HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Tylers, 1 Cup

Old
03-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I was less impressed with out effort tonight than most of you. A couple of lucky goals against Thomas made the difference.

Brickley is such a tool.
Yeah, they got the bounces tonight and then played their usual defense-first-pseudo-penalty-kill style third period. Miller was the better starter, even with that second goal carom into the sky.

03-30-2010, 04:51 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Chain, just out of curiosity, are you up really late, really early, or in another time zone?

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:59 AM
LFDM

Quote:
Chain, just out of curiosity, are you up really late, really early, or in another time zone?
What's really late? 03:45? That's usually a game's end when i am watching NHL hockey in Austria

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Today I'm up early. Occasionally it's due to being up late. Sleep and I are off and on adversaries.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Yeah I'm in the same boat myself. I'm sure my neighbor's downstairs love the creaking sound I make walking around at 4 in the morning on any given night.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
I was less impressed with out effort tonight than most of you. A couple of lucky goals against Thomas made the difference.

Brickley is such a tool.
Not every goal can be beautiful. I'd rather see it have been 3 - 1 for the majority of the game with some of the more ugly goals, than have it have been 1 - 1 with only goals that made me want to give a standing ovation.

That being said aside from the first 1/2 period I didn't really see that much of a problem with effort at all. As soon as the first Buffalo goal went in they got back in the game and I think it showed.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:49 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
One note that I do have is:

I think the overall health of our fowards has hurt us a little. Usually teams will get a major injury or two and will force a call up and a natural line shakeup. Usually young players energy is a bit infectious. Also, I think having Ennis in the minors at this point doesn't give us the best chance to win.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:04 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yeah, they got the bounces tonight and then played their usual defense-first-pseudo-penalty-kill style third period. Miller was the better starter, even with that second goal carom into the sky.
And of course without a 2 goal lead they likely wouldn't have played that style.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:44 AM
OcAirlines

Tyler Ruff

OcAirlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I concede that the effort was strong, but we got hemmed in by their forecheck too many times and made some bad giveaways. (BTW, I thought Lydman was pretty bad in this regard last night.)

Also, the game was very wide open - which I don't mind - but we looked very disorganized on offense, almost like a midget league game. Maybe it's because of the injuries and new faces.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
One note that I do have is:

I think the overall health of our fowards has hurt us a little. Usually teams will get a major injury or two and will force a call up and a natural line shakeup. Usually young players energy is a bit infectious. Also, I think having Ennis in the minors at this point doesn't give us the best chance to win.

Only on HF could this logic make sense.

Talk to the Bruins and Wings about how awesome it is having their top forwards out injured.

The Bruins are barely hanging on to their playoff spot and the Wings were on the outside looking in before they got healthy.

This team has led the division most of the year and they have a shot at 2nd in the conference. Things few of us thought possible at the start of the year.

Even though I think the premise is pretty goofy, I'll ask anyway. How exactly was this team hurt by the forwards staying relatively healthy?

Btw the problem up front wasn't needing a line shakeup. It was trying to find lines that clicked. The lines were constantly changing because of this. We finally got consistant top 6 line with Hecht/Connolly/Pommer and were trying to find another line. We seemed to have the solution with Kennedy/Roy/Vanek. Ironically enough after finally finding some chemsitry in the top 6 the forwards started getting injured.

Who was most responsible for the win last night? It was Miller and Myers leading the charge as they have most nights. The goals were scored by guys that have been here all year.

The young guys don't have any of the baggage many of the regulars have with the fans. After a game like last night when we were not that great defensively (gave up way too many quality scoring chances + 42 shots against) no one is getting that wound up about it. Thats because they are excited about the youngsters. If the regulars played like that they would have shredded for relying on Miller.

I get it that everyone is excited about finally seeing these guys in the lineup. But lets not get carried away about their impact.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-30-2010 at 01:33 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
I concede that the effort was strong, but we got hemmed in by their forecheck too many times and made some bad giveaways. (BTW, I thought Lydman was pretty bad in this regard last night.)

Also, the game was very wide open - which I don't mind - but we looked very disorganized on offense, almost like a midget league game. Maybe it's because of the injuries and new faces.
Well, it was. You've seen the munchkin photo, right?

and, seriously, I agree with joshjull's post. Very entertaining game last night, but too wide open and too scrambly in the 3rd. If BOS had Savard back and Rask started, I'm pretty sure BUF wouldn't have put up 3 goals last night, and may not have won. I thought Mancari was fine; he channeled Vanek on the hooking penalty. Be interesting to see how the lines play the rest of the reg. season. With the injury recoveries, seems like BUF might be starting the playoffs reverting back to H-C-P and K-R-V. Never good to be "finding" your lines at game 80 of the season...

Last edited by brian_griffin: 03-30-2010 at 01:20 PM.
brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
ceky

first, as a newby on hfboards (-postings at least), hi to all from a sabres fan from vienna (i think more austrians watch the sabres than one would expect )

my two cents on the boston game as i feel better posting on a game where i actually do see the puck, ESPNAmerica just shows a couple of sabres games, mostly i have to rely on choppy streams ...

For me, this were the best sabres i did see in the last 30-40 games. The small guys were all over the place, gerbe was finishing a lot of hits, altough they were mini-bumps most of the time they were weirdly effective in stopping the other players movement.
Ennis is just a treat to have besides Myers, i'm really happy to be able to see him making an impact on this team in the coming seasons, and i really think he can do so. Raw offensive talent and i somehow expected him to be smaller looking on the ice, even tough i did allready see him play vs the flyers. He does not look fragile at all...

Overall I very much liked the puck managment and aggressiveness in most of the first and second third. For me it was the first time i thought to myself that those sabres could, with some good fortune, ..........

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote