HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perspective

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2010, 11:38 AM
  #1
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Perspective

Some is needed around here.....

A lot of talk about collapses, how bad the Kings suck right now, how they should change up the coaching group, etc.

Let's talk about who this team is, and what we expect from them. I think we'd all agree that if asked at the beginning of the season, just making the playoffs this year would mean it was a successful year. I think the way they played pre-December break, and after their post-December break slump, has caused expectations to become unrealistic. While a huge collapse is a remote possibility, it is not likely. They have a 99+% chance of getting in, while Calgary's is less than 5% at the moment.

Many have said, and I agree, that even if they get in and go 4 and out, then it's a good thing for this team. There are some, however, who seem to think this would be a bad thing for the team.

It's a young team. Everything they've been through, including this current slide, is teaching them something, and building their character. They're learning how to contend with the grind of 82 games, and how that grind can become terrible in the last quarter of the season. Believe me, this WILL pay dividends next season. If they do get in, even if they do go 4 and out, it will only underscore what they've learned this year, and how they'll have to prepare even harder for this time of the year next season.

While some teams have been cinderellas and gone deep into the playoffs their first year of competitiveness, they are the exception, not the rule.

The old saying "walk before you run" did not become an old saying for no reason.

I was not one of the people booing at the end of the game at Staples last Saturday. I thought that stunk even more than the team did that night.

SLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:10 PM
  #2
HeadInjury
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Better to have a wake up call now, than in the playoffs when it would be too late, I guess.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
  #3
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Some is needed around here.....

A lot of talk about collapses, how bad the Kings suck right now, how they should change up the coaching group, etc.

Let's talk about who this team is, and what we expect from them. I think we'd all agree that if asked at the beginning of the season, just making the playoffs this year would mean it was a successful year. I think the way they played pre-December break, and after their post-December break slump, has caused expectations to become unrealistic. While a huge collapse is a remote possibility, it is not likely. They have a 99+% chance of getting in, while Calgary's is less than 5% at the moment.

Many have said, and I agree, that even if they get in and go 4 and out, then it's a good thing for this team. There are some, however, who seem to think this would be a bad thing for the team.

It's a young team. Everything they've been through, including this current slide, is teaching them something, and building their character. They're learning how to contend with the grind of 82 games, and how that grind can become terrible in the last quarter of the season. Believe me, this WILL pay dividends next season. If they do get in, even if they do go 4 and out, it will only underscore what they've learned this year, and how they'll have to prepare even harder for this time of the year next season.

While some teams have been cinderellas and gone deep into the playoffs their first year of competitiveness, they are the exception, not the rule.

The old saying "walk before you run" did not become an old saying for no reason.

I was not one of the people booing at the end of the game at Staples last Saturday. I thought that stunk even more than the team did that night.
Its hard to respond to your comments about others talking collapse unless we know just how long you've been a King fan. Am I worried about a collapse? YOU BET. I've been watching one. Seen 'em many times before and this one looks just as bad as the others. The next two games will be tell-tale in that regard. Lose these two, and the fans will not be the only people around this team for whom PANIC will set in, if it hasn't already. Of course with TM, we'll never know from his comments or demeanor as it appears he knows how to fiddle while the city burns around him.

Some people took me (my point, really) to task when, several games ago, I stated how I thought TM should have blown up in the dressing room between the second and third periods and given his team hell for how bad they were playing. Others said better a calm coach to teach this team. Well right now, and I think Brown's comments highlight this, SOMEONE needs to light a fire under this team's collective BUTT. But TM thinks everything is OK, Just bad special teams. On that he is right, our special teams sucked hard agaisnt Dallas. But it is far beyond that. This team is listless. They are playing without spark. They are playing like they are scared, and that comes back to coaching.

Now certainly, BEFORE the season everyone said if we could make the playoffs this season would be a good one. Yet, based on how they played throughout most of the year, including a 9 game winning streak, just making the playoffs, backing in like a bum going for seconds in a soup line, isnt going to be the success we hoped for, or what we have come to expect based upon what we know they can do. And just getting in, only to be swept like a dirty rug, isnt going to help this team at all. NOT ONE BIT. This team appears fragile, and a sweep or out in five isn't going to instill in our players, who have never been their before, any sense of confidence. It just wont.

I look at Phoenix, obviously the turn-around-team of the year with a "Jack Adams" coach, and I see them rattle of wins at an astonishing pace while we are falling on our faces. We were but a point or two behind them not that long ago. Teams normally improve going toward the playoffs because they know they have to. They all know the level of play is that much higher in the second season. I have been around this team long enough to have perspective, and right now this is not a playoff team, except in current standings, and those standings are changing rapidly.

It is a coaches job to motivate his players, and I think that is what Dustin was trying to convey in his comments. I think that is why TM was rattled by them, and told the media "that they are getting it all wrong." I think they got it all right and its about time the coach showed some of that emotion and desperation he talks about his players having. Its time for him to light a spark in this team, or be responsible for it just like he wants his players to be.


Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 03-29-2010 at 01:00 PM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:38 PM
  #4
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Its hard to respond to your comments about others talking collapse unless we know just how long you've been a King fan.
First game attended: 1972, 5 years old. Can you be a fan at 5 years old or are you just mimicking your parents? Either way, put a time frame on how old you have to be to make your own decision on who you're a fan of, and that would be me.

SLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:13 PM
  #5
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
First game attended: 1972, 5 years old. Can you be a fan at 5 years old or are you just mimicking your parents? Either way, put a time frame on how old you have to be to make your own decision on who you're a fan of, and that would be me.
Point noted. Your old enough to know what this team looks like when its stumbling, and to me, it looks that way now.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
  #6
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Posters that talk about collapses are the minority. The silent majority still believes in the kings.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:19 PM
  #7
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Agreed they are stumbling, but I never said in my OP that they weren't. My point was that this is still a young team with a LOT to learn before they contend for the Cup, and should they not make it out of the first round, I still see this season as a positive for their development. Any expectation of a deep run and/or SCF appearance would have been unreasonable.

We would have to be crazy to think a massive collapse resulting in them missing the post season wouldn't be a setback. They need to make the playoffs, even if it does result in 4 and out.

SLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:29 PM
  #8
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator
 
saintsnsoldiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Logan, Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
I think the thing to be remembered here is this team is way ahead of expectations. We have had a great year and are in the hunt for the playoffs, I for one am very excited. I take a look at how some of of our young players have developed and who we have coming up in the system and I smile. Can it all fall apart,yes. We are young. We are learning what it takes to win, We are at the end of a season and it is showing. Hopefully the kids figure it out and we make the playoffs. If not I hope they learn from the season and do better next year. I still think we should of shored up the D at the deadline. I think that could of helped abit right now. How much more does Quick have in the tank, is Doughty slowing down, and who steps up to start the scoring again? I think these are key questions for this team. I love being a Kings fan since 1976. When we win this thing it will be that much sweeter.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:23 PM
  #9
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,533
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I'm pretty sure the guys who expect a collapsing don't mean axactly collapsing in this way.

For me the Kings could be a top 5 team.
They have all the talent they need.
A collaps would be for me to be at the 8th spot in standing
before Playoff.

I'm pretty positiv that is what the guys try to say.

All that ahead of expectations crap is just an excuse, kind of a backdore.
The team is ready to contend, why to look at expectations from the season beginning??????

If you have a horse who could win a race by a mile and finish 4th, call ahead of expectations
just because someone thought he could finish 6th 2 years ago?????

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
  #10
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
First things first, We have some games in hand against all teams in West. Secondly, it takes us 2 points to jump 2 playoff spots. Statistically, things aren't as bad.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
  #11
Chruceg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Now certainly, BEFORE the season everyone said if we could make the playoffs this season would be a good one. Yet, based on how they played throughout most of the year, including a 9 game winning streak, just making the playoffs, backing in like a bum going for seconds in a soup line, isnt going to be the success we hoped for, or what we have come to expect based upon what we know they can do. And just getting in, only to be swept like a dirty rug, isnt going to help this team at all. NOT ONE BIT. This team appears fragile, and a sweep or out in five isn't going to instill in our players, who have never been their before, any sense of confidence. It just wont.
I completely agree that the expectations for the season began to skew upward as the season progressed. The expectations for any season change as the season progresses. Because I'm a math guy I try to think of it as an extrapolation of data. Essentially projecting performance based on previous information. Going into the season the only data we had were from previous seasons while adjusting for new acquisitions and age. As the season moved on we received new data based on how they had performed. We are able to adjust our previous conclusions because the new data supports a new conclusion. I don't think anybody here thought the Kings were Stanley Cup contenders even when they had the fifth best record in the NHL but the way we have seen them play has justified an uptick in our expectations.

Also, I agree that a sweep in the playoffs does little for this team to build on next year. I can't help but think of the long list of cellar dwellers that people thought were on upswings because they made the playoffs only to fold the following season. (St. Louis '09, Thrashers '07, Islanders 02 & 03, Pretty much every Nashville season) If the Kings squeaked in as an eight seed on the last day of the season I MIGHT feel differently but if this team wants something to build on there needs to be playoff success even if it is a seven game war resulting in a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I look at Phoenix, obviously the turn-around-team of the year with a "Jack Adams" coach, and I see them rattle of wins at an astonishing pace while we are falling on our faces. We were but a point or two behind them not that long ago. Teams normally improve going toward the playoffs because they know they have to. They all know the level of play is that much higher in the second season.
I quote you here only because you mentioned Phoenix.

I feel like there is a common refrain amongst Kings fans that points to Phoenix and says "Look how well they are doing! The Kings finished dead even with them last year, how are they outperforming the Kings!?" Obviously the coaching change makes a world of difference but I think a large part of it comes from the composition of their team. Their goaltending is significantly older (and better), their defense is significantly older, and although their forwards have young players the weight is carried by their veterans. This is a team that has has several different parts that have come from difficult series and have performed. They also won't last.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
  #12
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
First things first, We have some games in hand against all teams in West. Secondly, it takes us 2 points to jump 2 playoff spots. Statistically, things aren't as bad.
Word...I don't have the standings right in front of me, but if I'm not mistaken, we could be back in 5th by the end of the night...time to build a little towards the playoffs.

What's bugging me is that everyone is sucking collectively...and it's hard to pin on one player. But I think that's actually a good thing, because I have faith that this team will actually pick up their play in the last few games of the season and cause some damage in the playoffs. I remain cautiously optimistic I think there's too much experience and desire, even if it's not evident on the ice, for this team to just fall flat on their faces.

The other good thing about this is they will be playing with house money when the playoffs actually start; the Kings will be the underdog no matter WHO they play in the first round at this point, and I think they need to take a little bit of the pressure off in order to get back to playing like they can...so they can gain confidence to succeed under pressure. As ass-backwards as that sounds

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:55 PM
  #13
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
All those games in hand are turning into losses.

This probably wouldn't happen to a team that is a little bit older and more experienced than this current crop.

All in all, this stretch will be beneficial to the team...next year.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:38 AM
  #14
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Everything is fine.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:05 AM
  #15
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood
 
Mr Irreverent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
I'm pretty sure the guys who expect a collapsing don't mean axactly collapsing in this way.

For me the Kings could be a top 5 team.WRONG
They have all the talent they need.WRONG
A collapsE would be for me to be at the 8th spot in standing
before Playoff.WRONG

I'm pretty positivE that is what the guys try to say.

All that ahead of expectations crap is just an excuse, kind of a backdoOR.
The team is ready to contend, why to look at expectations from the season beginning??????

If you have a horse who could win a race by a mile and finish 4th, call ahead of expectations
just because someone thought he could finish 6th 2 years ago?????
See above.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
  #16
Defgarden
Registered User
 
Defgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
From my perspective, this sucks.

I expected the Kings to challenge for a playoff spot, and that's what they've done, but this 4 game losing streak is a very good challenge. There's still time, and hopefully Calgary keeps sucking, but this team is going nowhere playing like this.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:49 AM
  #17
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,528
vCash: 500
I'm not worried at all.

I thought it could hurt the boys if they actually miss the playoffs, but I doubt that will happen. If they only win one more game, Calgary has to go 4-2 to pass us and the way they have been playing, that's not guaranteed. Frankly, I say if we win two of our last seven, we basically clinch it. As bad as the team is playing lately, we should be able to do that.

I agree perspective is needed. In September, if we were told this is where the team would be at this point in the season, the vast majority would have been estatic about it. Regarless of the past 40 years, virtually no one from the current team was part of any of that and the focus should be on what this great, talented young core is learning now for next year and the future, not how things are mimicking the past.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:56 AM
  #18
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
See above.
Is there really a need to point out grammatical errors for a guy who speaks/writes english as what.. a 5th language?


And I agree with the OP. You chicken littles need to get over yourselves. While I'm not happy that they are losing, they still haven't fallen off completely. They've had a 4 game losing streak that they've bounced back from before this season. Am I confident they will bounce back? Not really but I don't know they they'll even need to at this point to make the playoffs. That was the goal at the start of the year and if they make it, I'll be happy. I still think they can pull it together and possible even knock out a team in the playoffs. Will they? Not if they keep playing like this. They still have 2 weeks to get their **** together.

I think just about everyone on this board has been fan long enough to see them collapse down the stretch. The only problem is nobody told this years team that this was supposed to happen in February, not late March.

For the record, I bought playoff tickets in 03/04 and 05/06. I got my playoff tickets for this year on this past Saturday. You can all blame me if they don't make it!


Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 03-30-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
  #19
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,665
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I'm not worried at all.

I thought it could hurt the boys if they actually miss the playoffs, but I doubt that will happen. If they only win one more game, Calgary has to go 4-2 to pass us and the way they have been playing, that's not guaranteed. Frankly, I say if we win two of our last seven, we basically clinch it. As bad as the team is playing lately, we should be able to do that.

I agree perspective is needed. In September, if we were told this is where the team would be at this point in the season, the vast majority would have been estatic about it. Regarless of the past 40 years, virtually no one from the current team was part of any of that and the focus should be on what this great, talented young core is learning now for next year and the future, not how things are mimicking the past.


I pretty much agree in the sense that 4 points is the key and that making the playoffs is huge for us and there isn't a whole lot to worry about when it comes to making the playoffs; however, I do think there is a cause for concern with their recent play and that the expectation should be higher than just making the playoffs. We have a good looking future, but so does the Western Conference. Succeeding in this conference is going to be difficult in the coming years and the team needs to be held to a higher standard needed to meet those expectations.

__________________

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
  #20
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post


I pretty much agree in the sense that 4 points is the key and that making the playoffs is huge for us and there isn't a whole lot to worry about when it comes to making the playoffs; however, I do think there is a cause for concern with their recent play and that the expectation should be higher than just making the playoffs. We have a good looking future, but so does the Western Conference. Succeeding in this conference is going to be difficult in the coming years and the team needs to be held to a higher standard needed to meet those expectations.
Thank you! This team is ailing. THERE IS CAUSE FOR CONCERN. Do I want to blow it all up? Hell No. But something must be amiss when games that need to be won, games that need to be played competitively are merely played through as if they are meaningless. I also thinks its important for the coach to show similar urgency as to what he wants his players to show.

If, as a coach, you are going to "right the ship" don't you have to admit that its off course in the first place?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.