HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings v. Nashville: Sanity Returns Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

Coors Light!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:42 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Exactly!!

Just wondering. Have some of you come in off the ledge this morning?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:57 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
That's not the way you develop young players. I know we've all been a little nuts around here lately, but "riding" Bernier because he played 120 minutes of solid hockey is something the old regime of Kings' management would have jumped on, and ten years from now Bernier's name would be a punchline on this forum.
So if we keep playing Bernier then failure is what's in Storr for him?

Last edited by T2M: 03-31-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Fixing a typo
T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
This is Jonathan Quick's team. Jonathan Quick put them in a playoff position by breaking the record for Kings GT wins, and working his ass off all year.

I see no reason to send Bernier down right now. Keep him as a backup. Let him get a couple more starts to rest Quick for the upcoming playoffs. Give him that taste of the NHL that can do him so much good.

But in the end, the 2009-10 LA Kings are Jonathan Quick's Kings. The 2010-11 Kings will probably be Jonathan Bernier's. In the end it will be up to him....and Quick.

I don't see any controversy.
Well said and I totally agree. Quick is the #1 and will be until he either gets hurt or Bernier out seats him next year. Training camp will be a battle. We all know it will be Quick and Bernier next year. To be honest, I think next year will be a 1A, 1B situation. They will push each other until one comes out on top. It's great for Bernier to get a few starts and for Quick to start, but this IS Quick's team. He's our #1 right now and will be regardless of what Bernier does in the NHL THIS year.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:06 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Well said and I totally agree. Quick is the #1 and will be until he either gets hurt or Bernier out seats him next year. Training camp will be a battle. We all know it will be Quick and Bernier next year. To be honest, I think next year will be a 1A, 1B situation. They will push each other until one comes out on top. It's great for Bernier to get a few starts and for Quick to start, but this IS Quick's team. He's our #1 right now and will be regardless of what Bernier does in the NHL THIS year.
I think the sentimentality attributed to GM's and coaches is a bit off.

Quick is the #1 and he is the sentimental pick. Make no bones about it though, DL and TM are going to play the guy who gives the Kings the BEST chance to win regardless of how many games Quick has played.

Remember Varlamov over Huet in the playoffs?

These GM's and coaches only care about winning games....they don't worry about hurting Quick's feelings.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:13 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Just wanted to point out the Bernier is the #1 star today! Congrats Bernie!

Old
03-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Just wanted to point out the Bernier is the #1 star today! Congrats Bernie!

Awesome for him.

I may be a bit to negative, but scoring only 1 goal in the first 50 minutes of the game isn't to reassuring that the offense is back on track.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:28 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Awesome for him.

I may be a bit to negative, but scoring only 1 goal in the first 50 minutes of the game isn't to reassuring that the offense is back on track.
I'd give credit to Rinne and the preds.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
onlyalad

Somewhere in this story TM says Bernier will still be in LA on Thursday.
Will he get the start?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009021140

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
I think the one thing that will stick with me from tonight's game. Odie's goal, who knew he'd pick a corner.
For me it was Bernier coming out and makng a point blank save on Webber, then a minute later Parse scores. That was the game right there. Webber scores we lose. That may have been the biggest save of the year.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that Bernier is the #1 goalie right now
Actually, several people are saying exactly that.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I'd give credit to Rinne and the preds.
Rinne was terrific in goal last night. The Kings could easily have had three goals in the first period and maybe more. Rinne kept his team in the game.

The pucks had eyes on both goals. Give credit where credit is due...the Kings offense was back, at least for one night. We'll see what happens on Thursday...Luongo has not been playing his best 'tending since the break.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:19 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
We have a winner, post of the day award!

As said before, there's plenty of people waiting for you at Ducks board, they really want you to share your hockey wisdom with them.

Bernier sure has a greater upside, but without Quick in net, we wouldn't be here thinking about the playoffs. He is not in top shape now, it's easy to see, but he's been great this season. Name the last Kings goaltender who nothed 39 wins in a season.
I want to hear the name.

Bernier is going to be awesome, but he's unproven at this level.
He played 6 friggin' NHL games.

Quick has carried this team, has been selected to play in the Olympics, has established himself as an NHL starter and some hockey genius at this board has nothing better to do than spit on him. And you are Kings fans?

Go get a life, losers.
So I guess every up and coming tender can't play in the league because they are "unproven" at this level. Give Bernier the #1 and he's gonna prove himself.

Its not that I'm a Ducks fan, guy.. I just want to see the team win and Bernier gives us the best shot to do that.

Buuuut.. Quick broke franchise records!? (sorry 24frolov, had to)

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:20 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Awesome for him.

No, I totally agree. We need our top lines to start scoring. Parse and our D can't score every goal. When Scott Parse has 3 out of the 4 goals in the last two games, and OD has the other...the offense is not back on track. We had 29 shots on goal..the Preds had 34, I believe.

Old
03-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post

Quick is the #1 and he is the sentimental pick. Make no bones about it though, DL and TM are going to play the guy who gives the Kings the BEST chance to win regardless of how many games Quick has played.

Remember Varlamov over Huet in the playoffs?
Yeah I do. And this year Varlamov has only started 20 games and he's "only" at 2.59 GAA and .908 SV%.

Not incredible numbers by any means (just like Quick's numbers) - especially considering how well he played in the playoffs. I'm sure he (& Caps fans) were expecting him to totally take control this year. And he's lost the starting job to Theodore...

Bernier is the future #1 no doubt. But to overwork him the rest of the season and in the playoffs would be a HUGE mistake.

Quick did the heavy lifting to get this far (even counting OT & SO wins), so he should be the #1 - for now.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Varlamov has been injured for a big chunk of the season. His 20GP is attributed to that...not because Theo is playing any better.

I'm just trying to say that nobody should be surprised if Bernier is turned to down the stretch. TM and DL's job is to win games...not make sure our goalies don't get their feelings hurt.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:01 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Actually, several people are saying exactly that.
Those people would be wrong. Like the world is flat wrong.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:25 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Good read from Hammond:

The year-long scoring “race” between Sean O’Donnell and Matt Greene appears to have reached its conclusion. With his goal last night, O’Donnell now leads Greene in goals (3 to 2) and points (14 to 8). After last night’s game, Greene and O’Donnell had a good-natured, tongue-in-cheek exchange about

GREENE: “He’s pulling ahead. He’s just an unbelievable player. It’s tough to catch a player with that much offensive skill. He’s just `on’ every night. It’s an uphill battle for guys like me.”

O’DONNELL: “I’m waiting for the concession. I’m waiting for the phone call. Team O’Donnell is waiting for the phone call from Team Greene for the official concession. He’s holding on, maybe for a recount or something. I don’t know what it is. Chad problems.”

That Greene, he's one funny guy!

Old
03-31-2010, 02:32 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Good read from Hammond:

The year-long scoring “race” between Sean O’Donnell and Matt Greene appears to have reached its conclusion. With his goal last night, O’Donnell now leads Greene in goals (3 to 2) and points (14 to 8). After last night’s game, Greene and O’Donnell had a good-natured, tongue-in-cheek exchange about

GREENE: “He’s pulling ahead. He’s just an unbelievable player. It’s tough to catch a player with that much offensive skill. He’s just `on’ every night. It’s an uphill battle for guys like me.”

O’DONNELL: “I’m waiting for the concession. I’m waiting for the phone call. Team O’Donnell is waiting for the phone call from Team Greene for the official concession. He’s holding on, maybe for a recount or something. I don’t know what it is. Chad problems.”

That Greene, he's one funny guy!
LOL. And no one looked happier last night when O'Donnell picked that corner than Matt Greene.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:38 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
LOL. And no one looked happier last night when O'Donnell picked that corner than Matt Greene.
I know, that's the first thing that came to my mind. They must be a lot of fun in the locker rooms.

Old
03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Read this from the playoff blog on NHL.com,
"Team officials say it's too early to make a definitive statement but it looks like goalie Jonathan Bernier, 2-0-0 in two starts this year, may stay with the Los Angeles Kings through the end of the regular season. And the Kings' first-round pick (No. 11) in the 2006 Entry Draft is eligible for the Stanley Cup Playoffs."

Guess well see what happens after practice today.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:24 PM
weems

Good win last night.

Looks like O' Donnell made me eat my words about him for at least one night.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
And I can't wait to come back to this post after we lose in 5 games to whoever we play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I just want to see the team win and Bernier gives us the best shot to do that.
well, which is it? do you want them win or lose?

Whatever the outcome maybe, whether JB or JQ, it is quite nice to have this kind of problem. We should be glad that it's not "Do we go with Clutz or Barbs?"

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:34 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Good win last night.

Looks like O' Donnell made me eat my words about him for at least one night.
lol.. Weems, maybe you should start talking crap about other King's players as well, who knows, they might come out and start scoring.

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
onlyalad

Is this a sign?
Quote:
Monarchs Sign Back up GoaltenderWednesday, 03.31.2010 / 12:58 PM / Prospects By Kim Mueller MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Monarchs, the primary affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings, have signed goaltender Matt Lopes to a professional tryout agreement, Monarchs Director of Hockey Operations Hubie McDonough announced today.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote