HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Given that Ottawa's supposed to go through a "makeover"...

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Guy LaFleur

vCash: 500
Given that Ottawa's supposed to go through a "makeover"...

Who would you like to see in a Habs sweater next year?

I'd LOVE to see Spezza in our sweater. I love him and he's going to be a big star for years to come. Given the treatment he's gotten in Ottawa, he could be on the move. Although his treatment was mostly due to Martin not liking him. I'd like to see him with us, but it's definitely not likely in the least. I wouldn't mind giving up something for him.

I'd also like to see Havlat in a Habs sweater. He missed a lot of time (and we know what that can do to players) and he still scored 25 goals on a team with such spread-out offensive talent. The big problem there is he'll want Kovalev-like money, which he won't get here... We need that for Kovi. He was lucky to get the one-year 3mil contract from Ottawa. He'll likely want 5mil from a team this time around with a possible long-term contract (which, sadly, seems to go wrong for the Habs... (*Cough.*Auddette*Cough.*) Besides, we don't have a ton of money to throw at free-agents, if any at all... and with the likely salary cap... ich.

This is mostly a "what if?" topic. I doubt any posts would actually happen.

Last edited by Guy LaFleur: 05-04-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old
05-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy LaFleur

I'd LOVE to see Spezza in our sweater. I love him and he's going to be a big star for years to come. Given the treatment he's gotten in Ottawa, he could be on the move. Although his treatment was mostly due to Martin not liking him. I'd like to see him with us, but it's definitely not likely in the least. I wouldn't mind giving up something for him.
Would LOVE to see Spezza centreing our second line next year (if there is hockey). I'm sure his price tag is going to be riducluosly high though if (and that's a big "if") Ottawa is even entertaining offers for him.

Old
05-04-2004, 09:28 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy LaFleur

I'd also like to see Havlat in a Habs sweater. He missed a lot of time (and we know what that can do to players) and he still scored 25 goals on a team with such spread-out offensive talent. The big problem there is he'll want Kovalev-like money, which he won't get here... We need that for Kovi. He was lucky to get the one-year 3mil contract from Ottawa. He'll likely want 5mil from a team this time around with a possible long-term contract (which, sadly, seems to go wrong for the Habs... (*Cough.*Auddette*Cough.*) Besides, we don't have a ton of money to throw at free-agents, if any at all... and with the likely salary cap... ich.

This is mostly a "what if?" topic. I doubt any posts would actually happen.
There's just too many problems for this to happen.

5-Montreal is in the same division as Ottawa
4-Ottawa simply wants to bring him into a system that includes defense which he has neglected for the most part so far.
3-Montreal would have to give up their farm team to land him
2-Montreal is in the same conference as Ottawa
1-Montreal is in the same division as Ottawa

So as much as it would be fun to see him here, it just won't happen unless a 3rd team gets involved. Odds are that even if a 3rd team did get involved, they would be asking a ransom for him that we aren't willing to pay. We have been building depth in the farm club to allow us to bring players into the big club and not to trade them all away for one potential superstar. Give Perezhogin and Kastitsyn a chance to show what they can do as those are the likely candidates that Ottawa would be asking as well as 1 or 2 top players out of our roster.

Old
05-04-2004, 09:58 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Another problem is that John Muckler is all about Spezza... Spezza not playing in the playoffs may be a (little) reason why Martin got fired. IMO Ottawa is not likely to trade Jason Spezza.

Old
05-04-2004, 09:59 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Sorry Guy...but the Habs would have a better chance at getting Joe Thornton from the Bruins than getting Spezza from the Sens.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Lewis63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Sorry Guy...but the Habs would have a better chance at getting Joe Thornton from the Bruins than getting Spezza from the Sens.
off topic but that can't really be the NHL2005 box art they'll put the Hart or Conn Smyth winner on it no?

back to the thread, getting Spezza will be near impossible...Ottawa won't trade the future to the habs...

Old
05-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Guy LaFleur

Guys, I'm completely aware that they won't get any of these players. If you'd note the last part of my post, you'd see that I stated as much. Our financial situation won't let us make many/any moves on the market this year outside of Kovalev, let alone a big splash.

Old
05-04-2004, 12:58 PM
BigM1ke

Spezza is a young prospects. Ottawa won't trade him....

The Habs are eliminated so that means the madness about trades and signings starts all over again!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Old
05-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
There's just too many problems for this to happen.
Yah. If we want to speculate about players who could be available from Ottawa:
Lalime, Bonk, Smolinski, Bondra, DeVries, Leschyshyn are probably the guys we should talk about, not Spezza, Havlat, Chara, Hossa, etc. And several of them will probably be free agents who could just be signed for $$$, no trades necessary.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Hossa, hes my favourite Sen, although Spezza aint that far off.

Hossa was outstanding in the playoffs. The guys has it all, speed, size, shot, great pasing skills, heart, physical play, desire.......

Hes the real deal!

Closed Thread