HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke will be on The Bill Watters Show today at 5:25 pm EDT (March 29, 2010)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2010, 04:42 PM
  #26
Revolt
Registered User
 
Revolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Hinted at sending players to the minors.

/bye Finger?

Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:42 PM
  #27
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo
 
Daisy Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgobie View Post
Just tuned in, referring to Brayden Irwin gonna play at least 1 game this year.
Will burn off 1 year off his contract just like Hanson. (I dunno why they do this)

Says his skating is unconventional. Hopes he'll spend 1/2 year in AHL next year and makes the team.
that's what was confusing me. Why on earth will they burn a year off the contract to play him 1 game? (or like 6 if he stays up)? makes no sense to me.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:47 PM
  #28
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Sending Finger to the minors is the only thing to do. It makes zero sense to buy him out. I'd be VERY upset if they did that.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:48 PM
  #29
ovechkin93*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Finger to minors, Kaberle trade ?

Burke was on AM640 today and he said a couple of things that stuck out to me. He was asked about his salary cap for July 1st. Bill Watters speculated that he will have 4 million left for 3 players after he resigns 4 rfa's. Burke then suggested that he(bill watters) isn't considering that they might send someone (most likely finger) to the minors to clear cap and that they might trade someone with a big cap hit (Kaberle has one of the biggest cap hits on the team).

If Burke wasn't planning or thinking about Trading Kaberle on draft day and sending finger down then I don't think he would have mentioned it.

I know this is strictly 'reading between the lines' so don't trash me on that but I really believe that Burke was implying that we will trade off someone with a big cap hit and send someone with a big cap hit down.

Finger has a cap-hit of 3.5mil, Kaberle has a cap hit of 4.25mil, and they expect to have 4mill left after resigning Mitchel, Hanson, Gustavson, Kulemin. So with 11.75mil in cap space to sign 4 players...what could we do?

ovechkin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:50 PM
  #30
aDaMo41
 
aDaMo41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
that's what was confusing me. Why on earth will they burn a year off the contract to play him 1 game? (or like 6 if he stays up)? makes no sense to me.
If that's an agreed upon stipulation in the contract then what does it really matter?

I mean if the extra year is added in so he can get some games in this year, then it's not like the Leafs are losing a year of his contract.

aDaMo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:51 PM
  #31
aDaMo41
 
aDaMo41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Sending Finger to the minors is the only thing to do. It makes zero sense to buy him out. I'd be VERY upset if they did that.
I dunno if Finger even cracks the Marlies top 6 next year..........

aDaMo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:52 PM
  #32
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
that's what was confusing me. Why on earth will they burn a year off the contract to play him 1 game? (or like 6 if he stays up)? makes no sense to me.
I think it is part of the deal, he signs to give him a chance in the NHL, if you read the article on Butler joining the Sen's, he stated that they would play him for the rest of the year in the NHL and thats why he signed there and they are going to play him in the play-offs as well.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:52 PM
  #33
Casey Ryback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Do you believe in magic? Cause I hope you do!

Casey Ryback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:53 PM
  #34
facey
Registered User
 
facey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Irwin
-He's big and despite a non-conventional skating style he gets around quiet well (swoopie and carries momentum well in direction changes).
-He'll get @ least one game with the leafs this season, perhaps more if he earns it.
-He's finishing his degree, Maple Leafs will accommodate this.
-He's betwen 1/2 and 1 season from the NHL, could be sooner if Brayden impresses in camp.

Regarding Kulemin
-Sign him to a fair-value for multi year deal, or a qualifying offer & hope/risk for offer sheets

Bozak
-Doesn't believe he's a small C. He was in the mid 190's to start this season, some bad luck had him drop an incredible amount, he'll work hard this off season and come back a proper NHL centre-man size.

Kadri
-Amazing OHL season, excellent on ice changes in play.
-Doing some of the off-ice things we've asked of him.
-Not a member of the team yet, and won't be until he comes to camp ready to be.

Regarding Cap; the figure is something like 4M for 3 players next year *if* (Burke jumped in here):
-No big contracts are traded
-No one is sent to minors
-None of the RFA's are lost to offer sheets
-He did not disagree with "putting on a show on July 1st".

I'm not sure what you guys wanted/expected to hear, but I'm extremely excited with the Leafs moving forwards, and have really enjoyed Burke's approach.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:56 PM
  #35
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habby93 View Post
Burke was on AM640 today and he said a couple of things that stuck out to me. He was asked about his salary cap for July 1st. Bill Watters speculated that he will have 4 million left for 3 players after he resigns 4 rfa's. Burke then suggested that he(bill watters) isn't considering that they might send someone (most likely finger) to the minors to clear cap and that they might trade someone with a big cap hit (Kaberle has one of the biggest cap hits on the team).

If Burke wasn't planning or thinking about Trading Kaberle on draft day and sending finger down then I don't think he would have mentioned it.

I know this is strictly 'reading between the lines' so don't trash me on that but I really believe that Burke was implying that we will trade off someone with a big cap hit and send someone with a big cap hit down.

Finger has a cap-hit of 3.5mil, Kaberle has a cap hit of 4.25mil, and they expect to have 4mill left after resigning Mitchel, Hanson, Gustavson, Kulemin. So with 11.75mil in cap space to sign 4 players...what could we do?
You can't forget that a player that they will get in a Kaberle trade will also be making a good amount of money. Or a player that is due to make a lot of money.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
  #36
Stats01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
Let's not get our panties all up in a bunch here.

Burke said Hanson was top 6 too, which he is not nor will he ever be.
This. We already see what people's reactions are to Hanson already and he hasn't even played a full season yet, I wouldn't get too excited. I totally agree, Hanson is not a top 6 forward and will never be one unless something seriously miraculous happens.

I haven't seen Irwin play so I take what Burke's saying with a grain of salt.


Last edited by Stats01: 03-29-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
  #37
dionysios*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: edmonton AB
Country: Greece
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Does anyone have a link so I can listen to what Burke said?? I missed it

dionysios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:18 PM
  #38
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,049
vCash: 500
Man Leaf fans are tough. Hanson has been stereo typed into a maybe bottom 6 player before even completing a year in the NHL. Burke is 100% correct Leaf fans would not tolerate nor could they stomach a suppossed traditional "re-build".

I really am surprsied at our collective lack of patiance with all these young players. Mitchell is already a bust with some of you and the next target is Hanson.

Hopefully Gustavvsson does not have a sophmore year next year. he will be the next to be banished.


The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
  #39
67Cup
Registered User
 
67Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Man Leaf fans are tough. Hanson has been stereo typed into a maybe bottom 6 player before even completing a year in the NHL. Burke is 100% correct Leaf fans would not tolerate nor could they stomach a suppossed traditional "re-build".

I really am surprsied at our collective lack of patiance with all these young players. Mitchell is already a bust with some of you and the next target is Hanson.

Hopefully Gustavvsson does not have a sophmore year next year. he will be the next to be banished.

Disagree with one point, agree with another.

Internet grousing is not a sign that Leaf fans would not put up with a traditional rebuild. Stopping buying tickets would be the actual sign. Actually, if there is one franchise in the league where it is absolutely clear that the fans would stick with the team through a rebuild it is the Leafs. The Leaf fan base has stayed patient through 43 years, often marked by utterly incompetent managment. Why in heaven's name would anybody think they wouldn't hang in for 4 or 5 years under a competent GM? The board of MLSE might not support a rebuild... but the Leaf fan base would keep supporting the team all the way through.... in the only way that matters.

But I agree that it is way early to despair of Hanson showing offensive skills. He did show those skills with the Marlies, after all.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
  #40
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
that's what was confusing me. Why on earth will they burn a year off the contract to play him 1 game? (or like 6 if he stays up)? makes no sense to me.
I'm guessing that's probably part of the deal they signed with the player - the leafs had to be one of the teams that were willing to burn a year by having him play this year.

If they weren't willing to do that, he would have signed with a team that was.

That's what I guess is happening. Sort of a loophole in the rookie contracts that players can exploit.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:27 PM
  #41
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Man Leaf fans are tough. Hanson has been stereo typed into a maybe bottom 6 player before even completing a year in the NHL. Burke is 100% correct Leaf fans would not tolerate nor could they stomach a suppossed traditional "re-build".

I really am surprsied at our collective lack of patiance with all these young players. Mitchell is already a bust with some of you and the next target is Hanson.

Hopefully Gustavvsson does not have a sophmore year next year. he will be the next to be banished.

Hanson simply doesn't seem to have the tools to be a top 6 player. Many believed that when he was signed. Bozak was always the one with strong top 6 potential.

And the ACC selling out every single game says Toronto could definitely stand a long-term rebuild.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:28 PM
  #42
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Hanson has been stereo typed into a maybe bottom 6 player before even completing a year in the NHL.
a year? why so generous.

leaf fans have pigeonholed him as having no upside here just 25 games into his career.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:33 PM
  #43
Rude Dog
Registered User
 
Rude Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Even though he hasn't scored, I actually like Hanson. I think he has the ability to score 10 - 15 goals if he plants himself in front of the net. Big body. Works hard. I have no problem with Hanson, even if it's on the bottom two lines.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:36 PM
  #44
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I'm guessing that's probably part of the deal they signed with the player - the leafs had to be one of the teams that were willing to burn a year by having him play this year.

If they weren't willing to do that, he would have signed with a team that was.

That's what I guess is happening. Sort of a loophole in the rookie contracts that players can exploit.
And maybe it is better from a cap standpoint if Burke has fewer ELC in the system. Theoretically the second year with a new contract the player could have a larger salary but the Leafs have a lower cap hit because of no bonuses pending.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
  #45
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Man Leaf fans are tough. Hanson has been stereo typed into a maybe bottom 6 player before even completing a year in the NHL. Burke is 100% correct Leaf fans would not tolerate nor could they stomach a suppossed traditional "re-build".

I really am surprsied at our collective lack of patiance with all these young players. Mitchell is already a bust with some of you and the next target is Hanson.

Hopefully Gustavvsson does not have a sophmore year next year. he will be the next to be banished.

If Leaf fans have tolerated a piss-poor rebuild these last 4 years, then i'm pretty sure they would have stomached a proper rebuild just fine.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
  #46
GE0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
If nothing else, these immediate playing opportunities (Hanson last year, Irwin this year) should have only a positive contribution to the overall effort of attracting future collegiate free agents the Leafs seek to sign.

It's not as though the Leafs have much to lose, really.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:43 PM
  #47
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
If Leaf fans have tolerated a piss-poor rebuild these last 4 years, then i'm pretty sure they would have stomached a proper rebuild just fine.
Poor chocie of words on my part, should have been more specific. Leaf posters on this board. That is the point I was making.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
  #48
jimmyjames
 
jimmyjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
a year? why so generous.

leaf fans have pigeonholed him as having no upside here just 25 games into his career.
well its actually 30 (5 last year) but i agree i made a post about this in the irwin signing thread.

the posters here generally think Stalberg can be a top six guy dispite having only slightly more points than Hanson in similar games played and not having as well-rounded of a game.

jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
  #49
EternallyLeafs
doris
 
EternallyLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Burlington
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
well its actually 30 (5 last year) but i agree i made a post about this in the irwin signing thread.

the posters here generally think Stalberg can be a top six guy dispite having only slightly more points than Hanson in similar games played and not having as well-rounded of a game.
People consider Hanson bottom 6 because of his inability to control the puck. He is also not the fastest guy out there. Stalberg actually is pretty solid defensively and he can fly, and his hands are not bad either. Personally, this is why I consider Hanson a fourth liner and Stalberg (as of right now) a third liner with top six potential.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:32 PM
  #50
jimmyjames
 
jimmyjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyLeafs View Post
People consider Hanson bottom 6 because of his inability to control the puck. He is also not the fastest guy out there. Stalberg actually is pretty solid defensively and he can fly, and his hands are not bad either. Personally, this is why I consider Hanson a fourth liner and Stalberg (as of right now) a third liner with top six potential.
I like Stalberg, don't get me wrong and he is decent defensively, but Hanson is better defensively and doesn't make as many mistakes.

Hanson is not slow he is one of the faster guys from what I see (stalberg has amazing speed, granted)

and sorry but i must disagree about Stalberg's hands, if they were anything more than decent he would have potted several more goals this season with his speed. How many breaks or partial breaks has he had and not converted?

they should both be considered 3rd liners as of right now and we should not bother speculating on where they will end up because it is anyone's guess.

jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.