HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic In Central Park

Old
03-29-2010, 11:44 PM
morffin

vCash: 500
Winter Classic In Central Park

Facebook Group set up to try and get the Winter Classic in Central Park.

Spread the word

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HAVE-T...2017523?ref=mf

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

If only we had a say in it.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Zil

I have no idea if it's remotely feasible, but the idea of it sounds amazing. Don't know how seating would work though.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Yea this will work just like the Fire Sather Rally did..

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I have no idea if it's remotely feasible, but the idea of it sounds amazing. Don't know how seating would work though.
temp bleachers can be set up...KHL played their All Star game in Red Square.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:12 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Yea this will work just like the Fire Sather Rally did..
you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.
Yea but some shots arent even worth taking. Gretzky's philosophy is flawed.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:20 AM
morffin

this one is deff. worth taking.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:25 AM
hlundqvist30*

That is honestly an amazing idea. Screw Yankee Stadium. A game in Central Park is something that could not be matched.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
That is honestly an amazing idea. Screw Yankee Stadium. A game in Central Park is something that could not be matched.
it would be a spectacle .... come join the FB group ..we have 20+ members already and we just set it up a few hours ago.

Spread the word.

THANKS!

Old
03-30-2010, 12:47 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I've been preaching this idea since the beginning of the season. It would be a great day. I'm in, obviously.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I've been preaching this idea since the beginning of the season. It would be a great day. I'm in, obviously.
I remember you and I talking about this idea earlier this year...glad you join the group.Spread the word.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
my mens league team would love to play in that

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:57 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
my mens league team would love to play in that
it could be a spectacle that only NYC could produce .... what a scene!...screens could be set up around the Great Lawn .... great publicity for the lg and this great sport. The whole city would be buzzing with hockey. Imagine what a blimp shot would look like.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I remember this being discussed last year before Boston was selected or immediately after.

This isn't feasible and I believe the league actually commented on this. Or maybe it was NHL Live commenting.... doesn't matter

Regardless, someone did some number crunching and estimating and it would actually cost the league money after revenues to set it up in central park. Getting the necessary security from the NYPD/FDNY, setting up bleachers (you can't possibly get enough bleachers to make it profitable), security in the perimeter of the park so you couldn't avoid paying to get it, convincing the city of NY or state (LOL) to fund it when they are strapped to begin with... I can list on and on why this will never happen.

I think we're just going to have to be patient and hope this crap with Yankee Stadium hosting the pos bowl game gets over with soon so we can have it there.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Crease

While being a very romantic idea, the NHL would be cutting back on 50,000 seats in ticket sales and tons of concession sales. That's adds up to a lot of money being left on the table. I just don't see them doing it.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:07 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
I remember this being discussed last year before Boston was selected or immediately after.

This isn't feasible and I believe the league actually commented on this. Or maybe it was NHL Live commenting.... doesn't matter

Regardless, someone did some number crunching and estimating and it would actually cost the league money after revenues to set it up in central park. Getting the necessary security from the NYPD/FDNY, setting up bleachers (you can't possibly get enough bleachers to make it profitable), security in the perimeter of the park so you couldn't avoid paying to get it, convincing the city of NY or state (LOL) to fund it when they are strapped to begin with... I can list on and on why this will never happen.

I think we're just going to have to be patient and hope this crap with Yankee Stadium hosting the pos bowl game gets over with soon so we can have it there.
the lg has to look beyond making money at an event like this ... the publicity it would generate in the media cap. of the world would be priceless.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Scooter17

Quote:

The league would probably lose money in the short run, but would it benefeit the league in the long run? After all this event is supposed to bring interest to the sport and put hockey on a big stage.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:08 AM
haveandare

Im sure if we work Crosby into the plan somehow we can get the league's approval

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:11 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Im sure if we work Crosby into the plan somehow we can get the league's approval
Pre-game diving exhibition?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
The league would probably lose money in the short run, but would it benefeit the league in the long run? After all this event is supposed to bring interest to the sport and put hockey on a big stage.
It's a tough question to answer. You can probably estimate the marginal growth of interest associated to each of the previous Winter Classics, but how can you go about estimating the difference in impact of a Winter Classic in Central Park versus a Winter Classic in a football or baseball stadium?

I just don't see how you can build a model that can properly estimate an unbiased coefficient. It would basically be a blind gamble on the part of the NHL.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:22 AM
morffin

The Winter Classic is basically a made for TV event anyways. Imagine the amazing camera shots a game in Central Park would produce and the millions of dollars in free publicity it would generate...not to mention the buzz created in the center of the media world.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

It would be very expensive to do. The NHL doesn't have the kind of money to just gamble like that. The revenues should at least pay for itself and it wouldn't even come close. And like I mentioned, the city nor the state will help the league out with getting it done financially either.

Plus, you guys are ignoring the added costs of having it in such a public location like central park. Ignore the costs of setting up the ice and erecting bleachers and all the other camaraderie that goes with the event -- you still need to factor in the added costs of all that police and fire department security/overtime that the city won't pay either. There are so many logistical costs of doing it in the middle of Manhattan the league just can't do it despite all the potential long term benefits. It's a total gamble.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:46 AM
morffin

Quote:
It would be very expensive to do. The NHL doesn't have the kind of money to just gamble like that. The revenues should at least pay for itself and it wouldn't even come close. And like I mentioned, the city nor the state will help the league out with getting it done financially either.

Plus, you guys are ignoring the added costs of having it in such a public location like central park. Ignore the costs of setting up the ice and erecting bleachers and all the other camaraderie that goes with the event -- you still need to factor in the added costs of all that police and fire department security/overtime that the city won't pay either. There are so many logistical costs of doing it in the middle of Manhattan the league just can't do it despite all the potential long term benefits. It's a total gamble.
nobody is saying its going to be cheap ... the NHL should bite the bullet and make it happen...get a world class media event set up in the media center of the world. Get NYC to help out..the city is always claiming that events like this are huge $$ generators...or at least thats what they tell us when they want to throw a parade.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:56 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
The KHL all star game had an attendance of approximately 2,500.

It's simply not possible to create enough stadium seating in such an environment. This would be a joke if it ever happened.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote