HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Halpern

Old
03-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Jeff Halpern

Man, is this guy a bust or what?

First point in 27 days? You have got to be kidding me. I was wondering when he was going to stat...

He absolutely killed the Kings momentum all by his lonesome tonight in the first period, Kings had Preds outshot 6-0 when he took that idiotic penalty, next thing you know, Preds are even with the Kings 6-6.

He has got to come to the table, and soon. Does anyone here think this guy will make a difference in playoff time? Is he just not getting used to the system here? He had 27 points when he came to this team, admittedly not stellar, but not as bad as he has been in the last month.

Quite bluntly, he has stunk it up. I don't see any comfort level on his part at all in a Kings uniform. I am quite disappointed. On paper, it looked like a good pickup. But paper rarely plays center in the NHL.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:55 AM
riseandfall9

I have never been to crazy about him. Even when some Kings wanted him when he was a UFA with Washinton....But I will say this. I do belive that he will be of some use in the playoffs and I think hes going to start doing some good things as soon as he figures out his role and has a bit longer to get use to the team and surroundings. Same as Modin. I belive that both of them will have some benefit in the near future.

I will hold off my judgement until after the playoffs I think.

I dont think Halpern is doing it all by himself. I think the whole team has been out of sync even before Halpern and Modin got here. I think about 2 weeks before the Olympic break this team has been garbage. They were still garbage tonight but it was less stinky.

The whole team needs to find there offensive stride. We cant rely on Parse and OD for our offense. And in some way I am happy that this flaw has been shown in the Kings game gives DL more incentive to go out and get Kovy this summer to help our animic offense.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:12 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I have never been to crazy about him. Even when some Kings wanted him when he was a UFA with Washinton....But I will say this. I do belive that he will be of some use in the playoffs and I think hes going to start doing some good things as soon as he figures out his role and has a bit longer to get use to the team and surroundings. Same as Modin. I belive that both of them will have some benefit in the near future.

I will hold off my judgement until after the playoffs I think.

I dont think Halpern is doing it all by himself. I think the whole team has been out of sync even before Halpern and Modin got here. I think about 2 weeks before the Olympic break this team has been garbage. They were still garbage tonight but it was less stinky.

The whole team needs to find there offensive stride. We cant rely on Parse and OD for our offense. And in some way I am happy that this flaw has been shown in the Kings game gives DL more incentive to go out and get Kovy this summer to help our animic offense.
You make some great points here...but I will disagree with one thing. More on that below.

First, I agree, we have to get Kovy...MUST GET KOVY! He wants to come to Los Angeles anyway, so that's half the battle. Anything to take some of the offensive pressure off of Kopi...

Kovy and Kopi LOL...K's are wild in Los Angeles.

True, we can't relay on Parse and OD for offense, but it sure was nice to get it tonight when we needed it.

I wouldn't say garbage tonite at all, they really got after it in the first period, great speed and dominated play. Sure they fell off in the second a little but that was to be expected.

The only thing I didn't like about tonight's game is far too many giveaways in the defensive zone.

Old
03-31-2010, 02:53 AM
redcard

He's fine. We didn't acquire him because we needed offense, we did it so that if a guy like Stoll gets hurt we have a 4th centerman and don't have to (but still have the option to) play a rookie like Moller or Cliche. Halpern and Richardson give us two players who can play both center or wing if somebody goes down, that flexibility is something we lacked with Purcell. Additionally, he won't be caught up in the emotional whirl that a rookie like Moller or Cliche would be subject to in their first playoff series.

It was primarily a depth move. The scoring, PK time, and veteran things are just bonus's that we may or may not see. Its not like Teddy or Harrold would likely have more than 1 assist since the trade deadline if we hadn't made the move. Maybe Moller would, but if Dean wanted him to be up with the kings, he would be.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:59 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
You make some great points here...but I will disagree with one thing. More on that below.

First, I agree, we have to get Kovy...MUST GET KOVY! He wants to come to Los Angeles anyway, so that's half the battle. Anything to take some of the offensive pressure off of Kopi...

Kovy and Kopi LOL...K's are wild in Los Angeles.

True, we can't relay on Parse and OD for offense, but it sure was nice to get it tonight when we needed it.

I wouldn't say garbage tonite at all, they really got after it in the first period, great speed and dominated play. Sure they fell off in the second a little but that was to be expected.

The only thing I didn't like about tonight's game is far too many giveaways in the defensive zone.
Well...I was talking about the overall game. We played amazing in the first 9 mins of the first period, then tallied off. Then it came back with 4 mins left in the Period. Our second period was awful. Bernier kept us in the 2nd period. And in the 3rd period we played the first decent period in 4 games.

But why I say Garbage is because to be honest...This isnt like past LA Kings teams. I hold it to a high standard. Like really high standard right now. At the begining of the season I felt we were better then all the teams in the West except for San Jose. Except Phoenix is in the mix their aswell and I belive we are to Phoenix what Nashville is to us. And I thought we were better then all teams in the east except for Washinton and the Penguins. And I still feel that way. The only teams I want to stay away until we get our groove back in the playoffs are Nashville and Vancouver. Other then that I say bring San Jose and Chicago on and I think we take them out. If we get their

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:37 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Man, is this guy a bust or what?

Quite bluntly, he has stunk it up. I don't see any comfort level on his part at all in a Kings uniform. I am quite disappointed. On paper, it looked like a good pickup. But paper rarely plays center in the NHL.
... I think that I will plead the fifth here.

Last edited by JT Dutch*: 03-31-2010 at 03:44 AM.
JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Are we really complaining about a 4th line player? With a team that is barely scoring 2 goals per game since the Olympics?

Halpern > Ivanans

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Are we really complaining about a 4th line player? With a team that is barely scoring 2 goals per game since the Olympics?

Halpern > Ivanans
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! x100

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
VictoryRose

What Halpern does right now is inconsequential. what matters is what he does after April 9th.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Did Johnny Utah change his name? He is a fourth line player that has been playing limited minutes. He was acquired purely as a playoff asset and wasn't exactly picked up for his scoring prowess... We didn't really give up much for him, and hopefully Terry Murray's magic eight ball tells him how to correctly use him before the postseason starts.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

What are 4th line players supposed to do?

- Grind
- Play defense
- Not make mistakes
- Score on rare occasion

Which of these has Halpern failed at again?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
mistakes. penalties in the offensive zone are bad mistakes, especially when your team comes out with all the momentum after a tough stretch of games against a team they cannot beat.

i don't mind halpern, but he's shown up more in a negative light than a positive one.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
deano

That was a pretty sweet link up between he and Jones last night. The way he received that pass, and set up Parse was really nice to watch. Parse showed a great goal scorers touch, but he doesn't score that goal without that great feed. If he can do that from time to time, and play important minutes on the penalty kill, he'll be a nice addition in the playoffs.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Ralph
Stevehead.

vCash: 1135
You guys were *****ing about Ivanans not having any points so naturally Halpern's time would come.

Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:04 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

He made a nice play for the game winning goal last night and picked up a point. Yes he's been a bit underwhelming so far but I'm gonna wait until the season is over before calling him a bust.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:15 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Relax and enjoy the win.

Jeez, some people will find negative in anything.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:51 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Halpern > Ivanans
I thought he was a first liner though...at least the coach thought he could be

He's been awful. He makes turnovers and he is where cycles go to die.

He's surpassed Jones as my official whipping boy, well.....almost. I loved how at the end of the game, Murray throws Halpern,Modin and Jones out there. Camera pans to them and Jones is chuckling because the game is in the bag; he then proceeds to turn the puck over and possibly blow the shutout for Bernier.

My problem with Halpern is that I feel Purcell hurt us less by sitting in the press box and the 3rd round pick makes it look like a real overpayment on DL's part. He still has time to escape Ronning, Carter and Parrish territory but I wouldn't count on it.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
SFKingshomer

Better than wasting Moller's development on the 4th line...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:02 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Meh! Thats how I feel about him. He had a nice assist to balance out the bad penalty, but I have far more confidence in him than I do in Ratboy playing an occasional shift.

He's depth mainly, and an improvment over what we had there before.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Better than wasting Moller's development on the 4th line...
this

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Relax and enjoy the win.

Jeez, some people will find negative in anything.
Welcome to the Kings board where there is something wrong with everyone/everything and/or there is a hidden agenda.

If Teddy Purcell was still here, there would be a thread about calling up somebody else instead of having him sit in the press box. Since he is gone, we have to now ***** about him not being here and his replacement. If you aren't complaining, you aren't a Kings fan!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Welcome to the Kings board where there is something wrong with everyone/everything and/or there is a hidden agenda.

If Teddy Purcell was still here, there would be a thread about calling up somebody else instead of having him sit in the press box. Since he is gone, we have to now ***** about him not being here and his replacement. If you aren't complaining, you aren't a Kings fan!
I'm not complaining at all, just making a point that I am disappointed, very disappointed. However, I will keep an open mind and hope that he gets comfortable enough to make an impact in the playoffs.

He hasn't shown me anything yet, other than the nice assist to Parse last night.

Old
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

So long as Halpern is defensively sound, which in my opinion he has been, he is doing his job.

He is the Drewiske of the forwards. If you don't notice him much, he's doing just fine.

Old
03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Johnny Utah

I would rather have Clune or Cliche....Halpern stinks.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I would rather have Clune or Cliche....Halpern stinks.
And next season you will.