HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Gm.6 - Sharks @ Avs l Sharks 3-1 l Sharks win Series 4-2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2004, 09:42 PM
  #76
Hockeycrazed07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buena Vista, VA
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Congrats, SJ.

~Crazed.

Hockeycrazed07 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:49 PM
  #77
jerseydevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,899
vCash: 500
Was it possible for Thorne and Clement to sound less excited when the Sharks won???? The sounded like their favorite team had just lost..Terrible announcing.....

jerseydevil is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
  #78
Mighty Duck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Hmm..

Well, I got the Fox Sports Net thingy..

For some reason, all I got is ESPN News.

Mighty Duck Fan is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
  #79
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,605
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
... over... and the series winner to GOC!!
Hes already done way more for the Sharks than Selanne ever did :lol

__________________
Patty Ice is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
  #80
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Congratulations Sharks Fans

Colorado decided to take tonight off. They should be ashamed. The Sharks should be proud.....they deserved this series by outworking Colorado. Whatever you do, please ensure that the Flyers do not win the cup. Please!

ThisYearsModel is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
  #81
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Calgary and San Jose in the Conference Finals. Great stuff.

So much for the "NHL is rigging the results to arrange big market teams in the Finals" conspiracists!

So much for those complaining that big payrolls teams are the only ones that can win (a fallacy to begin with).

So much for the Tony Granato coaching experiment, one would guess.

So much for the NHL career of a great, great player, potentially (our loss).

***

As for those complaining about refs calls tonight: Are you aware that calls and breaks go against teams occasionally?

End of the game, Damphousse comes up high with his stick on Forsberg. In the handshake line afterward, he apologizes. Forsberg makes no big deal about it. The players understand these things come with the game. Why is it so hard for some fans to get it?


Last edited by Trottier: 05-04-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Trottier is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
  #82
Robert Paulson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Happy Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
The announcers are not supposed to be biased, I guess.

Awesome game, both goalies were awesome, Abby looked a bit shaky at times..

The Sharks defense was great as well, they didn't let the Avs get much.

I like the way SJ plays their offense, really aggressive forechecking, it works really well.

Robert Paulson* is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
  #83
Renion
Registered User
 
Renion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Was it possible for Thorne and Clement to sound less excited when the Sharks won???? The sounded like their favorite team had just lost..Terrible announcing.....
Well, it's hard to blame them. The building was dead quiet, and the loss had been coming for a while. I think it would have sounded out of place if they had gotten really excited.

This was a fun series to watch, regardless.

Renion is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:58 PM
  #84
mage23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel
Colorado decided to take tonight off. They should be ashamed. The Sharks should be proud.....they deserved this series by outworking Colorado.
For the first period, I agree. The Sharks came out flying... but the Avs definitely showed up in the 2nd where they lodged 17 shots (despite getting outscored).

mage23 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:58 PM
  #85
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,297
vCash: 500
Thorne and Clemente sounded like somebody just killed thier dog.

"And... Its Over"

They had more enthusiasm [sp?] when Forsberg got touched with a stick and dove like he was shot with a minute to go, than they did about the finale.

X8oD is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:03 PM
  #86
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Lemme first say congrats to the Sharks core on the boards here, most of you deserve to root your team on when the stakes are high.

No whining about it, the Sharks deserved to win this series 4-0 or 4-1, the Avs never brought any kind of solid game to the arena game in and game out, and it showed in the end. Nabokov outplayed Aebischer, however before people pile on Abby, it's worth noting that he WAS the only player on the Avs who consistantly gave a solid effort.

To put it lightly, the Avs looked like maroon deer's staring off into the depths of a quintet of teal headlights. They really had no idea what to do with the puck every time they got it on their sticks. They all thought that they could employ the tactics used against the Stars once more vs. San Jose--and that clearly was not the case. Personally I was thoroughly bored with the series. I mean, it became apparent after game 2 that Granato wasn't going to figure out how to beat the Sharks.

Hopefully Granato never coaches again in the NHL after this season. It's not that he's not a good guy, but it'd be terrible for another NHL team to make the same mistake Lacroix did in hiring the guy.

Ensane is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
  #87
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 37,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Hes already done way more for the Sharks than Selanne ever did :lol
:lol

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:12 PM
  #88
mkc2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Goc = God?!?!?!
He scored the winning goal tonight! Should have played him in game four!!
He is making a name for himself!
Now it is SJ vs Cal!

mkc2 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:24 PM
  #89
Los Tiburones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Lemme first say congrats to the Sharks core on the boards here, most of you deserve to root your team on when the stakes are high.

No whining about it, the Sharks deserved to win this series 4-0 or 4-1, the Avs never brought any kind of solid game to the arena game in and game out, and it showed in the end. Nabokov outplayed Aebischer, however before people pile on Abby, it's worth noting that he WAS the only player on the Avs who consistantly gave a solid effort.

To put it lightly, the Avs looked like maroon deer's staring off into the depths of a quintet of teal headlights. They really had no idea what to do with the puck every time they got it on their sticks. They all thought that they could employ the tactics used against the Stars once more vs. San Jose--and that clearly was not the case. Personally I was thoroughly bored with the series. I mean, it became apparent after game 2 that Granato wasn't going to figure out how to beat the Sharks.

Hopefully Granato never coaches again in the NHL after this season. It's not that he's not a good guy, but it'd be terrible for another NHL team to make the same mistake Lacroix did in hiring the guy.
Avs definitely got somewhat lucky in even winning those two games. Those were two very close games where if the Sharks had any kind of luck Colorado would have been toast. Sharks clearly played the better team game. Colorado was forced to live and die on the superstar ability of Sakic Forsberg and Hejduk and because the Sharks understood that and had the players to more or less neutralize those 3 they were able to get it done.

The whole season from Colorado was an absolute wash. Going into the final game they were without Tanguay (who got a mysterious call by Thorne midway through the game), Blake, and Kariya (mostly). I'm probably even forgetting one or two. The fact is that this was not quite the team that Lacroix imagined going into the year. Ultimately, one of the biggest differences in the series was once Blake went down, SJ's defense was far and away the better group.

This next series will definitely be interesting. Not a whole lot of star power in the next series. Iginla for sure. Marleau maybe. Really is the battle of SJ v. SJ rejects. Kiprusoff, Sutter, Donovan, Lowry... I think that this matchup favors the Sharks. I think that what Calgary does, SJ does, and does it better. Plus, I think the Sharks may have the personnel that can really knock Iginla out --> Hannan, Stuart, Rathje, and McLaren are all big guys who can handle other big guys. Hopefully the Sharks get a few days of rest, which allow McCauley and Thornton (but not Harvey) to get healthy. Sharks need to keep Goc on that 4th line!

Los Tiburones is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:28 PM
  #90
mage23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones
Plus, I think the Sharks may have the personnel that can really knock Iginla out --> Hannan, Stuart, Rathje, and McLaren are all big guys who can handle other big guys. Hopefully the Sharks get a few days of rest, which allow McCauley and Thornton (but not Harvey) to get healthy. Sharks need to keep Goc on that 4th line!
They definitely have the combination of speed/physicality that should make it interesting... as opposed to Hatcher who couldn't keep up with Iggy.

mage23 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:30 PM
  #91
Captain Conservative
Registered User
 
Captain Conservative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: My Blue Heaven
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
Congrats to the Sharks. Truly an amazing team. The sharks won this series, the Avs didn't lose it.

Captain Conservative is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
  #92
chriss_co
Registered User
 
chriss_co's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CALGARY
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones
Avs definitely got somewhat lucky in even winning those two games. Those were two very close games where if the Sharks had any kind of luck Colorado would have been toast. Sharks clearly played the better team game. Colorado was forced to live and die on the superstar ability of Sakic Forsberg and Hejduk and because the Sharks understood that and had the players to more or less neutralize those 3 they were able to get it done.

The whole season from Colorado was an absolute wash. Going into the final game they were without Tanguay (who got a mysterious call by Thorne midway through the game), Blake, and Kariya (mostly). I'm probably even forgetting one or two. The fact is that this was not quite the team that Lacroix imagined going into the year. Ultimately, one of the biggest differences in the series was once Blake went down, SJ's defense was far and away the better group.

This next series will definitely be interesting. Not a whole lot of star power in the next series. Iginla for sure. Marleau maybe. Really is the battle of SJ v. SJ rejects. Kiprusoff, Sutter, Donovan, Lowry... I think that this matchup favors the Sharks. I think that what Calgary does, SJ does, and does it better. Plus, I think the Sharks may have the personnel that can really knock Iginla out --> Hannan, Stuart, Rathje, and McLaren are all big guys who can handle other big guys. Hopefully the Sharks get a few days of rest, which allow McCauley and Thornton (but not Harvey) to get healthy. Sharks need to keep Goc on that 4th line!
Calgary vs San Jose... pretty strange matchup but one that does have some history.. (u guys knocked us out about 8-9 years ago...)

two very similar teams.. SJ does what calgary does but better?? well.. i wouldn't say that.. i would say SJ plays like calgary but has better depth

and san jose rejects? well, in due time you will see that there is more to this team than those 4 you named

Detroit has a defense corp of equal calibre to San Jose.. and not to knock Detroit but if they couldn't 'contain' Iggy (4 point game streak currently for iggy) why would San Jose be able to do a better job?

Sharks are great team.. i predict sharks in 7
(hint: round 1 i predicted canucks in 7 --> flames won in 7
round 2 I predicted wings in 6 --> flames won in 6
round 3 I predict sharks in 7 --> will the flames prove me wrong again and win in 7?)

I HOPE SO!

GO FLAMES GO

chriss_co is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
  #93
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,834
vCash: 500
All is right with the world now that the Avs are out, balances out the Wings loss. Maybe both franchises are going to go into a slow decline with the uncertainty of certain players and the pending CBA. Good to see the Sharks get over the hump as well, they did a remarkable job to rebound the way they did this season.

Go Sharks.

guinness is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:33 PM
  #94
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
They definitely have the combination of speed/physicality that should make it interesting... as opposed to Hatcher who couldn't keep up with Iggy.
Iggy didnt beat Detroit. Iggy had 1 goal, was shut down for multiple games. Focus entirely on him and you will lose. Detroit shut him down, problem was they didnt shut anybody else down.

*EDIT* before i get hammered. Im not denying hes a Star. And the amount of Talent Detroit has, they better be able to shut down 1 player. They've done it with Forsberg, and this series they did it with Iginla. Problem was they dedicted TOO MUCH TIME to him, and they got burned.

Lewis was matching lines at home and away. Iginla did not beat detroit, but because Detroit worried about him, The 3rd and 4th lines of calgary [or 2nd and 3rds, not sure if they rolled 3 or 4 lines] ate Detroit alive.


Last edited by X8oD: 05-04-2004 at 10:40 PM.
X8oD is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:40 PM
  #95
mage23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Iggy didnt beat Detroit. Iggy had 1 goal, was shut down for multiple games. Focus entirely on him and you will lose. Detroit shut him down, problem was they didnt shut anybody else down.
Well, he did end the series on a 4-game point streak, and was still shooting a ton and using his speed well. Not to mention that Gelinas had 3 goals, and Conroy added one as well. So 6 of the goals (6 of the 11) came from those three guys who play together a lot.

mage23 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
  #96
mage23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
Detroit has a defense corp of equal calibre to San Jose.. and not to knock Detroit but if they couldn't 'contain' Iggy (4 point game streak currently for iggy) why would San Jose be able to do a better job?
Because they play as a team, and have much better team speed than Detroit and can keep up with the speedy Flames forwards, such as Iginla?

mage23 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:44 PM
  #97
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
Well, he did end the series on a 4-game point streak, and was still shooting a ton and using his speed well. Not to mention that Gelinas had 3 goals, and Conroy added one as well. So 6 of the goals (6 of the 11) came from those three guys who play together a lot.
im not denying gelinas and Conroy. They shut iginla down, and they paid too much attention to him. Dumping the puck to an open guy isnt hard.

im just saying, Dont go into calgary thinking they are a 1 man team. Focus on him only and you will lose. They have more talent than that.

X8oD is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 10:50 PM
  #98
mage23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
im not denying gelinas and Conroy. They shut iginla down, and they paid too much attention to him. Dumping the puck to an open guy isnt hard.

im just saying, Dont go into calgary thinking they are a 1 man team. Focus on him only and you will lose. They have more talent than that.
No doubt... I'm not saying they're a 1-guy team... far from it... and in my opinion, dumping the puck to an open guy for a goal isn't exactly being contained if the other guy scores on it.

Being contained is being stripped of the puck, pinned to the boards, etc etc etc. Iginla may have only had one goal, but in watching the games, he sure seemed to me like he had a big part in them. He was on the ice a ton using his speed and shooting. Love watching him play.

mage23 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 01:49 AM
  #99
Freudian
Slightly overpaid
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34,241
vCash: 50
Congrats to the sharks. Very hard working team.

Freudian is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 03:39 AM
  #100
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Haie .....err...I mean Sharks

Wow Goc scored!!! congrats man.

What a final. Calgary Flames vs. San Josť Sharks.

Safir* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.