HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Buccigross made a superb comment!

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2004, 09:38 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1521
Buccigross made a superb comment!

Some time after the Flyers-Leafs Game 6, John Buccigross started his NHL2Nite show by saying something to this effect "To all those who criticize the great game of hockey, first I want to say 'Shut up!' but I also want to show them that entire overtime and whta this game is about."

I thought that was well-said.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:41 AM
iagreewithidiots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
"To all those who criticize the great game of hockey, first I want to say 'Shut up!'
I agree as long as he says the game of hockey. I do think people have every right to critize the NHL.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:46 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

I agree but I think he meant the people who only write about hockey when something goes bad or the people who think the sport is played by a bunch of cavemen.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Douggy

Quote:
Some time after the Flyers-Leafs Game 6, John Buccigross started his NHL2Nite show by saying something to this effect "To all those who criticize the great game of hockey, first I want to say 'Shut up!' but I also want to show them that entire overtime and whta this game is about."

I like the guy, but atleast three times a year his internet column has his list of ways to 'improve' the game.

Old
05-06-2004, 11:14 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

Yeah, but it's also this kind of arrogance that does nothing to help PROMOTE the game.

Old
05-06-2004, 02:42 PM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
How many of the overtimes this year have come from 1-1 or 0-0 games? That's not exactly the most exciting hockey to watch. Sure, Overtime is always great but it would be nice to watch an exciting game while it's still in regulation. The league needs more scoring in my opinion and we don't have to come up with crazy ideas to fix the problem.

Hockey in general is the greatest sport in the world...the NHL on the other hand needs some work. I'm not saying this because I don't appreciate it I'm saying it because I love it and want to see grow.

Old
05-06-2004, 02:52 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
The only games that i've watched this year that weren't fun hockey were the blow-outs.

Toronto just stunk in that one and Montreal in the other.

The 1-1 or 0-0 games have had plenty of chances...scoring is not going to make the game more fun....it's all about chances...and nice moves and nice hits.

This has been some fun playoff hockey.

Old
05-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Yeah, but it's also this kind of arrogance that does nothing to help PROMOTE the game.
Arrogance perhaps. But it is preferable to the ignorance of those who want to re-invent the game and the NHL. (Note: Not directed at you, Blitzkrieg)

Old
05-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Hellsempire

Quote:

When I heard him say that as well I just said to myself he is damn right! The NHL Playoffs are very exciting and has always been. It sure beats out baseball and basketball...

Old
05-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:

The problem is that every sport has their classic games. It's the quality of the games in between those great ones that is going to shape the overall impression of the sport, for better or worse. The fact that Toronto-Philadelphia played an outstanding game of hockey means little to criticism that the average regular season game is boring (note: I am not saying I agree with that opinion, just that Bucci's argument does little to deflate it).

Old
05-06-2004, 07:05 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
The problem is that every sport has their classic games. It's the quality of the games in between those great ones that is going to shape the overall impression of the sport, for better or worse. The fact that Toronto-Philadelphia played an outstanding game of hockey means little to criticism that the average regular season game is boring (note: I am not saying I agree with that opinion, just that Bucci's argument does little to deflate it).
How many NBA first round games this year would be even called decent, much less classic? The first round of the NHL playoffs had classics between Mon/Bos, Tor/Ott, Cal/Van and Det/Nash. Some had more than 1.

Bet you a $20 that the NBA 2nd round...and 3rd...sucks as well.

Old
05-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Gert B Frobe

I just hope the fact that hockey is a niche sport in the US doesn't kill the NHL. The idea of making hockey palatable for the every-day fan is just not going to work. Teams in stupid places, glowing pucks, instigator rule- this just hurts a great sport. The reason the game has suffered is simple- too many teams. If you eliminated 4 teams and spread their talent around the league- it would be fixed. Now make me comissioner!!! I need $1,500,000 a year and access to every game. I'll shave once a week and wear jeans or shorts at all times.

Oh yeah, and Koharsky will never call a Flyer game again.

Old
05-06-2004, 09:30 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitinPitt
How many of the overtimes this year have come from 1-1 or 0-0 games? That's not exactly the most exciting hockey to watch. Sure, Overtime is always great but it would be nice to watch an exciting game while it's still in regulation. The league needs more scoring in my opinion and we don't have to come up with crazy ideas to fix the problem.
Bull! It's a heck of lot more exciting than a 7-2 game. Would you agree? The only thing I had to look forward to in Game 5 of the Leafs-Flyers series was a Domi-Brasheer fight, and Domi was got a game misconduct penalty.

That is often what happens when scoring is increased. You usually don't get 6-5 scores; you get 6-3 games that are over by the middle of the second period.

Old
05-06-2004, 09:33 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
I like the guy, but atleast three times a year his internet column has his list of ways to 'improve' the game.
This is true, but I'd rather see articles on how to improve the game than people just whining about it or suggesting contraction.

Old
05-06-2004, 09:52 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
I just hope the fact that hockey is a niche sport in the US doesn't kill the NHL. The idea of making hockey palatable for the every-day fan is just not going to work. Teams in stupid places, glowing pucks, instigator rule- this just hurts a great sport. The reason the game has suffered is simple- too many teams. If you eliminated 4 teams and spread their talent around the league- it would be fixed. Now make me comissioner!!! I need $1,500,000 a year and access to every game. I'll shave once a week and wear jeans or shorts at all times.
You are so wrong. There has never been more talent in the NHL than their is now. It's the great talent that affects scoring. No longer do you have Wayne Gretzky skating down the ice past Barry Melrose. Now a guy comes down the ice and Zdeno Chara is there. The NHL is world wide game now. Over 46% of the players come for places other than Canada. Fifteen years ago, the Soviet Union didn't let their players come to North America, neither did Czechoslovakia. Twenty-five years ago, there weren't too many Western European or even that many U.S. players in the NHL.

In fact, one has to go all the way back to the 1974-75 season for the last team that won the Stanley Cup comprised entirely of Canadians.
Quote:
Now make me comissioner!!! I need $1,500,000 a year and access to every game. I'll shave once a week and wear jeans or shorts at all times.
Isn't that the same philosophy of all the dot-com's that went under in 2000?
Quote:
Oh yeah, and Koharsky will never call a Flyer game again.
Make him head of Donut concessions.

Old
05-06-2004, 11:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Playoffs should elevate a sport, any sport; the intensity, the drama, the tiny margin of error. I think true sports fans are doing themselves a disservice not to witness the brilliance of playoff hockey. Baseball's 2003 post-season was impressive especially the underlying theme of the Red Sox and Cubs possibly meeting in the World Series and then failing yet again via a script that no one from Hemingway to a Hollywood producer could imagine, so I am not saying that hockey alone has these qualities.

But hockey deserves better than a Mike Danton front page article in the USA Today (yesterday) or a constant analysis of the Todd Bertuzzi incident by some self-centered bumbleheads in the mainstream media. Hockey will always have a hindrance in the states that football and basketball, for the most part, do not and that is the popularity of those sports' college appeal. Immediately, fans know the newcomers to their teams in those sports, while it takes time to develop in hockey.

I think what Buccigross was trying to relay to the non-hockey media out there who criticize or, maybe worse, ignore and avoid the sport is "How 'bout some good press?" I heard one very well nationally known baseball expert a few months ago say about hockey "You can't give tickets away. Since they took fighting out no one wants to go to the games anymore." I beg to differ.

Old
05-07-2004, 02:38 PM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Sure, scoring chances not necessarily scoring equals an exciting game and yes there have been plenty of those this year (Calgary/Detroit game 6) however I also see a lot of those scoring chances thrown down the drain when the player is dragged down or his stick is held. You would think they would score more with all the chances but alas they don't because most of they time they are hooked or slashed without a call.

Don't get me wrong, this season has been incredible but I think that comment was a little stupid and out of line. I respect his passion for the NHL though.

Closed Thread