HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philippe Paradis

Old
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Blackshad

vCash: 500
He's no fighter. He's a finesse player who can hit.
Like i said before, he might not develop as a scorer in the NHL but his speed and physical presence alone will make him an NHLer.

Its so funny to hear comparaison when people never saw him play.. ..Wendel Clark. WTF is that!

Blackshad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Ya, Tlusty was really ripping it up with the Canes. He stunk, they sent him down to get more playing time. Honestly, if people want to listen to spin from the team whatever. All I know, a supposed top six type forward on pace to score a pathetic 5 goals was doing jack squat. Just like he did in Toronto. And, if you look at his AHL stats this year, both organizations, he's actually regressed this year.

At least with Paradis, you never know. It was painfully obvious to me, that despite this "he's young" comfort blanket, the kid lacks the heart and desire to breakout in the NHL. I bet he ends up in Europe in two years.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Blackshad

The Colby Armstrong comparaison is a really good one. But he have a better hands/potential.

Old
03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
I would say that im more interested to see what Chris Didomenico can become.
He will certainly be marlie next year, I wonder if he can ever amount to more.

I dont want to burst your bubble but there's a high chance Chris Didominico doesnt reach NHL.

He is a one trick ponny. He place himself at 3 or 4 meters from the side of the net and wait for a pass to do a snapshot. Most of his goals are like that.

He might prove me wrong, but player that know tricks that work in the Junior doesnt always work in the AHL or NHL.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Spazmatic Dan
Behold the Shanaplan

I think with Paradis' resume, he should be a good 3rd/4th grinder/energy guy. He might hit higher than that, but I find it hard to believe he won't make the NHL eventually.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post
I dont want to burst your bubble but there's a high chance Chris Didominico doesnt reach NHL.

He is a one trick ponny. He place himself at 3 or 4 meters from the side of the net and wait for a pass to do a snapshot. Most of his goals are like that.

He might prove me wrong, but player that know tricks that work in the Junior doesnt always work in the AHL or NHL.
Not that Dido's a lock to be a good NHLer, but he's most definitely not a one-trick pony. He's got a pretty complete offensive skillset with good vision, good creativity, good hands, good passing, and a good shot, and is pretty gritty to boot.

Size and speed are the only real question marks on his game.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
DeeEeZed

Quote:

..John Tavarres?

DeeEeZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
jimmyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEeZed View Post
..John Tavarres?
was thinking the same thing.

jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Obviously, someone stole his sweater and played for him at the WJC then.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Blackshad

For DiDominico:

Dont get me wrong, he has skills. He is a very talented goal scorer. If i want a guy on a powerplay i want him on my team.

But even in the warm-up the thing he practice the most is his shot at the faceoff circle. I've seen so many of his goals here and they look the same. Some trick like this one doesnt always work at higher levels. I mean if he can adapt his play to higher speed then you will be lucky to have this guy in your team. But from what i have seen, it's not the best goal scorer that make it to the NHL, but the ones who can adapt themselves and that are able to learn new ways to score.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:14 PM
facey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
was thinking the same thing.
so your both admitting to being at least semi-********?

He started the season on pace for a 30+ goal rookie campaign. If you actually watch the games you'll see he's got an epic skill set, and does much much more then his side of the net goals, though if you think those are so easy, why don't all players just do it?

W/o checking the #s i believe he could still hit the 60pt mark, as a rookie who experienced a MAJOR slump (rookie wall). He went through the longest scoring slump of his life, 17 games w/o a goal, according to his father his previous high was 4 or 5 games.

Duchene is a better skater, and more polished defensively... the rest of his tools are not JT level, he's not as good on the dot, his release is more predictable, his shot less accurate and less powerful, the hands are miles apart as is the on ice vision. If you about to say "Matt has more pts", well ya, look at his line-mates (and if your about to say look at Moulson, your simply proving you have not watched the games).

-- gotta run--

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
no, it really doesn't work both ways. show us some guys who played "crap" in junior and played well in the nhl.

there might be a scattered exception to the rule, but its very fair and accurate to say that even those players who go on to become grinders, checkers, and defensive defencemen in the nhl, put up big points in junior and are very, very good junior players.

i'm not sure why anyone would need to argue this point. if you're not a very good junior player, you're highly unlikely to play in the nhl. why does that need to be argued? we don't have to defend and argue in favour of each and every prospect. they aren't all going to make it.
Please tell me you've seen the kid play to come up with the opinion that he's not a very good junior player. Beside just looking up his stats.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:32 PM
SprDaVE

Like I've said before, I've seen Paradis quite a few times over the last year.

He plays with a ton of heart and leaves it all on the ice. Doesn't back down from a challenge. He plays a prototypical power forward game; physical, goes in the corners hard and drives the net hard. He doesn't have the softest hands but he's good around the net. Will sacrifice his body for the play (block shots, take a hit, etc).

He also has a VERY hard slap shot. At the 2009 CHL Top Prospects event, Paradis blasted a 95.7 miles-per-hour shot, earning the hardest shot. He skates pretty well and he's very strong on his skates.

Paradis was one of only seven to score “AA” (above average) in both upper and lower body development at the combine.

He likely won't light up the scoresheet day in and day out but will make an impact in other areas of the game, similar to Brendan Morrow or Dustin Brown.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

He plays with a ton of heart and leaves it all on the ice. Doesn't back down from a challenge. He plays a prototypical power forward game; physical, goes in the corners hard and drives the net hard. He doesn't have the softest hands but he's good around the net. Will sacrifice his body for the play (block shots, take a hit, etc).

He also has a VERY hard slap shot. At the 2009 CHL Top Prospects event, Paradis blasted a 95.7 miles-per-hour shot, earning the hardest shot. He skates pretty well and he's very strong on his skates.

Paradis was one of only seven to score “AA” (above average) in both upper and lower body development at the combine.

He likely won't light up the scoresheet day in and day out but will make an impact in other areas of the game, similar to Brendan Morrow or Dustin Brown.
He will also likely be the guy screening the goalie on our PP....and where will Tlusty be?

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

Great to hear from someone who has actually seen Paradis play. From the sounds of it, I've heard very similar things from others that have seen him play. Sounds like at least he'll be a big character guy who can play in the bottom six. And though you won't see it around here often, those guys are essential to any strong team.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:54 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
For DiDominico:

Dont get me wrong, he has skills. He is a very talented goal scorer. If i want a guy on a powerplay i want him on my team.

But even in the warm-up the thing he practice the most is his shot at the faceoff circle. I've seen so many of his goals here and they look the same. Some trick like this one doesnt always work at higher levels. I mean if he can adapt his play to higher speed then you will be lucky to have this guy in your team. But from what i have seen, it's not the best goal scorer that make it to the NHL, but the ones who can adapt themselves and that are able to learn new ways to score.
DiDomenico's game from my knowledge is more well rounded because his offensive stats as anyone can tell are very good and when he went to Drummondville he was put in a defensive role. This is probably, or most likely, why his coach there called him the best player on his team last season.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
so your both admitting to being at least semi-********?

He started the season on pace for a 30+ goal rookie campaign. If you actually watch the games you'll see he's got an epic skill set, and does much much more then his side of the net goals, though if you think those are so easy, why don't all players just do it?

W/o checking the #s i believe he could still hit the 60pt mark, as a rookie who experienced a MAJOR slump (rookie wall). He went through the longest scoring slump of his life, 17 games w/o a goal, according to his father his previous high was 4 or 5 games.

Duchene is a better skater, and more polished defensively... the rest of his tools are not JT level, he's not as good on the dot, his release is more predictable, his shot less accurate and less powerful, the hands are miles apart as is the on ice vision. If you about to say "Matt has more pts", well ya, look at his line-mates (and if your about to say look at Moulson, your simply proving you have not watched the games).

-- gotta run--
I guess you havn't watched him at all with the Islanders . Pretty much all his goals have come from banging in a 2 or 3 footer . JT has been getting 1st line PP time all year and every forward on that team has been thrown on his wing to try to get him going .

Please show me all these superstars that Matt has been playing with because i don't see any .

You should really go to the NY board and check out the many threads on JT .

What the heck does epic skill set mean ? If your waiting for JT to turn into Sid or Ovi then your the semi-******** one .

One last thing , the term rookie wall is more a NBA term than an NHL one . JT has played 70 + games the last 4 years in the O , College b-ball players play less than 40 games . Hence the reason they may hit a wall based on a much longer season than there used too .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I think people are overlooking the intangibles he brings with his game and just looking at his offensive stats. Fact is, Leafs don't have many players in their system with his package of physical ability and hands.
this is very interesting. what exactly are paradis' intangibles? sprdave tells us that paradis, "plays with a ton of heart and leaves it all on the ice". sounds like you would agree? and, this guy supposedly has a fine package of physical ability and hands to go with it? so why on earth can't he score more in the qmjhl? the only explanation is that he simply isn't very good.

general rule of thumb....when a kid is labeled a "checker" at 18 years old, he's not good enough to play in the nhl. you only become a checker when you basic skills aren't good enough for you to be an impact player. when that happens at 18, you're probably not going much further.

we have to realize the basic high skill level required for anyone to play in the nhl, outside of your goon enforcers.

there's a 19-year-old kid who plays in my local jr.b league. 6'3, must be at least 210 lbs. he can really skate, he has good hands, and works his tail off each and every shift. does this mean he can play in the nhl? of course not. he's simply not good enough.

Quote:
If Tlusty doesn't develop his scoring ability to the NHL level, he'll never be an effective NHLer. If Paradis doesn't develop his scoring ability, he still can be an effective 3rd liner.
highly unlikely given paradis' lack of scoring as an 18-year-old in the q. its much more likely he simply isn't good enough to play in the nhl.

Quote:
He was 8th in the Q in hits, averaging 2.63/game. Only 3 of those ahead of him had more points than him (Paquette, Bourque, Brannon). He's younger than all three, bigger than all three, and arguably better skater than two (for sure better than Paquette who is pretty slow, maybe Brannon). He'll be more effective for the Leafs than Tlusty ever would have been imo. Fits Burke's ideal 3rd liner role perfectly.
again, he's probably not good enough to play any role in the nhl.

on a side note, i really like that paquette. there's a burke type player if i've ever seen one.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Please tell me you've seen the kid play to come up with the opinion that he's not a very good junior player. Beside just looking up his stats.
i've seen him twice. but i'm basing this strictly on stats. good junior forwards score more than he did at 18 years old.

funny how we can use strictly stats to talk about nazem kadri and predict his wonderful future, but when the stats are not on our side, we are supposed to have more to go on.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
mlugia
That other guy

Quote:
this is very interesting. what exactly are paradis' intangibles? sprdave tells us that paradis, "plays with a ton of heart and leaves it all on the ice". sounds like you would agree? and, this guy supposedly has a fine package of physical ability and hands to go with it? so why on earth can't he score more in the qmjhl? the only explanation is that he simply isn't very good.

general rule of thumb....when a kid is labeled a "checker" at 18 years old, he's not good enough to play in the nhl. you only become a checker when you basic skills aren't good enough for you to be an impact player. when that happens at 18, you're probably not going much further.

we have to realize the basic high skill level required for anyone to play in the nhl, outside of your goon enforcers.

there's a 19-year-old kid who plays in my local jr.b league. 6'3, must be at least 210 lbs. he can really skate, he has good hands, and works his tail off each and every shift. does this mean he can play in the nhl? of course not. he's simply not good enough.

highly unlikely given paradis' lack of scoring as an 18-year-old in the q. its much more likely he simply isn't good enough to play in the nhl.

again, he's probably not good enough to play any role in the nhl.

on a side note, i really like that paquette. there's a burke type player if i've ever seen one.
I don't know about your first point, since Colton Gillies was drafted in the 1st because of his checker label, and he looks like he will make a decent bottom 6er. (A safe pick, basically)

I wouldn't agree being labelled as a checker in jrs means he's likely not good enough for the NHL, especially if there's something about his checking ability in his draft year that got him a top 60 ranking from the scouts.

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
i've seen him twice. but i'm basing this strictly on stats. good junior forwards score more than he did at 18 years old.

funny how we can use strictly stats to talk about nazem kadri and predict his wonderful future, but when the stats are not on our side, we are supposed to have more to go on.
Who said we can use strictly stats to talk about Kadri? I'd imagine that since he was a recent first rounder that we drafted, plays relatively close to Toronto, and has played in the WJC that people have seen this kid play before they make opinions.

It doesn't matter who the player is, I just don't understand how people can develop such strong opinions on a player when they've never seen him play.

Old
03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Who said we can use strictly stats to talk about Kadri? I'd imagine that since he was a recent first rounder that we drafted, plays relatively close to Toronto, and has played in the WJC that people have seen this kid play before they make opinions.

It doesn't matter who the player is, I just don't understand how people can develop such strong opinions on a player when they've never seen him play.
There's no point chasing down red herrings.

Frankie knows as well as the rest of us that there have been plenty of people here who have seen Kadri play and have shared their insights and observations. He also knows that there are a plethora of opinions about Kadri's potential amongst posters here. So why he persists with these kind of irrelevant tangents and misleading generalisations is anyone's guess.

Last edited by Courage*: 03-30-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:20 PM
selltrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's because Irwin is billed as a top six talent who can step in in the next few days, whereas Paradis is a project not scheduled to make it for years, if ever.
might be the stupidest logic I've heard. A 19 year old who was a 1st round pick, now based on your knowledge is not scheduled to make it ever, and Irwin at 23 never drafted is a top six talent. If this is true Burke should be fired right now

selltrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
There's no point chasing down red herrings.

Frankie knows as well as the rest of us that there have been plenty of people here who have seen Kadri play and have shared their insights and observations. He also knows that there are a plethora of opinions about Kadri's potential amongst posters here. So why he persists with these kind of irrelevant tangents and misleading generalisations is anyone's guess.
No real need to guess because the answer is pretty obvious.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugia View Post
I don't know about your first point, since Colton Gillies was drafted in the 1st because of his checker label, and he looks like he will make a decent bottom 6er. (A safe pick, basically)
he was picked after 148 pims in the whl, so i'm guessing his fighting abilities had something to do with him being drafted as well. he also still hasn't made it as an nhler, so i'd say the jury is certainly still out. but, lets say that he is an exception to the rule. if this guy was drafted as a checker, to be a checker, and goes on to be a checker, he is a very, very rare bird.

on the other issue, this type of pick being a safe pick, i'd call it a really stupid pick. decent bottom 6 nhlers are available all the time, every summer, and don't cost much. i don't know why a team would intentionally try to draft this type of player in the first round.

Quote:
I wouldn't agree being labelled as a checker in jrs means he's likely not good enough for the NHL, especially if there's something about his checking ability in his draft year that got him a top 60 ranking from the scouts.
checking ability consists of two things: hard work and attention to detail. both things a player focusses on after his basic skills aren't enough anymore.