HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philippe Paradis

Old
03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
shaner89

vCash: 500
Its looking more and more likely that Tlustly will never his potential. He just doesnt have it.

Paradis keep improving
Tlustly hasnt improved since he was drafted

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
leafs in five

given that the stats alone aren't terribly impressive, and if i recall correctly it was something of a surprising move for the canes to take him with the first rounder.

i haven't had a chance to ever see the kid play but even when Tlusty trade went down i thought of Carolina's decision to take Brandon Sutter 11th overall in 07, which again if i'm not mistaken was criticized. Sutter's stats in junior, albeit in the WHL, aren't much better:

2006-07 Red Deer Rebels WHL 71GP 20G 37A 57P
2007-08 Red Deer Rebels WHL 59 26 23 49

i don't think those are stats representative of a guy who makes an impact in the lineup when he's in the NHL. maybe Carolina's scouts saw something similar in Paradis? i don't know, not being able to scout players for a living sometimes we frame our hopes around the decisions made by people who do that professionally. anyways i agree the numbers aren't really grounds for getting excited, though.

leafs in five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
At the same age Tlusty was putting up over a point per game in the AHL and playing in the NHL as well.

Hard to say it's a "fleecing" to date.
Isn't Hanson ppg in the AHL? He looks completely lost in the NHL. Almost as if he's in awe of everything around him.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:41 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

hopefully we can hope for a david clarkson like player

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Tombernack

If this guy becomes a full timer, in any role, I'll be happy, considering what we gave up for him.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Isn't Hanson ppg in the AHL? He looks completely lost in the NHL. Almost as if he's in awe of everything around him.
Yes which makes you wonder how one could currently conclude that a guy who can't do that in juniors is somehow better than players who did it at higher levels?

Could happen but there's nothing to date to suggest it will.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:57 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
no, they're quite bad.

1) Wendel Clark was a defenseman in junior

2) You've got your numbers all mixed up. At Paradis' age this year, Clark was already in the NHL.

Here's how Clark and Paradis compare in junior:

17yrs - pre-draft year

W.Clark: 72gms, 23gls, 68pts (82gms, 26gls, 77pts)
P.Paradis: 45gms, 11gls, 23pts (82gms, 20gls, 42pts)

18yrs - draft year

W.Clark: 64gms, 32gls, 87pts (82gms, 41gls, 112pts)
P.Paradis: 66gms, 19gls, 50pts (82gms, 24gls, 62pts)

and Clark was a defenseman for these two years.

19yrs - post-draft year

W.Clark: IN THE NHL: 66gms, 34gls, 45pts (82gms, 42gls, 56pts)
P.Paradis: IN JUNIOR: 63gms, 24gls, 44pts (82gms, 31gls, 57pts)

At the same age, Clark was better in the NHL than Paradis is in the CHL.

It's not close.

Paradis' numbers are horrible. So bad that it makes it doubtful he can ever make the NHL, even as a grinder.
Agreed, the comparison to Wendel Clark was absurd, especially considering he was a defenseman in junior. One small correction, however, you are one season out of synch in your comparison.

Wendel was an October birthday, so his first NHL season, was his last season of junior eligibility. Paradis has one year of junior eligibility remaining. Thus, the comparison are actually off by one season. They still slant heavily in Wendel's favour however.

I would not say Paradis' numbers are horrible. They aren't particularly encouraging, however, more just wait and see. He improved a bit in goal scoring but you would have liked to have seen some improvement across the board in his third year in the Q. We'll see how he does in his last year of junior.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:00 PM
pigspigs76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
hes not exactly being put in position to succeed. John Mitchell on the other hand.....

you get my point... I think Burke is trying to sell John Mitchell to be honest and is holding Hanson back to eventually become our 3rd line center.

pigspigs76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:06 PM
wendelclark17

I would say that im more interested to see what Chris Didomenico can become.
He will certainly be marlie next year, I wonder if he can ever amount to more.

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:13 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Those aren't impressive numbers - those are horrible numbers.

Man, you cant find anything good to say

There are numerous players who didnt do well before the draft

His role isnt as a goal scorer. He's a player who can do the gritty work. I really wish you'd spread your negativity to another thread so we dont have to deal with it

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
24 goals (44 points) & 104 pim in 63 games doesn't impressive you for an 18/19 year old kid in junior (Q)?

Let's look at Wendel Clark's stat at 18/19 years of age in junior (WHL):
23 goals (45 points) & 225 pim in 72 games

are you kidding me? What does he have to have the same stats as Sidney Crosby or Wayne Gretzky?

His stats are almost identical to Wendel Clark's stats (except for the fact that Wendy had 100 more pims)...and Clark turned out to be more then a third liner....
Thats a poor comparison. Players in the Q tend to have higher offensive stats compared to players in the OHL or WHL. Thats my understanding of a key difference between the Q and the rest of the CHL anyway.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Tombernack

Those numbers are not impressive, but if I've learned anything from years of hockey watching, its that any young prospect can turn into any player. (well, almost)

We'll see.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Agreed, the comparison to Wendel Clark was absurd, especially considering he was a defenseman in junior. One small correction, however, you are one season out of synch in your comparison.

Wendel was an October birthday, so his first NHL season, was his last season of junior eligibility. Paradis has one year of junior eligibility remaining. Thus, the comparison are actually off by one season. They still slant heavily in Wendel's favour however.
I use the NHL draft elibility cutoff date and match draft years - which especially makes sense because Clark was born on Oct 29, and Paradis on Jan 2, so they're only 2 months apart in my comparisons there.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:24 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFF View Post
I wish I could, believe me.

I love saying good things about prospects that deserve it.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Cavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFF View Post

There are numerous players who didnt do well before the draft

His role isnt as a goal scorer. He's a player who can do the gritty work. I really wish you'd spread your negativity to another thread so we dont have to deal with it
Good points. This kid approached his coach last year in Shawinigan, and asked for more of a defensive role, feeling they hey had noone to throw out there in shutdown situations.

The Cats aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut, and he played the defensive forward role very well there.

Ignore the plus/minus numbers, as you can see from Shawinigan's goals for/against, they didn't exactly light the lamp. They were about even in for and against.

I've seen the kid play numerous times this year, and last, and he's got some tools, and some maturing to do, but has continued to improve his all around game.

Cavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
44 points in 63 games in the Q is nothing to write home about....specially for a player who has already been drafted.
First of all, a guy like Paradis isn't going to put up great numbers in the Q, it's a soft league that is centered around speed. Secondly, a guy who is aspiring to become a power forward like Paradis takes a lot longer to develop.

Use your head guys.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Darylman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
First of all, a guy like Paradis isn't going to put up great numbers in the Q, it's a soft league that is centered around speed. Secondly, a guy who is aspiring to become a power forward like Paradis takes a lot longer to develop.

Use your head guys.

QFT. You'd think after we got someone like Bozak who was UNDRAFTED we'd have a little more patience with building potential in players. Statistics in the Q don't tell us everything about the player, and to even insinuate that it does is madness. Tlusty was PPG, and I seriously doubt he will ever be a solid NHL'er.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:38 PM
thas

This guy is a good prospect, but dont let his draft position fool you. He was clearly taken too high. I would have taken him with a high third round draft pick. He has a good shot, but the release can be better. Good burke type player with a scoring touch. I see him as a thirdline scoring forward. He should be able to score about 20 goals in the nhl by the time he is 25. He has a long way to go though.

thas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Yeah I don't really see much upside for Paradis right now, and those numbers are far from impressive. However, we know that Tlusty sucks and Paradis' future in the NHL is questionable... so Paradis > Tlusty.

More time is needed with this kid but regardless I can't wait to see him at training camp. He might surprise a la Stalberg.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:46 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
With all the discussion of our new college signing in Irwin, and our first round pick, 7th over all in Kadri, I just wanted to give an update on our OTHER first round pick who has been putting up impressive numbers in the Q this year.

Philippe Paradis
Position: Center
DOB: Born Jan 2 1991 -- Dolbeau, PQ
Height 6.01 -- Weight 196 -- Shoots L

Year GM G A Pts PIM
2009-10 63 24 20 44 104

Is anyone else as excited about Paradis' upside as I am? I think Paradis has the potential to become our number 2 centre (eventually). Has anyone else been following him?

Remember we gave up Jiri Tlusty who's been very unimpressive for the Canes:
YEAR TEAM LG G G A PTS PIM
2009-10 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 18 1 5 6 6
2009-10 Albany River Rats AHL 16 6 6 12 8

I think this might be the most underrated trade of the year. Furthermore, I believe Burke fleeced Rutherford (or whatever his name is) in Carolina....

Who's with me?!
I stopped reading there. First of all, he'll likely be a 3rd liner. Nothing wrong with that. Second of all, he isn't a centerman...

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

Have never seen him play, but hopefully he can play for the marlies next year.

I like his size though

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Stats01

Paradis was drafted a lot higher than expected. Man this guy is 19 and his numbers hardly jump at you... who is this guy lol I can't find a video on him or anything. All I've seen is his draft interview. Not sure if you can judge the trade now, but at this point looks to be a pointless one, neither player is doing anything worth of noting.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:55 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Those aren't impressive numbers - those are horrible numbers.
Agreed. I don't see anything in those stats that merits getting excited about.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Joey Hoser

"Horrible" is a bad choice of words IMO. When you think about it for what it is, he's contributing a good deal of secondary offense to his team while playing a physical game. He's a good junior player who a lot of teams probably would like to have on their roster.

You have to take draft position into account in order to make the argument that he's anything less than "pretty good" in junior.

Horrible would be like, 10 goals, 20 points and minus a lot, while not contributing much else.

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:59 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
QFT. You'd think after we got someone like Bozak who was UNDRAFTED we'd have a little more patience with building potential in players. Statistics in the Q don't tell us everything about the player, and to even insinuate that it does is madness. Tlusty was PPG, and I seriously doubt he will ever be a solid NHL'er.
Richie started the thread talking about the trade being a fleecing which is probably more unrealistic than saying the guy doesn't have a top 6 future. The strong negatives are maybe in response to that, more so than shooting the prospect down entirely. With Alex Burrows in the league we all know anything is possible.
I just don't like Paradis' potential as much as Champagne or Dido based on their Junior performance at the same age. And I don't see either of these other two as top 6 guys either. But after a stronger next season I might agree with him. Paradis does have an NHL players body and he isn't a plodder but top 6 is a scorer's place. Even Johnny mitcheel had 80 points the year after he was drafted and most now agree he isn't top 6 material.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote