HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tre Kronor - Did times pass you by?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Tre Kronor?
Tre Kronor lacks relevance. Use the money elsewhere! 0 0%
Tre Kronor plays too many friendlies against the same teams. 9 50.00%
Tre Kronor is perfect as is. Don't mess with it! 2 11.11%
I don't care about identity. Send off some guys to represent whenever/wherever. 0 0%
I would like Tre Kronor to have a higher status than it has! 13 72.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Tre Kronor - Did times pass you by?

I'm wrestling with my thoughts on this, so I figured I post a poll and a thread to see how others feel.

When growing up, my firends and I were excited about watching any game when Tre Kronor was involved. It was a trade mark, a concept, a symbol... a team representing Sweden. We followed the guys, bought the collector books and stickers to complete the line ups, and some teams' identity was partly defined by the national team player/players they had in the line up. Tre Kronor was then a statement.

As of today, I question the role Tre Kronor plays in Swedish hockey and its attraction. Times have changed. Maybe it's not sold correctly, or maybe it's out of customers?

Looking over at Fotbolls Landslaget, it enjoyed a nice push for quite some time. What success they have had could be argued, but we did get to see them clear several qualifications into larger venues, which for Sweden isn't half bad. But, the one thing I experience with the soccer team, is that I know the core. I know the fringe players, and I have a fair idea of who the hopefulls are in the back of the line. I know it because most all of them come out from wherever they are to play if picked, friendlies or do-or-die doesn't matter. Zlatan is now the exception, but I also think we haven't heard the last on that.

Now, Tre Kronor doesn't have the luxuary of the soccer team. Tre Kronor simply doesn't have as many important games to play, to be harsh. We don't have to qualify into any large tournament, and the world of hockey isn't committed to sell hockey together globally, as the NHL and the IIHF can't seem to agree on a model, so we don't see teams and leagues shut down or reschedule games to free up the national team players of any given country to promote the international exchange.

I can hear the voices, "Hold on! What about the Olympics?!"

To the point of this long back drop, I view the olympics as irrelevant. The olympics are held every four years, and if a player can stay on top of his game for 12 years, great! He would then have appeared in the NT three times, with four years in between. It hardly qualifies as a team one "follows." It doesn't even qualify as a team in my book, and for the years in between, the team will never see that player again, so what happens to the identity of the national team?

Given the reality of the hockey world and its business, as well as what we seem to be heading towards, is Tre Kronor a dead label? What relevance does it fill today? Does it help sell hockey in Sweden? Does it have any other role today? Is it time to junk it and move on to club hockey once and for all (why spend money on something we don't care about)?

Feel free to contest any part of scenario I put forth and add your own thoghts and/or conclusions. I'm simply hoping to hear how you feel about Tre Kronor today.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:28 AM

I'm 18 years old, and I don't really have a connection to Tre Kronor anymore. Watching the Euro Hockey Tour games is just an endless snoozefest, it's just... boring. When I was a bit younger I used to watch pretty much every game Tre Kronor played in the World Championships, but that has also lost it's feel in my opinion to be honest. Something needs to be done, because we're only devaluing Tre Kronor.

I say that we get rid of the Euro Hockey Tour, play less friendlies, and just... Well, that's about it I guess. I feel that Tre Kronor should be something special, but it isn't anymore.

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Zam Boni

I guess at some point we are no longer 12 years old...

Seriously, at one point I knew every player on the polish national team. Nowadays I dont think I can name one polish hockey player.

Soccer has indeed had a love affair with the media thanks to the national teams success during the last 12 years and the extensive cover of the top european-leagues including Champions League.
But if the national team fails to qualify 2-3 upcoming championchisp and when Zlatan retires, will we see a decline in interest?

Secondly, Tre Kronor dress up to 70 players a year nowadays, long gone are the times when we had ONE group of elite players playing Izveztia, the worlds, Canada Cup and the Olympics.
But honestly, I rarely ever watch any Euro Hockey Tour games so I guess you have a valid point.
The Swedish Hockey Association wont do anything as long as Tre Kronor is profitable I guess, if they are?

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 05:08 PM
joe89

To be honest football friendlys are almost the same these days. Those tours to some countries you never hear about otherwise, with players from our bush league, are just as soulless as EHT tournaments with a bazillion of different players. Was a long time since such games interested me.

Nevertheless, Tre Kronor still has a meaning to me, that spells World Champs and Olympics. Perhaps they aren't always best-on-best tournies but at least they mean something and interest me. Obviously meant more being a kid, but that's natural, isn't it? Loosing Sundin and Forsberg will devaluate it a bit though to me, as those two are mainly the ones I think of and have the most pleasant memories with.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

I had a bit of a poll voting fail moment there, but anyhow..

There are too many friendlies.. I just wish they would try more kids in those games.

I love watching Tre Kronor. I believe it's Sweden's 'most beloved' international team still. But yeah, the Euro Hockey Tour isn't really that exciting.

If there's one team I'm tired to death of it's the football team.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Too many games sure.. but I'm mostly tired of watching the same old 4 teams. At least mix it up with Slovakia, Switzerland and Canada once in a while.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:01 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Too many games sure.. but I'm mostly tired of watching the same old 4 teams. At least mix it up with Slovakia, Switzerland and Canada once in a while.
Good idea. Why not meet Canada's Swiss/KHL/DEL team once in a while instead? It is utterly boring to meet the same three teams, with Russia having the head and shoulders best team on paper, over and overr again.. Not even the games vs. Finland have a meaning anymore, and it carries over to important games. I don't feel anything special meeting Finland nowadays, it's about the same as all other "top" countries.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
KRM

Would be nice to see some games spread out in the country, have Tre Kronor played a competitive game outside of Stockholm or Jönköping the last five years? Would be nice to see a game in Skellefteå, Leksand, Timrå, etc.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:06 AM
ukrleaf

I am a huge Sweden fan and though the tournaments may not even be relevant, every game I am able to see is a real event for me. I am not Swedish by any means but guys with three crowns on their jerseys always make me proud. They might lose but I will always respect them no matter what

ukrleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Hermit Wizard Eater

What exactly is Tre Kronor? (I know the literal definition, three crowns, I don't mean that)

I was under the impression that this was just the named used for any of the Swedish teams in international competition. (like the Olympics, etc)

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Crowns

In hockey there is only one Tre Kronor. The different U- teams are named "Junior crowns" or "Small Crowns" and there's the "Lady's crowns" for the women's hockey team.

There are Pizzerias, restaurants, other organizations and Tv-shows that use the name, so it's not just about hockey, although 99% of the Swedish population would think of hockey when they hear it.

Short answer is; It's an old war emblem

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkageNoKeri View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Crowns

In hockey there is only one Tre Kronor. The different U- teams are named "Junior crowns" or "Small Crowns" and there's the "Lady's crowns" for the women's hockey team.

There are Pizzerias, restaurants, other organizations and Tv-shows that use the name, so it's not just about hockey, although 99% of the Swedish population would think of hockey when they hear it.

Short answer is; It's an old war emblem
...and here I have been living with the idea that it symbolized the union of east and west gothia + svea kingdom.... which is pretty much how the representation of teams in the league is shaping up.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote