HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHANTOMS and 2010 Flyers Prospect Discussion Thread - Bring on the Future

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2010, 08:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Re-post from the Draft Thread

HF Flyers' draft preview:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...draft_preview/

Quote:
The Flyers lost their 2010 first-round selection (29th overall) in the deal for defenseman Chris Pronger along with defensive prospect Luca Sbisa, winger Joffrey Lupul, a 2009 first -round selection that was eventually used by Columbus to select John Moore with the 21st selection, and a conditional pick. If the mass exodus in futures to Anaheim was not enough, the Flyers also forfeited their 2010 second-round selection (59th overall) when they paid the Los Angeles Kings to take Denis Gauthier.

As it stands right now, this year could be the second straight draft in which the Flyers do not select a player until the third round. They are the last team to have a first selection in the 2010 Draft, and that pick comes around at 89th overall, the second to last pick in the third round.
It includes our organizational (and prospect pool) strengths and weaknesses as well as some other information.

Most of it is pretty much already known. Not much is new.

Note: The included top 10 list is not the actual top 10 list, only the top 10 list from the Spring top 20. The list will be re-worked post draft to include Bobrovsky as well as possibly Gustafsson and Testwuide, who may sniff the top 10. Can't give any secrets away.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
There is a little article on Wellwood on Flyers.com

Link.

I like Wellwood after seeing him play during the Memorial Cup.

Old
06-22-2010, 06:53 PM
phillyfanatic

Homer credit time! He has done a great job of somehow replenishing our goalie prospects! Ericsson looks like one of the best #1 goalie prospects we have had! Bobby looks good and backlind could be NHL level backup very soon! Impressive! We also have a few chl guys that r playing very well!

Old
06-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

Oliver Holten Lauridsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Lauridsen had a better year, but he's not NHL caliber. They picked him in the hope that he'd be a big body that would make up for other weaknesses. He's a SEVERELY long-term project.
A short update on Oliver Holten Lauridsen. He has really improved this season, and is finally being more than a long-shot. Granted; there are still a lot he need to improve, but his is on the right track.

Updated stats:
Weight: 228 lb / 103 kg
Height: 6-6 / 198 cm
Season 2009-2010: 41GP, 6G, 6A, 12PT, +10, 52 PIM
He had his teams longest goal-scoring streak; 4 games (2/5 – 2/13).
He was awarded by the team for being the player who had improved the most this season compared to the last.

This is what the Flyers write about him:

Latest Update on Flyers Amateur Prospects
The most pleasant surprise in the Flyers' system this season, Lauridsen has emerged as a force on the blue line for St. Cloud State in his sophomore campaign. A towering presence at 6-6, 220-pounds, the Danish import has been steady in his own end for the Huskies all season. Offensively, he has been something of a revelation. Through 34 games, Lauridsen has recorded 11 points (6g, 5a) in 34 games, ranking him third among St. Cloud's defensemen. This comes after he tallied a mere assist in 28 games as a freshman. Lauridsen has also displayed more of a willingness to play a physical game, when needed. He has used his size effectively along the boards and behind the net, using his size to his advantage. His is currently fourth on the team with 46 penalty minutes. Pryor says: "We've been very impressed with Lauridsen this season, as he's made some big strides in his development. I would say he's exceeded expectations to this point. He plays a North American-style game, and has proven to be very coachable. He still needs time and experience to develop and round out his game, as he's still raw in many areas. But, he's coming along and has shown a lot of promise this season."

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/mobilenews.htm?id=518761

Here is a comment on a Huskies forum (I don't remember the writer, sorry):

… Even stats wise its close, what was it 0g1a to 6g6a? For a D-man, that's a huge jump. But that's not the reason he was given the award... he was a liability last year, and a lot of people thought Philly was crazy for drafting him. But he was playing his first year of North American hockey. He improved by leaps and bounds, and is coming back I'd say the best defense-man we have; he's the blue-liner I'd most want on the power play when we're down one with three minutes to go, and he's who I'd most want defending a one on one with a one goal lead late.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:04 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Homer credit time! He has done a great job of somehow replenishing our goalie prospects! Ericsson looks like one of the best #1 goalie prospects we have had! Bobby looks good and backlind could be NHL level backup very soon! Impressive! We also have a few chl guys that r playing very well!
I would say they are OK but I'm not overly excited about them. Wellwood and Labreque seem to have the best potential of the group. I have some concerns with both but considering their draft position they are as good if not better than expected. Rinaldo is a guy I was pumped about 2 years ago and now I wonder if he'll ever grow up. He can hit like a freight train, is very fast and wins 80% of his fights, but the kid is a suspension machine and needs to mature big time. Also his hands are stone. Deserres is still a non prospect in my eyes, despite his small turnaround. Morisson was disappointing this season as well, but maybe he can turn it around. I didn't follow Pither, Hostetter, or Harper at all so I only know what I see in their stats. I assume all 3 booked in to play for the Phantoms. I think Harper already did.

Last edited by jd2210: 06-23-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old
06-23-2010, 08:22 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I would say they are OK but I'm not overly excited about them. Wellwood and Labreque seem to have the best potential of the group. I have some concerns with both but considering their draft position they are as good if not better than expected. Rinaldo is a guy I was pumped about 2 years ago and now I wonder if he'll ever grow up. He can hit like a freight train, is very fast and wins 80% of his fights, but the kid is a suspension machine and needs to mature big time. Also his hands are stone. Deserres is still a non prospect in my eyes, despite his small turnaround. Morisson was disappointing this season as well, but maybe he can turn it around. I didn't follow Pither, Hostetter, or Harper at all so I only know what I see in their stats. I assume all 3 booked in to play for the Phantoms. I think Harper already did.
I'm anything but a Rinaldo fan, but I disagree with you that his hands are stone. Part of his problem in the OHL was being too strong. There were a couple of suspensions that, had he hit a bigger player, there wouldn't likely have been anything more than a minor penalty. He also had a few gamers that were because of the name on the back of the jersey.

Having said that, he does need to learn where, when and how to throw a hit that isn't a charge. And he is coming into the NHL/AHL with a reputation that is comparable to Downie, so he's not going to catch a break on an iffy call.

Pither has potential, but we'll have to see how he does against bigger stronger players in the AHL before we get too excited about him. I do like his game though. He was completely stifled offensively in Guelph, and then shone when he was set loose.

I'd be shocked to see Hostetter become anything more than an average AHLer.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:42 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Well when he was with St. Mike's his hands were stone, maybe he figured out a way to finsih afterwords but his stats say otherwise. I have seen him miss wide open nets many times. He creates a lot of opportunities because of his speed (and others fear of him) but can rarely finish. Actually a lot of his game reminds me of Powe: willing, fast, hit anything, no finish. As far as I'm concerned though Rinaldo is the best open ice hitter in our entire organization, not just the prospect. He can really lay guys out. Every suspension that I have seen has been warranted, maybe not some of his penalties. Did you not see the hit on Foligno? or Yogan? or even O'Reiley? It doesn't matter how big a player is when they are completely blindsided. What about the time he went ballistic on the guy (name illudes me) in the corner who was facing away from him and didn't even have his gloves off when Rinaldo jumped him from behind and started wailing on him. If he would focus on hockey, respect his fellow players and make clean hits I'd still be a big fan, but he needs to grow up a lot more than he is right now.

Old
06-23-2010, 08:56 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Well when he was with St. Mike's his hands were stone, maybe he figured out a way to finsih afterwords but his stats say otherwise. I have seen him miss wide open nets many times. He creates a lot of opportunities because of his speed (and others fear of him) but can rarely finish. Actually a lot of his game reminds me of Powe: willing, fast, hit anything, no finish. As far as I'm concerned though Rinaldo is the best open ice hitter in our entire organization, not just the prospect. He can really lay guys out. Every suspension that I have seen has been warranted, maybe not some of his penalties. Did you not see the hit on Foligno? or Yogan? or even O'Reiley? It doesn't matter how big a player is when they are completely blindsided. What about the time he went ballistic on the guy (name illudes me) in the corner who was facing away from him and didn't even have his gloves off when Rinaldo jumped him from behind and started wailing on him. If he would focus on hockey, respect his fellow players and make clean hits I'd still be a big fan, but he needs to grow up a lot more than he is right now.
Ugh, I can't believe I'm defending him. But here goes....

The Foligno hit was definitely late. If that series wasn't as ugly as it was, and his name wasn't Rinaldo, I don't think we'd have seen a suspension. Yogan, no question - dirty as ****. As well as a number of other ones -- 95% of his hits are charges.

And while he may have won most of his fights, it's because he rarely fights anyone who could whip his ass. But he's more than happy to fight non-fighters.

The one suspension (I want to say 8 games) for the fight in Saginaw was due to punching too hard - and that was from a Saginaw fan. The Spirit player challenged him, but picked the wrong guy.

As far as points go, he's a better playmaker than he's given credit for (which is pretty much nil). But he'll never be confused with Downie, that's for sure.

Having said all that.... if we never see him in a Flyers jersey, I'm more than okay with that.

Old
06-23-2010, 09:07 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Hostetter will play another season in the CHL.

I will rank my excitement of the CHLers from this past season:
1. Wellwood
2. Pither
----------
----------
3. Morrison
4. Riopel
----------
5. Hostetter
6. Labrecque
7. Harper
8. DeSerres
9. Rinaldo

Old
06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Do you think Pither is future NHL potential? I know zippo about him.

I had kind of forgot about Riopel but I hope the organization doesn't. I like his stats and his positioning is quite good. I know he is small but I'd like to see him in the AHL if possible. How does that work with his rights after that contract last year? I guess he is ours for one more year if not signed?

As for good ol Rinaldo the Foligno hit was a lot more than late, there is no way the guy saw him coming. I acutually thought that hit was the dirtiest of them all. I totally agree about the fight winning point though. I actually don't know why so many guys are willing to drop them with him. trying to make a name I suppose. The AHL might wake him up a bit though. Downie changed his ways.

Old
06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Haute Couturier

Does anyone know if the Flyers signed Eriksson or have they lost his rights?

Edited: Nevermind I read they have another year to sign him

Last edited by Haute Couturier: 06-23-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old
06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Does anyone know if the Flyers signed Eriksson or have they lost his rights?
We have his rights, but the Flyers organization wants him to play one more season in Europe before coming here.

Old
06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Am I correct in assuming that the reason we retain Popov's rights longer is because of the lack of a transfer agreement? Sweds and Finns are 3 years if I'm not mistaken from that 08 class of draft picks.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Oliver Holten Lauridsen. He's big, but how is his skating? Is it a hinderance to his game or is it passable for a big guy?

Old
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532671

Found this quote interesting:

Quote:
Since the number of choices in this year’s draft are fewer than normal, the Flyers seemed to put more of an emphasis this year on signing free agent prospects. Players such as forward Mike Testwuide (NCAA - Colorado College), defenseman Erik Gustafsson (NCAA - Northern Michigan) and goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky (Russia) were added over the past few months and will likely begin next year with the AHL’s Adirondack Phantoms.

The moves instantly added some depth to the organization without having to wait for this weekend.

“It’s just like adding some draft picks,” said Pryor. “[Flyers scout] Ross [Fitzpatrick] worked hard in that area to try and get a group of players that we had an opportunity to take a run at, and we happened to land a couple, and we’re excited about it.

“We have some kids that we think have a viable chance in the near future to become parts of the big team, and I think you’re going to see that in the next year or so.”
So I guess they think some of the prospects we have could make a push for the big team

Old
06-24-2010, 05:11 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Found this quote interesting:

So I guess they think some of the prospects we have could make a push for the big team
I'd hope so or they are doing a really ****** job

Old
06-24-2010, 06:02 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Did you see Frank Seravalli's story this morning (or possibly yesterday) where he was quoting Homer as saying that Testuide, Holmstrom and Gustafsson were all expected to challange for roster spots? I think it's the same article where he said he was excited about Backlund, Bobo and Erickson.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:00 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Did you see Frank Seravalli's story this morning (or possibly yesterday) where he was quoting Homer as saying that Testuide, Holmstrom and Gustafsson were all expected to challange for roster spots? I think it's the same article where he said he was excited about Backlund, Bobo and Erickson.
I doubt Holmstrom will compete for a spot unless it's a fourth line role against Carcillo, Powe, Kalinski, and Nodl.

Testwuide is hit or miss, and I wouldn't be surprised either way. He's supposed to be the most NHL-ready FA to come out of NCAA this summer.

Gustafsson I want to see in the AHL a season. Who knows what will happen though.

I do know Nodl, Maroon, and Kalinski will get their shots. Lehtivuori as well.

It's mostly stuff that we won't catch a real solid sight of until September.

Also, per EUROFLYERS:

Simon Bertilsson was named to Sweden U20 team that plays four games in August 1-7.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:46 AM
dgaspari

again per euroflyer

Sergei Bobrovsky graduated

Bobrovsky hasn't now only finished his hockey season, he has also graduated from the local Pedagogical Academy at the Faculty of Physical Culture, Sport and Tourism. He graduated today.

Now Bobrovsky will focus on hockey again and his future with the Flyers.

"I'm preparing to go to North America. We have a rookie camp in July there. Then I come back to Novokuznetsk where I'll continue my independent training and then in September I'll go to the Flyers training camp."

will this influence holmgren decision on which goalie he will persue at the draft?

Old
06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Yeah that was the first I head anyone say that Holmstrom might compete for a roster spot. Gustafsson I only saw twice on horrid internet feeds and he looked like the best Phantom on the ice. I take that with a grain of salt though since we all know how players can sort of overperform in short stints with a new team. That said, the more guys competing for roster spots the better. I would think Lehtviouri and Marshall will be hungry to be Flyers too.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaspari View Post
again per euroflyer

Sergei Bobrovsky graduated

Bobrovsky hasn't now only finished his hockey season, he has also graduated from the local Pedagogical Academy at the Faculty of Physical Culture, Sport and Tourism. He graduated today.

Now Bobrovsky will focus on hockey again and his future with the Flyers.

"I'm preparing to go to North America. We have a rookie camp in July there. Then I come back to Novokuznetsk where I'll continue my independent training and then in September I'll go to the Flyers training camp."

will this influence holmgren decision on which goalie he will persue at the draft?
I doubt it. He was planning on coming over here this fall already.

Old
06-25-2010, 05:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/alle...,4954359.story

Quote:
The $80 million hockey arena proposed for Allentown's Lehigh riverfront will not be open until at least 2013, according to Mayor Ed Pawlowski.

While that means hockey fans will have to wait an extra year for the Philadelphia Flyers' minor league affiliate to drop the puck in Allentown, it also means they'll be less likely to be stuck on Seventh Street on the way to the games.

That's because the latest transportation plan, released last week by the Lehigh Valley Transportation Study, calls for the $65 million American Parkway bridge over the Lehigh River to be open by the end of 2013.

Seeing his waterfront development plans delayed a year wasn't exactly in Pawlowski's plans, but he likes the upside to waiting.

"It's worth waiting an extra year to do this right," Pawlowski said. "This is too important to rush. We could muddle through for a year without the bridge, but we'd rather not."

Pawlowski initially hoped the project would be done in time for the arena to open in October 2012, but said lining up the financing in a difficult economy and dealing with groundbreaking legislation that creates a 130-acre state taxing district in Allentown are taking longer than expected.

Old
06-26-2010, 03:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Current Prospect Chart
LW C RW D G
Patrick Maroon Jon Kalinski Andreas Nodl Oskars Bartulis Joacim Eriksson
Eric WellwoodLuke Pither David Laliberte Joonas Lehtivuori Sergei Bobrovsky
Shane Harper Michael Chaput Mike Testwuide Kevin Marshall Nicola Riopel
Andrew Rowe Dave Labrecque Stefan Legein Marc-Andre Bourdon Adam Morrison
Zac Rinaldo Ryan Dingle Andrei Popov Erik Gustafsson Brian Stewart
Tye McGinn - Ben Holmstrom Simon Bertilsson Brad Phillips
Brendan Ranford - Michael Parks Denis Bodrov Jeremy Duchesne
Garrett Klotz - Rob Bellamy Tyler Hostetter Mike Teslak
Matthew Clackson - Josh Beaulieu Oliver Lauridsen -
- - - Ricard Blidstrand -
- - - Nicholas Luukko -

Old
06-26-2010, 04:04 PM
dgaspari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Current Prospect Chart
LW C RW D G
Patrick Maroon Jon Kalinski Andreas Nodl Oskars Bartulis Joacim Eriksson
Eric WellwoodLuke Pither David Laliberte Joonas Lehtivuori Sergei Bobrovsky
Shane Harper Michael Chaput Mike Testwuide Kevin Marshall Nicola Riopel
Andrew Rowe Dave Labrecque Stefan Legein Marc-Andre Bourdon Adam Morrison
Zac Rinaldo Ryan Dingle Andrei Popov Erik Gustafsson Brian Stewart
Tye McGinn - Ben Holmstrom Simon Bertilsson Brad Phillips
Brendan Ranford - Michael Parks Denis Bodrov Jeremy Duchesne
Garrett Klotz - Rob Bellamy Tyler Hostetter Mike Teslak
Matthew Clackson - Josh Beaulieu Oliver Lauridsen -
- - - Ricard Blidstrand -
- - - Nicholas Luukko -
do you rate any forward a top 6 player?

do you rate any defenseman as a top pairing?

Denis Bodrov, is he returning?

Old
06-26-2010, 04:15 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The talent there is just overwhelming huh?

I bet less than 5 of those guys become NHLers and that there's no top-6 forwards or top-4 D in that group.

I'm starting to have this secret fear that we'll turn into the Leafs.

Closed Thread