HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question for blues fans

Old
03-29-2010, 07:36 PM
tmlfanforever23

vCash: 500
Question for blues fans

• Alex Pietrangelo
  • How much of a chance does he have to stay up next year.
  • If he stays up, will he be in the top defensive pairing?
  • David Perron
  • How many points do you reckon he will have next year?
  • What line will he be on next year?
  • Erik Johnson
  • Is he in the top defensive pairing?
  • T.J. Oshie
  • Is this kid on the top line?

tmlfanforever23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:44 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfanforever23 View Post
  • Alex Pietrangelo
  • How much of a chance does he have to stay up next year. Very good chance
  • If he stays up, will he be in the top defensive pairing? Probably not, unless he breaks out like Myers
  • David Perron
  • How many points do you reckon he will have next year? About 60-70
  • What line will he be on next year? First or second
  • Erik Johnson
  • Is he in the top defensive pairing? Yes
  • T.J. Oshie
  • Is this kid on the top line? He currently is, and probably next year too
My answers are in bold.

Last edited by EOM: 03-29-2010 at 07:50 PM.
EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:45 PM
tmlfanforever23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
My answers are in bold.
I appreciate it.

tmlfanforever23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
My answers are in bold.
My answers would be identical to these, except I see no way Pietro makes top defensive pairing. I do think he'll spend the whole year in St Louis...and if he were not to, it would be a huge red flag on his lack of off-season work (in my mind).

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:58 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
My answers would be identical to these, except I see no way Pietro makes top defensive pairing. I do think he'll spend the whole year in St Louis...and if he were not to, it would be a huge red flag on his lack of off-season work (in my mind).
The only way I see him making the top pairing is if he plays at a very high level almost immediately and Payne decides to try EJ and Petro on the top pairing, which should be our top pairing for the future.

Old
03-29-2010, 08:25 PM
STL fan in IA

Both EJ and Petro play the right side so I don't see how Petro gets on the first pairing.

Perron I see getting around 50, maybe 60 pts. He has the potential to score more but until I see more consistency out of him in his play and especially his shooting, I won't expect more than 50 pts from him.

Right now, EJ is tied with Brewer at 2nd most minutes among d-men with an avg of 21:22 minutes/game. Jax averages 22:39 min/game. Brew and EJ are typically paired together (even though that's not how I would have it) and EJ gets a good amount of minutes on the PP but Jax is the leader in icetime 5 on 5 and on the PK with Brewer behind him.

I would say the Blues don't really have a 1st line - they have 2, sometimes 3 2nd lines. Oshie leads all forwards in icetime/game so it is probably safe to call him a 1st liner on this team...although in terms of ability I consider him more of a 2nd liner.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Robb_K

I agree with what TMLFan and Iowa stated above. I'd guess 60-70 points for Perron, Oshie on one of the two top lines, Pietro on the 2nd paining and EJ on the first. Pietro stays up all year next year.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:00 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

I think Pietrangelo will get third pairing minutes his first full year. Johnson is probably going to see his ice time increase by picking up PK minutes, and Polak is still going to receive a lot of minutes playing against the other team's top lines and on the PK.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Pietrangelo averaging 14-16 minutes a game. He might see a little more time if the Blues scrap the notion of using five forwards on some of their PP units and give some point time to Pietrangelo instead.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:54 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I think Pietrangelo will get third pairing minutes his first full year. Johnson is probably going to see his ice time increase by picking up PK minutes, and Polak is still going to receive a lot of minutes playing against the other team's top lines and on the PK.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Pietrangelo averaging 14-16 minutes a game. He might see a little more time if the Blues scrap the notion of using five forwards on some of their PP units and give some point time to Pietrangelo instead.
3rd pairing, but 2nd PP unit...I'm guessing.

Old
03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
stlweir

Unless Pie comes out of the gates playing really well I see the Blues bringing him along slowly with 13-16 minutes a game. The better he plays the more minutes he will earn. The Blues organization really needs Pie to become an all star or near all star a few years down the line.

Coles big splash in his first two AHL games brings hope that he too could be a top 4 defenseman. The Blues said he had an NHL ready body at 18. If he developes quickly the Blues will have a very young and talented D with EJ, Polak, Pie and Cole. Cole being a left handed shot helps him as well. I'd like to see Cola return next season. The guy can skate and his best years are ahead of him.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfanforever23 View Post
  • Alex Pietrangelo
  • How much of a chance does he have to stay up next year. I'd say around 65% depending on the offseason
  • If he stays up, will he be in the top defensive pairing? No.
  • David Perron
  • How many points do you reckon he will have next year? around 50
  • What line will he be on next year? Probably the 2nd
  • Erik Johnson
  • Is he in the top defensive pairing? Yes.
  • T.J. Oshie
  • Is this kid on the top line? Yes.
And there you have it.

Thallis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I'd love to see Perron hit 60-70 points...I just don't see it happening though...at least not next year. He's way too inconsistent and gets tunnel vision in the offensive zone. I'd say 50 points is much more realistic. I'd expect Oshie to lead the team in scoring next year, and play on the first line.

Petro should start the season in the AHL and work his way up. People who are slotting him in for NHL duty right out of camp may be disappointed. I'd actually prefer to see him play the entire season next year in the A.

Stealth JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:40 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
I'd love to see Perron hit 60-70 points...I just don't see it happening though...at least not next year. He's way too inconsistent and gets tunnel vision in the offensive zone. I'd say 50 points is much more realistic. I'd expect Oshie to lead the team in scoring next year, and play on the first line.

Petro should start the season in the AHL and work his way up. People who are slotting him in for NHL duty right out of camp may be disappointed. I'd actually prefer to see him play the entire season next year in the A.
Blues management has given Petro a chance at the NHL level for the previous two seasons. I'm sure they will again next season. If he's ready, he'll be on the team. And I have little doubt he'll be ready.

Old
03-30-2010, 02:20 PM
STL fan in IA

I personally would be pretty surprised if Petro wasn't on the Blues for most if not all of next season. I think the Blues will clearly give him the edge - he'll have to earn it but it seems like he will likly have a spot that's his to lose. His main challenger will be Junland and even though Junland has more pro experience, I'd still give the edge to Petro.

Old
03-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Pietrangelo was sent back to the OHL because he wasn't ready for the NHL. Ideally he'd have played '08-'09 and '09-'10 in Peoria...but CHL rules prevented that. Now that it's a legitimate option, I really do expect to see him dress for the Rivs. The Blues have plenty of options on the blueline, and I don't think they're going to rush him if he's not ready. A year or two in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world, and it may suit him best in the long-run. Polak did it and benefited tremendously. So did Jackman. As far as I'm concerned Strachan and Junland (maybe even Cole) are more NHL ready than Pietrangelo, regardless of how he fares against junior players or the fact that he's got 17 big-boy games under his belt.

Stealth JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
stlweir

Stealth I agree Pie still wasn't NHL ready when he was sent back but he wasn't pushed around like the previous year and pairing him with Brewer didn't do him any favors. Another off season in the weight room and Pie will be all the more ready. I'd be surprised if he doesn't spend the entire season with the Blues. D men take longer to develope and EJ is still a couple of years away from becoming an all star. The Blues have talent in the pipeline and have their draft picks, something this franchise has virtually never had. As of today the Blues would be in the palyoffs if they were in the eastern divison. The Blues need to aquire some/one scorer/s and who/they will make the rest of the team better. The Blues may have taken a step back but their future looks very good to me.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Pietrangelo was sent back to the OHL because he wasn't ready for the NHL. Ideally he'd have played '08-'09 and '09-'10 in Peoria...but CHL rules prevented that. Now that it's a legitimate option, I really do expect to see him dress for the Rivs. The Blues have plenty of options on the blueline, and I don't think they're going to rush him if he's not ready. A year or two in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world, and it may suit him best in the long-run. Polak did it and benefited tremendously. So did Jackman. As far as I'm concerned Strachan and Junland (maybe even Cole) are more NHL ready than Pietrangelo, regardless of how he fares against junior players or the fact that he's got 17 big-boy games under his belt.
I think he will be ready for the NHL by camp though...and I also think he'll outperform the other young d-men in camp, but I obviously don't know that for sure. We'll see in Sept/Oct.

Old
03-30-2010, 06:27 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Assuming having an experienced D-man as a mentor will help Pietro transition to the NHL (the failed experiment with Sydor), who is that next year?

I just don't think its Brewer. Jackman can't really teach the offensive side of things. I'm very curious how the Blues tackle the off-season. There has got to be a lot of movement.

Old
03-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Its easier to learn how to play D when the game is at a slower pace, so to me Peoria is not a bad idea for Petro. But it all depends on the game he brings during training camp and what he leaned playing this year.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Assuming having an experienced D-man as a mentor will help Pietro transition to the NHL (the failed experiment with Sydor), who is that next year?

I just don't think its Brewer. Jackman can't really teach the offensive side of things. I'm very curious how the Blues tackle the off-season. There has got to be a lot of movement.
I hope The Blues can get rid of Brewer(even a buyout-if they can't trade him off) and pick up a quality veteran 2-way defenceman from whom he can learn.

Old
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I hope The Blues can get rid of Brewer(even a buyout-if they can't trade him off) and pick up a quality veteran 2-way defenceman from whom he can learn.
Yeah I've been leaning towards that idea for almost a month now. I'd rather clean up our D-core for the future than assume signing a sniper will make the rest of the team perform at or above expectations.

Instead I'm hoping for the sophomore slump marathon just being done with and getting a decent top 6 replacement for Kariya / what Tkachuk brought on the PP. I'm already letting go of the pipe dream of Kovalchuck or Frolov actually wanting to sign here even if we really do chase after 30+ goal players.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
Yeah I've been leaning towards that idea for almost a month now. I'd rather clean up our D-core for the future than assume signing a sniper will make the rest of the team perform at or above expectations.

Instead I'm hoping for the sophomore slump marathon just being done with and getting a decent top 6 replacement for Kariya / what Tkachuk brought on the PP. I'm already letting go of the pipe dream of Kovalchuck or Frolov actually wanting to sign here even if we really do chase after 30+ goal players.
I don't think getting Frolov to sign will be an impossibility. I doubt I'll see Kovalchuk as a Blue.

Old
03-30-2010, 08:43 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I don't think getting Frolov to sign will be an impossibility. I doubt I'll see Kovalchuk as a Blue.
Yeah I'm just not getting my hopes up; there's always someone out there with a more prestigious offer than an organization that's never won a Cup, in the Midwest, with a heavy North American influence.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:29 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Watching Brewer post-surgery, I think he's lost a lot of mobility and speed.

Old
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Watching Brewer post-surgery, I think he's lost a lot of mobility and speed.
Brewer was tentative with his back and nerve injuries before the surgery, and has been even moreso, afterwards.

Furthermore, Brewer has NEVER been totally healthy, or able to play his natural game since he has been with The Blues. He's only a shadow of what he could have been. The Oilers knew The Blues had to dump Pronger, and took advantage, bigtime. He was damaged goods. He makes some unintelligent plays and mistakes. But a lot of his weak plays come from not being able to move quickly enough, or smoothly enough, and wanting to avoid contact or dump the puck off before he's hit. When he does hit, and play physically, it seems that he has to "prepare" himself (orient or turn) to be able to hit his target "squarely". All that makes him fairly ineffective (or, at least relatively-for a top 4 D-man) on defence.