HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2010 MLB Thread (All Yankees, Mets and General MLB talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
NewYorkStranger

vCash: 500
Eventhough the Yanks lost yesterday, Hughes is really starting to flash the promise when he was deemed the best prospect in all of baseball. While unlikely with CC on board, it wouldn't surprise me if he wound up being the Yankees best pitcher this season.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

ok im officially on board with this bunch. great run here. 7 in a row baby

all of a sudden, we hit triples.

and ike freekin davis

10 31 5 11 3 0 1 6 5 8 0 0 .355 .432 .548 .981

dude has started strong.

john maine with a huuuuuuge game for him. he stepped up and delivered. he was touching 90 again finally. needs to get that 93 back though.

too bad ollie cant do that same.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 04-28-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old
04-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Fletch

Stranger...

I agree that Hughes is looking a lot better than the last times we saw him as a starter, and I believe he had a real wake-up call last season and responded extremely well. For me, he still has a lot to prove and I can't honestly predict where it's going to end up. It's a long season. I can definitely see him jumping to be the #4 starter (in a short while, although the damn innings restriction may be another distraction). He will need to figure out a way to get past the 6th inning a bit more. Joba had the same issue last season. It doesn't do the 'Pen any good to show up in the 6th innning of most starts. Hopefully he can make that transition.

Old
04-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkStranger View Post
Eventhough the Yanks lost yesterday, Hughes is really starting to flash the promise when he was deemed the best prospect in all of baseball. While unlikely with CC on board, it wouldn't surprise me if he wound up being the Yankees best pitcher this season.
It wasn't his fault for the loss.

He let up 1 run in over 5 innings pitched, and if he finished that inning we probably would've won the game. Robertson coughing up 3 runs while notching only 1 out is just unacceptable. The RPing in that inning was just a joke.. bring on a new pitcher.. walks a guy.. bring up the next guy and he lets 3 guys score.

Hughes put up a good quality start. He didn't go as deep as you'd like, but 1 run in 5.2 innings is not a bad day, especially the way he was struggling. And that only run was because he walked like 3 guys in a row because he was having trouble. So not bad at all.

Old
04-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
well, if i was a pitcher i'd refuse to pitch to cano. IBB every time.

Old
04-30-2010, 06:33 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Mets off to a good start in Philly tonight up 3-0 early.

Old
04-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
All I can say is GO METS.

And **** you, Jerry. Simply wasting Mejia.

Old
04-30-2010, 08:32 PM
ThirdEye

Jeter is really starting to grow on me. Even as a Yankees fan I always thought he was overrated. But now I don't give a rats ass how overrated he is, I want the guy to play another 5 years

Old
04-30-2010, 09:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Okay...this is getting really good...9-1 over the Philthies?! Niese with 7 solid innings? Barajas with 2 HRs? They need a #2/#3 pitcher.

Old
04-30-2010, 11:21 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Jeter is really starting to grow on me. Even as a Yankees fan I always thought he was overrated. But now I don't give a rats ass how overrated he is, I want the guy to play another 5 years
The only thing overrated about Jeter is his defense. I hate him, but he's a fantastic player.

It's just pain.
Old
04-30-2010, 11:39 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
lol what?

I'm sorry if I come off as a dick here but how long have you been following the Yankees?

The only overrated SS in NY plays for the Mets.

Old
04-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Jeter is one of the most overrated players in professional sports, what's hard to understand?

That doesn't mean he's bad or not a good player or anything, he's just extremely overrated by people who continue to flaunt this idea of clutch or being a "gamer."

Old
04-30-2010, 11:55 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Jeter is one of the most overrated players in professional sports, what's hard to understand?

That doesn't mean he's bad or not a good player or anything, he's just extremely overrated by people who continue to flaunt this idea of clutch or being a "gamer."
I was questioning the notion that Jeter is just starting to grow on him now. Thats a really ****ing weird statement for a Yankee fan to make.

I don't see how anyone who watches him play on an every day basis can say that hes overrated, his resume pretty much speaks for itself. Most of that crap is just pure jealousy or ignorance.

Old
04-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Jeter is certainly not as "clutch" (I hate that word) as people make him out to be (no one is really as "clutch" as people make them out to be), however he is a fantastic player, especially for a shortstop. His defense even took a step up last season when the Yankees started shadowing him more to his left.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:06 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
lol what?

I'm sorry if I come off as a dick here but how long have you been following the Yankees?

The only overrated SS in NY plays for the Mets.
About 12 years. I've always thought he was a good player, but somewhat overrated and not really captain material. He was absolutely superb last year though and proved a lot of naysayers wrong. And it looks like he's destined for another solid year. He kind of brings that whole lineup together, and pitchers probably hate pitching to him because he's almost always a tough out. Still, it was A-rod and the pitching that won us the championship last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

There are people who overrate him and I guess there are people like you who give him way too little credit. It doesn't really matter how overrated he is, he's going to be in the HOF when he retires. No knowledgeable baseball fan will ever declare him the greatest player to ever live, but he's still one of the best who's ever played the game - especially at SS

And to say he isn't clutch is absolutely ridiculous. Come on now

Old
05-01-2010, 12:11 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
I was questioning the notion that Jeter is just starting to grow on him now. Thats a really ****ing weird statement for a Yankee fan to make.

I don't see how anyone who watches him play on an every day basis can say that hes overrated, his resume pretty much speaks for itself. Most of that crap is just pure jealousy or ignorance.
Is it some kind of revelation to you that some Yankees fans think Jeter is overrated?

Jeter is great and all, but he's never really been a favorite of mine. Just personal preference. I don't see what your problem is

Old
05-01-2010, 12:21 AM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
About 12 years. I've always thought he was a good player, but somewhat overrated and not really captain material. He was absolutely superb last year though and proved a lot of naysayers wrong. And it looks like he's destined for another solid year. He kind of brings that whole lineup together, and pitchers probably hate pitching to him because he's almost always a tough out. Still, it was A-rod and the pitching that won us the championship last year

There are people who overrate him and I guess there are people like you who give him way too little credit. It doesn't really matter how overrated he is, he's going to be in the HOF when he retires. No knowledgeable baseball fan will ever declare him the greatest player to ever live, but he's still one of the best who's ever played the game - especially at SS

And to say he isn't clutch is absolutely ridiculous. Come on now

Ok let me rephrase my question, how closely have you been watching the last 12 years

Seriously though, I'd like to know why you think he isn't captain material.

And last year wasn't even the best year of his career. He was incredible in 1999 and hes been pretty damn consistent every other year outside of 1997, 2004 (sorta, thats the year he went like 0-30 over one stretch so his batting average suffered, but the rest of his numbers were pretty good) and 2008 (where he played with a bad wrist all year after getting hit by that one dude on the O's who didn't know where the ball was going, Daniel Cabrera was it?) Hes been the guy who has held the group together since he became an every day player in 1996, I don't know how anyone who has watched this team over the years can dispute that.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
All I can say is GO METS.

And **** you, Jerry. Simply wasting Mejia.
It really irritates me that he's not down in the minors learning how to be a starter.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:33 AM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
It really irritates me that he's not down in the minors learning how to be a starter.

Is that the long term plan for him? I always thought they were grooming him to be a closer.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:38 AM
darko

Quote:
No knowledgeable baseball fan will ever declare him the greatest player to ever live, but he's still one of the best who's ever played the game - especially at SS

One of the best who's played the game? Not in top-50.
One of the best shortstops of all time? Yes. I would rank him 4th and behind Honus Wagner, Alex Rodriguez and Cal Ripken.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:39 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post

Another full year in AA or AAA should've been on the cards. But it's Mets we are talking about. They tend to rush their prospects.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:47 AM
darko

Quote:
Is that the long term plan for him? I always thought they were grooming him to be a closer.

They would be crazy to do that. He needs to work on his breaking pitches but he has #1 or #2 upside. Chances of him reaching that upside is slim but you have to give him a good shot as a starter.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:56 AM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
They would be crazy to do that. He needs to work on his breaking pitches but he has #1 or #2 upside. Chances of him reaching that upside is slim but you have to give him a good shot as a starter.

Oh if their intention is for him to be a starter, then having him pitch as a reliever right now is monumentally stupid. He should be building up his arm at this point and having him throw 10-20 pitches every once in a while isn't gonna help with that, or developing his secondary stuff as you said.

They'd be wise to send him down to the minors soon before they **** up his development and/or arm completely.

Old
05-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
One of the best who's played the game? Not in top-50.
One of the best shortstops of all time? Yes. I would rank him 4th and behind Honus Wagner, Alex Rodriguez and Cal Ripken.
64th highest batting average of all time
117th in OBP
45th in hits
78th in total bases
47th in runs scored
98th in doubles
10 time All-Star
5 Rings
4 Golden Gloves
4 Silver Sluggers
2 Hank Aaron awards
Rookie of the year
All star game MVP
World Series MVP
Babe Ruth award
Roberto Clemente award
Sportsman of the year

and hes still probably got another 4-7 years or more in him.

imho hes one of the most complete players in baseball history, and his postseason stats speak for themselves.

Derek Jeter is without a doubt one of the 50 greatest baseball players of all time. I can't believe anyone would disagree with that...at least anyone who has watched him play night in and night out.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:27 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
64th highest batting average of all time
117th in OBP
45th in hits
78th in total bases
47th in runs scored
98th in doubles
10 time All-Star
5 Rings
4 Golden Gloves
4 Silver Sluggers
2 Hank Aaron awards
Rookie of the year
All star game MVP
World Series MVP
Babe Ruth award
Roberto Clemente award
Sportsman of the year

and hes still probably got another 4-7 years or more in him.

imho hes one of the most complete players in baseball history, and his postseason stats speak for themselves.

Derek Jeter is without a doubt one of the 50 greatest baseball players of all time. I can't believe anyone would disagree with that...at least anyone who has watched him play night in and night out.

List of hitters who I think are better than Jeter:

Babe Ruth
Willie Mays
Honus Wagner
Ty Cobb
Ted Williams
Roger Hornsby
Lou Gehrig
Stan Musial
Joe Dimaggio
Mickey Mantle
Mike Schmidt
Barry Bonds
Hank Aaron
Tris Speaker
Jimmie Foxx
Eddie Collins
Robert Clemente
Ken Griffey Jr
Joe Jackson
Rickey Henderson
Alex Rodriguez
Manny Ramirez
Albert Pujols
Pete Rose
Jackie Robinson
Cal Ripken Jr
Johhny Bench
Mel Ott
Hank Greenberg
Frank Robinson
Nap Lajoie
Eddie Collins
Reggie Jackson
Harmon Killerbrew
Joe Morgan

35 in total. You can make a case for several more (I might've missed some too). Then there's someone like Josh Gibson.

I'm having a tough time ranking pitchers v hitters but here's who I think is better than Jeter:

Walter Johnson
Roger Clemens
Pete Alexander
Christy Mathewson
Lefty Grove
Cy Young
Randy Johnson
Greg Maddux
Warren Spahn
Tom Seaver
Bob Feller
Pedro Martinez
Ed Walsh
Mordecai Brown
Sandy Koufax
Eddie Plank
Bob Gibson
Satchel Paige
Whitey Ford
Carl Hubbell

That's 20 pitchers. I dont see how Jeter lands in top-50 to be honest and I have been watching him for 10+ years.

Closed Thread