HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign D Lee Sweatt

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Made me think of this:

LOL....thats exactly what I was thinking too.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
This dude is a small d-man... puts up a lot of points, 24 years old...

That photo disturbs me.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Kid Canuck*

http://cchockey.freedomblogging.com/...ry/lee-sweatt/

With his most recent team in Finland TPS Turku

Old
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
He will fit right in with all the other munchkins in our prospect cupboard.

In 5 years our lineup is going to look like the Montreal Canadiens.
It's to do with the new headshot rules. Gillis is going to build a team so short nobody can hit any of them without getting penalised for a head shot.

Last edited by me2: 03-31-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old
03-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Kid Canuck*

This is a confirmed rumor, not a confirmed signing.

http://translate.google.ca/translate...&sl=auto&tl=en

• Waived rumors:
Anders Lindbäck , Timrå. Anders Lindbäck, Timrå.
Rundqvist: Jag tror inte vi ska lägga för mycket kraft på honom, jag tror han redan är förlorad till NHL. Rundqvist: I do not think we should put too much force on him, I think he already lost to the NHL.
Lee Sweatt , TPS Åbo. Lee Sweatt, TPS Turku.
Rundqvist: Han har skrivit på för Vancouver i NHL. Rundqvist: He has signed for Vancouver in the NHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11477

03/31/2010 Rumour TPS Vancouver Canucks

Old
03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
It's to do with the new headshot rules. Gillis is going to build a team so shot nobody can hit any of them without getting penalised for a head shot.
Reverse Pronger physics. I like it.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Awesomesauce

I wouldn't be suprised if he contacted the Canucks. It would seem to fit.

1. He wants to take another shot at the NHL (his last shot probably).

2. The Canucks are shallow on defense but a great team that could make some noise.

3. The Canucks will definitive be looking for cheap defensemen players who can play above their pay grade considering their forward depth.

4. Canucks management clearly doesn't have a bias against smaller players.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
For what it's worth, Gabe Desjardins's NHLE's peg Sweatt as a 34 point defenceman in the NHL. He's probably getting big minutes in Finland, so it's more likely that he underperforms his projection, but that's not bad.
Actually, my understanding of NHLE is that it projects scoring without assuming similar role and ice-time (given the stat is basically an average of the scoring ratios across all players that have made this jump and most of these are top players in lower leagues moving to reduced roles in the NHL the next season). See comment #1 here.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
taipale*

Currently playing for HC TPS in the playoffs, 1+2 in two games as they beat down Lukko 5-0.. Lukko was the leading team for almost the entire season and TPS are total underdogs in this, so that's quite something. Two other foreigners kicking a** at the moment for us are Tomas Plihal and Michal Birner..

Will not tolerate this signing rumour, at least til we have won the FEL! Sweatt is so needed here.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:49 PM
DreamCatcher*

Sweatt can dish monster hits

Old
03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Don't know anything about this guy, but if he's a physical player, could he be the Alberts/SOB replacement?

Old
03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
DreamCatcher*

If anyone is interested in his player profile, you can find it here: http://www.sm-liiga.fi/pelaajat/09-1...weatt-lee.html

According to the site, he averages 26 mins a game.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Looks like he has fairly solid wheels from the two clips in this thread; good closing speed along the boards with that hit, and he showed some good acceleration on the goal on page 1.

Still a freaking random signing.

Old
03-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
3 pages on Lee Sweat??? Wow

Old
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsonStreet View Post
Actually, my understanding of NHLE is that it projects scoring without assuming similar role and ice-time (given the stat is basically an average of the scoring ratios across all players that have made this jump and most of these are top players in lower leagues moving to reduced roles in the NHL the next season). See comment #1 here.
That's right, but within any given group of players coming over from another league, some will play a bigger role in the NHL while others will play a smaller role relative to their role in their old league (and vice versa) so the NHLE will be an average of the different roles. For example, Nicklas Backstrom coming over to play on a first line with Ovechkin will likely outperform his NHLE while Rickard Wallin coming over to play on the Leafs fourth line will generally underperform. If Sweatt makes the NHL, he'll probably have a bigger change in role than an average player (I might be wrong on that though).

Old
03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
ahmon

rafalski is likely a pipedream, maybe another ian white?

he looks shorter than either in that picture.

Old
03-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Velociraptor

Signing's unheard of outside of the links you posted, also if and when does he go to Vancouver.

Old
03-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
That's right, but within any given group of players coming over from another league, some will play a bigger role in the NHL while others will play a smaller role relative to their role in their old league (and vice versa) so the NHLE will be an average of the different roles. For example, Nicklas Backstrom coming over to play on a first line with Ovechkin will likely outperform his NHLE while Rickard Wallin coming over to play on the Leafs fourth line will generally underperform. If Sweatt makes the NHL, he'll probably have a bigger change in role than an average player (I might be wrong on that though).
His KHL numbers from earlier this year, when he was in Riga playing behind what's left of Sandis Ozolinsh, might be a better indication of what he'd do with the icetime and role he'd likely get in the NHL - those work out to a 12-point 82-game NHL equivalent.

Old
03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

His college production, size, age, and numbers in Finland are very similar to Brian Rafalski's.

Rafalski, also 5'9" and 200 pounds, didn't debut with the Devils until he was 26. Sweatt turns 25 in August.

Old
03-31-2010, 07:14 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Sweatt can dish monster hits

Boarding major if I ever saw one.

Old
03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
taipale*

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana phone View Post
His college production, size, age, and numbers in Finland are very similar to Brian Rafalski's.

Rafalski, also 5'9" and 200 pounds, didn't debut with the Devils until he was 26. Sweatt turns 25 in August.
Sweatt is known for his offensive skills, and has been an anchor or TPS, but let's not compare him to Rafalski just yet.. who was selected as the league's best dman twice and once the best overall player. Sweatt is considered a threat and kind of dominating in FEL, but not THAT dominating.

Old
03-31-2010, 07:20 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipale View Post
Sweatt is known for his offensive skills, and has been an anchor or TPS, but let's not compare him to Rafalski just yet.. who was selected as the league's best dman twice and once the best overall player. Sweatt is considered a threat and kind of dominating in FEL, but not THAT dominating.
Yeah, the +/- numbers back that up too. Rafalski played on better teams but was also the best player on his team in terms of +/- and was presumably playing against tough competition. Sweatt's played on worse teams but he's also been average to below average on his own team in terms of +/-. He definitely hasn't dominated to nearly the same extent.

Old
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Anonymous User

He is an enigmatic signing, but they definately need more d-men in their prospect cupboard. Too bad they couldn't get any FA's from college, making me question Syml's ablility as a scout.

Old
03-31-2010, 08:01 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Can't be any worse than some of the guys on the Moose.
First thought that came to mind was how he could help the Moose, who seem to not be able to generate a lot of offense on a consistent basis. If his avg ice time is correct, he could be an anchor on the Moose's backend. And by my calculation, he does not count as a Vet in the AHL, but has a lot of experience, so that will be helpful.

As i said in other threads, i really like these signings because of the low risk and high reward potential. Worst case is that the nucks/moose pay him an AHL salary; Best case is that he can develop into an NHL impact player, with the potential to become a Mike Weaver to Rafalski/Timonen player. Interesting signing, but it is still considered a rumour on Eliteprospects.

The first picture makes him look extremely built, but it may be my depth perception that makes him look very short as well.

Old
03-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Hopefully he gets bieksa's pp time

Closed Thread