HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign D Lee Sweatt

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2010, 05:01 PM
lush
@jasonlush

vCash: 500
Looking at his career it seems he basically signed out of College (not sure who the Rampage's NHL counterpart is/was in 2007) after his college season ended and then went to the AHL (just like Schroeder is now). But then after 11 games (none playoffs either) his season was done, and then for whatever reason he signed in Europe after. I wonder if he appeared not cut out for the AHL, or just wanted to play in Europe, or, or, or. But he's been over there ever since putting up respectable numbers.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

Brian Rafalski 2.0?

Old
03-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Free Kassian

A guy like Sweatt is a star in Europe, he wouldn't sign here to ride buses with the Moose. This can't be a Manitoba-only signing.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:05 PM
canada1824

Send a message via Skype™ to canada1824
This guy always gets ****ing Norris trophies in NHL10

then again, they had Grabner getting 40+ goals....

Old
03-31-2010, 05:06 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
A guy like Sweatt is a star in Europe, he wouldn't sign here to ride buses with the Moose. This can't be a Manitoba-only signing.
You could have said the same about Krog really.

When Krog signed here, we had huge question marks in our top 6. He chose this contract because of the opportunity associated with it. Next year we're not going to have 6 all star defensemen, so I'm sure it was the same lure Gillis used albeit at a different position to sign this guy.

I think the difference here is that we all assume the guy simply won't make the Canucks this fall. But hey, stranger things have happened I guess.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:07 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Looking at his career it seems he basically signed out of College (not sure who the Rampage's NHL counterpart is/was in 2007) after his college season ended and then went to the AHL (just like Schroeder is now). But then after 11 games (none playoffs either) his season was done, and then for whatever reason he signed in Europe after. I wonder if he appeared not cut out for the AHL, or just wanted to play in Europe, or, or, or. But he's been over there ever since putting up respectable numbers.
San Antonio is/was Phoenix's farm club.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I imagine he was making a lot more money in Europe than he would have in the AHL. With no NHL contract there wasn't much incentive for him to stick around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Brian Rafalski 2.0?
All joking aside, his numbers in the FNL do compare pretty favourably to Rafalski's (he's about the same size too). Obviously I'm not saying he's going to turn into Brian Rafalski but the numbers are certainly a positive sign.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
ziploc

So now we have Sweatt AND Funk on the Moose? All we need is to bring Darren Puppa and Joe Reekie out of retirement and we complete the set.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
DreamCatcher*

Lee Sweatt also had 16 points in 21 games which means he was on pace for 41 points over 55 games. That would make him the leading scorer of defenceman in the SM-Liiga in Finland.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:17 PM
digger18

He will fit right in with all the other munchkins in our prospect cupboard.

In 5 years our lineup is going to look like the Montreal Canadiens.

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I imagine he was making a lot more money in Europe than he would have in the AHL. With no NHL contract there wasn't much incentive for him to stick around here.

All joking aside, his numbers in the FNL do compare pretty favourably to Rafalski's (he's about the same size too). Obviously I'm not saying he's going to turn into Brian Rafalski but the numbers are certainly a positive sign.
His numbers in the FNL are actually better than Timonen's at the same age also... same team too in TPS Turku, and both are almost identical in size. Hopefully Sweatt thinks the game nearly as well.

Old
Tiranis

Look at those legs! He's probably impossible to knock over. (Also, looks almost as square as Barry Trotz.)

Old
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
LongRoad

At his age and with his career he's probably got a decent bank account and wants to try and get another shot at the NHL. I could see this being an almost purely Moose move from the Canucks stand point but a swing for the fences from Sweatt's. A couple years from now I doubt anyone would even consider bringing him up from the farm as an undersized, rookie defenseman. From his perspective this is likely his last chance.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:23 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansPost View Post
At his age and with his career he's probably got a decent bank account and wants to try and get another shot at the NHL. I could see this being a purely Moose move from the Canucks stand point but a swing for the fences from Sweatt's.
Well it is the most marketable time of his career coming up age 25-30... right when d-men START rounding into form.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Lee Sweatt also had 16 points in 21 games which means he was on pace for 41 points over 55 games. That would make him the leading scorer of defenceman in the SM-Liiga in Finland.
He also had 33 points in 56 games in 07/08, good for second on his team in scoring. Despite playing on such a low scoring team that put him fifth in scoring for defencemen.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:29 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Well it is the most marketable time of his career coming up age 25-30... right when d-men START rounding into form.
Right but you don't see a lot of guys with the question marks that he'd be carrying breaking into the NHL at that age. Is he forgoing a lot of potential earnings in Europe? No doubt. But if he's gunning for the NHL he really couldn't wait much longer to go for it. Stigma plays a big role in who gets called up and who doesn't.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:30 PM
bottomlesspop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
So now we have Sweatt AND Funk on the Moose? All we need is to bring Darren Puppa and Joe Reekie out of retirement and we complete the set.
hilarious! props.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:37 PM
timw33

Cool beans.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
pitseleh

For what it's worth, Gabe Desjardins's NHLE's peg Sweatt as a 34 point defenceman in the NHL. He's probably getting big minutes in Finland, so it's more likely that he underperforms his projection, but that's not bad.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Wayne Maki

Who is the last sub 5'10 impact defenceman? His numbers and conditioning seem impressive enough, but his height is a large obstacle. Are we hoping he is the next Bouillon?

Old
03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
illogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Brian Rafalski 2.0?
Or Cory Murphy 2.0

Old
03-31-2010, 05:58 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
Who is the last sub 5'10 impact defenceman? His numbers and conditioning seem impressive enough, but his height is a large obstacle. Are we hoping he is the next Bouillon?
For what it's worth, Elite Prospects has him at 5'9 and I'm guessing that's more up to date than his hockeydb number. He is basically the same size as Rafalski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic View Post
Or Cory Murphy 2.0
I know you were likely kidding but Murphy's not a great comparable - he didn't start tearing up the FNL until he was 25. Sweatt's coming off a couple of great years at 22 and 24.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
Maybe not "impact" but aside frou Bouilloun, Kris Russell, Trevor Daley, Freddy Meyer, Jack Hillen, Brian Rafalski and Alex Goligoski come to mind as undersized defenceman succeeding in the NHL. We'll have to see just how small he really is.

Old
03-31-2010, 06:02 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNashEquilibrium View Post
Very ballsy move there by the Canucks.
Made me think of this:

Old
03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Kid Canuck*

Article: A case of tough love Lee Sweatt learned to get tough by skating into a punching bag. Now he can dish it out and take it.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-2765261.html

The first "player" Colorado College's Lee Sweatt defended against was a giant.

"We got a huge boxing bag in the basement when I was little," Sweatt said, putting his arms out in front of him to demonstrate its girth. "My dad would swing the bag back and forth and I would skate into it and try to hit it.

"My dad was a linebacker in football, and he told me that at (defense), you can control the game more than at forward. You can stop them, the onus is on you, it's kind of like a quarterback. You start the play, break it out."

But Sweatt is no longer a 9-year-old kid on roller skates, dodging the bag in his basement. Instead the shifty sophomore hits opponents when …

Closed Thread