HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

iPhones for Verizon? Yes!

Old
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
iPhones for Verizon? Yes!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_Tech_LEADTop

Old
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Great news.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

The overpriced phones will pair with the overpriced contracts nicely!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
CloudReader

On the heels of the Nexus One (which is arguably flopping) being available for AT&T / Rogers.

CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Henrik Maneuver

"People briefed on the matter" have been saying this for years. Furthermore, this 2007 USA Today article says that AT&T is exclusive for 5 years, which would take them to 2012. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireles...t-iphone_N.htm . I think iPhone on more carriers would be super but ... it's like the NHL to Winnipeg rumours.

Henrik Maneuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
"People briefed on the matter" have been saying this for years. Furthermore, this 2007 USA Today article says that AT&T is exclusive for 5 years, which would take them to 2012. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireles...t-iphone_N.htm . I think iPhone on more carriers would be super but ... it's like the NHL to Winnipeg rumours.
That's when the world is ending. Coincidence? I think not!

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

The reports seem more believable this time around. Although I'm still skeptical, this is the 134487762 rumor about a CDMA iPhone going to Verizon.

AT&T stated they doing believe there will ever be a CDMA iPhone, but I can just imagine the fear in the back of their minds at the very idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
On the heels of the Nexus One (which is arguably flopping) being available for AT&T / Rogers.
As much as I am probably seen as an Android fanboy here on Geek Emporium and will sound like I'm coming up with excuses, there are reasons for the poor sales of the Nexus One.

#1 Google is trying to reverse an ugly trend in North America where the culture of subsidized phones runs so deep it's seems unthinkable to buy a phone outright for $200+ or a smartphone for $400+ while in the long run the contract will cost you FAR MORE than if you bought a phone outright.

#2 They unveiled it for 3G band on America's #4 Network. I don't know if Google feels like they owe T-Mobile for being gutsy enough to take a chance on the G1, but Google, seriously look at how well the Droid sold because it's on Verizon it's all in the numbers.

#3 ZERO advertising NOT EVEN ON THE INTERNET where Google is the AD KING! All sales have been purely from word to mouth and the tech blogosphere, this ties in to the Droid # being so good, they advertized the **** out of the Droid, it simply worked.

#4 They only sell em' online. People still buy **** in store! I know it's unbelievable but apparently having some demo unit or even a stupid dummy phone helps sell phones!

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
CloudReader

Those aren't excuses; they are the reasons for the disappointing sales figures, especially marketing and carrier restriction. Doesn't take away from the phone itself though, which is too bad in this highly competitve mobile arms race.

And don't underestimate the availiblity of a hands-on demo. To see it, hold it, use it might just entice that many more people to (impulse?) purchase it, and is in itself another medium for marketing.

CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

This has only been rumored ever year for the last 3 years.

03-29-2010, 09:45 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I actually believe it this time - AT&T's 3g coverage is pretty lousy, and there's only so much of a market in the US with them. 90 million subscribers is a lot to turn their back on, and this would finally put an end to those horrible commercials with Luke Wilson.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:07 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Just like Rogers exclusive rights to IPhone ended last fall when Telus and Bell finally got the IPhone with help from their revamped network..

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I actually believe it this time - AT&T's 3g coverage is pretty lousy, and there's only so much of a market in the US with them. 90 million subscribers is a lot to turn their back on, and this would finally put an end to those horrible commercials with Luke Wilson.
I've believed it for awhile. I'm sure it will happen eventually. Will it be this time? Who knows.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
All signs point to this happening.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TomPlex

Knowing Google, they will find a way to pick up the sales for the N1. As stated above, there was NO marketing for the N1 yet they're still doing well enough for a phone that's only available online. This was probably just a prototype for Google ANYWAY. You know they're working on something far better right now...

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Knowing Google, they will find a way to pick up the sales for the N1. As stated above, there was NO marketing for the N1 yet they're still doing well enough for a phone that's only available online. This was probably just a prototype for Google ANYWAY. You know they're working on something far better right now...
Once the N1 comes out on Verizon, it will sell a lot better.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
ROFL, and I actually used to like Luke Wilson. But this is really what has me believing the rumors this time around. AT&T is dragging their feet when it comes to expanding and improving their 3G service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride The Lightning View Post
Just like Rogers exclusive rights to IPhone ended last fall when Telus and Bell finally got the IPhone with help from their revamped network..
You know Rogers never really had "exclusivity". It was just Rogers/Fido having the only GSM/HSPA network in Canada and conveniently having exactly the same frequencies as AT&T.

Quote:
Those aren't excuses; they are the reasons for the disappointing sales figures, especially marketing and carrier restriction. Doesn't take away from the phone itself though, which is too bad in this highly competitve mobile arms race.
You know with the AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus version should have come with a subsidy option like the T-Mobile Version. It would have eased the subsidy drunk people into getting the Nexus One.

Quote:
And don't underestimate the availiblity of a hands-on demo. To see it, hold it, use it might just entice that many more people to (impulse?) purchase it, and is in itself another medium for marketing.
I was being sarcastic.

Old
03-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
#1 Google is trying to reverse an ugly trend in North America where the culture of subsidized phones runs so deep it's seems unthinkable to buy a phone outright for $200+ or a smartphone for $400+ while in the long run the contract will cost you FAR MORE than if you bought a phone outright.
I just don't see this. I will pay $740 for my data plan with ATT over 2 years for my Iphone. I have a 3GS 16GB. What is that phone worth new? $500? I paid $200. Than means I will have paid $18 bucks a month for my data plan over 2 years. Doesn't seem to out of whack to me.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I just don't see this. I will pay $740 for my data plan with ATT over 2 years for my Iphone. I have a 3GS 16GB. What is that phone worth new? $500? I paid $200. Than means I will have paid $18 bucks a month for my data plan over 2 years. Doesn't seem to out of whack to me.
Sorry if I'm interpreting this wrong I haven't had much sleep in the past 3 days but;

$740 total data plan cost after 24 months + $200 upfront =/= $500. and $740/24 =/= $18 per month

But yeah my math could be off with only 12 hours of sleep in the last 3 days... I could also be misinterpreting which I think I have....

Old
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Sorry if I'm interpreting this wrong I haven't had much sleep in the past 3 days but;

$740 total data plan cost after 24 months + $200 upfront =/= $500. and $740/24 =/= $18 per month

But yeah my math could be off with only 12 hours of sleep in the last 3 days... I could also be misinterpreting which I think I have....
No Prob. Mine was a little off too.

I saved 300 on the phone, so 30x24=720 - 300 = 420 and 420 / 24 = 17.50 a month

I think that's right.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:28 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I don't think AT&T would like Verizon getting it, Sprint may not have as big of an impact though. I got a feeling it will go to Sprint because AT&T will do whatever it can to keep it off the Verizon network(explains the "3 years of rumors").

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:33 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Awesome.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote