HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official 2010 MLB Thread (All Yankees, Mets and General MLB talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2010, 01:28 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Cora has had an OPS over .700 once since 2004, and that was in 75 games playing in Boston's lineup. He has almost no power either, gets on base even less, AND steals no bases.

Look at OPS+ for Castillo the past few years: 93, 108, 91, 94, 77, 98, 80
And for Cora, over the same time period: 98, 62, 56, 75, 87, 69, 36

Castillo is nothing to write home about offensively, but Cora is considerably worse.

And while Castillo sucks defensively due to his nonexistent range, Cora--as a 2B--is actually just as bad. There are really no advantages to having Cora play 2B over Castillo. Neither is particularly useful at this point in their respective careers, but Luis is the better choice for us at this point.

I did state that Cora is not the answer, just that I'd much rather watch him play then Luis.

You know what the difference is? The difference is bases loaded one out in a tie game, Cora can hit line a line drive or a ball deep enough to the outfield to get a run in. Luis can't do that. Luis can't do ANYTHING except take pitches. He hits the ball with zero authority. The outfield plays SO shallow when he hits that even if there's a runner in scoring position or runners on base there's no way they're scoring or moving up more than one base.

Sometimes stats tell you things, other times they don't.

Old
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Before he got hurt in 2008, he was routinely 93-96 while touching high 90's as a starter. He even hit 100 MPH during the 7th inning of that one game he pitched in Fenway.

I don't know what the Yankees did to him, but he hasn't been the same since.

Darko - No Hughes rules because he already complied a decent amount of innings in the minors. They're not gonna push him to 220+, but they'll let him go for a while, sort of like the Cards did with Adam Wainwright.
The team doesn't hold starters to a particular # of innings, they hold them to a pitch count. How many innings hughes is going to pitch this season is 99% dependent on how effective and economical he is. People love pitchers with high strikeout counts, but you have to remember, a 2 pitch ground out is far superior to a 10 pitch 3-2 strikeout. That's why you don't see guys like CC pitching at a rate of 1 strikeout an inning. It's not possible to pitch that many strikeouts and go deep into games.

Old
05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
But Cora doesn't really hit the ball with any authority. He's pretty terrible offensively. I have very little confidence in either of them offensively. I mean Cora has 8 HR since 2005. Look at slugging percentages since 2005:

Cora: .332, .298, .386, .349, .310, .243
Castillo: .374, .370, .359, .305, .346, .311

It's pretty even... I hear you that stats can't tell you everything, but there are stats that indicate the things you're talking about. Neither of them have any pop in their bats any more. And yet, in a bases loaded situation, Luis Castillo is more likely to record a hit or take a walk to drive in a run. Is Cora more likely to hit a gapper? Yes, but even accounting for that, it's less likely that Cora's AB will result in a "positive" outcome.

Last three years, bases loaded:

Cora: 2-18 (21 PA), 7 RBI (.33 RBI/PA)
Castillo: 8-24 (26 PA), 19 RBI (.73 RBI/PA)

Cora is one of the LEAST clutch performs around, and is AWFUL at driving in runs. We agree that Castillo is poor offensively, but seriously, Cora is wayyy worse.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 05-04-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old
05-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

joba screwed up his shoulder, and now he has mechanical problems...as a starter he was absolutely dominating till he hurt himself, probably one of the best starters in baseball...injuries happen though, you gotta roll with the punches.

Old
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
you guys are 8-2 in your last 10....everybody has an off game.

sheesh.
beating the braves who went like ofer a month, the dodgers who are struggling, the orioles who...well theyre the orioles, isnt as impressive as the numbers indicate. pelfrey somehow managed to get himself 4 wins throwing 2 pitches, im sorry but in MLB that doesnt happen without some help fromthe opponent.

the NYM pitching staff is a pile, heres to another year in the cellar!

also, can we PLEASE get reyes out of the #3 spot or get Bay FARRRR away from him. what good does reyes' speed do the team when bay consitantly strikes out on 3 straight pitches? NONE! Manuel cant be this stupid, he just cant be...

Old
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
The Thomas J.*

The Mets until this past weekend had not played anyone good. It figures, as soon as I have some optomisim about this team & I break out a Met hat they fall apart.

Although, it was nice to be in 1st place for a couple of days.

Old
05-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
joba screwed up his shoulder, and now he has mechanical problems...as a starter he was absolutely dominating till he hurt himself, probably one of the best starters in baseball...injuries happen though, you gotta roll with the punches.
Yeah.. but he's in his 20s, he should've been able to recover from that injury. Everyone in sports get injured, there probably has never ever been a player who's never faced an injury or missed a game due to an illness (or at the minimum underperformed due to not feeling well).

And in baseball injured players are given time to recover, plus players get days off, it's not like hockey where players play injured and play all 82 games if they are able.

Old
05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:

He didn't screw it up, he had a little bout with tendinitis.

Then management overreacted and changed his mechanics, which he obviously hasn't been comfortable with since. The change was stupid to begin with, the fact that they haven't allowed him to go back to the way he used to throw is even stupider.

Old
05-04-2010, 07:40 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I don't think Hughes always had a better arsenal. Now he does but once upon a time Joba's was better.

Well spotted mid-high nineties fastball. With a plus plus slider. Very good curve and a pretty good change-up. Now he has trouble repeating his delivery and he no longer has this arsenal.

And he didnt, I never said he did. Joba had 3 above average pitchers and 1 decent pitch (change) which he mainly threw to lefties. Hughes on the other hand like you said relied on 2 pitches. Fast forward and Joba hasn't made any improvements and in fact may have regressed (he did have injury issues) while Hughes has improved leaps and bounds. There is no denying that Hughes is better suited for rotation than Joba right now. Go back to 08 and Joba was almost unanimously better. Times change though. 2 key issues with Joba are inconsistency and control ... IMO he hasn't rectified any of them.

Old
05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Before he got hurt in 2008, he was routinely 93-96 while touching high 90's as a starter. He even hit 100 MPH during the 7th inning of that one game he pitched in Fenway.

I don't know what the Yankees did to him, but he hasn't been the same since.

Darko - No Hughes rules because he already complied a decent amount of innings in the minors. They're not gonna push him to 220+, but they'll let him go for a while, sort of like the Cards did with Adam Wainwright.

Yeah and I wouldnt mind that really. While you do want to protect pitcher's arm and build it up gradually you dont exactly want to 'baby em'. Then again you dont want to do what Reds did with Volquez.

Old
05-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
And he didnt, I never said he did. Joba had 3 above average pitchers and 1 decent pitch (change) which he mainly threw to lefties. Hughes on the other hand like you said relied on 2 pitches. Fast forward and Joba hasn't made any improvements and in fact may have regressed (he did have injury issues) while Hughes has improved leaps and bounds. There is no denying that Hughes is better suited for rotation than Joba right now. Go back to 08 and Joba was almost unanimously better. Times change though. 2 key issues with Joba are inconsistency and control ... IMO he hasn't rectified any of them.
Hughes is better suited to be the better starter,period.as you even said,Joba had 3 above average pitches and a change,while Hughes relied on 2 pitches.Hughes wound up being the better pitching prospect while only having 2 pitches,which tells you just how good those 2 pitches were.

the fact that Hughes became,not only one of the Yankees biggest prospects,but also one of the biggest in the minor leagues,with just those 2 pitches,is quite remarkable and shows people just how dominating and how lethal his stuff was in the minors.

Joba could never become the starter Hughes is becoming.the Yankees have Joba in the right role for him now,as reliever/closer in grooming,where he should stay.

Old
05-05-2010, 08:06 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
But Cora doesn't really hit the ball with any authority. He's pretty terrible offensively. I have very little confidence in either of them offensively. I mean Cora has 8 HR since 2005. Look at slugging percentages since 2005:

Cora: .332, .298, .386, .349, .310, .243
Castillo: .374, .370, .359, .305, .346, .311

It's pretty even... I hear you that stats can't tell you everything, but there are stats that indicate the things you're talking about. Neither of them have any pop in their bats any more. And yet, in a bases loaded situation, Luis Castillo is more likely to record a hit or take a walk to drive in a run. Is Cora more likely to hit a gapper? Yes, but even accounting for that, it's less likely that Cora's AB will result in a "positive" outcome.

Last three years, bases loaded:

Cora: 2-18 (21 PA), 7 RBI (.33 RBI/PA)
Castillo: 8-24 (26 PA), 19 RBI (.73 RBI/PA)

Cora is one of the LEAST clutch performs around, and is AWFUL at driving in runs. We agree that Castillo is poor offensively, but seriously, Cora is wayyy worse.

I can't argue with any of your stats. Most of my opinion of Castillo comes from my eyes. Just watching him I never have any confidence. The guy gets on base and he appears to be a good guy, team player and all that. I would just prefer Cora. But that's irrelevant because Jerry has shown he's going to use Castillo basically every day and all of us just have to hope he has another year like last year.

David 6 HR's now. I think I head a stat on Sunday night baseball that he didn't hit his 4th until June last year or something? Crazy.

Another HR on the road of course...I wonder just how much Citi is really in his head.

Old
05-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Hey guys, you all seem like a bunch of knowledgeable baseball people, so if anyone can help me with my fantasy baseball team I could really use some help since I'm pretty inept when it comes to baseball players.

I would post my question here, but I dont know if thats against this threads rules so :shrugs: PM me please

Old
05-07-2010, 01:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think you're fine asking it in here.

Though I'd recommend you ask it in the Fantasy Baseball Discussion thread in the Baseball forum: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=483666

Lot's of very savvy fantasy players in there to help get you started.

Old
05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

I posted it there just now, but ill post here as well,

I've moved up into the "big leagues" in fantasy baseball, you know the one... Your dad and his retired friends that sit around all day making trades and know every stat about every player off the top of their heads, and so with that I'm lost here. The last fantasy baseball league was a 6 person college head to head for drinking money type thing.
Anyway, heres my team: its a 12 person Rotisserie league

H/AB-R-H-HR-RBI-SB-AVG

IP-W-SV-K-ERA-WHIP-K/BB-SP

I'm looking to possibly add Livan Hernandez at the moment and wondering if I should drop Ben Sheets. I have a feeling he wont be that bad later in the season, and If I drop him I'll lose out on his better performances.
I'm currently last in the league; If yahoo had a printer friendly(post friendly ) version I would post them. so heres a link to a screen shot I took of the current stats as of this morning:

best available pitchers:

best available batters:

and my team:

if you need any more info please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer it/post pictures of it

I got a trade proposal today for my Heath Bell for his M.Cuddyer and J.Sanchez

what do you guys think? go for it?

Last edited by nyr2k2: 05-07-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old
05-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

after a couple of Add/Drops this is what my team looks like now, also decided on not taking the trade.

Batters

Troy Tulowitzki
(Col - SS)
Ian Kinsler
(Tex - 2B)
Chone Figgins
(Sea - 2B,3B)
Adam Dunn
(Was - 1B,OF)
Chris Coghlan
(Fla - OF)
Raúl Ibañez
(Phi - OF)
Bengie Molina
(SF - C)
Casey Blake
(LAD - 3B)
Miguel Tejada
(Bal - 3B,SS)
Chris Young
(Ari - OF)
J.D. Drew
(Bos - OF)
Nick Swisher
(NYY - 1B,OF)
Orlando Hudson
(Min - 2B)
Casey McGehee
(Mil - 2B,3B)

Pitchers

CC Sabathia
(NYY - SP)
Jonathan Papelbon
(Bos - RP)
Heath Bell
(SD - RP)
Jered Weaver
(LAA - SP)
Brett Anderson
(Oak - SP)DL
Jake Peavy
(CWS - SP)
Ben Sheets
(Oak - SP)
Carl Pavano
(Min-SP)

Old
05-07-2010, 04:29 PM
ruckus*

That's a pretty fair trade if you ask me.

I probably would've taken it if I were you. Cuddyer is a help to your outfield, which is atrocious. Plus you get a very solid starting pitcher in Sanchez back. Saves can be had at different points in the season. Injuries, bad performances, saves always open up. There's probably a FA out there you can grab.

12 team leagues are tough. Not a lot of changes you can make if your team sucks.

I don't think it'd be a bad decision to swap Sheets for Livan but you're right Sheets will probably be gone then. The thing is when your team is bad you have to take chances and see what happens. Someone whose team is good will most likely take a chance on Sheets because they have that luxury. You on the other hand do not.

Old
05-07-2010, 04:35 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I posted it there just now, but ill post here as well,

I've moved up into the "big leagues" in fantasy baseball, you know the one... Your dad and his retired friends that sit around all day making trades and know every stat about every player off the top of their heads, and so with that I'm lost here. The last fantasy baseball league was a 6 person college head to head for drinking money type thing.
Anyway, heres my team: its a 12 person Rotisserie league

H/AB-R-H-HR-RBI-SB-AVG

IP-W-SV-K-ERA-WHIP-K/BB-SP

I'm looking to possibly add Livan Hernandez at the moment and wondering if I should drop Ben Sheets. I have a feeling he wont be that bad later in the season, and If I drop him I'll lose out on his better performances.
I'm currently last in the league; If yahoo had a printer friendly(post friendly ) version I would post them. so heres a link to a screen shot I took of the current stats as of this morning:

best available pitchers:

best available batters:

and my team:

if you need any more info please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer it/post pictures of it

I got a trade proposal today for my Heath Bell for his M.Cuddyer and J.Sanchez

what do you guys think? go for it?

Yeah go for it. Cuddyer is going to have a great year hitting in the middle of the Twins lineup and you need OF help.

Sanchez is a bit of a wild card, because you never know exactly what you're gonna get from him (it might be 7 IP with 1ER and 12K's or 5 IP with 5ER and a ton of walks) but from what I've seen, hes gotten more consistent over the last few years.

Old
05-07-2010, 07:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Ike with 2 HRs tongiht...both solo shots.

Old
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

big pelf looking solid

gotta love ike but need those taters to be with some ducks on the pond

need this game tonite.

Old
05-07-2010, 08:38 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I just absolutely love it when Fenway is desolate and the Sox are a miserable team.

It reminds me of the 1990s

Old
05-07-2010, 08:46 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

K-Rod blows the game in the 9th giving up a solo homer.

And Castillo just saved the game by stopping a groundball from going into the outfield that would have definitely led to a run scoring.

Old
05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

he gave up a bomb in the 9th with a 1 run lead

he gets paid to save games and he failed miserably

poor pelf

great play by louy and ike having a monster game with the bat and that catch he just made was filthy

Old
05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

rod !!!!!!!

Old
05-07-2010, 08:59 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Rod Barajas has been a Godsend