HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Gm.6 - Sharks @ Avs l Sharks 3-1 l Sharks win Series 4-2

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Hockeycrazed07

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Congrats, SJ.

~Crazed.

Old
05-04-2004, 09:49 PM
jerseydevil

Was it possible for Thorne and Clement to sound less excited when the Sharks won???? The sounded like their favorite team had just lost..Terrible announcing.....

Old
05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Mighty Duck Fan

Hmm..

Well, I got the Fox Sports Net thingy..

For some reason, all I got is ESPN News.

Old
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
... over... and the series winner to GOC!!
Hes already done way more for the Sharks than Selanne ever did :lol

ThisYearsModel

Congratulations Sharks Fans

Colorado decided to take tonight off. They should be ashamed. The Sharks should be proud.....they deserved this series by outworking Colorado. Whatever you do, please ensure that the Flyers do not win the cup. Please!

Old
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Calgary and San Jose in the Conference Finals. Great stuff.

So much for the "NHL is rigging the results to arrange big market teams in the Finals" conspiracists!

So much for those complaining that big payrolls teams are the only ones that can win (a fallacy to begin with).

So much for the Tony Granato coaching experiment, one would guess.

So much for the NHL career of a great, great player, potentially (our loss).

As for those complaining about refs calls tonight: Are you aware that calls and breaks go against teams occasionally?

End of the game, Damphousse comes up high with his stick on Forsberg. In the handshake line afterward, he apologizes. Forsberg makes no big deal about it. The players understand these things come with the game. Why is it so hard for some fans to get it?

Last edited by Trottier: 05-04-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Robert Paulson*

The announcers are not supposed to be biased, I guess.

Awesome game, both goalies were awesome, Abby looked a bit shaky at times..

The Sharks defense was great as well, they didn't let the Avs get much.

I like the way SJ plays their offense, really aggressive forechecking, it works really well.

Old
05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Was it possible for Thorne and Clement to sound less excited when the Sharks won???? The sounded like their favorite team had just lost..Terrible announcing.....
Well, it's hard to blame them. The building was dead quiet, and the loss had been coming for a while. I think it would have sounded out of place if they had gotten really excited.

This was a fun series to watch, regardless.

Old
05-04-2004, 09:58 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel
Colorado decided to take tonight off. They should be ashamed. The Sharks should be proud.....they deserved this series by outworking Colorado.
For the first period, I agree. The Sharks came out flying... but the Avs definitely showed up in the 2nd where they lodged 17 shots (despite getting outscored).

Old
05-04-2004, 09:58 PM
X8oD

Thorne and Clemente sounded like somebody just killed thier dog.

"And... Its Over"

They had more enthusiasm [sp?] when Forsberg got touched with a stick and dove like he was shot with a minute to go, than they did about the finale.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Lemme first say congrats to the Sharks core on the boards here, most of you deserve to root your team on when the stakes are high.

No whining about it, the Sharks deserved to win this series 4-0 or 4-1, the Avs never brought any kind of solid game to the arena game in and game out, and it showed in the end. Nabokov outplayed Aebischer, however before people pile on Abby, it's worth noting that he WAS the only player on the Avs who consistantly gave a solid effort.

To put it lightly, the Avs looked like maroon deer's staring off into the depths of a quintet of teal headlights. They really had no idea what to do with the puck every time they got it on their sticks. They all thought that they could employ the tactics used against the Stars once more vs. San Jose--and that clearly was not the case. Personally I was thoroughly bored with the series. I mean, it became apparent after game 2 that Granato wasn't going to figure out how to beat the Sharks.

Hopefully Granato never coaches again in the NHL after this season. It's not that he's not a good guy, but it'd be terrible for another NHL team to make the same mistake Lacroix did in hiring the guy.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Hes already done way more for the Sharks than Selanne ever did :lol
:lol

Old
05-04-2004, 10:12 PM
mkc2

Goc = God?!?!?!
He scored the winning goal tonight! Should have played him in game four!!
He is making a name for himself!
Now it is SJ vs Cal!

Old
05-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Los Tiburones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Lemme first say congrats to the Sharks core on the boards here, most of you deserve to root your team on when the stakes are high.

No whining about it, the Sharks deserved to win this series 4-0 or 4-1, the Avs never brought any kind of solid game to the arena game in and game out, and it showed in the end. Nabokov outplayed Aebischer, however before people pile on Abby, it's worth noting that he WAS the only player on the Avs who consistantly gave a solid effort.

To put it lightly, the Avs looked like maroon deer's staring off into the depths of a quintet of teal headlights. They really had no idea what to do with the puck every time they got it on their sticks. They all thought that they could employ the tactics used against the Stars once more vs. San Jose--and that clearly was not the case. Personally I was thoroughly bored with the series. I mean, it became apparent after game 2 that Granato wasn't going to figure out how to beat the Sharks.

Hopefully Granato never coaches again in the NHL after this season. It's not that he's not a good guy, but it'd be terrible for another NHL team to make the same mistake Lacroix did in hiring the guy.
Avs definitely got somewhat lucky in even winning those two games. Those were two very close games where if the Sharks had any kind of luck Colorado would have been toast. Sharks clearly played the better team game. Colorado was forced to live and die on the superstar ability of Sakic Forsberg and Hejduk and because the Sharks understood that and had the players to more or less neutralize those 3 they were able to get it done.

The whole season from Colorado was an absolute wash. Going into the final game they were without Tanguay (who got a mysterious call by Thorne midway through the game), Blake, and Kariya (mostly). I'm probably even forgetting one or two. The fact is that this was not quite the team that Lacroix imagined going into the year. Ultimately, one of the biggest differences in the series was once Blake went down, SJ's defense was far and away the better group.

This next series will definitely be interesting. Not a whole lot of star power in the next series. Iginla for sure. Marleau maybe. Really is the battle of SJ v. SJ rejects. Kiprusoff, Sutter, Donovan, Lowry... I think that this matchup favors the Sharks. I think that what Calgary does, SJ does, and does it better. Plus, I think the Sharks may have the personnel that can really knock Iginla out --> Hannan, Stuart, Rathje, and McLaren are all big guys who can handle other big guys. Hopefully the Sharks get a few days of rest, which allow McCauley and Thornton (but not Harvey) to get healthy. Sharks need to keep Goc on that 4th line!

Old
05-04-2004, 10:28 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones
Plus, I think the Sharks may have the personnel that can really knock Iginla out --> Hannan, Stuart, Rathje, and McLaren are all big guys who can handle other big guys. Hopefully the Sharks get a few days of rest, which allow McCauley and Thornton (but not Harvey) to get healthy. Sharks need to keep Goc on that 4th line!
They definitely have the combination of speed/physicality that should make it interesting... as opposed to Hatcher who couldn't keep up with Iggy.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Captain Conservative

Congrats to the Sharks. Truly an amazing team. The sharks won this series, the Avs didn't lose it.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones
Avs definitely got somewhat lucky in even winning those two games. Those were two very close games where if the Sharks had any kind of luck Colorado would have been toast. Sharks clearly played the better team game. Colorado was forced to live and die on the superstar ability of Sakic Forsberg and Hejduk and because the Sharks understood that and had the players to more or less neutralize those 3 they were able to get it done.

The whole season from Colorado was an absolute wash. Going into the final game they were without Tanguay (who got a mysterious call by Thorne midway through the game), Blake, and Kariya (mostly). I'm probably even forgetting one or two. The fact is that this was not quite the team that Lacroix imagined going into the year. Ultimately, one of the biggest differences in the series was once Blake went down, SJ's defense was far and away the better group.

This next series will definitely be interesting. Not a whole lot of star power in the next series. Iginla for sure. Marleau maybe. Really is the battle of SJ v. SJ rejects. Kiprusoff, Sutter, Donovan, Lowry... I think that this matchup favors the Sharks. I think that what Calgary does, SJ does, and does it better. Plus, I think the Sharks may have the personnel that can really knock Iginla out --> Hannan, Stuart, Rathje, and McLaren are all big guys who can handle other big guys. Hopefully the Sharks get a few days of rest, which allow McCauley and Thornton (but not Harvey) to get healthy. Sharks need to keep Goc on that 4th line!
Calgary vs San Jose... pretty strange matchup but one that does have some history.. (u guys knocked us out about 8-9 years ago...)

two very similar teams.. SJ does what calgary does but better?? well.. i wouldn't say that.. i would say SJ plays like calgary but has better depth

and san jose rejects? well, in due time you will see that there is more to this team than those 4 you named

Detroit has a defense corp of equal calibre to San Jose.. and not to knock Detroit but if they couldn't 'contain' Iggy (4 point game streak currently for iggy) why would San Jose be able to do a better job?

Sharks are great team.. i predict sharks in 7
(hint: round 1 i predicted canucks in 7 --> flames won in 7
round 2 I predicted wings in 6 --> flames won in 6
round 3 I predict sharks in 7 --> will the flames prove me wrong again and win in 7?)

I HOPE SO!

GO FLAMES GO

Old
05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
guinness
those were the days

All is right with the world now that the Avs are out, balances out the Wings loss. Maybe both franchises are going to go into a slow decline with the uncertainty of certain players and the pending CBA. Good to see the Sharks get over the hump as well, they did a remarkable job to rebound the way they did this season.

Go Sharks.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:33 PM
X8oD

Quote:
They definitely have the combination of speed/physicality that should make it interesting... as opposed to Hatcher who couldn't keep up with Iggy.
Iggy didnt beat Detroit. Iggy had 1 goal, was shut down for multiple games. Focus entirely on him and you will lose. Detroit shut him down, problem was they didnt shut anybody else down.

*EDIT* before i get hammered. Im not denying hes a Star. And the amount of Talent Detroit has, they better be able to shut down 1 player. They've done it with Forsberg, and this series they did it with Iginla. Problem was they dedicted TOO MUCH TIME to him, and they got burned.

Lewis was matching lines at home and away. Iginla did not beat detroit, but because Detroit worried about him, The 3rd and 4th lines of calgary [or 2nd and 3rds, not sure if they rolled 3 or 4 lines] ate Detroit alive.

Last edited by X8oD: 05-04-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old
05-04-2004, 10:40 PM
mage23

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Iggy didnt beat Detroit. Iggy had 1 goal, was shut down for multiple games. Focus entirely on him and you will lose. Detroit shut him down, problem was they didnt shut anybody else down.
Well, he did end the series on a 4-game point streak, and was still shooting a ton and using his speed well. Not to mention that Gelinas had 3 goals, and Conroy added one as well. So 6 of the goals (6 of the 11) came from those three guys who play together a lot.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
mage23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
Detroit has a defense corp of equal calibre to San Jose.. and not to knock Detroit but if they couldn't 'contain' Iggy (4 point game streak currently for iggy) why would San Jose be able to do a better job?
Because they play as a team, and have much better team speed than Detroit and can keep up with the speedy Flames forwards, such as Iginla?

Old
05-04-2004, 10:44 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Well, he did end the series on a 4-game point streak, and was still shooting a ton and using his speed well. Not to mention that Gelinas had 3 goals, and Conroy added one as well. So 6 of the goals (6 of the 11) came from those three guys who play together a lot.
im not denying gelinas and Conroy. They shut iginla down, and they paid too much attention to him. Dumping the puck to an open guy isnt hard.

im just saying, Dont go into calgary thinking they are a 1 man team. Focus on him only and you will lose. They have more talent than that.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:50 PM
mage23

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
im not denying gelinas and Conroy. They shut iginla down, and they paid too much attention to him. Dumping the puck to an open guy isnt hard.

im just saying, Dont go into calgary thinking they are a 1 man team. Focus on him only and you will lose. They have more talent than that.
No doubt... I'm not saying they're a 1-guy team... far from it... and in my opinion, dumping the puck to an open guy for a goal isn't exactly being contained if the other guy scores on it.

Being contained is being stripped of the puck, pinned to the boards, etc etc etc. Iginla may have only had one goal, but in watching the games, he sure seemed to me like he had a big part in them. He was on the ice a ton using his speed and shooting. Love watching him play.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
Congrats to the sharks. Very hard working team.

Old
05-05-2004, 03:39 AM
Safir*

Haie .....err...I mean Sharks

Wow Goc scored!!! congrats man.

What a final. Calgary Flames vs. San Josť Sharks.

Closed Thread