HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal sign Brendon Nash out of NCAA to a deal

Old
03-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Price/Halak
Desjardins

Scrivens

That's some young goaltending man
Just that, it's pretty obvious one of Halak or Price is gone real soon. I have confidence in Desjardins to be the backup, still it is unknown at this point. And then...who else? I personnally have no confidence in Missiaen who is our new Loic Lacasse. I like Simila a lot, was pissed to see him leave...will he ever come back? So yes, we could easily get our backup and AHL goalies through UFA and so on....but you also need to develop some of them. And the upcoming drafts should be used for that. So are signing UFA's young goalies like him. Mind you, I probably saw Scrivens only one, liked him, but that's not enough to have a judgment on him.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Habitants

big boy from BC with some skill. I like! nice move by Gauthier.
Helps us with Depth on D and always nice to get a player with size. look fprward to see what Boucher can do with him in Hamilton!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:01 PM
RichardFaulk

nice move nothing to lose.

RichardFaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:08 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just that, it's pretty obvious one of Halak or Price is gone real soon. I have confidence in Desjardins to be the backup, still it is unknown at this point. And then...who else? I personnally have no confidence in Missiaen who is our new Loic Lacasse. I like Simila a lot, was pissed to see him leave...will he ever come back? So yes, we could easily get our backup and AHL goalies through UFA and so on....but you also need to develop some of them. And the upcoming drafts should be used for that. So are signing UFA's young goalies like him. Mind you, I probably saw Scrivens only one, liked him, but that's not enough to have a judgment on him.
Yeah I highly doubt Missiaen goes anywhere fast : It's upsetting because that 6'8" frame looked to have some potential... He's just straight up not that good Simila seems to be doing well in Jr. SM-liiga. I don't like that he got homesick and hope he's not gone for good

The 2010 Draft is a tad weak in nets (besides Campbell)... Johan Gustafsson could be good this years Joacim Eriksson because you never know with these Swedish Goalie and there's always Calvin Pickard but that may cost us our 2nd to draft him. (Almost forgot m'boy Phillip Grubauer) But in general there aren't a lot of good goalie out there so perhaps yes, a Free Agent like Scrivens is the way to go.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Mike Testwuide: Signed by the Flyers
Hunter Bishop: Signed by us.
Erick Boisvert: From Sacred Heart, actually receive back to back invitations. Small, small and really small.
Brendon Nash: Just signed
Would you say we signed the better of the 4 so far? in hindsight ofcourse

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Would you say we signed the better of the 4 so far? in hindsight ofcourse
Don't know actually. At that time, I had a whole lot of fun with the Testwuide bros, wondering why the heck they'd be invited. Didn't fine anything particular about them at all....But then, J.P. is now a regular AHL player. Will never see NHL though. As far as Mike, who's 3 years younger than his bro, I will be really surprise if he ever makes it. I mean, even the worst of the 4th line player in the NHL have a whole lot of pure abilities. I don't see anything special in Mike Testwuide. But might become a fine AHL player along the way.

Thing is....I see the same for both guys we signed. Today, I'll say that there's no chance in seeing both in the NHL. Though I believe they could be serviceable AHL'ers.

I would not have signed Boisvert, so we definately didn't sign the worst of them. But then, he has the stats of lot of players that are signed right now so to me, stats means so much at this point especially for seniors.

Old
03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Wow.Well he's consistent there's no denying that. I like his size, and he could definately become an O'Byrne.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Yeah I highly doubt Missiaen goes anywhere fast : It's upsetting because that 6'8" frame looked to have some potential... He's just straight up not that good Simila seems to be doing well in Jr. SM-liiga. I don't like that he got homesick and hope he's not gone for good

The 2010 Draft is a tad weak in nets (besides Campbell)... Johan Gustafsson could be good this years Joacim Eriksson because you never know with these Swedish Goalie and there's always Calvin Pickard but that may cost us our 2nd to draft him. (Almost forgot m'boy Phillip Grubauer) But in general there aren't a lot of good goalie out there so perhaps yes, a Free Agent like Scrivens is the way to go.
I wanted so much for us to get Brad Thiessen last year. The guy was a rock every single time I've watched him. And guess what, can't say I particularly watched him this year, but statswise, .913 save% and GAA of 2.51, that can't be that bad. Scrivens has had some fine numbers though on a weaker league. Nice size to go with that, I mean somebody else that has seen him play should come and give their opinion on him, that would be fun.

Old
03-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFaulk View Post
nice move nothing to lose.
Actually.....a spot towards the 50-contract limit is something to lose. I hope we keep some spots for more interesting candidates. Anybody know where we at as far as the limit is concerned?

Old
03-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
I have the same thinking as I did when I first saw him at the development camp. Here's what I wrote back then...

So.....not a bad player. But a poor man's Pateryn doesn't exactly guarantee a spot in the NHL....And I believe that Pateryn has better agility than him. Pateryn is not exactly the most agile of d-man.....

So far as far as the NCAA signings, really nothing to be excited about as far as potential NHL players (not saying it won't happen just that RIGHT NOW, there ways to go...). I guess that's good.....we will ease out on the "Lahti and Johansson in our starting lineup" type of posts....
wow im glad to see u bring up jon gleed, i thought i was the only one who liked him, i was at pierrefonds a couple times and i always thought he looked solid

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

sounds like a future captain

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
wow im glad to see u bring up jon gleed, i thought i was the only one who liked him, i was at pierrefonds a couple times and i always thought he looked solid
I keep raving about him....shows you how much I can be wrong....

I mean, surely, he was never going to be an offensive guy. But he was always a rock defensively. Almost unbeatable 1 on 1, tough, big upper body, nice balance, surely, I might have overestimated the ceiling. Seems that what I was seeing during the practices would have never be anything more than that. But he was often outplaying the likes of O'Byrne and Côté during the development camps I went to (which are all of them...). Like Niklas Torp who was often outplaying Weber.

But I'm glad to see him be a regular AHL'er. Quite possible he never amounts to anything else. Though I was quite positive he would at one point.

Like my big crush on Oskari Korpikari....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 03-30-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Missiaen never had potential.

****in' hate that guy, but it really has nothing to do with him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Hank Scorpio

I like the signing but has anyone ever actually seen this guy play? What I want to know is how he uses his size. One of the scouting reports posted said he needs to move his feet a little better as well as his strength. It's nice that he has an offensive upside at the NCAA level but we have a lot of D with that, what I want to know is if he plays with an edge? We don't have too many players that make you pay for crossing our blue line, it would be nice to pick up a guy with a little aggression. Again, looks like a smart signing none the less.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I like the signing but has anyone ever actually seen this guy play? What I want to know is how he uses his size. One of the scouting reports posted said he needs to move his feet a little better as well as his strength. It's nice that he has an offensive upside at the NCAA level but we have a lot of D with that, what I want to know is if he plays with an edge? We don't have too many players that make you pay for crossing our blue line, it would be nice to pick up a guy with a little aggression. Again, looks like a smart signing none the less.
www.b2cabletv. com had the game where Cornell won their championship against Union about 10 days ago, but it's finished already. That game should be replayed in days to come. I'll post a note when it does. At least, to have an idea of how he plays.

Old
03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Wow.Well he's consistent there's no denying that. I like his size, and he could definately become an O'Byrne.
Except for the fact the reports say he can make passes and handle the puck.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:03 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Why? They'd be stupid not to see what he does once he leaves Minnesota.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but NHL teams are allowed a maximum number of signed players at any one time. meaning there is some risk to every signing, as it may mean you can't sign someone else. Hence Fischer may not be signed...

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:05 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
www.b2cabletv. com had the game where Cornell won their championship against Union about 10 days ago, but it's finished already. That game should be replayed in days to come. I'll post a note when it does. At least, to have an idea of how he plays.
We signed him more than a week after Hunter Bishop, according to you, the other NHL teams were sleeping or he is an average prospect?

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:11 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but NHL teams are allowed a maximum number of signed players at any one time. meaning there is some risk to every signing, as it may mean you can't sign someone else. Hence Fischer may not be signed...
from what I know you can have 50 signed players, and 80 total including unsigned prospects...I think.

Don't be surprised if we try and package Fischer+ for another 2nd, to bolster our prospect pool.

Old
03-30-2010, 09:13 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Except for the fact the reports say he can make passes and handle the puck.
Yea but can he snatch a purse and score an empty net goal

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Brendon Nash on Web right now!

Like I said on the Nash thread, but wanted for everybody to notice it, click on this link and you'll see a game between Cornell and Union that took place 10 days ago. Cornell won the ECAC championship that game. It's already in the 3rd period right now but if you keep listening to the link, chances are they'll replay the game right after until I don't know when.

Nash is #24, white jersey, d-man shoots left. There's another Nash in there, Riley, Oilers pick, wearing #14.

http://www.b2cabletv.com/index.asp?b...&channelsid=49

P.S. You can check that website for any other games that could be of some interest to you like some USHL games for the upcoming prospects or other leagues out there. There's obviously nothing live in there but still fun to see.

Old
03-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
We signed him more than a week after Hunter Bishop, according to you, the other NHL teams were sleeping or he is an average prospect?
Fine depth prospect for our farm team. Nobody was sleeping.

Old
03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

where do you go for the schedule ? i click on schedule below the video and i get nothing...

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
where do you go for the schedule ? i click on schedule below the video and i get nothing...
The schedule doesn't work. It used to but it didn't for a few weeks now. And then, at one point, when there's no more games like it's pretty much the end right now, there won't be any schedule and last year, I think it was the same game over and over again until it started.....Actually, I'm not sure we're not going to see that Cornell game till October....Probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised...

At least it will give a chance to EVERYBODY to see Nash....

Old
03-30-2010, 10:14 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Like I said on the Nash thread, but wanted for everybody to notice it, click on this link and you'll see a game between Cornell and Union that took place 10 days ago. Cornell won the ECAC championship that game. It's already in the 3rd period right now but if you keep listening to the link, chances are they'll replay the game right after until I don't know when.

Nash is #24, white jersey, d-man shoots left. There's another Nash in there, Riley, Oilers pick, wearing #14.

http://www.b2cabletv.com/index.asp?b...&channelsid=49

P.S. You can check that website for any other games that could be of some interest to you like some USHL games for the upcoming prospects or other leagues out there. There's obviously nothing live in there but still fun to see.
Your badass-ery ceases to amaze me.