HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Wild - 3/29/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Chazz Reinhold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I know. Panic anyone!?!

Not exactly the guy you want to be next to you in the foxhole is it?

My guess is Lombardi is evaluating which players will be in the foxhole for the long haul right now. It's a process, and I am glad to see them going through it. A little adversity isn't going to kill this rebuild. In fact, it helps identify what is missing and needed in the future.

Yet for some of you that have gotten way ahead of yourselves, the team and this season now suck unless they win a first round playoff match up.

Can't wait for the return of Captain Ron and his trolling.
I can tell you one thing they need: foot speed. This team is GD slow as molasses.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:42 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I can tell you one thing they need: foot speed. This team is GD slow as molasses.
Right now they could definitely use another defenseman that can lug the puck. I agree with our friend from Toronto. Having Greene, O'Donnell, and Scuderi is perhaps one too many of that type. I am confident that this need will be addressed in the off season though either through Hickey or Voynov making the team, free agency, or a trade. It might be time to sit Sean for a game and have Drewiske and Harrold in the lineup at the same time.

Let's hope Nashville is tired too tonight, because the Kings aren't likely to find an extra step on the flight from St. Paul to Nashville.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
So I missed the game(Passover Seder) but seeing the box-score and reading this thread I am glad I didn't put myself through the stress of watching it.
But for some odd reason it really wasn't even that stressful, just kind of the "usual" body numbing experience that we've all seen way too much of over the years. And then the inevitable occured in the 3rd period, and they're on to Nashville.

(hey, at least the unbeaten streak of winning the game when leading after 2 periods is still intact. Note to team: get a freakin' LEAD in a game - any game - and then keep it. And ya know, this "unbeaten streak when leading after 2" is not likely to make it thru the season... more body numbing experiences coming over the next 7 games. I hope I'm wrong, but history has proved otherwise many times)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:38 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Jesus Christ AKA Jon Bernier to the rescueeeee hahaha

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Jesus Christ AKA Jon Bernier to the rescueeeee hahaha
You spelled Carey Price wrong.

I nominate Jon "The Baptist" Bernier.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Right now they could definitely use another defenseman that can lug the puck. I agree with our friend from Toronto. Having Greene, O'Donnell, and Scuderi is perhaps one too many of that type. I am confident that this need will be addressed in the off season though either through Hickey or Voynov making the team, free agency, or a trade. It might be time to sit Sean for a game and have Drewiske and Harrold in the lineup at the same time.

Let's hope Nashville is tired too tonight, because the Kings aren't likely to find an extra step on the flight from St. Paul to Nashville.
I agree with the puck-moving defenseman aspect, but the speed at forward needs to be addressed too.

Kopitar - decent speed, but he needs a ton of open ice to reach it
Smyth - not the greatest skater, but not dead-slow either; takes awhile to reach top speed too
Williams - more shifty and quick than fast
Frolov - long, slow, deceptive strides; another one that needs some space to reach top speed
Handzus - dial-up internet
Brown - quicker and faster than any the above mentioned, but by no means a speedster
Simmonds - decent at full-flight, but again, takes awhile to get there
Richardson - one of the fastest and the quickest on the team
Parse - also decently fast and quick
Halpern - Atlantic underwater cable system circa 1870
Modin - Slowdin
Stoll - medium-level speed, low-level quickness
Ivanans - Bahahahahahahahaha

...hahahahahahaha sorry I couldn't help myself
Clune - not too shabby in speed and quickness

So overall, not a very quick or fast team. That's why puck possession is so important to them, and that's one thing they haven't been doing a lot of the past few games. When they looked good in spurts in the Colorado and St. Louis road games, they were beasts with the puck. Their wasn't nearly enough offensive zone time last night, despite what the shots may say. There were a lot of one-and-done forechecks and cycles. I swear if I see another Kings dump-and-chase where one player pressures and the other two forwards stand and watch the defenseman skate it out himself, I'm going to punch myself in the face.

Old
03-30-2010, 09:46 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
All aboard the Fire Terry Murray bandwagon!

I have to agree with everyone though, our coaching staff is doing a great a job of misusing players.

What other head coaches are currently available?
ENOUGH coaches, I'd even be ok with making Mark Hardy the head coach, heck, I'd be ok with fuggin Barry Melrose lolol. Craig McTavish, John Stevens, Ken Hitchcock, Bob Hartley lmao, Guy Carbonneau. Tom Renney is the assistance coach in Edmonton, I don't know if we'd be able to get him. How about making Ron Hextall the HC? lolol Andy Murray is available

Old
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
I agree with the puck-moving defenseman aspect, but the speed at forward needs to be addressed too.

Kopitar - decent speed, but he needs a ton of open ice to reach it
Smyth - not the greatest skater, but not dead-slow either; takes awhile to reach top speed too
Williams - more shifty and quick than fast
Frolov - long, slow, deceptive strides; another one that needs some space to reach top speed
Handzus - dial-up internet
Brown - quicker and faster than any the above mentioned, but by no means a speedster
Simmonds - decent at full-flight, but again, takes awhile to get there
Richardson - one of the fastest and the quickest on the team
Parse - also decently fast and quick
Halpern - Atlantic underwater cable system circa 1870
Modin - Slowdin
Stoll - medium-level speed, low-level quickness
Ivanans - Bahahahahahahahaha

...hahahahahahaha sorry I couldn't help myself
Clune - not too shabby in speed and quickness

So overall, not a very quick or fast team. That's why puck possession is so important to them, and that's one thing they haven't been doing a lot of the past few games. When they looked good in spurts in the Colorado and St. Louis road games, they were beasts with the puck. Their wasn't nearly enough offensive zone time last night, despite what the shots may say. There were a lot of one-and-done forechecks and cycles. I swear if I see another Kings dump-and-chase where one player pressures and the other two forwards stand and watch the defenseman skate it out himself, I'm going to punch myself in the face.

hahahahahahahaha Ivanans, can't wait for this summer to be over, we can finally get rid of him, ugh. Stoll is actually fast, I love the way he plays but I just can't stand seeing him on the first PP unit, ugh, put Williams or Jack, Stoll's accuracy has to rank in the top 1 of the NHL, ****

Old
03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
I know. Panic anyone!?!

Not exactly the guy you want to be next to you in the foxhole is it?

C'mon, you know Diehard has been wanting to slide a blade between Lombardi's ribs for some time. LOL!!

My guess is Lombardi is evaluating which players will be in the foxhole for the long haul right now. It's a process, and I am glad to see them going through it. A little adversity isn't going to kill this rebuild. In fact, it helps identify what is missing and needed in the future.

Yet for some of you that have gotten way ahead of yourselves, the team and this season now suck unless they win a first round playoff match up.

Can't wait for the return of Captain Ron and his trolling.
Wait Wait Wait. My post had very little to do with or against DL. I just think TM (and DL's faith in him) needs to go.

And if we are talking foxholes, our PP is perfectly set for that. You see in Hockey, movement is KING. You just SIT in a foxhole, and like Jarret Stoll, just keep shooting no matter what you hit.

Our coach over-played our first string goalie into oblivion.

Our coach cant figure out after two years which players fit best with which players.

Our PP coach can't fathom anything other than to stick a guy at the half boards, keep the points planted (or sitting in their foxholes) and move the puck around the perimeter waiting for an opening rather than utilizing a fluid, dynamic, passing, cycling, slashing to the net PP that most of the top teams now utilize.

Nothing can be done but ride this train out, but as a longtime fan you must know that this looks so similar to other late season slides, but our coach thinks "EVERYTHING IS FINE."

Forgive me if that seems a little to me like fiddling while Rome is burning, but if you have watched this team, as I know you have, you can not think that after this four (soon to be five) game slide, after they way they bent over for Chicago, after the wiffs and numerous missed shots (tell me how high did Stoll shoot that puck over the open net in the first period?) and just stupid plays, that something is NOT wrong with this team.

Its not DL's fault at this point, he's put together a team which can play great. We have all seen it. But the coach can't see that something is wrong and maybe, just maybe, that is because he doesnt want to accept that he bears a good portion of the responsibility for it himself.

Make no mistake, I think this team can play far better than they have been. I think this team has something going WRONG with it right now. Brown's comments are nothing if not indicative of that. The coach meanwhile seems not fazed at all by a team that can't seemingly win to save its own life. You know, maybe its not his coaching but his vision that needs to be checked.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

I've only skimmed the thread lightly, but am I the only one that thinks Sheppard (?) is prime to get suspended for his hit to Stoll's head? I mean, isn't that exactly what the league was talking about?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Can Parse be a regular now please? The kid has shown enough to earn a spot, IMO. If he had been a regular all year, I bet he could have hit 20 goals with the right linemates.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
What in the hell does this team need to wake up? What a complete collapse.
Remember when I mentioned the term "freefall" a couple weeks ago and got yelled at? I do.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Remember when I mentioned the term "freefall" a couple weeks ago and got yelled at? I do.
The only free falling I want to be a part of involves Tom Petty.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:55 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Can Parse be a regular now please? The kid has shown enough to earn a spot, IMO. If he had been a regular all year, I bet he could have hit 20 goals with the right linemates.
TOO inconsistent, he can play amazing and then he plays like crap, I don't know what to make of him

Old
03-30-2010, 12:12 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I don't want to say much...because, really what IS there to say? Anyway, if last night's game was earlier in the year, we would have fought hard and come back to tie it. We looked like we didn't even care. It looks like the Kings of old. They have no push, no panic...they now need that.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I've only skimmed the thread lightly, but am I the only one that thinks Sheppard (?) is prime to get suspended for his hit to Stoll's head? I mean, isn't that exactly what the league was talking about?
I was amazed that wasn't called a penalty. It was a blatant elbow to the head. However, only seconds later the Kings managed to draw two penalties and subsequently **** the proverbial bed. Maybe we can blame Stoll's...how do I says this?..."errant" shooting on the power play on the fact that he had just got his bell rung. Yeah, that's it...

Old
03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Hyped

Are the same negative "Apocalypse Now" posters going to be singing the praise of the Kings when they go deep into the playoffs? I just want to know what I'm going to be getting myself into when I hitch my wagon to this team for the Big Dance.

Teams struggle during the year, even the good ones. It's how you come out of that funk that makes you the team you are. Once the playoffs start it's a brand new season and anything can happen. The Kings have several guys that know how to play and win in the playoffs. I'm expecting nothing less than a Western Conference Final appearance this year. Stay positive fellas...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
Are the same negative "Apocalypse Now" posters going to be singing the praise of the Kings when they go deep into the playoffs? I just want to know what I'm going to be getting myself into when I hitch my wagon to this team for the Big Dance.

Teams struggle during the year, even the good ones. It's how you come out of that funk that makes you the team you are. Once the playoffs start it's a brand new season and anything can happen. The Kings have several guys that know how to play and win in the playoffs. I'm expecting nothing less than a Western Conference Final appearance this year. Stay positive fellas...
I hope you are right.

And here is a Tombstone reference back at ya.....

Maybe poker's just not your game, Ike. I know: let's have a spelling contest

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
I'll start worrying if we were to lose the next two games.

Until then, keep the faith!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I was amazed that wasn't called a penalty. It was a blatant elbow to the head. However, only seconds later the Kings managed to draw two penalties and subsequently **** the proverbial bed. Maybe we can blame Stoll's...how do I says this?..."errant" shooting on the power play on the fact that he had just got his bell rung. Yeah, that's it...
I was amazed as well. It was pretty obvious.

But I'm ok with the ref missing the penalty. I will not be ok with Colin Campbell neglecting to dole out a suspension.

Was it Schultz or Sheppard? I can't remember.

Either way, I wrote about it. http://lakingsnews.com/2010/03/30/ho...n-is-in-order/

Quote:
Letís see if the NHL and Colin Campbell put their money where their big fat mouths are and dish out a suspension to Sheppard or Schultz (trust me, its bothering me more than it is you that I canít recall which player committed the offense).

Forget whether you agree with the new rule or not, which prohibits ďa lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact,Ē the fact of the matter is Stollís head was a principal point of contact.

Now I have a feeling there will be argument, and if there is no suspension, the allegation will be that Stollís head was hit on a follow through and was not the ďprincipal point of contact.Ē Bull crap. Schultzeppardís waist may have hit Stoll in the the side miliseconds prior, but in my estimation, the bulk of the force of the hit was transferred through the elbow to the head, even if some of the energy was deferred upon the technical point of initial contact.
Come and voice your opinion. (I'm also going to post this on the Wild board, see what they say)

Old
03-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Johnny Utah

Is it me or his Murray showing favoritism toward the vets...Justin Williams should be sitting, Halpern is invisible, Modin hasn't done much either.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I'll start worrying if we were to lose the next two games.

Until then, keep the faith!
Need I remind you that our next two games are Nashville and Vancouver?

Having a bit of trouble with that faith part right now, not because our boys can't do it, but mainly because our Coach thinks nothing is wrong. Its kind of hard to fix a problem until you admit you have one.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:57 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Need I remind you that our next two games are Nashville and Vancouver?
Yes, I know. And I believe that JB will win both games for us. So, until we're out of the 7 or 8th spot we're in, I don't need to press the panic button.

Quote:
Having a bit of trouble with that faith part right now, not because our boys can't do it, but mainly because our Coach thinks nothing is wrong. Its kind of hard to fix a problem until you admit you have one.
What exactly is wrong other than that we're not winning? Sometimes you compete well and come up with a loss-it happens.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:04 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes, I know. And I believe that JB will win both games for us. So, until we're out of the 7 or 8th spot we're in, I don't need to press the panic button.

What exactly is wrong other than that we're not winning? Sometimes you compete well and come up with a loss-it happens.
Its a big problem that our trigger men can't hit the net. A problem Bernier can't fix.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

Other times your inconsistent, hesitant, second guessing and just not doing the things needed to win. Shots ON GOAL, not just pucks directed somewhere in the general direction of the net would be a good start. A PP that actually moved their collective feet rather than the puck around the perimeter, would also likely improve our fortunes. Crashing the net right at the time the puck arrives, not two seconds later. Crisp, quick breakout passes to forwards who are mutually supporting each other. Carrying the puck into the zone, or at least not losing the dump and chase battle so frequently. I could go on, and I am not the only casual observer observing these things, yet if our coach doesnt think there is a problem, he isn't likely to think these "problems" need to be corrected.