ****ing that up just because Backlund is young

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:01 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
so you are whining about the liners when we are winning the way we are? Backlund is playing well but so is nearly everyone right now... all our lines are clicking its not worth ****ing that up just because Backlund is young
Absolutely. This is his role for the rest of the season and he finally seems to be making the most of all his minutes, not just punching it in like he was not too long ago. He had a real nice game tonight, save that one play where he didn't get the puck deep enough and the Hawks got a goal.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:53 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

The Backlund-Bouma-Kostopolous trio had some really great shifts and a goal... I think the two kids were criminally underused the rest of the night, and I'd like to see Brent keep them together for a little while longer.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
DuklaNation

I think its clear now that no matter how well Backlund plays, he isnt going to get more ice time. Funny thing is with Stajan & Jokinen signed next season, the 11/12 season may be similar.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
I think its clear now that no matter how well Backlund plays, he isnt going to get more ice time. Funny thing is with Stajan & Jokinen signed next season, the 11/12 season may be similar.
Not entirely true... I think he can't be as good as Jokinen/Stajan; he needs to be leaps and bounds better than both of them for Sutter to play a kid over the vets.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Not entirely true... I think he can't be as good as Jokinen/Stajan; he needs to be leaps and bounds better than both of them for Sutter to play a kid over the vets.
Do you mean ever?

I think he'll be better than Stajan ever was overall - effort-wise, Hockey IQ-wise, and defencive wise.
I don't know if he'll beat Jokinen's points in a single season; I don't think so, but the way I see Backlund is that he's a second line centre with upside. Reminds me of Langkow with the defencive responsibility in his play.

Backlund's point plateau is probably around 50-60, maybe he has a couple great seasons sniffing 70 - but first and foremost, a defencive forward player.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Do you mean ever?
To me it seems that he's talking about earning more ice time than Jokinen or Stajan; just being "as good" isn't good enough, he has to be better.

Honestly, if he was better in the faceoff circle, he'd probably get more ice. Well more than Stajan, at least.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Do you mean ever?

I think he'll be better than Stajan ever was overall - effort-wise, Hockey IQ-wise, and defencive wise.
I don't know if he'll beat Jokinen's points in a single season; I don't think so, but the way I see Backlund is that he's a second line centre with upside. Reminds me of Langkow with the defencive responsibility in his play.

Backlund's point plateau is probably around 50-60, maybe he has a couple great seasons sniffing 70 - but first and foremost, a defencive forward player.
As Stewie said, I more meant that Backlund has to literally outperform Stajan and Jokinen to steal their ice time away; being just as good doesn't cut it, because if two players are more or less the same, I see why the vets would get some preference.

As far as a ceiling, I imagine Backlund will have a few 70 point seasons, maybe an 80+ one at some point if he develops properly. Do I think he'll ever be as good as Jokinen was pre-Zednik? No. But he'll be a solid number 2C with flashes of a number 1.

Old
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
AnAfricanMidget

I want to see Backlund playing well with 4th liners, because if he can make them better players it will make him a better player in the long run.

If you see Backlund play well with Kostopolous, Jackman, Bouma,etc... imagine how we will be when he finally reaches his potential and plays 20min/game with top players.

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:42 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOPula View Post
I want to see Backlund playing well with 4th liners, because if he can make them better players it will make him a better player in the long run.

If you see Backlund play well with Kostopolous, Jackman, Bouma,etc... imagine how we will be when he finally reaches his potential and plays 20min/game with top players.
This is exactly why I don't mind him playing on the 4th line right now. Get him comfortable playing limited minutes against 3rd and 4th lines, move up from there. People keep saying this stunts his development and I just think that's ******** quite honestly.

We're not in a position where we can play him on the 2nd or 3rd line but not demote him when he inevitably makes mistakes.

Old
02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

I will say though, playing with these grinders has really had a negative effect on Backlund's boyish looks...

haha