HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I want the Rangers to MISS the playoffs(All for/against discussion here)

View Poll Results: Do you want the Rangers to MAKE or MISS the playoffs?
MAKE the playoffs 86 50.29%
MISS the playoffs 85 49.71%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Sorry fellas, I just cant do it. I wanted to sell at the deadline, and I can complain until Im blue in the face about that, but the fact of that matter is it didnt happen.

If you watch these last 7 games, and are openly rooting for the Rangers to lose to "teach them a lesson" then I'd have to openly question your motives.

Now, if we lose 7 in a row and fall into a top 5 pick, then thats a different story, but I dont see that happening. You have guys on this team that want to win, starting with the goaltender, so why not root for them and see a few extra games this post-season?

Also, I dont think missing the playoffs this season will bring about the change we all clamor for.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, if you want to talk about probabilities and rationality, why don't you tell us how much a top 5 pick increases our chances of winning over the next five years? I bet you can't tell us.

The organization is inept on many levels. Getting a Cam Fowler or Vlad Tarasenko might make us a bit more talented overall, but does it fix the inadequacies we have, from the owner down? Of course not. For all we know, we'll be in the exact same situation one or two or three years from now, only with a guy that we got with a high draft pick.

Having a high pick is great, I ackowledge that. But to root for it? Not buying it. Particularly when that high pick does nothing to address the root of our problems, namely, a ****** owner, a ****** GM, and a crappy coach.
Still, having that high draft pick wouldn't hurt.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Still, having that high draft pick wouldn't hurt.
Of course it wouldn't hurt. But the chances that it helps substantially, for me, aren't great enough to outweigh the absurdity of rooting against the Rangers. It's that simple.

Honestly, as much as I love this place, that so many people are willing to quit, it just makes me sick. And rooting against the team is even worse. It's sports blasphemy.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I have this logic with the Mets, and this is only because it's a guarantee that Minaya (a worse GM and an even more deplorable character than Sather, if you can believe it) will be fired if they struggle. Sather isn't going anywhere even if they miss the playoffs.

We're talking about JAMES DOLAN here. This is a man who kept Isiah Thomas as GM despite one miserable year after another for something like 5 or 6 years. Glen Sather's Rangers teams have been in the playoffs the last five. Do you really think he'll fire him after missing it once? No, the man is here to stay, so I'm rooting for them to do the best that they can.

Everything that you guys are suggesting happen (dumping Redden, signing a premier forward, cleaning up the roster a bit) will happen whether we make the playoffs or not. The organization knows Redden is a disaster whose contract they need to eat, and making the playoffs won't change that.

I just think the logic is faulty here because it's assuming that if the organization takes a step backward by missing the playoffs, major changes will happen. I don't think it will be some kind of wakeup call. The strategical plan for this offseason will likely be the same whether they get it or not. I mean, they made it last year and Sather practically overhauled the entire roster! Had they missed, what could have possibly been much different? Think about it guys. I also want them to get in for Henke. He deserves a taste of the playoffs after the year he has had.
This pretty much sums it up. Do you guys actually think that management will make significant overhaul if we miss the playoffs? Oh lawd...

I was ready to hang them out to dry when the Rangers beat the Devils. They're dangling that carrot right above me. They're a damn frustrating team to watch, they have absolutely zero identity, no game-plan, the epitome of inconsistent, and they aggravate the hell out of me.

With all that being said, they're still my team and I'm rooting for them to make the playoffs.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:31 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Of course it wouldn't hurt. But the chances that it helps substantially, for me, aren't great enough to outweigh the absurdity of rooting against the Rangers. It's that simple.

Honestly, as much as I love this place, that so many people are willing to quit, it just makes me sick. And rooting against the team is even worse. It's sports blasphemy.
thank you for explaining in one sentance what i attempted to say in many paragraphs in two sperarate threads

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
This pretty much sums it up. Do you guys actually think that management will make significant overhaul if we miss the playoffs? Oh lawd...

I was ready to hang them out to dry when the Rangers beat the Devils. They're dangling that carrot right above me. They're a damn frustrating team to watch, they have absolutely zero identity, no game-plan, the epitome of inconsistent, and they aggravate the hell out of me.

With all that being said, they're still my team and I'm rooting for them to make the playoffs.
Yes! Exactly! The team has a ******** of problems that a good draft pick and a missed playoffs aren't going to fix.

How anyone could root against their own team, is just mind boggling.

Old
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It seems appropriate, so I added a poll.

Old
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Completely agreed. I would follow your presecription 100%.

The only question I have is regarding firing Torts. I agree he's a total d-bag and not the sort of guy I want representing my team to the outside world. But I do like the style of hockey he espouses and I'm not sure who is out there to step in and replace him. (IMO Laviolette would have been the perfect replacement for Renney - his teams play aggressive hockey, but somehow he's able to do it without being a dick.) If we are to fire Torts only a year after firing Renney, then no more retreads. I want TRULY new blood - someone who's not another veteran on the coaching carousel. Get some young up-and-comer from juniors in his 30s to completely reinvent the team on the ice and in the lockerroom.

I mentioned this in several posts. The Rangers have never really gone the route of getting a young 30-something coach who earned his keep through coaching in junior and the minors. I know it's not always a recipe for success, but Renney was the closest thing and it kinda worked. Trottier was an assistant but never coached. Low was a nice guy but had a horrid roster. Schoenfeld just isnt a good coach IMO, same with Paddock.

I am far from a Renney fan, but I must say I am a little ashamed of the way Torts carries himself. Guys like Keenan and Parcells were bulldogs in practice, bulldogs during games...off the playing field they were painstakingly monotone and boring, but never unprofessional (although Parcells calling Terry Glenn "she" was pretty funny)

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

That's perfectly reasonable, but at the same time, I can't fault people for not wanting to "roll over and take it," so to speak.

Will one single draft pick change the fortunes of this team? Probably not, and if it does, it certainly won't be immediately.

Will missing the playoffs result in the shake-up this front office desperately needs? Again, probably not.

Still, will making the playoffs result in either of those occurrences? No, they won't. Point being, some of us feel that there are more potential positives from a lottery pick and missing the playoffs, than there are with a early round knock out. I think it's a very slight minority that is "rooting" for this team to lose, but I can't fault them for hoping that situation will result in a better one moving forward.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

If they won in Toronto, I would have said "make" because getting the 7th seed was still a possibility.

But the lost point and Philly's win on Sunday has pretty much made me pro-Golf. They went from being possibly 3 points out of Philly with a game in hand and the home-and-home to being 6 points out.

Finishing 8th is a total waste. Finishing 7th to possibly play the Devils gives this team a legit shot at the 2nd round.

Beating the Devils in the playoffs would make this miserable season worth it, IMO.

Buuuuuuuut, probably not going to happen since the Devils have no goaltending, the Pens are hot and we are NOT sweeping the home-and-home with the Flyers.

Get the lottery pick and move forward

Old
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
eco's bones

I'm one of those who has to see to believe--and what I've seen so far this year does not make me believe that we have any chance at all to beat the Caps--in fact I think if we face them that series will shape out to be one of the biggest blowouts in hockey history--maybe on a par of what we did to the Islanders in the 94 playoffs.

The way forward as I see it is to get the best draft positioning possible--to get rid of Sather, Tortorella, Sullivan, Gernander, Drury, Redden, Jokinen and possibly even Rozsival and to be more circumspect about the free agents we bring in--how much they cost and how they'll fit in with what we already have in place.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Kind of Blue

you guys are exhausting

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Definitely miss.

It's about the future now, not unrealistic chances of going on a magical playoff run and beating teams like the Caps, Pens, Sharks/Haws/Nucks.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:55 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

Trust me...it's a lot easier to openly "root against" the Rangers on a message board. I am sure a lot of "pro-tank" people on here get just as excited and root for the Rangers when we are actually watching or going to the game. Trust me. I tried. I physically and mentally cannot root against my team (as much as I would like to sometimes because they are so damn frustrating)

It's not like I paint my face the other team's colors and cheer when the Rangers give a goal.

Overall, it's really just venting and trying to direct or channel your frustration elsewhere. But in the end, we are all happy when the Rangers win. In a perfect world, we win all the games, make the playoffs, then trade Roszival and Redden on draft day to move up and draft a top five pick

Just keep in mind that if (a big if) we get a top-5 pick and that pick becomes the next Leetch or Amonte or Zubov, it would be perfectly understandable if the little voice inside your head said "jeez..thank God we lost all those meaningless games, or else we would have never been able to draft so-and-so"

Old
03-30-2010, 10:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That's perfectly reasonable, but at the same time, I can't fault people for not wanting to "roll over and take it," so to speak.

Will one single draft pick change the fortunes of this team? Probably not, and if it does, it certainly won't be immediately.

Will missing the playoffs result in the shake-up this front office desperately needs? Again, probably not.

Still, will making the playoffs result in either of those occurrences? No, they won't. Point being, some of us feel that there are more potential positives from a lottery pick and missing the playoffs, than there are with a early round knock out. I think it's a very slight minority that is "rooting" for this team to lose, but I can't fault them for hoping that situation will result in a better one moving forward.
Well, you make valid points. I probably ought to back down a bit. I still believe that whatever positives may develop isn't enough to warrant "hoping" your team misses the playoffs, but whatever.

As for the part in bold: I can, and I do.

Old
03-30-2010, 10:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Trust me...it's a lot easier to openly "root against" the Rangers on a message board. I am sure a lot of "pro-tank" people on here get just as excited and root for the Rangers when we are actually watching or going to the game. Trust me. I tried. I physically and mentally cannot root against my team (as much as I would like to sometimes because they are so damn frustrating)

It's not like I paint my face the other team's colors and cheer when the Rangers give a goal.

Overall, it's really just venting and trying to direct or channel your frustration elsewhere. But in the end, we are all happy when the Rangers win. In a perfect world, we win all the games, make the playoffs, then trade Roszival and Redden on draft day to move up and draft a top five pick

Just keep in mind that if (a big if) we get a top-5 pick and that pick becomes the next Leetch or Amonte or Zubov, it would be perfectly understandable if the little voice inside your head said "jeez..thank God we lost all those meaningless games, or else we would have never been able to draft so-and-so"
That makes sense. Because if I was at a Rangers game sitting next to a Rangers fan rooting openly against the team...well, I'd beat them.

Old
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I'm one of those who has to see to believe--and what I've seen so far this year does not make me believe that we have any chance at all to beat the Caps--in fact I think if we face them that series will shape out to be one of the biggest blowouts in hockey history--maybe on a par of what we did to the Islanders in the 94 playoffs.

The way forward as I see it is to get the best draft positioning possible--to get rid of Sather, Tortorella, Sullivan, Gernander, Drury, Redden, Jokinen and possibly even Rozsival and to be more circumspect about the free agents we bring in--how much they cost and how they'll fit in with what we already have in place.

Exactly. We have to give our kids a chance to lead this team and build around them, not the other way around. I am willing to go one more year of this to get the right pieces in place.

That being said, I would love to have Kovy here for the next 5 years

Old
03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
can I vote

Quote:

yep yep. Always root for your team. Who knows what happens when you make the POs. And, at the very least, its 2 more home games to attend and 4 to watch.

For the Rangers to make the playoffs, they'd have to end the regular season on a good streak... seems like a great way to start the POs if you ask me.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
That makes sense. Because if I was at a Rangers game sitting next to a Rangers fan rooting openly against the team...well, I'd beat them.
Fans in the past used to wear Rangers jerseys with the circle and line through the logo.

One guy had a "Call 911" on the back of his jersey.

I guess when you are paying between 3-12 grand a year for season tix, you can take that risk

Old
03-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Yes! Exactly! The team has a ******** of problems that a good draft pick and a missed playoffs aren't going to fix.

How anyone could root against their own team, is just mind boggling.
I can't root against them. When the game starts, I'm always hoping for them to lead on the scoreboard, but in the back of my head...i know what the real score is.

The Devil game the other night is a good example. Drury scored and I was going nuts. And when they won it in overtime, I was feeling good. Things felt right. But it didn't take very long after for the thought to creep back into my head. This team just isn't good enough. Hell, they weren't even good enough to outplay the Devil's in that game...forget about trying to win 4 differents series against the best teams in the league. Ain't gonna happen.

There are no sure things in the draft, but this team's biggest problem is talent. I don't need statistics to show me that there's a better chance of getting the better player with an earlier pick, than there is with a later pick.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:08 AM
terrrrrible

When's the last time the Rangers drafted someone in the first round who completely turned the team around (Leetch, Kovalev)? MDZ and Staal are up now and they haven't done anything to that effect yet. What about all the other prospects we have who haven't gotten to the league yet that are supposed to be good? I don't much follow them on my own and I'll admit what I know about them I've learned through reading these boards (and on that note next year's draft doesn't seem too stacked). Who of the top picks is going to turn this team into a contender next year? Rangers should continue to play hard and I'll root for them to win until that last horn of their regular season sounds.

Last edited by terrrrrible: 03-30-2010 at 11:26 AM.
terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

I agree completely. Yeah I watch and part of me is happy when we win but even with all that my head is telling me that it just ain't going to work with this team and the draft positioning is much more important than picking #15 and getting clobbered by the Capitals or falling just a little short and picking somewhere between 10 and 14.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:15 AM
mhurley

Quote:
Exactly. We have to give our kids a chance to lead this team and build around them, not the other way around. I am willing to go one more year of this to get the right pieces in place.
That being said, I would love to have Kovy here for the next 5 years
A lot of us are, um, getting older and there aren't that many "one more years" left.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:22 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We're 4 points out of the playoffs and 4 points away from the 3rd overall pick.

If we get the 6th overall pick, we have a 6.2% chance of winning the lottery and moving up to 2nd overall. I'd say those are better odds than we'd have against washington.

Exactly, GAG. And, if you come away with a chance at Seguin, you gain more for this franchise than a blip of a playoff run.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Im not hoping they do, but after the season is over, any better playoff spot will be a blessing, especially in a strong draft. But we can always nab Tarasenko if he falls as I am sure he will and get a Cherepanov pick.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote