HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Lowe Be Given A Free Pass?

Old
03-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post

A vast improvement in drafting would suggest some quality picks from rounds 3/4 and on that will contribute to this team. Where are they? Gagner and MPS are a product of serendipity.
2009: Rajala in the 4th round was considered a steal
2008: Cornet in the 5th round and Hartikainen in the 6th round.
2007: Omark in the 4th round
2006: Peckam in the 3rd round
2005: Vande Velde in the 4th round

Those all look like guys who could still make an impact in the NHL.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:20 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Great post. So many people were on board with every move he has made, then calling him a idiot in retropsect when he did somethign they approved??? hmmmm, doesn't any one see how that works.

Any way, I dont' think many people appreciate how hard of a road Lowe has had. He took over a team with no prospects and a bottom of the league salery. pre lock out he was one of the few GMs to actually put out a competative team with no pay roll.

Post lock out he came 1 goal from the cup, No if and or buts, that is dam good.

Since then he finally has money to sign UFA, but nobody wants to come, Pronger skipped town, and we have ben plagued with crazy injuries. He has had a big up hill battle since 06, yet he has stockpiled the system with pics and young players.

Could he have done better? Of course, but this black and white view that he is a idiot is just ridiculous and not supported by the majority of the NHL.

I think this is a good point..... Everything is about what have you done for me lately and rightly so because of the situation that this franchise is in currently but if one is to look at Lowe's ENTIRE tenure as GM, he was widely regarded as one of the best GM's pre-lockout when he had absolutely nothing to work with financially but was somehow able to put together fringe playoff contenders year after year, he made good trades time after time while being forced to make those trades because the organization couldn't afford to keep top talent.... Obviously, post-lockout besides 2006 has been pretty much a disaster for him, i think it's a situation in which he won the lottery in a sense, he all of a sudden had the go ahead to spend all this money after all these years of having the purse strings tightened and he didn't know what to do with it, he got desperate due mostly to Prongergate and then Smythgate and therefore had to save face by signing Horcoff, Staios, Moreau and Pisani (2006 heroes) to bloated contracts although at the time, most fans had absolutely no problem with these contracts except maybe the Pisani one. The big problem for me was that Lowe went big game hunting every year when he could have paid attention to the team's more pressing needs and his desperation clearly showed by giving out those offer sheets and by trying to sign Nylander to a deal that we all knew was a bad idea at the time.
As far as Tambo is concerned, he's clearly made some mistakes with false promises, the Kotalik trade, letting Glencross walk, the Khabibulin contract and the Heatley chasing but i believe that it takes more than a year or two for a GM to truly make his mark on the franchise especially after the previous one created a mess so i think that this draft and offseason is when we'll really see what he's made of and i'm liking the Staios and Whitney trades so far so he's slowly but surely getting this team out of the darkness. So basically to summarize my long rant, Lowe wasn't the worst GM in the world, he was good and bad so all in all he was mediocre and i think we should preach patience with Tambo, lets see what he can do this offseason before burning him at the stake.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I have asked myself that question and the answer I came up with is that Tambellini isn't a very good GM.

I am on record in a lot of threads, this one included, that states Lowe doesn't get a free pass. He made a number of mistakes that have CONTRIBUTED to the state of the team.

However, I am also saying that Tambellini has done SFA to improve the situation and that lands on his shoulders, not Lowes. Couple that with Edmonton's drop in the standings the two years he has been at the helm and I am not sure why so many people A) remain optimistic about Tambellini and B) take it a step further and refuse to attach any of the stink to him by deflecting everything to Lowe.
It seems there's so much hatred towards Lowe that they'll blame Lowe for mistakes that Tambellini made.

- It was Tambellini that signed Khabibulin instead of Rolson, not Lowe
- It was Tambellini that traded Cole and a fifth round pick for Patrick O'Sullivan and a second round pick, not Lowe
- It was Tambellini that traded that second round pick for Kotalik and then let him walk, not Lowe

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:31 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Here's a question, what changed then? I think it's a cop out to say KLowe was forcing this or had a hand in that when it comes to negatives about Tambellini and then when it appears Tambellini has does something positive there is a sudden shift in the decision making at the management level.
What changed is that when you finish dead last, its hard to deny that there is something fundamentally wrong with the team you've built. Lowe simply can't push the win-now model anymore. Injury excuses aside, this season has forced him to drop this approach and realize that the team, as he built it, is not just a player or two away from competing. How is that a cop out? Im not assigning anything positive or negative to Tambellini's doing.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
It seems there's so much hatred towards Lowe that they'll blame Lowe for mistakes that Tambellini made.

- It was Tambellini that signed Khabibulin instead of Rolson, not Lowe
- It was Tambellini that traded Cole and a fifth round pick for Patrick O'Sullivan and a second round pick, not Lowe
- It was Tambellini that traded that second round pick for Kotalik and then let him walk, not Lowe
I certainly havent said that Tambellini is guilt free. He has had questionable moves as well.

But ask yourself this, is this team better with Cole and Kotalik and no Khabibulin? I don't think so. Kotalik and Cole both look terrible this year.

Old
03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Im not assigning anything positive or negative to Tambellini's doing.
No but you are essentially giving him a free pass by suggesting that Tambellini's moves or lack of moves or what have you were driven by what Lowe was demanding.

You use the trade deadline as a cut off because I assume that you fall into the group that thinks he did a good job, but that is obviously speculation on my part.

What I am suggesting is that Tambellini's moves, lack of moves or what have you are just examples of what type of GM he is. And because of that, the continued slide of the last 20 months is on his shoulders, not Lowe's.

He has done less here in in almost 2 years at the wheel than any other GM I can think off when joining a new team. He has also done less here in almost two years than Lowe, for better or worse, would damn near do in one year.

Both aspects point to Tambellini's style or capablilities than is does to Lowe pulling strings or his "need to evaluate the situation".

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
We could have Sutter as a GM and not be in the playoffs and not have any prospects in the cupboard.

People need to remember when some of those contracts got signed, like Pisani, right after the cup run and no one seemed upset then
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=265104

And Moreau's signing
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=297629

I could bring up the Horcoff thread again too... with so many posters here just thrilled with his extension.

Not too many people here on the boards were that upset over these signings, also no one could see into the future not even Lowe, I mean Pronger just ditched the city and the media was ravenous when it came to the city, they all threw this city under the bus.

I can tell you if I had a choice to be the GM in Edmonton or somewhere else I would choose somewhere else.

The only thing i will Blame Lowe for is the Smyth trade. Other than that It seems that Edmonton almost has to overpay to get some players to stay here. Also no one thought the Cap would decrease or stay the same, it was increasing yearly by about 5 million so at the time those deals did not look too bad, in hindsight they do.

When Lowe and the Oilers made it to game 7 he was touted as the best GM in the league by the posters here. How soon everyone forgets.
Smyth was one year away from UFA status. That off-season, Stoll, Hemsky and Horcoff filed for arbitration so they had to be signed. Roloson and Pisani were to become UFAs on July 1 and also had to sign. That's why Smyth wasn't signed right away.

Old
03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Marc08

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Kevin Lowe should still be fired.
Never!!!

Marc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Marc08

Quote:
Are you serious? Lowe as a 'very smart hockey mind"?

Very smart hockey minds dont make the mistakes he has made. I can understand a 'smart hockey mind' making one or two serious mistakes over a career, but not the endless list that this clown has made. Sorry you are wrong, just admit it and move on.

1) Utter mismanagement of the Farm System,
2) Utter mismanagement of the Franchises goalies for the past several years,
3) Comrie for Perry, MacDonald and a 1st -> and his emotions / need for revenge make this one of the worst non-trades in Oiler history,
4) Revenge against Comrie means for years players will avoid the Oilers as it is clear how Oiler management will treat them,
5) Terrible drafting for most of Lowe's Tenure as GM. Really Pouliot over Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kessler, Richards, Boyle, Perry etc etc.
6) Terrible player development,
7) Terrible player management,
8) Acting out of desperation to obtain free-agents. If we signed Thomas Vanek, KLowe would have guaranteed this franchise's devestation for 10++ years. Really 4 first round picks, and we would of had no future. It was only LUCK that Buffalo signed him.
9) Overpayment of contract upon contract. Just stupid money mismanagement. Horcoff, Moreau, Pisani, Staois, Greb's etc. etc.
10) Michael Nylander, hahahahahahahahahahah
11) Trading Pronger for nothing!

And those are just some of the brilliant moves of KLowe the "very smart hockey mind". Are you really serious that you actually believe that .... any other organization in this league would of seen him fired a long time ago!
Sounds like you're from the Eastern-based media puppet.

Marc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
I will never look back and say that Kevin Lowe was a very smart hockey mind.The guy doesn't deserve to ever be given a compliment that he is very smart.A smart hockey mind doesn't go and give such ridiculous contracts to mediocre players.A real good smart hockey mind is Ken Holland or Lou Lamoriello,NOT Kevin lowe.
So there are only two good smart hockey minds in the NHL?

I like how people quickly forget the 06 cup run. The team he built was pretty darn good. The first Pronger trade was good too.

He's made some bad moves, but every GM has. Even Lou and Holland.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 02:56 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
No but you are essentially giving him a free pass by suggesting that Tambellini's moves or lack of moves or what have you were driven by what Lowe was demanding.

You use the trade deadline as a cut off because I assume that you fall into the group that thinks he did a good job, but that is obviously speculation on my part.

What I am suggesting is that Tambellini's moves, lack of moves or what have you are just examples of what type of GM he is. And because of that, the continued slide of the last 20 months is on his shoulders, not Lowe's.

He has done less here in in almost 2 years at the wheel than any other GM I can think off when joining a new team. He has also done less here in almost two years than Lowe, for better or worse, would damn near do in one year.

Both aspects point to Tambellini's style or capablilities than is does to Lowe pulling strings or his "need to evaluate the situation".
I am not in the group that believes that Lowe has final say on trades. But I firmly believe that Lowe is responsible for setting the direction of the team (i.e. win-now mode v.s. rebuild). As such, Tambelliniís trade options were limited in the past. I donít think that is an unreasonable assumption. It would be the same as any GM that has constraints imposed upon him by ownership or his superiors such as internal budgets. If he is told that his objective is to build a winner now, his options are limited. Now, within these constraints, were all of Tambelliniís moves good ones? Definitely not. I assign responsibility for those trades to him.

Yes, I do like what Tambellini did at the deadline. It was a measured and rational approach with a clear objective Ė cutting deadweight, making cap space, removing some of the old guard. I hope we see move of the same moves at the draft and over the summer.

I use the trade deadline as a cut off, because IMO, that was the first clear indication to me that Lowe had thrown in the towel and given the word to completely reshape the team. Im reserving complete judgement on Tambellini until the beginning of the 2011-12 season because I think he should have at least a full year under this new rebuild direction to actually make moves.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
But I firmly believe that Lowe is responsible for setting the direction of the team (i.e. win-now mode v.s. rebuild). ...

It would be the same as any GM that has constraints imposed upon him by ownership or his superiors such as internal budgets. If he is told that his objective is to build a winner now, his options are limited.
That's fair, obviously any new hire is brought in to accomplish a specific mandate. I have no doubt that the Oilers felt that they were in a position to be built upon instead of rebuilt.

Here is the rub though, Tambellini took the job and agreed to working towards that mandate. No one twisted his arm and I doubt anyone told him what he could or couldn't do to get there. They were terms he agreed to and failed miserably at.

The team went from a borderline playoff contender to a 30th placed club in the two years he was at the controls. His plan of action was non-existent and at this point there is nothing to suggest anything has changed in the last couple months.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:06 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
I am not in the group that believes that Lowe has final say on trades. But I firmly believe that Lowe is responsible for setting the direction of the team (i.e. win-now mode v.s. rebuild). As such, Tambelliniís trade options were limited in the past. I donít think that is an unreasonable assumption. It would be the same as any GM that has constraints imposed upon him by ownership or his superiors such as internal budgets. If he is told that his objective is to build a winner now, his options are limited. Now, within these constraints, were all of Tambelliniís moves good ones? Definitely not. I assign responsibility for those trades to him.

Yes, I do like what Tambellini did at the deadline. It was a measured and rational approach with a clear objective Ė cutting deadweight, making cap space, removing some of the old guard. I hope we see move of the same moves at the draft and over the summer.

I use the trade deadline as a cut off, because IMO, that was the first clear indication to me that Lowe had thrown in the towel and given the word to completely reshape the team. Im reserving complete judgement on Tambellini until the beginning of the 2011-12 season because I think he should have at least a full year under this new rebuild direction to actually make moves.
Thank you for thinking so rationally. Some people think Tambellini's done next to nothing since becoming GM. He's done a lot; and his best work started with getting Grebs and Lubo out of here. He has a direction he wants to take this team. When I went to the meeting, that was the FIRST time I've been presented a plan. When did Lowe ever give a plan that had actual substance and not vague promises?

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:06 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
That's fair, obviously any new hire is brought in to accomplish a specific mandate. I have no doubt that the Oilers felt that they were in a position to be built upon instead of rebuilt.

Here is the rub though, Tambellini took the job and agreed to working towards that mandate. No one twisted his arm and I doubt anyone told him what he could or couldn't do to get there. They were terms he agreed to and failed miserably at.

The team went from a borderline playoff contender to a 30th placed club in the two years he was at the controls. His plan of action was non-existent and at this point there is nothing to suggest anything has changed in the last couple months.
And that's the best thing that's happened to the club in years. Even MacT thinks so.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:07 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
So there are only two good smart hockey minds in the NHL?

I like how people quickly forget the 06 cup run. The team he built was pretty darn good. The first Pronger trade was good too.

He's made some bad moves, but every GM has. Even Lou and Holland.
I like how people who like to hold up the 2006 Cup run as some monumental achievement of Kevin Lowe forget about all the years of missed playoffs or first round exists that the team had under his management. The 2006 team was mediocre until the trade deadline additions. Those deals were astute, but at the end of the day, the team still caught lightning in a bottle with that run.

All GMs do make bad moves, yes. Lowe made too many of them and wasnt able to fix them. His trading record is above average IMO. Its his contract management that was brutal, and in a cap world you're only as good as your how you can manage your dollars.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
And that's the best thing that's happened to the club in years. Even MacT thinks so.
Yeah and that's fine. I agree that there is potential there as well.

But unless you are suggesting that it was part of his plan all along, it really has nothing to do with the point at hand.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
Sounds like you're from the Eastern-based media puppet.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:14 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
Thank you for thinking so rationally. Some people think Tambellini's done next to nothing since becoming GM. He's done a lot; and his best work started with getting Grebs and Lubo out of here. He has a direction he wants to take this team. When I went to the meeting, that was the FIRST time I've been presented a plan. When did Lowe ever give a plan that had actual substance and not vague promises?
"Expect the unexpected!"

Im not sure what business school teachs the old over-promise and under-deliver motto.

Its completely possible that the Tambo-detractors have him pegged right - that he isnt great GM material. I hope they are wrong.

Here is a question though. If Tambo fails and they look to remove him, does Lowe go too? What role did Lowe have in Tambellini's selection?

Old
03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
If Tambo fails and they look to remove him, does Lowe go too? What role did Lowe have in Tambellini's selection?
It certainly has to be considered, for all the finger pointing at Lowe about moves or contracts, ultimately his biggest blunder was in who he chose as a replacement.

It's a decision that is way more impacting over a much longer period than any hockey move he was in on.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:21 PM
nvan97

Quote:

Very smart hockey minds dont make the mistakes he has made. I can understand a 'smart hockey mind' making one or two serious mistakes over a career, but not the endless list that this clown has made. Sorry you are wrong, just admit it and move on.

3) Comrie for Perry, MacDonald and a 1st -> and his emotions / need for revenge make this one of the worst non-trades in Oiler history,
4) Revenge against Comrie means for years players will avoid the Oilers as it is clear how Oiler management will treat them,
5) Terrible drafting for most of Lowe's Tenure as GM. Really Pouliot over Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kessler, Richards, Boyle, Perry etc etc.
8) Acting out of desperation to obtain free-agents. If we signed Thomas Vanek, KLowe would have guaranteed this franchise's devestation for 10++ years. Really 4 first round picks, and we would of had no future. It was only LUCK that Buffalo signed him.
9) Overpayment of contract upon contract. Just stupid money mismanagement. Horcoff, Moreau, Pisani, Staois, Greb's etc. etc.

And those are just some of the brilliant moves of KLowe the "very smart hockey mind". Are you really serious that you actually believe that .... any other organization in this league would of seen him fired a long time ago!
1. How is it the GMs fault that they had terrible management of the farm system? You think that they weren't trying their damnedest to get something set up?

2. See 1. The goalie problems were directly related to not having a farm system set up. As far as FA goalies go I think is retrospect Roloson was a helluva good trade/signing.

3. There are literally thousands of non-trades that teams didn't quite make that would have changed things. You have no idea what kind of player Perry would have become if he was playing for the Oilers.

4. Have you ever heard of a single player that avoids Edmonton because of the Comrie situation? Or are you just making this up from hearsay?

5. This one bothers me the most. The Oilers drafting has been not just good but one of the best in the league in the last 10 years. The Oilers were never bad enough to finish low enough to guarantee a star player but they've done pretty good considering.

Hemsky is the 3rd highest scoring player out of his draft year and was followed immediately after (14-17 picks) by Kobasew, Knyasev, Umberger, and Coliacovo.

Niniimaaki in his year didn't end up being a player but the guys that followed (16-19) were Klepis, Boyd Gordon, Grebeshkov, Koreis. Again a couple of players a couple of never weres.

That same year they drafted JDD, Stoll and Greene in the 2nd round. 3 for 3 is exceptional.

MAP is an admittedly bad pick but considering every team in the league makes them sometimes. A 3rd round Stortini and 7th round Brodziak were pretty good picks that year though.

DD wasn't a stellar pick but the Oilers recognized a need for a goalie and took their shot. He hasn't worked out great but surely he was the best one available at that point.

Cogliano was followed by (26-29) Peleck, Finley, Niskanen, Downie. Chorney (who looks to be a full-time NHLer) was followed by 4 guys with total of 12 NHL games. Even Syvret was a decent pick considering the Oilers parlayed him into Potulny.

Petry (who looks to be a top pairing guy from most reports) was followed by Enroth, Matthias, and two guys I've never heard of. Peckham (full time NHLer) was followed by 4 non-NHLers.

Guys drafted after that have plenty of time to prove themselves but include the likes of Nash, Plante, Omark, Eberle, Motin, Hartikainen, Cornet, MPS, Hesketh, Rajala, and Roy.

The Oilers, based on their average drafting position (mid-1st round), have been one of, if not the best, drafting team in the league.

6. See 1.

7. What does player management mean? Contracts? Trades? You seem to have mentioned those later as well.

8. The Oilers would not be the same team they are now if they had a top level sniper playing on the first line. And Penner, if he continues to improve, looks to be a pretty good pick up for his price tag.

9. Grebs? What exactly was wrong with his contract? Horcoff's contract was the only one that really tied there hands financially. The others, although not great, are reasonable enough terms (cap hit, length) that they wouldn't be hard to move. Maybe overpayments but not terrible by any means.

10. The Oilers dodged a bullet with that one but there was still another team willing to pay him similar money. It's not like they were the only ones pursuing him.

11. The Pronger trade was actually pretty phenomenal in hindsight. The Oilers gave up almost nothing for him (Lynch, Brewer, Woywitka) and got pretty good value back for him (Smid, O'sullivan (via Lupul, Pitkanen, Cole trades), and Eberle) Other than the Hossa for Heatley trade name a single trade that went well for the team that was trading away the star? That's right you can't name one. You never get equal value you just hope it's close.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

The second contract with Grebs was actually Tambo and not Lowe. Didn't Grebs have a $1.5M contract when it expired.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Bouch1337

Quote:
New Jersey has 1 bad contract (Rolston).We have 7-8 bad contracts (Horcoff,O'Sullivan,Pisani,Nilsson,Moreau,Souray,G ilbert,Khabibulin.

Aswell 2 years isn't terrible,how many years do we have Horcoff for still 5 years.We're going to be paying him 5.5 at 36-37 YEARS OLD.
i think you mean hes going to eat up 5.5 mil CAP SPACE... not payment... everyone overlooks everything

Bouch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:30 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I think this is a good point..... Everything is about what have you done for me lately and rightly so because of the situation that this franchise is in currently but if one is to look at Lowe's ENTIRE tenure as GM, he was widely regarded as one of the best GM's pre-lockout when he had absolutely nothing to work with financially but was somehow able to put together fringe playoff contenders year after year, he made good trades time after time while being forced to make those trades because the organization couldn't afford to keep top talent.... Obviously, post-lockout besides 2006 has been pretty much a disaster for him, i think it's a situation in which he won the lottery in a sense, he all of a sudden had the go ahead to spend all this money after all these years of having the purse strings tightened and he didn't know what to do with it, he got desperate due mostly to Prongergate and then Smythgate and therefore had to save face by signing Horcoff, Staios, Moreau and Pisani (2006 heroes) to bloated contracts although at the time, most fans had absolutely no problem with these contracts except maybe the Pisani one. The big problem for me was that Lowe went big game hunting every year when he could have paid attention to the team's more pressing needs and his desperation clearly showed by giving out those offer sheets and by trying to sign Nylander to a deal that we all knew was a bad idea at the time.
As far as Tambo is concerned, he's clearly made some mistakes with false promises, the Kotalik trade, letting Glencross walk, the Khabibulin contract and the Heatley chasing but i believe that it takes more than a year or two for a GM to truly make his mark on the franchise especially after the previous one created a mess so i think that this draft and offseason is when we'll really see what he's made of and i'm liking the Staios and Whitney trades so far so he's slowly but surely getting this team out of the darkness. So basically to summarize my long rant, Lowe wasn't the worst GM in the world, he was good and bad so all in all he was mediocre and i think we should preach patience with Tambo, lets see what he can do this offseason before burning him at the stake.
Good post. THe thing about Lowe is he did such a good job of putting teams together while losing players. Then in 05/06 he grabs pronger and peca. Things he was never able to do. So he sort of got this lets go big game hunting at all costs. I mean it worked great in 05/06.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
However, I am also saying that Tambellini has done SFA to improve the situation and that lands on his shoulders, not Lowes.
Not SFA, he's made it worse. Tambellini committed to a total rebuild just over half a year after he signed Khabibulin to a contract that in most organizations would be a firing offense. At this point I have only hope for blind luck. Plus the Staios deal offers the tantalizing glimmer of hope that there are still GMs out there who are equally incompetent.

As for complaints that Tambellini's hands were tied, take a look at what was done in Phoenix while Tambellini was out hunting Dany F. Heatley.

The only scenario that absolves Tambellini is if Lowe was still completely calling the shots, Tambellini was howling in protest at them, and Katz finally stepped in to give Tambellini the reins.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

This is pretty well 100% right on the mark. Please for the love of god don't tell me people are actually defending Kevin Lowes reign of error?

- Brutalized the farm system with neglect....check
- Alienated so many players and their families that he helped created the 'Edmonton is siberia' attitude of nhl players....check.
- Dubious draft moves...check
- Horrendous management of the salary cap....check.
- Hanging onto a coach who proved he couldn't get results.....check.
- Zero long range plan, flip flopping on the type of players the team is after time and again.

Lowe = out and out disaster in so many ways.

As for the top touted picks, notice how our top prospects are always the guys we just drafted? One only has to look at the positively bleak minor league teams we have right now. The top 6 forwards are darn near all career minor leaguer jag signings.

Now, Lowe did a tremendous job the 1st year of the salary cap, his Pronger move was excellent, his mid season trades were excellent. He deserves credit for that but since that time he has ground the team into pulp.

As for Tambellini, his trade deadline moves look pretty good but he was really pretty terrible in his moves after last season until this deadline. He made a long passionate speech at the end of last year declaring that changes were going to be made and we were going to be oh so tough to play against. His big moves? Getting a Fa smurf and signing an injury plagued older inconsistent goaltender to a long term deal.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote