HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic In Central Park

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2010, 11:44 PM
  #1
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Winter Classic In Central Park

Facebook Group set up to try and get the Winter Classic in Central Park.

Spread the word

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HAVE-T...2017523?ref=mf

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:45 PM
  #2
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,265
vCash: 500
If only we had a say in it.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
  #3
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
I have no idea if it's remotely feasible, but the idea of it sounds amazing. Don't know how seating would work though.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
  #4
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Yea this will work just like the Fire Sather Rally did..

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
  #5
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I have no idea if it's remotely feasible, but the idea of it sounds amazing. Don't know how seating would work though.
temp bleachers can be set up...KHL played their All Star game in Red Square.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:12 AM
  #6
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Yea this will work just like the Fire Sather Rally did..
you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
  #7
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.
Yea but some shots arent even worth taking. Gretzky's philosophy is flawed.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:20 AM
  #8
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
this one is deff. worth taking.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:25 AM
  #9
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
That is honestly an amazing idea. Screw Yankee Stadium. A game in Central Park is something that could not be matched.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
  #10
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
That is honestly an amazing idea. Screw Yankee Stadium. A game in Central Park is something that could not be matched.
it would be a spectacle .... come join the FB group ..we have 20+ members already and we just set it up a few hours ago.

Spread the word.

THANKS!

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:47 AM
  #11
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
I've been preaching this idea since the beginning of the season. It would be a great day. I'm in, obviously.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
  #12
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I've been preaching this idea since the beginning of the season. It would be a great day. I'm in, obviously.
I remember you and I talking about this idea earlier this year...glad you join the group.Spread the word.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
  #13
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
my mens league team would love to play in that

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:57 AM
  #14
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
my mens league team would love to play in that
it could be a spectacle that only NYC could produce .... what a scene!...screens could be set up around the Great Lawn .... great publicity for the lg and this great sport. The whole city would be buzzing with hockey. Imagine what a blimp shot would look like.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:00 AM
  #15
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING
 
Carl Hagelins Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
I remember this being discussed last year before Boston was selected or immediately after.

This isn't feasible and I believe the league actually commented on this. Or maybe it was NHL Live commenting.... doesn't matter

Regardless, someone did some number crunching and estimating and it would actually cost the league money after revenues to set it up in central park. Getting the necessary security from the NYPD/FDNY, setting up bleachers (you can't possibly get enough bleachers to make it profitable), security in the perimeter of the park so you couldn't avoid paying to get it, convincing the city of NY or state (LOL) to fund it when they are strapped to begin with... I can list on and on why this will never happen.

I think we're just going to have to be patient and hope this crap with Yankee Stadium hosting the pos bowl game gets over with soon so we can have it there.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:04 AM
  #16
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
While being a very romantic idea, the NHL would be cutting back on 50,000 seats in ticket sales and tons of concession sales. That's adds up to a lot of money being left on the table. I just don't see them doing it.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:07 AM
  #17
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
I remember this being discussed last year before Boston was selected or immediately after.

This isn't feasible and I believe the league actually commented on this. Or maybe it was NHL Live commenting.... doesn't matter

Regardless, someone did some number crunching and estimating and it would actually cost the league money after revenues to set it up in central park. Getting the necessary security from the NYPD/FDNY, setting up bleachers (you can't possibly get enough bleachers to make it profitable), security in the perimeter of the park so you couldn't avoid paying to get it, convincing the city of NY or state (LOL) to fund it when they are strapped to begin with... I can list on and on why this will never happen.

I think we're just going to have to be patient and hope this crap with Yankee Stadium hosting the pos bowl game gets over with soon so we can have it there.
the lg has to look beyond making money at an event like this ... the publicity it would generate in the media cap. of the world would be priceless.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:07 AM
  #18
Scooter17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
I remember this being discussed last year before Boston was selected or immediately after.

This isn't feasible and I believe the league actually commented on this. Or maybe it was NHL Live commenting.... doesn't matter

Regardless, someone did some number crunching and estimating and it would actually cost the league money after revenues to set it up in central park. Getting the necessary security from the NYPD/FDNY, setting up bleachers (you can't possibly get enough bleachers to make it profitable), security in the perimeter of the park so you couldn't avoid paying to get it, convincing the city of NY or state (LOL) to fund it when they are strapped to begin with... I can list on and on why this will never happen.

I think we're just going to have to be patient and hope this crap with Yankee Stadium hosting the pos bowl game gets over with soon so we can have it there.
The league would probably lose money in the short run, but would it benefeit the league in the long run? After all this event is supposed to bring interest to the sport and put hockey on a big stage.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:08 AM
  #19
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,442
vCash: 500
Im sure if we work Crosby into the plan somehow we can get the league's approval

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:11 AM
  #20
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Im sure if we work Crosby into the plan somehow we can get the league's approval
Pre-game diving exhibition?

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:12 AM
  #21
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
The league would probably lose money in the short run, but would it benefeit the league in the long run? After all this event is supposed to bring interest to the sport and put hockey on a big stage.
It's a tough question to answer. You can probably estimate the marginal growth of interest associated to each of the previous Winter Classics, but how can you go about estimating the difference in impact of a Winter Classic in Central Park versus a Winter Classic in a football or baseball stadium?

I just don't see how you can build a model that can properly estimate an unbiased coefficient. It would basically be a blind gamble on the part of the NHL.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:22 AM
  #22
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
The Winter Classic is basically a made for TV event anyways. Imagine the amazing camera shots a game in Central Park would produce and the millions of dollars in free publicity it would generate...not to mention the buzz created in the center of the media world.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:37 AM
  #23
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING
 
Carl Hagelins Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
It would be very expensive to do. The NHL doesn't have the kind of money to just gamble like that. The revenues should at least pay for itself and it wouldn't even come close. And like I mentioned, the city nor the state will help the league out with getting it done financially either.

Plus, you guys are ignoring the added costs of having it in such a public location like central park. Ignore the costs of setting up the ice and erecting bleachers and all the other camaraderie that goes with the event -- you still need to factor in the added costs of all that police and fire department security/overtime that the city won't pay either. There are so many logistical costs of doing it in the middle of Manhattan the league just can't do it despite all the potential long term benefits. It's a total gamble.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:46 AM
  #24
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
It would be very expensive to do. The NHL doesn't have the kind of money to just gamble like that. The revenues should at least pay for itself and it wouldn't even come close. And like I mentioned, the city nor the state will help the league out with getting it done financially either.

Plus, you guys are ignoring the added costs of having it in such a public location like central park. Ignore the costs of setting up the ice and erecting bleachers and all the other camaraderie that goes with the event -- you still need to factor in the added costs of all that police and fire department security/overtime that the city won't pay either. There are so many logistical costs of doing it in the middle of Manhattan the league just can't do it despite all the potential long term benefits. It's a total gamble.
nobody is saying its going to be cheap ... the NHL should bite the bullet and make it happen...get a world class media event set up in the media center of the world. Get NYC to help out..the city is always claiming that events like this are huge $$ generators...or at least thats what they tell us when they want to throw a parade.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:56 AM
  #25
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella
 
Carlos Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,205
vCash: 50
The KHL all star game had an attendance of approximately 2,500.

It's simply not possible to create enough stadium seating in such an environment. This would be a joke if it ever happened.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.