HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brian Burke will be on The Bill Watters Show today at 5:25 pm EDT (March 29, 2010)

Old
03-29-2010, 06:40 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
I like Stalberg, don't get me wrong and he is decent defensively, but Hanson is better defensively and doesn't make as many mistakes.

Hanson is not slow he is one of the faster guys from what I see (stalberg has amazing speed, granted)

and sorry but i must disagree about Stalberg's hands, if they were anything more than decent he would have potted several more goals this season with his speed. How many breaks or partial breaks has he had and not converted?

they should both be considered 3rd liners as of right now and we should not bother speculating on where they will end up because it is anyone's guess.
Fair Enough. I just think that Stalberg has more upside(I know that they hardly have any NHL games between them). I just think that speed is such a big part of today's game that he could eventually start putting the puck in the net next year, with the number of opportunities he's had. However, I think Hanson could be effective for the Leafs if he started to throw the body around a bit more, and stood in front of the net more frequently. If he's not putting them in or setting them up, he could at least screen the goalie.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Man Leaf fans are tough. Hanson has been stereo typed into a maybe bottom 6 player before even completing a year in the NHL. Burke is 100% correct Leaf fans would not tolerate nor could they stomach a suppossed traditional "re-build".
?

First off, Hanson's mostly looked like a 4th liner so far, maybe a borderline 3rd liner at best. 0 goals in 25 games? He hasn't shown signs of any kind of offence, so why would people pencil him in to the top 6 right away? And why does looking at the results actually produced and judging them on their own merits have anything to do with tolerating a rebuild? It's funny because your comment is unintentionally reflective of the way a lot of Leaf fans think. Everybody has top 6 upside, or is on pace to do this or that.

If Hanson really wants to be a top 6 forward, he's going to have to show some kind of ability to score first...even a little bit. This is probably a more than generous qualification to play in the top 6, no?? It's more than possible he finishes the season without scoring a goal.

As for tolerating a rebuild or not, nobody really knows the answer to that because the Leafs have never rebuilt in any traditional sense anytime recently. What they're doing now is the closest thing to it in a long, long time.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:43 PM
jimmyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyLeafs View Post
Fair Enough. I just think that Stalberg has more upside(I know that they hardly have any NHL games between them). I just think that speed is such a big part of today's game that he could eventually start putting the puck in the net next year, with the number of opportunities he's had. However, I think Hanson could be effective for the Leafs if he started to throw the body around a bit more, and stood in front of the net more frequently. If he's not putting them in or setting them up, he could at least screen the goalie.
yeah, you are not as fanatical about the Hanson thing as some and I mostly agree with you. Hanson does hit and stand infront of the net quite a bit but he should make it his mission to finish every single check that he can at his size.

I think they should give him a chance at standing infront of the net on the second PP but wilson seems intent on Caputi doing that job, which is fine, but i think Hanson deserves a shot at it, he's huge.

jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Man Leaf fans are tough. Hanson has been stereo typed into a maybe bottom 6 player before even completing a year in the NHL. Burke is 100% correct Leaf fans would not tolerate nor could they stomach a suppossed traditional "re-build".

I really am surprsied at our collective lack of patiance with all these young players. Mitchell is already a bust with some of you and the next target is Hanson.

Hopefully Gustavvsson does not have a sophmore year next year. he will be the next to be banished.

It's not that we are saying they're busts, just IMO there are some on here who are expecting too much from Hanson. In college he was never a pts guy, he never put up the numbers so why people would expect him to just suddenly change in the NHL is kind of weird. Burke said Hanson had the * potential* to be a top 6 guy in his mind, does that make him an automatic top 6 guy or we should believe everything Burke says absolutely not.

Last edited by Stats01: 03-29-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Stephen

Quote:

I really am surprsied at our collective lack of patiance with all these young players. Mitchell is already a bust with some of you and the next target is Hanson.

Hopefully Gustavvsson does not have a sophmore year next year. he will be the next to be banished.

Not sure I agree. Just because a bunch of mouthy posters on hfboards are hyper critical of everything doesn't mean we're not patient in a way that affects the real world. As much as we can be impatient, we still buy tickets, buy scalped tickets, fill the seats, tune in on Saturdays, go to the bars, buy the merchandise, etc.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Tonka
Keslerberg strikes

I pray that Burke does not get Marleau/Pleckanec/Frolov...I dont want any of these guys...I just want Bobby Ryan darnit!

But in all seriousness...those guys are not the answer for Leaf's future...the last thing I want our team to do is make the same mistake that Philadelphia, New York and Montreal have made...taking on huge contracts long term.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
I pray that Burke does not get Marleau/Pleckanec/Frolov...I dont want any of these guys...I just want Bobby Ryan darnit!

But in all seriousness...those guys are not the answer for Leaf's future...the last thing I want our team to do is make the same mistake that Philadelphia, New York and Montreal have made...taking on huge contracts long term.
Burke is a good GM who is very hesitant to hand out big, long term contracts. He said in an interview this year "the biggest mistakes GMs in the NHL make are on July 1st". I don't see him going after Marleau. I think he will go after Frolov, Torres, Armstrong and Paul Martin(if he trades Kaberle).

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:14 PM
UFancyHuh

http://www.640toronto.com/HostsandSh...ers/Audio.aspx

in case anyone missed it

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
everything burke said about Irwin sounds good and matches what I've seen him do.

Great addition.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
*Irwin was signed targeted to be a top six skills guy; that's why he was signed.

*Irwin will play a game. [So maybe Thursday/Saturday]. Burke promised his folks that this wouldn't mess his graduation. Nor will it burn his eligibility.. regarding his contract that. [I dunno, this is confused me].
[I love how Burke made this deal with his parents heh]

*Irwin skates weird, but Burke doesn't think he needs a lot of time in the minors, but this is up to him [Irwin]

*Re: Kulemin; Burke says that the "threat" of KHL was a nothing comment. He wants a fair deal, and if he can't get it; then Kulemin is gone. if Kule wants to stay, they'll get a deal. Re: Gustavasson: Burke says again he wants to sign a fair deal with Gus, but if he doesn't want to, he can wait for an offer sheet. He doesn't really care (hee).

*Burke gets irritated when people boast about having a great "March" or a great 2-3rd period. it's an 82 game season/60 minute game. That's why he got pissed last year. This year, the team is younger, and they are clearly working harder, it's proof in the pudding. He also doesn't care what people say or think about how he's running the team. [Lmao - this dude asked Burke if he can drop off suggestions to his office.... this is hilarious]. So he listens to the comments but doesn't respond.

*Re: centremen. Not committed in saying that Bozak is small. (Can put weight on). Kadri is not committed to being on the team until he's made the team. The defense is near where it needs. Goaltending is good. So he's preparing for centremen shopping UFA Day. (But not a "BIG" guy).

*Burke is eh about only having 4 million for 3 players. [Because he can trade ppl, bury money and stuff].

The end.
not sure how he figures 4 million for 3 guys. The only bigger raises will be Kule and Gustavson. The two of them should only add like 3 million tops to our cap which should leave us with 8 million not including sending finger down.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:36 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
not sure how he figures 4 million for 3 guys. The only bigger raises will be Kule and Gustavson. The two of them should only add like 3 million tops to our cap which should leave us with 8 million not including sending finger down.
FYI Watters is an idiot.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:44 AM
ansah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
FYI Watters is an idiot.
I could hear that Burke felt the same way when he responded to that question

ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post

Add in Kadri, and resigning Hanson, and it becomes a whole lot tighter. Our current cap situ leaves us with about 11 mil without resigning anyone. 3 mil for Kule, 1.8 or so for Gus, and its down to about 6. Kadri, if he plays and has bonus included is almost 2. Hanson is probaly gonna get in the 1 mil range. Down to 3

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Add in Kadri, and resigning Hanson, and it becomes a whole lot tighter. Our current cap situ leaves us with about 11 mil without resigning anyone. 3 mil for Kule, 1.8 or so for Gus, and its down to about 6. Kadri, if he plays and has bonus included is almost 2. Hanson is probaly gonna get in the 1 mil range. Down to 3
Well if he's going center shopping, and adding a center from within (Kadri), isn't it safe to say Grabovski is probably traded?

Add in Finger going to the minors, and Kaberles 4.5? mil being traded for a younger, cheaper player, and it'll be fine.

Just because teams can't trade now doesn't mean they don't talk lol.

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
hackeynight

Irwin will be on Hockey Central at Noon today - Not sure when but between 12:30-2:00

hackeynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansah View Post
I could hear that Burke felt the same way when he responded to that question
Watters has also said on the air that he didnt think Kaberle would get back more than a middling prospect and a late ROUND pick.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote