HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames flame wings in OT

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 08:16 AM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Flames flame wings in OT

well, looks like the mighty wings are done for. I'd love to see a lightning vs flames final.

Old
05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050

Old
05-04-2004, 10:43 AM
PredDave

I was THRILLED to see the Wings suffer defeat last night!

It really made my day!!!

Here's to a Sharks vs. Lightning final...

Old
05-04-2004, 10:50 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
well, looks like the mighty wings are done for. I'd love to see a lightning vs flames final.

Nah, I'd rather have Lightning vs. Anyone other than the Flames. I still haven't forgotten Sutter's classless move against us. It was bush league, and I'm not cheering for someone like that. Against the Wings, I didn't really care who won as long as someone lost. But now that the Wings are out, Go everyone else!

Old
05-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Nah, I'd rather have Lightning vs. Anyone other than the Flames. I still haven't forgotten Sutter's classless move against us. It was bush league, and I'm not cheering for someone like that. Against the Wings, I didn't really care who won as long as someone lost. But now that the Wings are out, Go everyone else!
I agree. The Flames are the dirtiest team in the league, ATM and that will only increase when Simon gets back. I hate watching them, and I get sick of listenting to their idiot fans cheer as a player blatantly breaks the rules. Flame fans = mob mentality. It makes for a good atmosphere, but that is about it.

Yes I'm bitter. I never liked the dead things, but watching them get beat last night by the player who just ran the goaltender seconds before was less than impressive.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:27 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I hate both teams. As much as I wanted to see Calgary lose, it was with some joy that I listened to Steve Levy say, "And the Wings are done!"

I still believe that a coach should not be able to win "coach of the year" when his coaching gets him suspended during the season, no matter how well he may have done otherwise.

Old
05-05-2004, 08:30 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I agree that sutter is pretty classless and I don't care very much for those goons oliwa or simon either, but I really don't "hate" the flames. I'd much rather see them succeed than the wings, though. The wings 2003-2004 season slogan:

"You can't buy a cup, you have to earn it."

Old
05-05-2004, 10:55 AM
HellsBells

Ahh, don't be so bitter.

The Preds never act bush league I suppose.

I can handle other fans calling the Flames "cheap" when their team is also very cheap and not nearly as good as the Flames. It would be like Penguins fans calling Nashville cheap.

Western Conference Final

Old
05-05-2004, 10:59 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I agree. The Flames are the dirtiest team in the league, ATM and that will only increase when Simon gets back. I hate watching them, and I get sick of listenting to their idiot fans cheer as a player blatantly breaks the rules. Flame fans = mob mentality. It makes for a good atmosphere, but that is about it.

Yes I'm bitter. I never liked the dead things, but watching them get beat last night by the player who just ran the goaltender seconds before was less than impressive.
Tissue ??

How about some facts to back that up. The Flames have the most fighting majors, that hardly makes them the cheapest. They are nowhere near the top of the NHL in high-stick, spear, slash penalties. Where do you get this ?? From one game a few months ago. GET OVER IT.

If anything, the Preds are a dirtier team than Calgary.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So Calgary is that much better than Nashville? Like the difference between Nashville and Pittsburg?

Old
05-05-2004, 11:13 AM
transplant99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch

Boo Hoo.
Maybe you should start watching figure skating since rough and tumble hockey is such a problem for you.

Unreal.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
So Calgary is that much better than Nashville? Like the difference between Nashville and Pittsburg?
I admit, not a good comparison.

The difference between the Preds and the Ducks is a better comparison.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Whether you want to admit it or not, the Flames and the Predators are pretty even. You have an edge in defense and in size, we have the edge in speed and scoring. We need to get more physical and you guys need more secondary scoring. The difference between us v. DRW, was a bounce or two, we clearly outplayed them the first 4 games, they outplayed us in 2 games, just like in your series, but the first two games we didn't finish, we didn't win, you guys did, congrats, I was cheering for you. The other diffrerence goes back to size, you guys have the size to fight through the trap more than we can and this series showed it. Both teams work extremely hard and have really good defensive systems, both teams can forecheck with the best of them. You guys have Ville we have Tootoo. You guys have Iggy though and we can't counter that yet, but we do have Walker, Sullivan and Zidlicky.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:05 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Whether you want to admit it or not, the Flames and the Predators are pretty even. You have an edge in defense and in size, we have the edge in speed and scoring. We need to get more physical and you guys need more secondary scoring. The difference between us v. DRW, was a bounce or two, we clearly outplayed them the first 4 games, they outplayed us in 2 games, just like in your series, but the first two games we didn't finish, we didn't win, you guys did, congrats, I was cheering for you. The other diffrerence goes back to size, you guys have the size to fight through the trap more than we can and this series showed it. Both teams work extremely hard and have really good defensive systems, both teams can forecheck with the best of them. You guys have Ville we have Tootoo. You guys have Iggy though and we can't counter that yet, but we do have Walker, Sullivan and Zidlicky.
I agree, there is not much difference. With Reinprecht & McAmmond back in, our offense improves that much. I would say that if both teams had 100% healthy lineups:

Forward - Even
Defence - Edge Flames
Goaltending - Slight Edge Flames
Coaching - Edge Flames

Not a big edge in D or C, but an edge nonetheless IMO.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I don't believe your goaltending is any better. I think Vokoun with the Flames would be in the same position your in now. Kipper is good, but not better...I might say they are equal.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'f Kipper could stay healthy I'd give him the edge, as it is though, I'd give Vokoun the edge, for the simple fact he's healthy more, talent wise Kipper might have the edge.

Offensively I believe we have the edge, when you factor in Hamhuis would be there best offensive defenseman and he's our third best.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:32 PM
crossxcheck

we've argued this 1,000 times about the bush league crap sutter pulled, and everyone knows how we preds fans feel. No need in bickering over it. I'm happy the flames beat the wings and like I said with the exception of a few knuckleheads, I have nothing against the flames.

I'd also agree that we have a better offensive squad than the flames, but maybe I'm being a homer

2003-2004 regular season:

calgary: 200 GF
nashville: 216 GF

I'd also say that considering the defense in front of vokoun, he has a slight edge.

Old
05-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

No, I don't need a tissue. I don't like the Flames style of play, and it is in no way comprable to the Predators interms of dirty/cheap play. Calgary is more physical than we are, while their approach to fighting is very similar to Nashvilles. Fighting does not equate dirty play. It can mean sticking up for teammates, taking responsiblity for a big hit, etc. Like I said, the Flames and Preds stance on fighting is about the same, however, there are differences in the style of play. The Preds aren't saints....I never made them out to be. Still, we certainly have not stooped to the lows Calgary has this year. We don't have a Niemenen deliberately running the goaltender, and our team doesn't blatantly go out of their way to cheap-shot players a la Calgary. Watching Game 6 against Detroit, was classic Calgary hockey. They are a team built for the playoffs because their rough game excels when the officials swallow the whistle. I gave an example of the Flames knocking Cujo down, and then moments later scoring the GWG (Gelinas did both). And how about Commodore, standing 3-4 feet away from the linesman going over and cross-checking Hatcher down well after the whistle.....while the crowd went nuts. Sure Hatcher deserved it, but the Flames play was not just in reciprocation to what the Wings were handing them. Its their style. Their rough, dirty, and could care less whether or not you like it. Adding Simon & Niemenen just reinforced that, not to mention the off-season deal for Wharrener. So again, I'm not crying because frankly I was pulling for the Flames to beat the dead things (Detroit is my least favorite team in the league)....but this doesn't mean I have to be blind to the illegal activity that they do on a consistent basis.

As for teams strength:

Offense - edge Predators (slightly)
Defense - edge Flames (much bigger difference in the top 6....although the Preds have a lot more depth)
Goaltending - Equal Vokoun and Kipper are both impressive goalies with the ability to steal games.

Overall Edge: None. The two teams match up very well against each other, and I couldn't say which team overall is the better team. If we met in the playoffs and I had to give an advantage, I would give the edge to Calgary (maybe 7? maybe not) b/c of their rough game and our small centers......

Old
05-05-2004, 09:30 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I think Sutter's move was bush league. But I think Calgary is better. I think they do things like the Preds (physical, defensive-minded, opportunistic, great goaltending) except they do it just a touch better. I think we have more offense, but the Flames are much better positionally; they are bigger, and they hit more. Our forwards are the ones who dish it out; it's their Dmen who do most of the hitting. They were able to pound the weaker Wings and expose the injuries to Hull and Lang because of it. They were able to nullify players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg because neither can handle what Calgary brings.

Look at it this way, we physically whooped players like Chelios and the Flames finished them off. Would I rather be in the Flames shoes? Oh hell yes, but it wasn't meant to be. In the playoffs, you need a touch of luck and we didn't have it like winning teams do. Winning teams have the puck sneak past the goalie and then trickle wide. Losing teams have the puck bounce of the endboards, hit the goalie and go in for the game winner.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:58 PM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I think Sutter's move was bush league. But I think Calgary is better. I think they do things like the Preds (physical, defensive-minded, opportunistic, great goaltending) except they do it just a touch better. I think we have more offense, but the Flames are much better positionally; they are bigger, and they hit more. Our forwards are the ones who dish it out; it's their Dmen who do most of the hitting. They were able to pound the weaker Wings and expose the injuries to Hull and Lang because of it. They were able to nullify players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg because neither can handle what Calgary brings.

Look at it this way, we physically whooped players like Chelios and the Flames finished them off. Would I rather be in the Flames shoes? Oh hell yes, but it wasn't meant to be. In the playoffs, you need a touch of luck and we didn't have it like winning teams do. Winning teams have the puck sneak past the goalie and then trickle wide. Losing teams have the puck bounce of the endboards, hit the goalie and go in for the game winner.

agreed.

Closed Thread