HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Motivation?

Old
03-31-2010, 01:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Motivation?

It's getting scary quiet in here. Did anyone notice there's a game tonight?

I wonder... what motivates the players at this point? The playoffs are out of the question, not many roster spots are on the line. It's gorgeous outside in Raleigh (75 and sunny), but they're stuck in some practice arena in Quebec (51 and cloudy). We're two and a half weeks from watching them disperse all over the continent for the summer.

What does Mo say to them when they arrive in the locker room tonight?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:10 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Some are playing to still be relevant, some are playing for pride, some are playing for personal milestones, some are playing because they love the game, some are playing to be spoilers, etc.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's getting scary quiet in here. Did anyone notice there's a game tonight?

I wonder... what motivates the players at this point? The playoffs are out of the question, not many roster spots are on the line. It's gorgeous outside in Raleigh (75 and sunny), but they're stuck in some practice arena in Quebec (51 and cloudy). We're two and a half weeks from watching them disperse all over the continent for the summer.

What does Mo say to them when they arrive in the locker room tonight?
What motivates them?

Dwyer, Boychuk, McBain, Harrison, Carson, Bowman, Rodney ==> Want to prove themselves for a spot next year.

Whitney, Pothier ==> UFAs, want to get a decent contract next year.

Jussi ==> wants to score 30 goals and still show team Finland they were wrong.

Larose, Cole, Ward ==> want to prove the injuries the 1st 1/2 of the season are behind them.

Sutter, Kostopoulos ==> They don't seem to need motivation to play hard.

Pitkanen ==> personally, I can't tell when he is motivated vs. not motivated as he is pretty even keeled. Seems to be enjoying the massive minutes this year though.

Samsonov ===> you got me there.

Staal ===> he doesn't look very motivated to me.

Most importantly, these guys are highly competitive, professional athletes and hate to lose.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:19 PM
totalkev

The difference between being motivated and having the *will* to win an NHL game is canyon-sized. I'm sure the guys will show up. I'm sure they will play hard. I'm sure they "want" to win (for whatever their personal reason). But I'm not sure they're willing to do what it takes to get two points. Even if they are willing at the opening faceoff, they likely won't be if they fall behind. To be honest, the lack of will to do the important little things (go to the net, stop and start instead of drive-by defense, not being quick enough, etc.) are the things that have plagued this team all year, so I'm not sure why it would stop now.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 04:30 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
The difference between being motivated and having the *will* to win an NHL game is canyon-sized. I'm sure the guys will show up. I'm sure they will play hard. I'm sure they "want" to win (for whatever their personal reason). But I'm not sure they're willing to do what it takes to get two points. Even if they are willing at the opening faceoff, they likely won't be if they fall behind. To be honest, the lack of will to do the important little things (go to the net, stop and start instead of drive-by defense, not being quick enough, etc.) are the things that have plagued this team all year, so I'm not sure why it would stop now.
I disagree there. It's Montreal. It doesn't take much for the Carolina Hurricanes to get motivated to play the Montreal Canadiens.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 04:34 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I don't mean this in a condescending way, but if you've ever played sports you always play to try to win the game no matter what. That's everyone's motivation, but there are other things that motivate players as well like other people have pointed out.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
I disagree there. It's Montreal. It doesn't take much for the Carolina Hurricanes to get motivated to play the Montreal Canadiens.
Do me a flava fave and read my post again. I said they'd be motivated ... by whatever motivates them. But having motivation to win and having the *will* to do what is necessary, are two totally different things.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Do me a flava fave and read my post again.

I see!

Old
03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Sens1Canes2

i disagree about Staal being unmotivated. He was clearly motivated to cherry-pick and leave the zone early to try and score an empty-netter with about 10 seconds left, and then when the puck was kept in, managed to float back to just inside the blue line. With 5 attacking Habs within about 15 feet of the net.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
i disagree about Staal being unmotivated. He was clearly motivated to cherry-pick and leave the zone early to try and score an empty-netter with about 10 seconds left, and then when the puck was kept in, managed to float back to just inside the blue line. With 5 attacking Habs within about 15 feet of the net.

On the flip side, I actually saw him back-check a couple times tonight, win a number of battles for the puck, and go hard to the net.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:53 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Give the guy a break he needs to catch Jokinen!