HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JULY 1st Lock Acquisition

Old
03-30-2010, 01:24 PM
jimmyjames

vCash: 500
on the topic of Armstrong, if he can be signed for about what he's making now and the leafs trade Kabs for Fehr and Alzner, does a line up like this seem any good? (I can't make up my mind about it)

kulemin bozak kessel
fehr grabo/kadri armstrong
stalberg hanson caputi
sjostrom mitchell orr

jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:22 PM
xicethug13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
on the topic of Armstrong, if he can be signed for about what he's making now and the leafs trade Kabs for Fehr and Alzner, does a line up like this seem any good? (I can't make up my mind about it)

kulemin bozak kessel
fehr grabo/kadri armstrong
stalberg hanson caputi
sjostrom mitchell orr
i would like the kabs to washinton for fehr+alzner+1st deal to happen too...then also these deals
grabo+stefanovich to rangers for dubinsky
beauchemin to sanjose for clowe
then if all those happened these would be the ufa signings i would like

paul martin 5 mil per
alex frolov 4 mil per

resign these :
kulemin 2.75
fehr 3
hansen 1
gustavson 2

then we would have this team next year and after the bonus cushion our cap hit would be 52.675 mil....and i think we would have a damn good team

kulemin-bozak-kessel
fehr-kadri-clowe
caputi-dubinsky-frolov
sjostrom-hanson-orr
mitchell extra,stalberg first call up

phaneuf-schenn
komisarek-martin
alzner-gunnarson
oreskovic

giggy
gustavson

xicethug13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Revolt

Honestly, in my opinion all we need is secondary scoring. Kovalchuk playing with Kadri, and Kessel with Bozak gives you two scoring lines. I would keep the D as is, with Kaberle. Send fingers to the minors.

Although, i only sign Kovy if he agrees to about 7m over 4-5 seasons.

Otherwise, i'd turn to Frolov to get a decent second line going. Everyone lookign to get rid of Kaberle so fast i don't get. Send finger to the minors you save 3.5m, if anything, i would get rid of Beauchemin (If Possible) before Kaberle.

Also would like Armstrong if the price is right. I just don't want them to make the same mistakes. Play the veterans like this year and suck even though the kids played much better in the pre-season. I say let the kids play, just tinker with the lineup to add more scoring depth and you got yourself a playoff team

Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Tonka
Diggles

I will say this a trillion times...we don't need Torres nor Armstrong...Leafs got stop giving out money to third and fourth liners or third pairing defensman, and start dishing that type of cash to first liners.

Number 1 FOCUS= TOP LINE FORWARDS...and I want that to happen on draft day, not July 1st.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Gberg

i'm gonna guess that on draft day, Kaberle is traded to Pittsburgh for Staal + 1st + 2nd picks.
How is pittsburgh going to afford keeping staal?
After Letang's payraise (which he deserves), and Gonchar potentially retiring (or going elsewhere, or signing for huge hometown discount), this makes sense.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:23 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

I think that Burke will target:

Colby Armstrong
Matthew Lombardi
Raffi Torres
Paul Martin
Alexander Frolov
David Clarkson? (Is he a UFA or RFA?)

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
GE0

I'm not crazy about Frolov.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
i'm gonna guess that on draft day, Kaberle is traded to Pittsburgh for Staal + 1st + 2nd picks.
How is pittsburgh going to afford keeping staal?
After Letang's payraise (which he deserves), and Gonchar potentially retiring (or going elsewhere, or signing for huge hometown discount), this makes sense.
We would not get a first and a second along with Staal.

I think it would be Kaberle for Staal straight up. I think that even this is a bit of a pipe dream.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Gberg

I guess you're right on the 1st + 2nd picks, but Pittsburgh really shouldn't be in a bargaining position with little cap space (however, that didn't stop Boston from getting a lot for Kessel).
I know Staal is only 21, but he's being paid 4mil per year as a 50pt player.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Have to target Frolov. For sure.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Fenton

We need scoring depth and defensive depth on forward. The D is set, and about half our Top six is.

I like Clarkson or Armstrong, we definitely need a pest who can play. In the top six I would try for Marleau. But the problem with him is that he blocks Kadri from coming unless one of them plays on the wing. But he has scoring ability coupled with defensive ability, so he patches up two holes.

We need a serious shutdown/pk centre. I like Sjostrom as one of the dedicated energy + PK guys. We haven't had one since Peca was here. Is Sami Paulsson available? Possibly John Madden. Both are older guys though.

Boogard isn't a bad idea either, it would be a lot like Anaheim with Parros and Thornton, May, Fedoruk...

Orr is nice though because he can play an ok game other than just fighting, I've seen Boogards fights, but not much else from him so I don't know how he is at playing hockey.

No interest in Frolov though... first time LA is competing for the playoffs in a long time and he is having a bad season. Doesn't add up to a player I want on a team competing for the playoffs. Plus he has bumped heads with Murray already earlier in the season for not buying into team concept (http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=295401). I'm sure him and Wilson would not get along.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
We need scoring. Thats the target, whether it be from the center or wing position.

Hes been a very good player for a very long time in a rebuild situation in LA, he can now transfer that here.

Two 30 goal seasons, plays about anywhere, dominates the puck in the cycle position, strong on his skates, great size. Adding him also makes Kulemin that much better.

I think that article has to do with him not fitting into their new system anymore, more than anything.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 2083
I would go for a cheaper type player that we may be able to sign for a shorter lenght . Afinoganov had a nice bounce back year and probably won't cost that much .

I'm not interested in Torres but i could see BB going after him .

Joikenen has had a down year so if the price is right i'd be interested .

I'd dump Grabo if we could find a a taker . He has some skill and works hard but he doesn't show much hockey sense . He's already 26 and i don't see alot of upside to his game .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Cool Beans Man

I like the potential upside in Frolov, but I feel like the type of contract he'll garner is the type of contracts we've seen mistakes in the past, and that it would not quite work out in the direction we're trying to take here.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:29 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
John Madden, that'd be a pick up. ^
Dominic Moore younger and cheaper.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:38 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

IMO, Raffi is a lock.

Old
03-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Dominic Moore younger and cheaper.
Madden = Stanley Cups.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
I will say this a trillion times...we don't need Torres nor Armstrong...Leafs got stop giving out money to third and fourth liners or third pairing defensman, and start dishing that type of cash to first liners.

Number 1 FOCUS= TOP LINE FORWARDS...and I want that to happen on draft day, not July 1st.
I agree we should be on the market for high end players instead of bottom 6. Having said that Center men are in high demand in a very shallow pool of high end talent. Marleau is the best available but he will never be a leaf with his connection to Wilson and the OVERPAYMENT he will get due to lack of talent at his position. Marleau should be a $6.5 by 4-5yr deal but i think because of the few elite centers i think he will get $7+ over 5-6yrs. After Marleau the next best thing is Plekanec... Brutal. The bottom line is we dont need a 2nd line center with the likes of Bozak/Kadri and to a lesser extent Grabo, We need a top line Point Per Game+ guy and this year is not the year to do it through free agency.

I think the focus on high end wingers this year is the direction the leafs should go. Kovalchuk has to be the guy! he has to be the main focus on our agenda to improve the skill on this team. Now i think most will agree Kovalchuk the player is amazing and a top 5 goal scorer in the game today. The problem is the Cap hit and Term of the contract that has us fans worried.

So how can we remedy this problem? Love for a superstar but not willing to break the bank so we dont handcuff ourselves on other vital components of our team?

I feel it could happen This way. Use the city of Toronto the Mecca of hockey and endorsement opportunities as a tool to increase Kovalchuk revenue plus If Kovalchuk takes a 6 year term $50 million with a $8.33 million cap hit it would leave us room to keep building a solid team. The key is the term though because through endorsements in Toronto Kovi will easily make more then his salary plus at the end of his contract he will only be 33 years old and still have a good payday ahead of him. And if we have to trade him plenty of good assets will come back. Kovalchuk's image would also change because he turned down $101 million dollars to be a Leaf because he wants to be hear and it's not about money. In Heinz sight 6 years in Toronto he would make just as much as 10 years in Atlanta and be 33 instead of 37.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

As long as Burke doesnt pick up any unnecessary players or overpays for any talent. With the lack of top end talent this FA season (aside from the likes of Marleau and Kovy), some teams will start overpaying for the likes of Frolov and Plekanec in hopes of getting someone that will help them next season. There will be other Free agency periods with better players available.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Cmillz

No to anyone making more then 6.5 mill/year for more then 5 years. I believe that's Burkes rule and it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Names that should be talked about in here are David Clarkson, Colby Armstrong, Artyukhin.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:33 PM
93gilmour93

marleau will 100 percent not sign with the leafs because of a sour relationship with wilson in san jose. colby armstrong would be a great signing for the right price , and hope kovalchuk wants the spotlight of playing in toronto for 5-6 years

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:39 PM
jimmyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
marleau will 100 percent not sign with the leafs because of a sour relationship with wilson in san jose. colby armstrong would be a great signing for the right price , and hope kovalchuk wants the spotlight of playing in toronto for 5-6 years
which is it? i read this then read Marleau has said he would play for wilson again lol.

jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote