HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Paul and Teemu came cheap, at least

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Paul and Teemu came cheap, at least

At least Colorado didn't overpay for the 80pts. or so that they got out of Paul and Teemu combined during the regular and playoff seasons.

And Gratton and Barnaby? At least Barnaby got a few assists...

AND YES, I know the Bruins stink, so you can save it for later

Old
05-04-2004, 11:58 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Selanne wasn't cheap...

Old
05-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Hellsempire

Both were not cheap and both will be elsewhere next season... Both played terrible this season as well.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:53 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Both were not cheap and both will be elsewhere next season... Both played terrible this season as well.
Derek Morris and Keith Ballard for Gratton and Vaananen=

Old
05-05-2004, 01:05 AM
fcbarcelona

the avs did get a second round pick in that deal btw.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:12 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Kariya won't be going anywhere.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:19 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Selanne's not staying if Granato does. He was in Granato's doghouse pretty much the whole year.

Kariya you can't really judge because those Anaheim voodoo dolls really got to him.

Old
05-05-2004, 02:00 AM
blitzkriegs

One definite: Selanne is NOT getting anywhere near 6.8 million.

Kariya will most likely stay if and when Forsberg leaves the NHL. Not at 1 million and not at 10 million.

Old
05-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
One definite: Selanne is NOT getting anywhere near 6.8 million.

Kariya will most likely stay if and when Forsberg leaves the NHL. Not at 1 million and not at 10 million.
No, no, Selanne and Kariya will both go the whomever wins the Cup this year. That's all they want, the Cup. I see them going to Tampa Bay!

Old
05-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Troy McClure

Why would Tampa Bay want them?

Old
05-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Atma

Send a message via Yahoo to Atma
Tampa Bay has enough talent. I don't think they'd want an injury prone player and a floater who barely scored for ~7mil.

Old
05-05-2004, 05:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Kariya and Selanne might both want to come to Vancouver now that there is no one here to drive them back to the airport

seriously though, I could see them both being interested in Vancouver... Crow is still here (at least for now and with Nonis as GM he has more security than if an outside guy came) and everyone knows that Crow runs an offensive style... offensive players would enjoy playing in that type of system.

But with the CBA situation, and the rumours about so many UFAs this year (after many of the RFAs don't get qualified) they could end up just about anywhere...

Detroit might be making bigger changes, and some of their vets might finally hang em up... same as Toronto... there's still the Rangers... the Stars might be making big changes (and weren't they close to getting Selanne a couple years ago, when he invoked his no-trade clause?)... The Blues are also a possibility after a disappointing year.

lots of options... with new management though, and it being Kariya's hometown, I wouldn't be surprised if they looked into getting him there... would be just the marketing move that a new GM might like to make in his first season, especially one that knows he's following a pretty successful GM already.

Old
05-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I seriously thought PK would sign with the Canucks last summer. I don't know what he's gonna do, but I hope he stays with us.

Old
05-05-2004, 05:49 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footemeister
I seriously thought PK would sign with the Canucks last summer. I don't know what he's gonna do, but I hope he stays with us.
well how about if you guys sign PK to a contract for next season, then not qualify PF - and he can come to the Canucks and play with his buddy for one last year in the NHL

Last summer, Burke had mentioned he was interested in Kariya, but not Selanne, and even contacted him... then blasted him for jumping ship on Anaheim because he got to go and play with Selanne... I think that if the Selanne-Kariya option wasn't there - where they could play together in one city, Kariya would have signed with Vancouver... money was obviously not an issue for him last year.

Old
05-05-2004, 05:52 PM
DownFromNJ

I don't think Kariya played badly. He put up decent points per game, considering the major injury he incurred. He probably would have scored in the 60-70 point range healthy.

Old
05-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I hope Kariya decides to stay with us, but I have a feeling he's gonna end up going home.

Old
05-05-2004, 06:00 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footemeister
I hope Kariya decides to stay with us, but I have a feeling he's gonna end up going home.
I would love to see Paul come home here, but we're loaded on left wing, and I dont think Paul would sign with Vancouver to be the 3rd line LW!

Old
05-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
Kariya and Selanne might both want to come to Vancouver now that there is no one here to drive them back to the airport
uhh did you see what happened in Colorado?

Quote:
seriously though, I could see them both being interested in Vancouver... Crow is still here (at least for now and with Nonis as GM he has more security than if an outside guy came) and everyone knows that Crow runs an offensive style... offensive players would enjoy playing in that type of system.
Kariya might, I think Selanne is gonna retire.

But with the CBA situation, and the rumours about so many UFAs this year (after many of the RFAs don't get qualified) they could end up just about anywhere...

Quote:
lots of options... with new management though, and it being Kariya's hometown, I wouldn't be surprised if they looked into getting him there... would be just the marketing move that a new GM might like to make in his first season, especially one that knows he's following a pretty successful GM already.
If Kariya will play for what he's worth it's possible but if he wants to win a cup I don't know if Vancouver is the place.

Old
05-05-2004, 06:51 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Three words: DON'T COME BACK!!

Old
05-05-2004, 07:37 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
I would love to see Paul come home here, but we're loaded on left wing, and I dont think Paul would sign with Vancouver to be the 3rd line LW!
with a new management system, and with the pressures on Nonis, after Burke being let go despite putting the franchise on track, I don't think anything at this point is written in stone - such as our top 2 LWers still being our top 2.

Naslund isn't going anywhere... but it's not hard to move Daniel to the 3rd unit - he's not a defensive liability there, and besides despite on paper the Sedins being on the 2nd line, they've been getting 3rd line icetime for a while now.

Also with Cooke showing he is capable of being as effective on the right side, anything can really happen.

Maybe Nonis goes out and gets a new 2nd line left winger (Kariya) and a 2nd line center (??) and then moves Cooke to the right wing on that line... moves the Sedins with Linden (or King, or whoever) to the 3rd unit.

This could make sense too if they go out and get players like Kariya - who have had injury problems because of their size (or whatever else)... this way you have a reliable pair who can slide into the 2nd unit without any problems ... could also lead to taking a risk on an injury prone center (like Allison or Lindros), because you cover yourself by having a guy like Henrik who's capable of stepping up anytime (this also makes a lot of sense to me, because we have Kesler or Reid who could play in Manitoba, and come up to cover for injuries and play in the 3rd or 4th spot).

I just can't see the status quo with Nonis coming in... there was a reason that Burke wasn't re-signed, despite his excellent performance on the financial side, and you don't just get rid of an asset to any organization like that just because he didn't get along with a guy who's never around the team anyways (McCammon).

Changes are coming up, and we're pretty well prepared to take risks on some injury prone or aging players... but don't be surprised to not see the Sedins on the 2nd unit next year (or even on the team, although I hope they don't move them).

Old
05-05-2004, 07:44 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
If Kariya will play for what he's worth it's possible but if he wants to win a cup I don't know if Vancouver is the place.
why not?? it's no bigger a risk than a lot of other places... there's a new GM in town, and it's clear that ownership wanted more on-ice success than what Burke was able to provide... I wouldn't be surprised to see the team take some big risks.

right now, as I see it the West especially, if not both conferences are basically wide open for the next hockey season... there will be tons of free agents, and many teams will change... there will also be a good number of retiring players and the changing of the guard has already begun.

In the last two years, the Western conference finals has seen two teams that weren't in the playoffs the year before... next season, anything can happen... Kariya or any player for that matter, know that there is no guarentee whereever they go - look what happened to him this year, wanting to go to a team that they felt could go all the way - and they ended up losing their division of the first time in 10 years.

2 years ago, if at the start of the season anyone said the West final would be Anaheim-Minnesota, most people would have said they're crazy.... at the beginning of this past year if anyone said that San Jose and Calgary would meet in the finals, they'd still say you're nuts... so how can you possibly predict what teams will be there when the CBA changes, free agency is like it's never been before, and some of the league's biggest stars might not even be back??

Old
05-05-2004, 08:15 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

actually, i think they're both goin to the kings. they both want to spite the ducks and who better then go to their bitter rivals? they want it so bad they sign for $2 mil and end up putting 60 point seasons each... oh boy oh boy!

Old
05-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Hellsempire

Karyia most likely going back to Anaheim... He gave it a shot with the Avs thinking they were going to win the SC but will not so he can go back to Anaheim now...

Old
05-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Kariya is a softie.

NO way in hell is he going to come to Vancouver. If we sign him, it just means we've learned nothing this post-season.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
Kariya is a softie.

NO way in hell is he going to come to Vancouver. If we sign him, it just means we've learned nothing this post-season.
How many softies does that team have though?

Closed Thread