HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game three minutes ago

Old
03-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
For all the negative comments made on this board about Cole, I think you all have to acknowledge how incredibly strong he is. Did you see when he took down Markov? I mean, he had his stick lightly around Markov's hands and yet Cole was able to body slam Markov down.

Wow..incredible strength. Markov is a big dude and a simple light touch by Cole and he was able to take him down. Good thing they got Cole to the penalty box before he could really do some damage.

Incredible.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:13 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
For all the negative comments made on this board about Cole, I think you all have to acknowledge how incredibly strong he is. Did you see when he took down Markov? I mean, he had his stick lightly around Markov's hands and yet Cole was able to body slam Markov down.

Wow..incredible strength. Markov is a big dude and a simple light touch by Cole and he was able to take him down. Good thing they got Cole to the penalty box before he could really do some damage.

Incredible.
Yeah I definitely agree. I'm also glad to see him making a real impact over the past few games, and now with the points coming more regularly as well. I'm optimisitic about next season and Cole's part in it.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
How can we criticize the players for lack of motivation when we as fans can't motivate ourselves to care?
I don't think it's that black and white Chuck.

1) They are highly trained athletes and playing hockey is what they get paid to do.

2) We (as fans) pay them indirectly via tickets, merchandise, etc..

3) We (as fans) have other things that compete for our free time (our Jobs/School, our homes, cars, family, other activities, etc..).

As a fan, I am under no obligation to be motivated when the team is poor. I spend my free time (and money) on things that I enjoy and that give me enjoyment. I am not a fair weather fan as I do support them no matter what, but I may not watch them on TV as much or follow them in the news as much if they aren't doing well.

On the other hand, the Canes are being paid to play hockey and although not spelled out, it is expected that they do it in a motivated and competitive manner.

We can easily criticize them for being un-motivated based on this (even if we aren't motivated to do GDTs).

Old
03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
We can easily criticize them for being un-motivated based on this (even if we aren't motivated to do GDTs).
I suppose...yeah I see what you're saying.

Old
03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Damn. This team will finish firmly in no-man's land. There's no way around it.

But, the silver lining is that, although they won't make the playoffs or get a great draft pick, the younger players really stepped up big time this season, so there is still a lot to look forward to for next season.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

honestly, i firmly believe that, regardless of where they finish, they have the assets to trade up with a team, if one would take a trade, if it meant they could get a top 5 pick....even if they were to finish somewhere between 5 and 10. of course, if they end up 6th, i doubt they trade up. but still.......you never know with all they got at the deadline

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:40 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
honestly, i firmly believe that, regardless of where they finish, they have the assets to trade up with a team, if one would take a trade, if it meant they could get a top 5 pick....even if they were to finish somewhere between 5 and 10. of course, if they end up 6th, i doubt they trade up. but still.......you never know with all they got at the deadline
We'd have to give up too much. I say don't do it.

Old
03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I have faith that Carolina will get whatever player they want outside the Top 3 either via trade or via position. They're going to get their man from this class, we just have to hope it's the right one.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I agree that they can trade up (if there is a willing partner)....but they may not need to. Unless they get a 1-3 pick, I think they can get a very good player in the 4-8 range this year and don't need to trade assets/picks just to move up a couple of slots. If they do finish 10 or higher..then they may want to try and trade up.

I agree with ikani87 about the silver lining. As these kids get more games under their belts, you can see the confidence growing. Boychuk for instance looks much better and more comfortable now than he did early on. I am starting to notice him even if he isn't scoring. I actually noticed Bowman tonight also. They will make mistakes (such as some of the turn-overs the defensemen were making), but it is better to learn from those mistakes now vs. the next 2 years.

Old
03-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH_-QRVHBT4

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I have faith that Carolina will get whatever player they want outside the Top 3 either via trade or via position. They're going to get their man from this class, we just have to hope it's the right one.
Quote:
I agree that they can trade up (if there is a willing partner)....but they may not need to. Unless they get a 1-3 pick, I think they can get a very good player in the 4-8 range this year and don't need to trade assets/picks just to move up a couple of slots. If they do finish 10 or higher..then they may want to try and trade up.
Well, they could, sadly, end up out of the top 10 picks, if they continue to win moving toward the end of the season. if that happens, i highly expect them to trade up, and I sure hope they would. lower than that, if they dont get one of Hall/Gudbranson/Gormley/Seguin/Fowler......they better get Niedereiter. If he is available and they pass on him.....i will be ticked.

I have really high hopes for this draft....as I know all of you do. I sure hope we dont screw this up.

Old
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
For the record, it's pretty funny that Bowman does jack squat in five games and then gets powerplay time and Samson comes up and gets garbage minutes. This prospect stereotyping has to end. Earn your ice. Bowman needs to go back down, obviously, and putting him on the powerplay when he's invisible at even strength is sending a bad message.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
For the record, it's pretty funny that Bowman does jack squat in five games and then gets powerplay time and Samson comes up and gets garbage minutes. This prospect stereotyping has to end. Earn your ice. Bowman needs to go back down, obviously, and putting him on the powerplay when he's invisible at even strength is sending a bad message.
I know Boychuk is up in the top 6 because he did his time in the bottom 6, but maybe we should give Bowman, or whoever else we have up here, a shot in the same positions, for the same reason we have brought them up in the first place, as basically an early audition for next year.

Old
03-31-2010, 10:36 PM
totalkev

Quote:

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

We suck at sucking... ugh

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

what were the lines and d-pairings like tonight, i guess for the majority of the time? also, the PP/PK units please.

Old
03-31-2010, 11:57 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

There is almost no chance that Carolina falls outside the top 6, let alone the top 10 of draft position.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Gr8Dan

I just want one of the top defenseman in the draft. Fowler/Gormley/Gudbranson. We already have enough forwards coming up in the AHL, (Dalpe, Samson, Osala, Tlusty) there wouldn't be enough space at forward. The top rated D men look to be nhl ready for next year, we are weak at D the most.

Pitkanen - Mcbain
Fowler/Gormley/Gudbranson - Gleason
Carson - Picard

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
At this point in time it looks like we'll atleast be in the top 6, I'd say. We're going to miss out on the top 3 in my opinion, so cross Hall, Seguin & Fowler off. We stand a chance at any one of Gormley, Gudbranson, Niederreiter or Watson if we place 4-6. That's my best, most obvious, guess. As of right now I'm just at the point of letting the chips fall as it looks like our odds fall in the 4-6 range. Any one of Gormley, Gudbranson, Niederreiter or Watson could be just as good as the other and outside the big 3 based on what we know today, any one of these guys adds a solid building block to our foundation.

Either one of Gormley or Gudbranson helps solidify our defence in the coming years especially if we can keep the Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain & Carson core together. We may just have a solid defence. Neiderreiter is the big, scoring power forward this organization hoped Ladd would be but Niederreiter seems to have that natural talent and flash Ladd doesn't possess. Watson is Jordan Staal version 2.0 (almost eye for eye minus size) and an absolute shot blocking machine. The kid eats pucks for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I swear and kid you not. I have never in all my years seen a kid in junior nor an NHL forward or defenceman block so many shots. Its scary and in all honesty as good of a fearless trait it is, its scary in the fact he could end up very injury plaqued.

I'm excited to get this draft underway. However, its just short of 3 months away. Ugh.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yah but he is drafted and has a nice shot. Nevermind the undrafted kid who adapted to the AHL game with relative ease and scored 20+ goals from the get-go at the age of 19-21 in consecutive seasons only to then continue his development to a damn close 40/40, 80 point season at 21-22 years old. The kid Albany fans say 'every time he's on the ice he makes things happen'. Nah, that kid doesn't stand a chance. But man that somewhat lazy (going by his AHL observers here), I'll show up when I see fit, maybe float a bit here and there, former 3rd round pick, I have a nice shot, kid deserves the opportunity. Status is everything, here in Hollywood, you know.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Ill admit the only kid I have seen is Niedereiter, but maybe thats why i like him so much lol. you have a good point about the stock of forwards in the AHL, but a forward taken that high is probably, even at that point, only 1 season max from making the team. those other guys could be pawned off for other pieces to the puzzle. theoretically of course

Old
04-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
There is almost no chance that Carolina falls outside the top 6, let alone the top 10 of draft position.
Thanks to the west

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

I was just watching the highlights again, and noticed that when the ref was announcing that Sutter's goal was good, LaRose came over and was asking for the puck. I assume it was to give to Sutter for his first 20th goal.

5 games left, 5 points out.....why do i get the feeling that the lat game, vs. Boston, will be us playing for the 8th seed? If we stay hot.....who knows. But they'll start sucking again, just enough to not even have the chance.

Old
04-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Well, they could, sadly, end up out of the top 10 picks, if they continue to win moving toward the end of the season. if that happens, i highly expect them to trade up, and I sure hope they would. lower than that, if they dont get one of Hall/Gudbranson/Gormley/Seguin/Fowler......they better get Niedereiter. If he is available and they pass on him.....i will be ticked.

I have really high hopes for this draft....as I know all of you do. I sure hope we dont screw this up.
Agree..if they are anywhere higher than 8, I'd prefer to see them package some picks/prospects and move up.

Old
04-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying Vagrant, but in fairness to the organization, when Samson was up the Canes still had a chance (slim, but still a chance) to make the playoffs.

Now, there is zero chance so the organization wants to see what some of these kids can do and I am ok with that.

That said, I'd like to see Samson get another chance up here with quality minutes.