Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marty Turco opinions please

Old
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Marty Turco opinions please

I come in peace. There is a lot of talk on the FLyers boards of signing Marty Turco. I was just wondering your opinion on his game - you guys would know best. Is he currently a:

1. Great goalie
2. Good goalie
3. Middle of the pack goalie
4. Bad goalie.

Cheers for the advice folks.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
SinBinTexan

when hes on his game he can be great ('07+'08 playoffs) but times he tries to do too much and ends up letting in softies. hes inconsistent. no question hes one of most athletic/acrobatic and gifted puck handling goalies.
its hard to fairly judge him cuz recently his d has been suspect.

I think he will do well in Philly if he lands there, with solid defense.
to give you a number though, I say 2.

SinBinTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
vofty

Based on the last two years I will say that Marty is not the goalie he once was but that he can elevate his game to shades of his former self for short periods of time. He will make the most beautiful hard save and then let an unbelievably terrible soft goal, or a terribly timed goal. If Marty did end up in Philly I personally think he would do better and people would say he's having a resurgence but mostly it would be because Philly's defense is so much better than Dallas'. The reason Dallas was in the bottom on the defense statistics was a combination of terrible defense and terrible goaltending, perhaps if Marty got good defense his game would elevate. It really is hard to tell how much Marty has left in the tank. He plays a very kamikaze style of goaltending and that certainly puts wear and tear on the body. I think he could possibly go on another run like 2008 but he will have to play significantly less games and would need a guy like Pronger in front of him.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I come in peace. There is a lot of talk on the FLyers boards of signing Marty Turco. I was just wondering your opinion on his game - you guys would know best. Is he currently a:

1. Great goalie
2. Good goalie
4. Bad goalie.

Probably a 3 with potential to move to a 2.5. He can be good for stretches, but inconsistent is a great way to sum up the past 2 seasons. If you want a no better than average puck stopper and a great puckhandler, he's your guy. He has a history of letting in the untimely goal, but he's a leader and a fiery competitor that I could see in a Flyers uniform come the offseason.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
BeaverSports

I think if he moves to the Eastern Conference, he could reestablish his game somewhat. Turco always relied on athleticism more than positioning and he's getting older. That's not a recipe for success on a team that travels more than anyone else in the NHL that also has a porous blue line.

If Philly can fit him under the cap, I think it could be a nice pickup for them.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Caseman

Turco will shine behind a strong defense like Philly. Plus, he will thwart opposing team's forecheck with his puckplay

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:23 PM
The Big Unit

I thought Philly should've gone after Turco at the trade deadline as he was available until Nieuwendyk decided that the team could push for a playoff spot. I think he's a prime choice for the Flyers next season and his salary demands should be lower than what he's currently getting making it easier for the Flyers to fit him under the cap with a few tweaks. Price is available too so maybe that'll work better for Philly as they can trade salary away and Price will be cheaper and is much younger than Turco.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
With the mobility on Philly's blueline, Turco seems like he'd be a perfect fit, lacing tape-to-tape passes. I can see him re-finding his game in Philly; not "first round 2007 vs. Vancouver" good, but a serviceable starter capable of carrying the team for a full season.

06-01-2010, 04:20 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I'd give him a three. He isn't the same anymore but with a good defense in front of him he will look much better though

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Verbeek2Hall

I would put Marty at a 2.5-2, I have seen him carry the team but he is too inconsistent to be an elite goaltender at this point in his career.
Good fit for a strong team that lacks a competent goaltender(they could perhaps overcome his softies).

Excellent puck moving skill the vast majority of the time. Maybe in a fresh setting with fewer starts he could raise to the tier just below the elite keepers of the league. Compared to what Philly has right now defiantly an upgrade.

Last edited by Verbeek2Hall: 06-01-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: i am illiterate
Verbeek2Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Verbeek2Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
. He has a history of letting in the untimely goal, but he's a leader and a fiery competitor that I could see in a Flyers uniform come the offseason.

All goals are untimely

Old
06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I put him as a 2 who played like a 3.5 this past year. As some have already said, it's hard to know who to blame, Turco or the defense (the obvious answer is they fed off each other in an all-too negative fashion), but I honestly feel that Turco will have a solid year in Philly (yes, I'm speaking in the definitive because I think he signs there).

A whole slew of other things have to go right for the Flyers to make it back deep in the playoffs, but I just don't see Leighton or Boucher or Emery or anybody like that doing this for a full year and then in the playoffs. Turco can realistically be that guy. As a Philly fan, you should feel pretty good about things for 2010-11 if/when Turco signs, depending of course on the dollar amount.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbeek2Hall View Post
All goals are untimely
Ya got me there, maybe would be better if I said, he never made the timely save. It makes me cringe to think about SH goal he gave up late in a playoff game against Colorado in 2Ksomethingorother. I can't remember what year it was, but Colorado put us down 4-1 and Marty could have easily won the series if he made the timely save. How bout the Stefan blunder and Hemsky wonder? I could go on. Let's just say Marty doesn't have the history of stealing the show with late game heroics. I know I didn't have to retort, it just makes me ill to think about all the pain. It's in the rearview now though.

Old
06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I put him as a 2 who played like a 3.5 this past year. As some have already said, it's hard to know who to blame, Turco or the defense (the obvious answer is they fed off each other in an all-too negative fashion), but I honestly feel that Turco will have a solid year in Philly (yes, I'm speaking in the definitive because I think he signs there).

A whole slew of other things have to go right for the Flyers to make it back deep in the playoffs, but I just don't see Leighton or Boucher or Emery or anybody like that doing this for a full year and then in the playoffs. Turco can realistically be that guy. As a Philly fan, you should feel pretty good about things for 2010-11 if/when Turco signs, depending of course on the dollar amount.

I think the good news for Philly, if this is in fact where he signs, is that Turco has been a durable goalie which is surprising given his style of play.

Does anyone see Turco making more than 3.5 next year? Of course some contracts baffle us all, but I just can't see it given his declining play the past couple seasons, not to mention the fact he's had limited playoff success at the NHL level.

I'm going off the charts to predict Turco end's up in Florida for 2-3 years to bring Markstrom along. Vokoun traded to a contender like SJ for spare parts...different thread though.

Old
06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Does anyone see Turco making more than 3.5 next year? Of course some contracts baffle us all, but I just can't see it given his declining play the past couple seasons, not to mention the fact he's had limited playoff success at the NHL level.
I don't see how he makes 3.5 next year. I could see 3 tops, but I was assuming he would sign for something like 2.25-2.75 million. I have no real idea though, because he could take a smaller paycheck to get himself in a good situation or he could just sign the biggest deal offered him. I haven't even really looked at the FA market goalie-wise other than Nabokov; what else is out there? Dan Ellis and then what?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Chad_

Despite Turco not playing well in Dallas for the past couple of seasons, and with the NHL's worst defense that's not exactly surprising, there are a number of teams who will or should show interest. Turco likely is the best, or most notable, free agent goalie this summer. Not many guys with his history and reputation make it to free agency at that position. You can argue whether or not his reputation is deserved or not, but it's there.

If Philly is looking, and they should be, they'll join San Jose and Washington as playoff teams (this year) who have a future need in net. Add in other teams such as St. Louis, the New York Isle. who seem to always want to sign another goalie, Edmonton and Tampa, there could be quite a small bidding war. If that's the case, $3.5 million is not that high a mark.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I haven't even really looked at the FA market goalie-wise other than Nabokov; what else is out there? Dan Ellis and then what?
Mason, BBTT - Budaj, Biron, Theo, Toskala. Of these guys, you have to believe Turco will seek the most attention of the contenders, or at least fans of the contenders according to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
You can argue whether or not his reputation is deserved or not, but it's there.
And this is exactly why I thought 3.5 might be the winning number. I agree with Glovesave, he's probably not worth more than 2.5ish on merit, but reputation is likely to get him the added bonus. Can Philly, Wash, or SJ afford a whole lot more than the 3.5? Maybe a NYI, FLA or TBay does steal him from the contenders at 3.75 or 4?? I guess we'll find out if Marty wants the cash or the cup come July...I'm thinking the latter.

Old
06-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Maybe a NYI, FLA or TBay does steal him from the contenders at 3.75 or 4??
Heh, that would be funny if he ended up in Tampa Bay fighting for playing time with Mike Smith again.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:13 AM
DROPxTHExGLOVES*

San Jose Mercury paper says "Either Nabakov or Marleau will go this season, only 1 will stay." The general talk is that Marleau will stay and Nabby will go to Washington, with that being said.... It is possible that San Jose will throw up to 3.5 million a year Turco's way and compete with Philly to sign him. Just something to chew on Dallas/Philly fans.

DROPxTHExGLOVES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:27 AM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPxTHExGLOVES View Post
San Jose Mercury paper says "Either Nabakov or Marleau will go this season, only 1 will stay." The general talk is that Marleau will stay and Nabby will go to Washington, with that being said.... It is possible that San Jose will throw up to 3.5 million a year Turco's way and compete with Philly to sign him. Just something to chew on Dallas/Philly fans.
Someone on this board did say San Jose should sign him 'cause Turco never loses in the Shark Tank.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:01 PM
haf

I would say 2 with the occasional one. His ability to stifle forechecks pushes him past the 2-2.5 range most nights. While he does let in the occasional softy, he more than makes up for it with a number of saves that have no business being stopped.

His poor numbers are largely the result of Dallas having a subpar D-core, and Crawford's confusing his players to no end with incoherent team D strategy.

His passing is uncanny for a goalie and i could see Philly loving him. He would probably instantly be the best passer on their back end, or at least give Pronger a run for his money. Richards and Gagne would be on perpetual breakaways. Perhaps thats overstating it, but it isn't overstating very far.

Philly should sign him up if they can.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post

1. Great goalie
2. Good goalie
4. Bad goalie.

So is Leighton considered good as gone as far as Flyer fans go? He was better than Turco this season.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:08 PM
DROPxTHExGLOVES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
So is Leighton considered good as gone as far as Flyer fans go? He was better than Turco this season.
He also has Chris Pronger and Matt Carle keeping the crease clear so that he can track the puck off of the stick and stop it.

DROPxTHExGLOVES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Verbeek2Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
So was the Flyers D. yes what DROPxTHExGloves said.

Last edited by Verbeek2Hall: 06-04-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: redundant post.
Old
06-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Bad Karma

Both points are a given. The question still remains, why bother with Turco if Leighton can handle it?

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote