HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Fulfilling Our Biggest Needs in the 2010 Offseason

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Mike92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I'm really wondering if Michalek has been playing hurt recently. He didn't look quite right the last month or so of the season and I've heard [tho haven't confirmed] he missed many practices during the playoffs.
I've been thinking the same thing. He's had an off year overall and while I don't think he was really bad in the playoffs he looked to be struggling a little out there. People are saying he lacks footspeed and offensive ability, those definitely aren't his strong points but they're not that bad and they've been better in the past. Also he was playing against Detroit. If he wants a big payday no, otherwise he needs to stay.

Stempniak worked hard but didn't get the results, and he made some bad decisions with the puck. Credit Detroit though they took away his space and didn't let him sneak into those scoring areas like he was doing down the stretch. I'd offer him a year at what he was making, maybe a little more.

I'd like Pyatt back for around a mil.

Morris is a keeper, and I think at least as important as Michalek.

Aucoin would be nice to have back for around 1.5 to 2 on a one year deal.

Lombardi is a no brainer imo. Perfect fit and he did well in the playoffs.

Vandermeer Winnik and Nokelainen should be moved if we can. I like vandy for his role but he makes too much. Winnik has played himself off this team, and Nokelainen just doesn't add enough to warrant a spot, but he's a nice depth player if we don't get any takers.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:35 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92 View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. He's had an off year overall and while I don't think he was really bad in the playoffs he looked to be struggling a little out there. People are saying he lacks footspeed and offensive ability, those definitely aren't his strong points but they're not that bad and they've been better in the past. Also he was playing against Detroit. If he wants a big payday no, otherwise he needs to stay.

Stempniak worked hard but didn't get the results, and he made some bad decisions with the puck. Credit Detroit though they took away his space and didn't let him sneak into those scoring areas like he was doing down the stretch. I'd offer him a year at what he was making, maybe a little more.

Vandermeer Winnik and Nokelainen should be moved if we can. I like vandy for his role but he makes too much. Winnik has played himself off this team, and Nokelainen just doesn't add enough to warrant a spot, but he's a nice depth player if we don't get any takers.
Really? Winnik has played himself right onto that third or fourth line spot. He is a fantastic penalty killer, and a great defender.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Lorenzo1000

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Really? Winnik has played himself right onto that third or fourth line spot. He is a fantastic penalty killer, and a great defender.
Winnik played well all year and did well in the playoffs...I have no idea what M92 is talking about.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think the only way Z leaves is if he's decided he wants to play with his brother in Ottawa. Otherwise I think the Coyotes give him a fair offer and he takes it. I don't see either side playing hardball here and they shouldn't. I think the organization wants him here (the fans certainly do) and I think he likes it here. Yes he had a difficult series but it was his first playoffs and it was up against a cup favorite. He'll learn from it and grow as a player.

Old
04-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Mike92

I'm talking about him playing like a less skilled less intense korpikoski who couldn't clear the puck out of the zone on the pk in the playoffs. He's way too replaceable to do that and pyatt and korpikoski have passed him up on the depth chart imo. I gave him a pass for most of last year but to do it again in the playoffs is too much for me. Schneider and Lang played with as much tenacity. He skated around real fast and while he wasn't out of position really he didn't do much of anything. He had a couple nice entrys into the zone but that's not gonna cut it.

Old
04-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Mike92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I think the only way Z leaves is if he's decided he wants to play with his brother in Ottawa. Otherwise I think the Coyotes give him a fair offer and he takes it. I don't see either side playing hardball here and they shouldn't. I think the organization wants him here (the fans certainly do) and I think he likes it here. Yes he had a difficult series but it was his first playoffs and it was up against a cup favorite. He'll learn from it and grow as a player.
I hope and think you're right. He really stepped up his physical play down low and was a lot more effective doing it than I would have thought against some of detroits bigger forwards. Same with Lepisto.

Old
04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
That makes sense, thanks. I didn't know the players had to give back a percentage of their paychecks. If they have to give that much back, why wouldn't the salary cap come down instead of staying more or less the same? Aren't both of those stipulations of the CBA tied to the concept of revenue?
Yes they're both tied to revenue. It's just that the cap calculations and team spending is biased toward season-to-season revenue growth. When the league doesn't experience that revenue growth as was the case last season and this one, then the players lose parts of their paychecks via escrow.

In a nutshell, each year they calculate the next season's Cap Midpoint [$48.8m this year] based on the previous season revenue + 5% [NHLPA's option whether to include this or not, but they always have]. Then the Cap Limit and Cap Floor are set $8m off the midpoint [$56.8m and $40.8m this season]. Between the 5% assumed growth and the fact that most teams are spending above the Cap Midpoint the end effect is that each season the player salaries typically have a built-in assumption of 11-13% league-wide revenue growth from the prior season. That growth was met in 06-07 and 07-08, but then along came the recession and the growth hasn't occurred so the players end up refunding the $ they were "overpaid".

The NHLPA could choose not to implement the 5% default growth assumption, although they've never done so. Also the NHL and NHLPA could agree to use a different growth estimate, including a negative number. That's also something that's never happened though.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:44 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1000 View Post
Winnik played well all year and did well in the playoffs...I have no idea what M92 is talking about.
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but Winnik was by far one of our worst players in the series against Detroit. His big body, for checking ability, and board game were nowhere to be seen. I was disappointed by his physicality level, and his inability to make the easy play like just getting it deep. He was good during the regular season, and this was his first trip to the big show against Detroit. I'm willing to give him some slack, most of our bottom 6 didn't show up in this series.

Old
04-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Let me put this into 3 categories; Of the players that could be subject to be moved, or are free agents....

Group One: I do NOT want to lose the following:
Upshall
Wolski
Lombardi
Hanzal
Morris

Group Two: I would like to keep, but if we have to lose them, I'll get over it:
Pyatt
Stempniak
Winnik
Michalek
Aucoin

Group 3: Go ahead and let them walk:
Lang
Nokelainen
Sauer(wtf?)
Schneider
Vandermeer

Group 2 is the group whom which we find replacements for via trade or free agency only.

Potential players to acquire based off needs (examples): Weiss, FLA(#1 Center) Plekanec, MTL(Scoring Winger) Jones, LAK(Defensive Replacement) Seidenberg, BOS(Defensive Replacement)

Group 3 is the group whom which we fill their roles with emerging minor leaguers, and/or via trade or free agency.

Potential Call-ups: Turris (3rd-1st Line Center) Maclean (2nd-4th line winger) Tikhonov (3rd-4th line winger) Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Based on performance, Defensive Replacement) Chris Summers (Based on performance, Defensive Replacement) Goncharov (Based on performance, Defensive Replacement)

Last edited by Rabbit: 04-29-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old
04-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Mike92

I like how you set that up wabbit, and agree for the most part. I'd have Michalek and Morris between group 1 and 2 but that kinda kills your system haha. I think we can afford to lose one but not both. If I had to pick it would be tough but I'd go with morris.

Where would you have aucoin, don't see him on there.

I think we can pretty much count on at least one forward and one dman being a regular contributor next season. The guys you listed seem the most likely to me, maybe Boedker too but I think he's still too raw and could use work on his shot, defense, and overall decision making to a lesser degree. I think Tiks and one of turris or maclean make it, with summers and maybe oel in on d. Haven't really seen goncharov play thought so who knows. I'd love to see oel make it though, it's fun just watching that guy skate.

Anyone else real happy with Lepisto's play late in the season and playoffs? He really surprised me with how physical he was and did a good job one v one with some of detroits trickier forwards. Makes our ufa situation a little less scary.

Old
04-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
I like how you set that up wabbit, and agree for the most part. I'd have Michalek and Morris between group 1 and 2 but that kinda kills your system haha. I think we can afford to lose one but not both. If I had to pick it would be tough but I'd go with morris.

Where would you have aucoin, don't see him on there.

I think we can pretty much count on at least one forward and one dman being a regular contributor next season. The guys you listed seem the most likely to me, maybe Boedker too but I think he's still too raw and could use work on his shot, defense, and overall decision making to a lesser degree. I think Tiks and one of turris or maclean make it, with summers and maybe oel in on d. Haven't really seen goncharov play thought so who knows. I'd love to see oel make it though, it's fun just watching that guy skate.

Anyone else real happy with Lepisto's play late in the season and playoffs? He really surprised me with how physical he was and did a good job one v one with some of detroits trickier forwards. Makes our ufa situation a little less scary.
Thank you! Yeah I forgot to put Aucoin in there, I have made some changes. I agree with you on Morris.

Old
04-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
Group Two: I would like to keep, but if we have to lose them, I'll get over it:
Pyatt
Stempniak
Winnik
Michalek
Aucoin
Disagree with Aucoin and Michalek. Michalek is going to be one of the more prized D-men on the open market. He must be kept.

Old
04-29-2010, 01:37 AM
XX
... Waiting

We can re-sign Aucoin at a lower rate. He isn't going to get a lot of offers from other teams, and he likes it here. Absolutely must keep Michalek. He is glue. Mike Johnson times 100.

Keep in mind Nokelainen and Biz are signed through next year.

Old
04-29-2010, 02:12 AM
60DegreesIsCold

I'm reluctant to be too critical of guys for struggling during their first playoff series. Nobody is good during their first playoff games, and our playoff virgins had the added horror of playing against the Wings, which might buy them even a bit more leeway.

I love Winnik and his work on the pk. He's also come up through our system, and I associate him very strongly with the Coyotes because of that. My two major concerns with him are that he seemed less impressive to me as the year went on in general, and also that he has almost no offense and can't play effectively anywhere but the fourth line. That's fine for his role, but since we don't have a top-heavy offense we kind of need to get points from anywhere possible. Nonetheless, I can't see us getting much for him and he can improve on his poor playoff performance next year.

I'd really like to keep Lombardi, Upshall, Wolski, Hanzal, Morris, Michalek, and Aucoin for sure, as long as none asks for an absurd contract. I firmly believe that only one or two young dudes should be brought up from San Antonio at a time. I think it's generally better for their growth if they can be the primary focus for player development, while learning from the older guys. Turris is looking promising from what everyone has said, and Tikhonov might be a relatively safe bet. Leave Boedker on the Rampage for more seasoning.

Also, while I definitely want to keep Upshall, I'd rather we not plan on placing a huge load on him initially. He could very likely struggle for some time coming off the injury. Knee problems are rough on all hockey players, but especially speed guys like Scottie. He may not be the same at first, so it's best to be prepared to ease him back into things.

Old
04-29-2010, 03:18 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Moving the discussion over here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=770258

Closed Thread