NAHL team to displace IHL in Flint?

Old
03-30-2010, 09:15 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
NAHL team to displace IHL in Flint?

http://www.mlive.com/generals/index....ting_with.html

A fascinating and very informative article from Brendan Savage in the Flint Journal. (credit to OldJacks on ITB, who posted the thread I ganked this from)

It would be really telling if the IHL, this alleged "AA+" league, were able to be frozen out of an arena by the signing of a Tier II junior team to a lease. It's not a fait accompli yet, but keep an eye out in the next week and a half.

Rumors appear to have either NAHL Alpena or NAHL Marquette looking Flintwards for next season.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Rocko604

I think in the long term, a permanent move to Jr hockey would be the way to go. With Saginaw and Plymouth already in the OHL, I think having a team in Flint would be too much for that area, but considering Michigan and Michigan St. are nearby and with Muskegon getting a team next season, perhaps a USHL team could be the ultimate plan in the future.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
pelts35.com

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4003764

The Michigan Warriors will begin play in the 2010-11 NAHL season at the Perani Arena (home of the Generals).

Here is a press release from the IHL claiming that they are planning for Flint to remain in the league for the 10-11 season.

http://ism3.infinityprosports.com/is...article_id=876

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
sbkbghockey

Is the IHL dead yet now? it's like beating a spider with a rolled up newspaper and the damn things somehow keeps going!

This is a nice addition to the NAHL in-state rivals.

Looks like the team will have Columbus Blue Jackets-like colors, idk bout that in Wings Country. Would have been nice to maybe stick with Generals colors.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
SeaToby

I believe the IHL and CHL will merge... Four or more IHL franchises will become a division within the CHL...

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:34 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaToby View Post
I believe the IHL and CHL will merge... Four or more IHL franchises will become a division within the CHL...
Which four IHL teams?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
SeaToby

The merger isn't final yet, but news accounts suggests Quad Cities Mallards, Bloomington Prairie Thunder, Fort Wayne Komets, and Dayton Gems are the four teams which will merge.

I suspect and will guess the conference and divisions will be:
North
NE: QCM, BPT, FWK, DG
NW: CE, RCR, WT, IM, TO
South
SE: MRK, SBCM, LB, RGVKB
SW: AS, OJ, TB, AA

Being a Texan i would prefer this arrangement instead:
NE: QCM, BPT, FWK, DG
SE: MRK, SBCM, TO,, IM
SW: AA, TB, OJ, LB, RGVKB-an all Texas division
NW: AS, CE, RCR, WT

We'll probably know more during the Las Vegas IHL meetings within two weeks... While no one is anticipating an expansion this year, we may be surprised and the Flint Generals could merge as well...

Old
06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
adsfan

Thanks, SeaToby. I would expect that the IHL teams will be a division in the CHL. Go Gems!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
SeaToby

Unfortunately the Flint Journal is reporting tonight that the Flint Generals did NOT get the lease. The NAHL Michigan Warriors will be getting the lease. Another club bites the dust...
Hopefully this franchise will come back next year at another location. Appears the Kinneys have two dormant franchise alike Randy Sanders. Port Huron and Flint, the other Amarillo and Austin...

I still see potential expansion possibilities in Omaha, Des Moines, Chicago-Sears Center, Indianapolis, Saint Charles, Evansville, Little Rock, Beaumont... If Tucson and Albuquerque build new downtown arenas, I could see an expansion in those cities. Wish El Paso would do the same, but not a peak from El Paso...Maybe Global could build one of their small arenas in El Paso?

Both the CHL and IHL are having their crumbs swept up by the NAHL/USHL...

Last edited by SeaToby: 06-15-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old
06-17-2010, 06:50 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Unfortunately the Flint Journal is reporting tonight that the Flint Generals did NOT get the lease. The NAHL Michigan Warriors will be getting the lease. Another club bites the dust...
Hopefully this franchise will come back next year at another location. Appears the Kinneys have two dormant franchise alike Randy Sanders. Port Huron and Flint, the other Amarillo and Austin...

I still see potential expansion possibilities in Omaha, Des Moines, Chicago-Sears Center, Indianapolis, Saint Charles, Evansville, Little Rock, Beaumont... If Tucson and Albuquerque build new downtown arenas, I could see an expansion in those cities. Wish El Paso would do the same, but not a peak from El Paso...Maybe Global could build one of their small arenas in El Paso?

Both the CHL and IHL are having their crumbs swept up by the NAHL/USHL...

http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=1642

here it is 5 yr deal Mich Warriors will become the anchor tennant.

As far as your possible expansion plans: Omaha, Des Moines, and Indy already have USHL teams, and Omaha has UNO- they aren't good candidates. Evansville has plans to build a suitable arena but I haven't heard anything lately. St. Charles is questionable at best the Blues are drawling well again and after the River Otters left NAHL moved in about 10-15 mins away in Chesterfield. Little Rock and Beaumont would be nice additions to the CIHL :-P

Old
06-18-2010, 04:08 AM
SeaToby

The Allen Americans of the CHL are about seven miles from Frisco's Texas Tornado NAHL club. Both clubs are operating in Dallas' northern suburbs. I don't see much difference. A strong ownership group with deep pockets could make Saint Charles work.

I only bring it up as many CHL-IHL team buses will be driving by nearby heading east or west. Saint Charles appears on the map to be an idea location for a AA club...

However I am no expert about the Saint Louis area. Maybe Omaha isn't a good location due to closeness to University of Nebraska, but Des Moines seems another prime location. While the AHL may have failed in both ciites, the Quad City Mallards appears to have drawn well enough for a IHL club... I think the same can happen in Des Moines. But again, I am no expert about the Des Moines area either.

I don't consider the USHL or NAHL clubs as professional leagues. I would think AA hockey is better than O hockey...

Old
06-18-2010, 01:47 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
The Allen Americans of the CHL are about seven miles from Frisco's Texas Tornado NAHL club. Both clubs are operating in Dallas' northern suburbs. I don't see much difference. A strong ownership group with deep pockets could make Saint Charles work.

I only bring it up as many CHL-IHL team buses will be driving by nearby heading east or west. Saint Charles appears on the map to be an idea location for a AA club...

However I am no expert about the Saint Louis area. Maybe Omaha isn't a good location due to closeness to University of Nebraska, but Des Moines seems another prime location. While the AHL may have failed in both ciites, the Quad City Mallards appears to have drawn well enough for a IHL club... I think the same can happen in Des Moines. But again, I am no expert about the Des Moines area either.

I don't consider the USHL or NAHL clubs as professional leagues. I would think AA hockey is better than O hockey...
Dallas is a much larger metro area than St. Louis, the combined Dallas-Fort Worth area can support the Stars as well as minor league pro hockey and Jr. Hockey. It helps that the Allen Americans are the CHL Affiliate of the Stars. Outside of Fort Wayne the quality of the IHL isn't quite as good as the CHL (that may change with a merger we'll see.

Des Moines has the same problem as Omaha, a well established USHL franchise. While Jr. A isn't professional as in the players don't get paid the franchises provide pro-like situations from the training down to game presentation. USHL franchises and NAHL franchises market themselves and fill the role of low level minor leagues in the communities. Quad Cities would have done well if the AHL team would have kept the Mallards identity but the Flames failed and Mallards returned.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
sbkbghockey

It's Official

http://www.journalgazette.net/articl.../1210/SPORTS06

It's official- I think hockey fans saw the writing on the wall, esp when the new Michigan Warriors of the NAHL got a long term lease as the anchor tenant earlier this week. Flint folds, the second IHL team to fold this week with Port Huron going down the other day.

Old
06-20-2010, 09:36 AM
SeaToby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
Dallas is a much larger metro area than St. Louis, the combined Dallas-Fort Worth area can support the Stars as well as minor league pro hockey and Jr. Hockey. It helps that the Allen Americans are the CHL Affiliate of the Stars. Outside of Fort Wayne the quality of the IHL isn't quite as good as the CHL (that may change with a merger we'll see.

Des Moines has the same problem as Omaha, a well established USHL franchise. While Jr. A isn't professional as in the players don't get paid the franchises provide pro-like situations from the training down to game presentation. USHL franchises and NAHL franchises market themselves and fill the role of low level minor leagues in the communities. Quad Cities would have done well if the AHL team would have kept the Mallards identity but the Flames failed and Mallards returned.
Team names usually are changed when different leagues set up shop to avoid trademark issues. We are seeing this quite a bit with professional indoor football leagues. While for the casual fan its a bit confusing who would just as much root for the same team name, none of the owners want to shell out any funds using a former team name...

While its sort of important for a new club to brand itself, the fans will support any team name... While we comment on the few different hockey minor leagues, indoor arena football has as many if not more...