HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed- SOB "suspended" until sunday

Old
03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
JerkChicken

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
NHLscap.com has it as UFA.

Although http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-n...s-by-position/ doesn't have a mention of SOB as a UFA.

Edit: Seems like you all are right... RFA.
Also, I meant to say Bottom pairing, not bottom 6. I guess I was just so used to *****ing about our bottom 6 this year.
Ha, ya I fully understand about the bottom 6. No worries...

FYI, it lists SOB as an RFA here if anyone needs a reference: http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=VAN&season=0910

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
lush
@jasonlush

vCash: 500
Interesting turn of events. I can see why he was sent home showing up for practice late and then due to that losing his spot in the lineup, but because he will be away from the team for a whole road trip (albeit not a really long one) there was obviously more to it. The conditioning aspect sure fits.

I wonder how bad he slipped though, I know I've heard that the Canucks are likely in the top 3 best conditioned teams in the league, if not the outright best so if it's a situation where O'Brien wasn't up to par but was still fine by NHL standards that's one thing.

I'm by no means defending the guy, but I wonder just how bad it was.

This is a really good thing though, I love O'Brien but he just hasn't been able to make it work on this team (or more presumably with his coach) since he came here. It's like him and AV are just not on the same page with rolls, expectations and everything else.

I guess the writing was on the wall when O'Brien signed only a one year deal.

Oh well, here's hoping he can turn things around. He can still technically save his career, place on this team, play for a cup and earn a new contract if he does the right things starting today.

I for one also just want to mention that I think AV has done a better job of handing this situation than he has with other situations in the past. Am I the only one who feels this way or do you guys think he might have improved here as well?

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Dana Murzyn

This sucks. It's the last thing the team needs right now.

Mitchell, Samuelsson, Bernier, Demitra, and now O'Brien. That's an awful lot of elements coming in and out of the lineup at a time when the team should be gelling for the playoffs.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
El Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I cant elaborate because of board rules, but if you knew his off-ice antics, you wouldnt be so high on him.
I dunno man, I met him at a bar recently (not in Vancouver) and he was quite a gentleman.

Btw to diffuse the situation I asked him "Does Christian Ehrhoff speak decent English?" and he gave me the so-so hand motion. Scoop!

El Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:49 PM
trbr86

Looks like his habits are catching up with him... I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

03-30-2010, 03:59 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
well he did a 1hr bag skate today but thats about it with the coaches..the team will be flying to California so SOB wont have any contact with them. SOBs best friend for the week will be Roger Takahashi
SOB's gonna pull his groin!

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
rebel diamond

Am I the only one with no problems with his on-ice play? I obviously can't speak to his partying escapades and tardiness problems, but I don't think it's really shown in his play.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:08 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
Am I the only one with no problems with his on-ice play? I obviously can't speak to his partying escapades and tardiness problems, but I don't think it's really shown in his play.
Did the Canucks say his on ice performance was an issue? I thought it was just his unprofessionalism off the ice.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
He's been good lately, but doesn't seem to be able to handle extra minutes - his play deteriorated when they needed to give him more playing time with Bieksa and Mitchell both out, to the point that Rome passed him on the depth chart. So I can see there being conditioning issues with him.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
JuniorNelson

This team, right now, without O'Brien, is a first round exit in the play-offs. This must be a ploy by Vignault to light a fire under O'Brien. O'Brien responded well, last time he was in trouble. Puzzling why this guy doesn't grab the oppourtunity he has with Mitchell's absence.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
So I can see there being conditioning issues with him.

Jason Botchford on the team 1040 was saying that he was up to 250 pounds at some points this season, and that AV has had enough. Now he did say Shane stated he was about 227 but the reality is he obviously was not taking the coaching staffs or the teams mantra so to speak to heart.

I think this was a messge to the entire team and not just Shane, although he is the primary target... Do not get compalcent, which this team clearly has IMO.

I like the move. Create some urgency and drive in the entire team. I am suprised the absence of Demitra is not getting more play. I wonder if this is also playing on AV's intolerance of SOB?

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
He's been good lately, but doesn't seem to be able to handle extra minutes - his play deteriorated when they needed to give him more playing time with Bieksa and Mitchell both out, to the point that Rome passed him on the depth chart. So I can see there being conditioning issues with him.
his play deteriorated a little but i also feel he gets unfairly picked on...edler's development has deteriorated as well with the extra minutes but he often gets off without criticism from the coaching staff

then again he doesn't seem to have any of the supposed conditioning or commitment issues

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
This team, right now, without O'Brien, is a first round exit in the play-offs. This must be a ploy by Vignault to light a fire under O'Brien. O'Brien responded well, last time he was in trouble. Puzzling why this guy doesn't grab the oppourtunity he has with Mitchell's absence.
You are kidding right? I think you've incredibly overstated SOB's importance to this team. The guy is a bottom pairing defenseman most of the time (with potential for 2nd pairing), he's been reasonably solid but to think his absence would be the reason for a 1st round exit is laughable.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Gorge Canuck

Are the Canucks the only team that consistently has these personality issues dealt with in such a public way? It seems like the drama never ends, and the media gets a big seat at the table to perpetuate the problems. I wonder if there is some fragrant grease changing hands.

How does Mike Babcock or other organizations deal with this sort of thing, is it common? AV needs to channel his inner Brett Sutter imao, and yes I remember Crawford doing the same thing. /rant

Gorge Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
This team, right now, without O'Brien, is a first round exit in the play-offs.
I'm not sure I really agree with that, but I guess the proof will be in the pudding!

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Connecticut

Quote:
This team, right now, without O'Brien, is a first round exit in the play-offs.
This is a hysterical over-reaction. Are you implying that the difference between O'Brien and his replacement (probably Alberts) is going to make the difference between us winning or losing a seven game series? That's completely absurd. Sure, you want to ice the best line-up you can, but I'd peg O'Brien as probably our 12-15th most important player, at best. We'd be miles worse off if any of our top-6 were out, or Luongo without question. You could rattle off a few after that, plus half the defence (Ehrhoff, Edler, Mitchell*) as clear cut, with arguments to be made for Rome and Bieksa.

I've been a fan of O'Brien since he got here -- I like what he brings to the team in various ways -- but there aren't really that many players less important than he is in determining whether or not we win a first round series.

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Dado

vCash:
I don't know if SOB is quite THAT important.

But I do know I am terrified of what will happen if Alberts is out there against a quality playoff-intense opponent.

Not a fan, not at all.

Old
03-30-2010, 06:16 PM
HANSENISBEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I don't know if SOB is quite THAT important.

But I do know I am terrified of what will happen if Alberts is out there against a quality playoff-intense opponent.

Not a fan, not at all.
That's exactly what I was thinking. If Alberts continues to look absolutely horrid, we will be burned big time in the playoffs. I am probably of the "Bieksa hatin'" wagon, and man, was it ever a pleasure to see him back over Alberts.

It wouldn't surprise me if O'Brien was in poor shape, and was late on more than one occasion before (maybe even hungover?). I have seen him, Wellwood, and Glass at the Roxy on more than one occasion.

HANSENISBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
I seem to remember SOB taking a penalty in Game 6 last year against Chicago in the 3rd period. Was that not the series winning goal that Chicago scored on that late 3rd period PP? Sure, SOB's physical, but he doesn't always use his physicality in the right situations. Frankly, I was surprised that SOB wasn't gone last summer...

Hammer79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOfBernier View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if O'Brien was in poor shape, and was late on more than one occasion before (maybe even hungover?). I have seen him, Wellwood, and Glass at the Roxy on more than one occasion.
Sometimes I miss the days when players were *expected* to show up hungover.

Old
03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Poop, Alberts better pick up his game.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

What did SOB do to get suspended?.. is he suspended by the Canucks or the NHL?...

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
What did SOB do to get suspended?.. is he suspended by the Canucks or the NHL?...
Read the thread.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:28 PM
The Cowboy Poet

I don't like this.... but! I'll tell you why.
The Canucks don't need a distraction like this right now.
Also: not enough depth on the blue line... especially with Willie out.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Lol Sob, BUSTED

http://deadspin.com/5505787/shane-ob...duled-week-off

Really sob? You cant get a hotter chick? REALLY?

Last edited by Bgav: 03-30-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote