HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Question for blues fans

Old
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Watching Brewer post-surgery, I think he's lost a lot of mobility and speed.
I can understand why he has. I get the impression that his injury was probably a bit more serious than he or the front office would lead us to believe. I remember reading something around the time he came back into the lineup that he still did not have a whole lot of feeling in one of his legs. I don't even think I'm a good enough skater to go play in a house league so I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like trying to skate with a leg you can barely feel in an NHL game.

If we trade Brewer fine, if we keep him for next year that's ok as well. I think I've come to understand the Brewer EJ combination a bit more over the past few weeks. If EJ is going to be a #1 d-man, much less one of the best d-men in the league, he absolutey must be able to cover for his partners gaffs. Jackman would just stay back and play safe all the time and EJ would be playing rover in the offensive zone. That's fine for a while but he is never going to learn how to play a more dynamic defensive role if he's not put with someone who can take a few offensive chances as well and EJ is the one that needs to recognize when he hasto be the one to play it safe.

Now Pietrangelo would be more in the needs someone to play it safe type of role like Jackman was for EJ his rookie year and also how Sydor backed up EJ earlier this year. I'm not sure if I would complain much if Sydor was brought back to play 15 minutes a night in the same type or role he played for EJ which he wasn't half bad at. You get the added benefit of someone who seems to be a great guy in the room as well.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
I can understand why he has. I get the impression that his injury was probably a bit more serious than he or the front office would lead us to believe. I remember reading something around the time he came back into the lineup that he still did not have a whole lot of feeling in one of his legs. I don't even think I'm a good enough skater to go play in a house league so I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like trying to skate with a leg you can barely feel in an NHL game.

If we trade Brewer fine, if we keep him for next year that's ok as well. I think I've come to understand the Brewer EJ combination a bit more over the past few weeks. If EJ is going to be a #1 d-man, much less one of the best d-men in the league, he absolutey must be able to cover for his partners gaffs. Jackman would just stay back and play safe all the time and EJ would be playing rover in the offensive zone. That's fine for a while but he is never going to learn how to play a more dynamic defensive role if he's not put with someone who can take a few offensive chances as well and EJ is the one that needs to recognize when he hasto be the one to play it safe.

Now Pietrangelo would be more in the needs someone to play it safe type of role like Jackman was for EJ his rookie year and also how Sydor backed up EJ earlier this year. I'm not sure if I would complain much if Sydor was brought back to play 15 minutes a night in the same type or role he played for EJ which he wasn't half bad at. You get the added benefit of someone who seems to be a great guy in the room as well.
I have high hopes that The Blues can bring in someone younger, and more currently viable to better handle that role, either as a UFA signing, or through trade. Sydor wasn't very effective this past year. He'll be one year older, slower, and probably slightly weaker and more brittle next year.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:00 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I have high hopes that The Blues can bring in someone younger, and more currently viable to better handle that role, either as a UFA signing, or through trade. Sydor wasn't very effective this past year. He'll be one year older, slower, and probably slightly weaker and more brittle next year.
I have no problem with the way Sydor played when he was paired with EJ. He stayed well back of the play and made sure covering for EJ taking big risks in the offensive zone was his priority. There's a difference of when he gets thrown in there with someone else and tries to be a bit more active than that. I'm not overly fond of him then, but he's not horrible, he's a passable 3rd pairing guy. I do like how if he needs to sit in the pressbox he handles it professionally and relays information down to the coaching staff. I also like how he was having the young players that were scratched doing extra workouts on game days. I'm not in the locker room but outward appearances lead me to believe he is a good role model and positive influence.

If we can find a LH Weaver who would take a one year deal, or we can make a move to add some more stability to our left side for a few years at a reasonable cost I'm all for it. If we can't do that then I have no qualms with Sydor if he is used exclusively to mentor Pietrangelo.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
STL fan in IA

I think Sydor has been a better influence for some of they young players then some give him credit for but I also think he's almost guaranteed to be gone next season.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Robb_K

I'm SURE that Sydor is good "in the locker room" and practise, and that he was a very positive influence on E.J.. But The Blues need to upgrade the quality of their veteran defencemen (lower age and better speed, more strength, more physical play and more offence). I think they'll be able to do that (which means there'll be no room for Sydor).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote