HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

next years Defense

Old
01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
jammyrft

vCash: 500
next years Defense

with Salo most likely not returning and Bieksa/Ehrhoff free agents next season what realistic moves do we make?

And not to forget big Shea Weber will be available next year as well..

So my question is, do we go hard for Weber and sign either 1 or Bieksa or Ehrhoff? do we just go for Weber and save cap space to sign more forwards? or do we resign both Bieksa and Ehrhoff and forget Weber?

my $0.02 would be in a perfect world would be to sign Weber and either 1 or bieksa or ehrhoff depending on who would take a discount/fair market value. Anyone have any thoughts on what might happen?

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:40 PM
TacitEndorsement

Weber has stated on TSN that he isn't going anywhere. I doubt he's a realistic option.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Peter Griffin

The only way the Canucks get Weber is they overpay in both salary and compensatory assets(4 1st round picks?) and I don't see them doing that. Looking at what's available, there isn't a whole lot out there. Andrei Markov is probably the best out there, but given his injury history and having spent his whole career thus far in the East I don't think he'll be heading out West to Vancouver.

I'd rather get Ehrhoff re-signed.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 07:49 PM
EskemoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I'd rather get Ehrhoff re-signed.
This

EskemoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 07:59 PM
sushi45

Weber was just made captain this season, I doubt hes going anywhere

- Erhoff resign. Most likely will get around 4.5-5 mil

- Bieska, if he continues to play well and into the playoffs resign him at around the same price (MG could probably get it a bit lower)

- Alberts, resign for around 1 mil

sushi45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja View Post
Weber has stated on TSN that he isn't going anywhere. I doubt he's a realistic option.
link? I am not surprised, just have not heard that he came out and stated that.

Canuckee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Bieksa has said in interviews that he'd take less money to stay here, he wants to play the rest of his career here so if Gillis wants him here, he'll likely be staying here.

Erhoff will cost around 4.5 to keep, I think Bieksa will stay here at around $3, re-sign Salo for around $1.5

Edler (3.25) + Erhoff (4.5) = 7.75
Hamhuis (4.5) + Bieksa (3) = 7.5
Ballard (4.2) + Salo (1.5) = 5.7
Alberts (1) = 1
All together is 21,950,000 on D

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi45 View Post
- Bieska, if he continues to play well and into the playoffs resign him at around the same price (MG could probably get it a bit lower)
Why would Bieksa sign for $3.5 million or less?

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:06 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Adding Weber isn't outlandish if he wants to come here.

I think Montador is a good option, as well.

I doubt Ehrhoff is retained. Or Salo.

I expect Ballard will be back and Bieksa. Edler is a given. Alberts and Rome seem probable.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:07 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Yeah, if there's a team that believes he can continue his fantastic play past this season, he could probably get 4.5 million

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Yeah, if there's a team that believes he can continue his fantastic play past this season, he could probably get 4.5 million
Bieksa said in an ESPN interview that he'd stay as a Canuck for the rest of his career as he has enough money and just wants to play here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Adding Weber isn't outlandish if he wants to come here.

I think Montador is a good option, as well.

I doubt Ehrhoff is retained. Or Salo.

I expect Ballard will be back and Bieksa. Edler is a given. Alberts and Rome seem probable.
I have a source that says Montador wants to be a Canuck but Gillis hasn't responded to his agent about needing a bottom pairing player for next year yet. I'm guessing he wants to promote from within the organization if he can before going out and signing new players from the outside.

Old
01-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Cogburn

We resign both, and if Weber makes it to free agency somehow, we can exceed the cap by a percentage until the beginning of the season, which means we can wheel and deal if need be. I don't see why we would think Weber will hit free agency, but there's no reason we can't get all three if they are interested in a contract with Vancouver.

Cogburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
We resign both, and if Weber makes it to free agency somehow, we can exceed the cap by a percentage until the beginning of the season, which means we can wheel and deal if need be. I don't see why we would think Weber will hit free agency, but there's no reason we can't get all three if they are interested in a contract with Vancouver.
Edler - Erhoff
Weber - Ballard
Hamhuis - Bieksa

Is there a puking due to defensive depth face? I think it's needed here.

Old
01-29-2011, 09:55 PM
crazyforhockey

Weber perfers solitude when not playing ......not really intrested in that aspect of Can hockey....would be very tough for Van,Mtl,Tor to get him.

the only way to sway him is the chance to win and team commited to cap ceiling,but again he likes it in Nashville...

Him and Sutter are both worried they wont both be resigned due to big raises due for elite dmen 6.5+....nas has cap room but there is the internal cap ceiling for nashville
probably closeto 50 mil and the yhave Cal Orielly -RFA,sergi kos.-rfa sullivan an ufa

as for canucks....

hamhuis,ballard
Edler,

rome
if bieksa signs for 3.0-3.5 would love Ehrhoff for reasonable money 4.5 not sure if he signs for that worth more but what do we need to add and stay comfortable under the cap ,Tanev?,Connauton?,Sauve?

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:05 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
but there's no reason we can't get all three if they are interested in a contract with Vancouver.
...other than Nashville matching any contracts for Weber, which is almost a guarantee. And about their internal cap crap, Nashville will do everything in their power to keep him and will do so unless Weber says otherwise.

Old
01-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Wetcoaster

In the Province Live Chat on Friday the consensus seemed to be Ehrhoff would be the first priority to sign and in that case Bieksa would likely be moved to a team for his negotiation rights as with Hamhuis last off-season. If Ehrhoff is too expensive then Bieksa becomes Plan B and Ehrhoff's rights would be traded.

Apparently Salo has indicated if he can come back from the Achilles problem and be 100% he would like to play one to two years more and Vancouver remains his first choice. A discount could get it done.

Tanev has apparently considered to be lock for next season and that means Rome (another year) or Alberts (UFA) could go. If Alberts looks to cash in then it is unlikely he would be re-signed

The wild card on the farm is Sauve who seems to have made full recovery and is soaking up lessons of being a shut down Dman from Claude Noel.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 01-29-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
In the Province Live Chat on Friday the consensus seemed to be Ehrhoff would be the first priority to sign and in that case Bieksa would likely be moved to a team for his negotiation rights as with Hamhuis last off-season. If Ehrhoff is too expensive then Bieksa becomes Plan B and Ehrhoff's rights would be traded.

Apparently Salo has indicated if he can come back from the Achilles problem and be 100% he would like to play one to two years more and Vancouver remains his first choice. A discount could get it done.

Tanev has apparently considered to be lock for next season and that means Rome (another year) or Alberts (UFA) could go. If Alberts looks to cash in then it is unlikely he would be re-signed

The wild card on the farm is Sauve who seems to have made full recovery and is soaking up lessons of being a shut down Dman from Claude Noel.
I think that Alberts would prefer a winning team but with the bottom pairing guys you never know. They've got little to no job security. If Alberts was offered 2 years at $1mil each I think he would take that. I hope Gillis does as he looks very good on our blueline this year and I'd hate to see him go now.

Old
01-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

If Ehrhoff is asking for to much, I'd like to go after Markov or Pitkanen.

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:25 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
...other than Nashville matching any contracts for Weber, which is almost a guarantee. And about their internal cap crap, Nashville will do everything in their power to keep him and will do so unless Weber says otherwise.
other than nashville is still having cash proplems so they cant afford to spend 6.5+ for both Sutter and Weber.and still field an offensive core.....teams who want Weber might have to offer sheeet big money for a number of years.....Nas can just accept the offer sheet terms or receives the next 4 1st round picks.......will be intresting if a team will offer sheet in the hope Nas takes it and pursue Sutter next year

Quote:

And westcoaster brings up the other scenario that will be happening for the forseeable future........good young prospects that can come up and play with the big club.....so we may need to be keeping a space every year to groom those young guns on our back end...

Old
01-29-2011, 10:30 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Great to hear. I don't think Tanev is a lock for next season just yet. My guess is he'll have to fight it out with Sauve for the #6 role, with Tanev obviously having the inside track as of right now, as I can't imagine that we'd carry two rookie d-men in our top-6.

Edler - Ehrhoff/Bieksa
Hamhuis - Ballard
Alberts/Salo - Tanev/Sauve
Rome

That's my guess for our top-6 next season.

Old
01-29-2011, 10:38 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
other than nashville is still having cash proplems so they cant afford to spend 6.5+ for both Sutter and Weber.and still field an offensive core.....teams who want Weber might have to offer sheeet big money for a number of years.....Nas can just accept the offer sheet terms or receives the next 4 1st round picks.......will be intresting if a team will offer sheet in the hope Nas takes it and pursue Sutter next year
Uhh yeah they can afford to keep both Suter and Weber and they should.

If the Canucks were in financial trouble, and they (theoretically) couldn't afford to keep Edler with their current contract structure, wouldn't you rather we get rid of Raymond who makes 2.5 million to make room to keep Edler? Even if we (theoretically) needed wingers more than we do defenseman, it still makes a hell of a lot more sense to keep Edler over Raymond.

Old
01-29-2011, 10:39 PM
alternate

Ehrhoff needs to be re-signed. he's way too important to our PP to let him walk, assuming he's not asking for anything ridiculous (up to $5m, okay. more than that, got to let him go).

if Ehrhoff is back, no way Bieksa is. even if Ehrhoff isn't, not sure if Bieksa would get re-signed.

Alberts, all depends on price. Rome might not finish the season here, never mind next year. If Salo will sign for less than $2m, I'd love to have him back. More than that though, he's not worth it because he misses too much time.

we need to leave a spot open for internal promotion as well. At this point, Tanev is the front runner, but that's still a long way away.

I'm expecting this to be our top 6 next year:

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Ballard
Alberts-Tanev

alternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Great to hear. I don't think Tanev is a lock for next season just yet. My guess is he'll have to fight it out with Sauve for the #6 role, with Tanev obviously having the inside track as of right now, as I can't imagine that we'd carry two rookie d-men in our top-6.

Edler - Ehrhoff/Bieksa
Hamhuis - Ballard
Alberts/Salo - Tanev/Sauve
Rome

That's my guess for our top-6 next season.
Ryan Parent may also be in the mix assuming he can shake the injury bug and get back even close to where he was predicted to be.

He already has 106 regular and 27 post-season games on his resume.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:52 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Uhh yeah they can afford to keep both Suter and Weber and they should.

If the Canucks were in financial trouble, and they (theoretically) couldn't afford to keep Edler with their current contract structure, wouldn't you rather we get rid of Raymond who makes 2.5 million to make room to keep Edler? Even if we (theoretically) needed wingers more than we do defenseman, it still makes a hell of a lot more sense to keep Edler over Raymond.
they may do that but nas is already a lower scoring team...25th in the league and only Edm in the west is lower....as where we are still a top scoring team without raymond.

Nas does have a lot of very good prospects that can come and play...so they can sign both big dmen and replace their third and 4th dmen for cheaper prospects as time goes by......

as for the internal cap ceiling for Nas ---even with a ceiling of 50 mil .they may still be losing money

Old
01-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Stanley as in Cup

I don't see much of a shake up. #7 will likely be one of the young guys and other than that only bieksa or ehrhoff will be retained and maybe salo if cheap. Nice thing is that our forwards are pretty close to set at good prices so our D doesn't have to cut salary

Stanley as in Cup is offline   Reply With Quote