HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Sucker Punches: Domi vs Samuelsson, or McCarty vs Lemieux

View Poll Results: Which Sucker Punch Did You Enjoy Seeing The Most?
Domi vs Samuelsson 41 56.94%
McCarty vs Lemieux 31 43.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
jkrx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I don't really care whether he's a fighter. If you are going to play dirty, you should be aware that you will be expected to answer the bell. If you don't like that, don't play dirty.

Moore wasn't a fighter either yet after the Naslund hit (which in my opinion was far less dirty than a lot of things I've seen Samuelsson and Lemieux do), he willingly answered the bell to the first comer. He didn't answer the second comer but he shouldn't have had to, he did the honourable thing already.
Answer the bell? How are you suposed to answer the bell when some mickey mouse fighter throws a fist in your face? Domi was a dirty player too and Ulfie might have some almost career ending stuff in his resume Domi has some almost life ending.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Steveio*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Answer the bell? How are you suposed to answer the bell when some mickey mouse fighter throws a fist in your face? Domi was a dirty player too and Ulfie might have some almost career ending stuff in his resume Domi has some almost life ending.
His point was Domi was always ready to fight whoever he had to on the ice. Ulfi is a completely other story. He rarely fought and picked his spots. He ended 3 NHL careers and Tie Domi ended 0 NHL careers. Both dirty players but one of them was the most hated in the NHL player at the time and his last name wasn't Domi.

Steveio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Domi-Samuelsson, he certainly had that coming. Plus I always liked Claude. But one thing I did like about Ulfie, he knew the deal and accepted the fact that he played like a jerk and had this kind of thing coming to him. If I recall, he held no grudge on this and did no whining about it.

MakoSlade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
26 Years of Fail

Definitely the Domi-Samuelsson shot. Lemieux answered the bell for the Draper hit when given the opportunity, plus he didn't have nearly the cheapshot pedigree that Ulfie had.

My all-time favorite though was Owen Nolan blasting Gino Odjick from behind into the boards while Odjick was repeatedly crosschecking Marco Sturm in the back. Gino was lying in a crumpled heap and I didn't feel one ounce of sympathy for him.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Definitely the Domi-Samuelsson shot.
Second this. I remember watching the game live on CBC. Man that was a nasty punch.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Loved seeing Pepe straight up jacked by McCarty. Can watch that over and over and it never gets old.

Same with Ulfie getting ruined by Domi.

Both guys deserved what they got.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Should be a both option in the poll, heheh.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:56 PM
c-carp

I personally enjoyed Domi on Samuelson more because Ulfie had that coming for a long time and Domi got him good which made it even better.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 04:39 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Boozer

vCash: 50
Ya, I don't like Domi but Samuelsson deserved everything he got.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:59 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
I read somewhere that in Domi's last season with the Jets Samuelsson speared Domi in the nuts and then wouldn't answer the bell, and Domi wanted some revenge. The next time they played each other wasn't until the game where the sucker punch took place. I will try to find the article

Edit: I found a review of the spear on Dropyourgloves.com http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...161#Fight63161
That's the stuff people choose to ignore. Just like the Domi-Niedermayer incident. It wasn't random. Niedermayer cut Domi's face in multiple locations with a cross check that, because he was Niedermayer, went uncalled. That elbow happened because of what Niedermayer did and what the officials failed to do. I find it funny how people talk about McSorley/Brashear like it was the craziest stick incident ever when I've seen far worse. In fact one of the worst IMO was Niedermayer (yes same said Scott) on Peter Worrell. What blew me away was it was a full fledged two handed swing straight down on a man's head. If not for his helmet...WOW!

Back to Claude, I don't know if anyone remembers this but it is burned in my mind. Lemieux was sitting on the bench when an opponent got pinned with his head hanging over Claude's bench. You can see Claude clearly look down one end of the ice, then down the other to verify no officials can see and then BAM he delivers a wicked uppercut to the completely defenseless player. Classic Claude.

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Epoch

Quote:
That's the stuff people choose to ignore. Just like the Domi-Niedermayer incident. It wasn't random. Niedermayer cut Domi's face in multiple locations with a cross check that, because he was Niedermayer, went uncalled. That elbow happened because of what Niedermayer did and what the officials failed to do. I find it funny how people talk about McSorley/Brashear like it was the craziest stick incident ever when I've seen far worse. In fact one of the worst IMO was Niedermayer (yes same said Scott) on Peter Worrell. What blew me away was it was a full fledged two handed swing straight down on a man's head. If not for his helmet...WOW!

Back to Claude, I don't know if anyone remembers this but it is burned in my mind. Lemieux was sitting on the bench when an opponent got pinned with his head hanging over Claude's bench. You can see Claude clearly look down one end of the ice, then down the other to verify no officials can see and then BAM he delivers a wicked uppercut to the completely defenseless player. Classic Claude.
I don't know why so many people consider Niedermayer classy. He's done some pretty dirty things himself. People wanted Domi crucified, yet Scott drops his stick like an axe on Worrell's head.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Domi on Samuelsson. Claude was cheap, but wasn't even close to Samuellson in that regard.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Should be a both option in the poll, heheh.
Quoted for truth.

Since the poll only has two choices, I voted for Domi vs. Samuelsson. Ulfie wrecked Cam Neely's leg & thus his career.

Both of these ******** got exactly what he deserved. No pity or sympathy for either of them from me.

BMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:51 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Both were too awesome for me to ever be able to choose.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV 426 View Post
I don't know why so many people consider Niedermayer classy. He's done some pretty dirty things himself. People wanted Domi crucified, yet Scott drops his stick like an axe on Worrell's head.
In 3 decades + of watching hockey, Niedermayer's stick on Worrell was one of the few times my jaw dropped.

Old
04-07-2010, 04:09 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Ulf's.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
His point was Domi was always ready to fight whoever he had to on the ice. Ulfi is a completely other story. He rarely fought and picked his spots. He ended 3 NHL careers and Tie Domi ended 0 NHL careers. Both dirty players but one of them was the most hated in the NHL player at the time and his last name wasn't Domi.
Which careers did he destroy? Ridiculous statement. Domi was ready to fight cause he were an enforcer Ulf was not. Ulf deserves respect though. He never ***** and whined when ppl took revenge on him.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Which careers did he destroy? Ridiculous statement. Domi was ready to fight cause he were an enforcer Ulf was not. Ulf deserves respect though. He never ***** and whined when ppl took revenge on him.
That's a good one.

I just viewed the Neidermayer/Worrell incident. It was bad, but I think Chris Simon's hit on Hollweg was worse.

04-09-2010, 09:24 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Respect is earned. I believe you and I have different definitions of what is to be respected.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
That's a good one.

I just viewed the Neidermayer/Worrell incident. It was bad, but I think Chris Simon's hit on Hollweg was worse.
I'm not saying there haven't been any worse, just it is one of the few times my jaw has dropped.

What gets me is how often these things could be avoided if officials called original penalties (though that wasn't really the case in the Worrell incident).

Old
04-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:

I believe the incident that you refer to happened during the 1995 season and involved Brett Lindros. The clip is shown on Rockem Sockem 7, if I remember correctly.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Domis punch on Samuelsson was probably the most cowardly cheapshot of all times. No matterwhat Ulfie had done before that matters. People who likes this because Ulf was a "dirty" player are hypocrites.

Claude vs. McCarty is another thing though as Claude shoulve expected it. He knew Darren were on the ice and he knew the wings wanted to get him. I enjoyed it but I wouldve enjoyed it more if McCarty got him a bit more fair.
Samuelsson deserved it. Anyone who picked a fight with Ulf cleanly would see him run on skates behind the next biggest teammate, or turtle like a coward. And this was a guy who needed the harsh lessons of a good beating. He would routinely throw a punch or two to someone's face, while wearing a visor, and then run away. If the player went for a big clean hit in retaliation, he would see it coming, brace for it and dive and pretend he was shot in order to draw a penalty.

At that point, players were expected to pay the piper for their actions and enforcers meant something. Ulf never did.

He ended Mondou's career with a stick to the eye after Mondou scored a goal(Samuelsson's stickwork was almost as legendary as his intentional knee on knees)

He wrecked Neely's career in its peak with the intentional knee on knee. He busted Skrudland's leg up very badly, and tried to do the same thing to countless others. Intentionally. Every single game. A knee, a stick to the eye, spearing(To the groin), Butt ending, slew footing, Elbowing, you name it. When he slashed, he aimed for the unprotected area above the glove, and slashed hard enough to break bones. When he knew someone had an injury, he targetted that part of their body every time he was on the ice. He wore pads that were more metallic than actual padding on the outside and the size of football pads so he could check people in the head and knock them out cold. Where do you think he got the nickname Robocop from?

That particular game, he had taken several cheap shots, and then ran away ever time anyone came near him.

Multiple players in the NHL who were generally considered classy, anti-violent players praised Domi's punch in "It is about time", "He deserves a raise", "I usually don't agree with such, but if anyone deserved it..." fashion.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:46 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
I'm not saying there haven't been any worse, just it is one of the few times my jaw has dropped.

What gets me is how often these things could be avoided if officials called original penalties (though that wasn't really the case in the Worrell incident).
Totally agree.

William Faulkner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Quote:
Domis punch on Samuelsson was probably the most cowardly cheapshot of all times. No matterwhat Ulfie had done before that matters. People who likes this because Ulf was a "dirty" player are hypocrites.

Claude vs. McCarty is another thing though as Claude shoulve expected it. He knew Darren were on the ice and he knew the wings wanted to get him. I enjoyed it but I wouldve enjoyed it more if McCarty got him a bit more fair.
No, Samuelsson deserved it.

Actually, he deserved quite a few more as well. Claude was cheap, but he wasn't any Samuelsson.

He was a ****ing disgrace. What he did to players time and time again.. Ugh.

Go back and watch his games. He was throwing elbows, boards, headhunting and purposefully giving players the stick to the face literally every game. If he were playing in todays NHL he'd be suspended every other game. What a piece of ****.

My only regret is taht Domi didn't hit him harder.

Old
04-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Neely speaks the truth.