HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you could get rid of anyone on the team.....

Old
03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
wow. no fire trotz yet. what has happened to our fan base?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
It's not as easy to hate a coach when you're in playoff position.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:48 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
The neck has grown on me. Certain things still drive me crazy but he's kept this team focused for the most part this year. The team is resilient and he's part of that. Horachek on the other hand.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
I like Barry Trotz, personally. He's my kind of coach. Especially the way he acts towards the media.
Posted via Mobile Device

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
It's not as easy to hate a coach when you're in playoff position.
well, you havent been around us that long... just wait and see what happens if we lose in round one...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Que Sera Sera

I've never been an HFBoards member during playoff time, and I'm pretty new to the Preds. I imagine like any other fanbase we'll find someone to blame if we exit early but I could see us going deep this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, you havent been around us that long... just wait and see what happens if we lose in round one...
We've been through that set of discussions before and while I've been awfully quiet on this subject, what would you do if you were the GM and owners if that happened again? Not saying a firing would be justified but at the same time, you have to start to wonder as well.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Que Sera Sera

I imagine that Trotz's job would be in jeopardy in that case. But this is the best Predators team in quite a while. I'd think that the front office would give him another year with these guys before they pull the plug on him.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We've been through that set of discussions before and while I've been awfully quiet on this subject, what would you do if you were the GM and owners if that happened again? Not saying a firing would be justified but at the same time, you have to start to wonder as well.
any realistic and fair person would have to admit that just making the playoffs this year has been quite an achievement. A first round loss wouldnt make me happy but it is an improvement from last year. I think its gonna take a bomb-out tpye season where its obvious the coaches have "lost the room" to displace Trotz.

Sucks for the haters but thats the truth. There was good reason to want a change when we couldnt get it done with the talent we had here from 05-07 but I dont think there is another coach in the league who could have taken this roster and done any better.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4066
Im gonna change my answer to Dumont.

I love the guy but he isnt the same Dumont that showed up here a few short years ago.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:05 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Dumont hasn't been the same til he took that hit from Burrows. Whether that's physical or just in his head I dunno....

However, since they split the SAD line up I think he's played much better - he's obviously not gonna' get better as a skater, but if you watch he's actually trying to play D (maybe not all the time, but a lot) and he's working hard, well, harder on the forecheck.... on a line with guys that'll shoot the puck and/or go to the net he can still be effective.

and he's only 32 - I don't think he's seen such a quick and steep decline in his skills like Sully clearly has, so on the right line next year I think he could be valuable.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Right now the contracts which I could live without are one years. Klein is the closest to a Get outta here!

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:21 PM
shootthepuck

Klein drives me crazy sometimes if someone had to leave to team I would prefer it be him (because Belak in my mind is essentially already off the team). Sullivans contract may be a little high going into next season that said I like how he has been playing recently.

shootthepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:45 PM
thejlb*

Smithson. Just feel we could do better, Whats he got like one assist this year and a handful of goals.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Que Sera Sera

He's not really that bad, is he? The only player that has stuck out to me as being worse than the rest of the team is Belak but the heavyweight prescence is undeniably useful.

Old
03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
any realistic and fair person would have to admit that just making the playoffs this year has been quite an achievement. A first round loss wouldnt make me happy but it is an improvement from last year. I think its gonna take a bomb-out tpye season where its obvious the coaches have "lost the room" to displace Trotz.

Sucks for the haters but thats the truth. There was good reason to want a change when we couldnt get it done with the talent we had here from 05-07 but I dont think there is another coach in the league who could have taken this roster and done any better.
I wouldn't dump him at this point if we flamed out in the playoffs. He's gotten a lot of mileage out of this group for sure and honestly, this may be his best job of coaching that I've seen. We have actually been pretty steady as a team for the most part this year. One bad losing streak early followed by a great winning streak, followed by a solid stretch of hockey where we weren't bad but we weren't amazing followed by a post Olympic break run that was a lot of fun to watch.

I wasn't advocating a dump by any means but you know where I've stood on this for a long time so I'm sure it surprises you a little to hear me say this stuff. I really think it's funny that guys like Sacco and Tippett are mentioned for coach of the year, and while they've done a great job, Trotz needs to be mentioned this year as much as any of these guys.

If this team ever got their special teams firing we would be oh so dangerous. The PK has looked much better as of late yet the PP struggles drive me insane.