HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Zherdev Reprise his Role on Broadway?

Old
04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, a lot of people weren't "against" Zherdev, but were fooled into believing we had 7 potential 20-goal scorers, or whatever absurd thing the board was rolling with this off season. Now, people realize that it wasn't a coach stifling offensive creativity, but it's actually that we're just not talented...and suddenly, the mercurial Zherdev and his skill look quite attractive.
thank you....didnt look at it like that at all

and i agree with the poster above A for vocabulary

i dont remember that on on the SAT's

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I didnt like Zherdev, but I think in a second line role Id be a much bigger fan than as our #1 scoring threat.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:27 PM
HoosierDaddy

Big-time Z supporter, but I'd rather see him light it up on another team. Preferably in the East so he can torment the haters. Imagine if he winds up in Pitt with Cindy and Lurch.

Nah, no way he comes back. the Baffoon from Banf-f-f holds grudges whenever he's dragged into arbitration. the only one i can remember not being sent packing are Cally and Dubi.

I'll never understand why some people get their panties in a bunch from because a player follows the rules agreed to by the PA and the league. They have every right to ask for what they think they're worth. When teams holds the hammer all the players across the table look like nails. I don't begrudge players trying to get theirs.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Not sure why it's assumed he's going to flourish as a secondary scorer instead of being the primary offensive option. The fact is he didn't hit 60 points last season and that was when the team revolved around him.

04-01-2010, 04:36 PM
UAGoalieGuy

If he can be brought back on a decent deal, i'm down. Then sign MZA as the 2nd line LW, and you'd have a pretty solid 2nd line with MZA on the LW and Z on the RW, with either AA or Dubi centering. I think it would have to be Dubi because AA doesn't have the foot speed yet to keept up with those two.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not sure why it's assumed he's going to flourish as a secondary scorer instead of being the primary offensive option. The fact is he didn't hit 60 points last season and that was when the team revolved around him.
Just because he was the teams main offensive threat doesn't mean the team revolved around him.

The team was revolved around Drury and Gomez last season. Fans and I guess his teammates just looked toward Zherdev because he was the only one that could do anything with the puck half the time.

Bringing him back for 3M, to score us 60 points would be a very good signing. Plus he wouldn't have the other teams top defensemen on him all game like last season.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Just because he was the teams main offensive threat doesn't mean the team revolved around him.

The team was revolved around Drury and Gomez last season. Fans and I guess his teammates just looked toward Zherdev because he was the only one that could do anything with the puck half the time.

Bringing him back for 3M, to score us 60 points would be a very good signing. Plus he wouldn't have the other teams top defensemen on him all game like last season.
But it did revolve around him. He was linked to Dubinsky even when they stopped being effective together. Aaron Voros played way too much because he had a modicum of success with Z.

Who's to say he's going to score 60? If he didn't he'd get killed around here. Imagine if Prospal was making 3M. Look at Jokinen.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Black Tank

I'm no fan of Z but I'd rather have him than Tortorella. Tortorella's "system" will at best yield a scratch and claw for the 8th next year as well, this guy cannot cut it with the talent and players that Rangers have on the ice and in the pipeline. Let's bring in someone who can bring out the best in the players we have and could get like Zherdev.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Big-time Z supporter, but I'd rather see him light it up on another team. Preferably in the East so he can torment the haters. Imagine if he winds up in Pitt with Cindy and Lurch.

Nah, no way he comes back. the Baffoon from Banf-f-f holds grudges whenever he's dragged into arbitration. the only one i can remember not being sent packing are Cally and Dubi.

I'll never understand why some people get their panties in a bunch from because a player follows the rules agreed to by the PA and the league. They have every right to ask for what they think they're worth. When teams holds the hammer all the players across the table look like nails. I don't begrudge players trying to get theirs.
simple. because he wasn't worth it.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:59 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, a lot of people weren't "against" Zherdev, but were fooled into believing we had 7 potential 20-goal scorers, or whatever absurd thing the board was rolling with this off season. Now, people realize that it wasn't a coach stifling offensive creativity, but it's actually that we're just not talented...and suddenly, the mercurial Zherdev and his skill look quite attractive.
Ah, yes, back in the good ole days when Higgins and Kotalik were going to put up 20-25 goals, and Callahan was a surefire bet to score 30 goals.

The knock on him last year was that he was inconsistent ("heartless" as well but I'm not even going to approach that one). Now we have a team where everyone has struggled with consistency. Even Gaborik, who scored only 1 goal in 11 games in January. I'd take Zherdev and his "inconsistency" over most of the players on this team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
But it did revolve around him. He was linked to Dubinsky even when they stopped being effective together. Aaron Voros played way too much because he had a modicum of success with Z.

Who's to say he's going to score 60? If he didn't he'd get killed around here. Imagine if Prospal was making 3M. Look at Jokinen.
But that's not his fault. That's the team's fault.

Playing with Dubinsky and Voros, especially last year's Dubinsky...that's not exactly much help for Zherdev, especially not in the role of primary scorer.

If he has less pressure to deal with, and a better line (like the one I suggested with the now somewhat improved Dubinsky and Anisimov, who will improve and could work very well with Zherdev), I think he'd be okay. It's all about expectations. If Gaborik is putting up 40-40, then I don't think anyone is going to be on Zherdev about 25-35.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:09 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Dear God, no. You know Sather's reached another level of failure if he starts rehashing his own mistakes.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
But that's not his fault. That's the team's fault.

Playing with Dubinsky and Voros, especially last year's Dubinsky...that's not exactly much help for Zherdev, especially not in the role of primary scorer.

If he has less pressure to deal with, and a better line (like the one I suggested with the now somewhat improved Dubinsky and Anisimov, who will improve and could work very well with Zherdev), I think he'd be okay. It's all about expectations. If Gaborik is putting up 40-40, then I don't think anyone is going to be on Zherdev about 25-35.
I'm not saying it's his fault. I am saying that we saw the results when the team did revolve around him.

If Gaborik goes 40-40 nobody will get on Z going 25-35? What does Gaborik have to do with Z? For that matter, I'm not sold on Z going 25-35.

Old
04-01-2010, 05:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Imagine if he winds up in Pitt with Cindy and Lurch.
It's that kind of thinking that gets you Tom Poti.

Quote:
I'll never understand why some people get their panties in a bunch from because a player follows the rules agreed to by the PA and the league. They have every right to ask for what they think they're worth. When teams holds the hammer all the players across the table look like nails. I don't begrudge players trying to get theirs
He did have every right. Funny how there didn't seem to be teams lining up for him once he became a UFA.

Old
04-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Here's a fun fact...
-The ONLY (ONE, SINGULAR) person who showed up last playoffs was Henrik Lundqvist. Thats it.

Maybe you can say Cally/Duby/Avery played pretty decent at times but consistently it was the King...

Yeah, Zherdev was invisible. So was Antropov. . . And the rest of the team.
I beg to differ. That's a load of nonsense.

Lundqvist single-handidly killed them in Games Six and Seven. They had it wrapped up and Lundqvist choked.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
I beg to differ. That's a load of nonsense.

Lundqvist single-handidly killed them in Games Six and Seven. They had it wrapped up and Lundqvist choked.
Having your coach suspended for a potential series clincher at home didn't help either.

Old
04-01-2010, 05:16 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I'm not saying it's his fault. I am saying that we saw the results when the team did revolve around him.

If Gaborik goes 40-40 nobody will get on Z going 25-35? What does Gaborik have to do with Z? For that matter, I'm not sold on Z going 25-35.
Well, if Gaborik is on the first line, and Zherdev is on the second, it stands to reason that he may not face the ire of the fanbase as often for the team's lack of success as he would if a bigger star wasn't here.

It also stands to reason that Zherdev will see less attention from opposing teams if he was on the second line, and he managed what...55? 58 points? On an awfully untalented offensive team without even one real suitable linemate for him. I think 60 is a very realistic number for him in the right situation.

Old
04-01-2010, 05:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Well, if Gaborik is on the first line, and Zherdev is on the second, it stands to reason that he may not face the ire of the fanbase as often for the team's lack of success as he would if a bigger star wasn't here.

It also stands to reason that Zherdev will see less attention from opposing teams if he was on the second line, and he managed what...55? 58 points? On an awfully untalented offensive team without even one real suitable linemate for him. I think 60 is a very realistic number for him in the right situation.
Chris Drury is on the third line and he hasn't escaped any ire. Brashear was on the fourth he got ire.

Old
04-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Fletch

Zherdev would be a fine second line winger on a team with a top line winger. For all his faults, he did lead the Rangers in scoring. OK, not a great feat since someone had to do it, but I'd argue that his offensive supporting cast wasn't all that spectacular. Having said that, I couldn't guarantee that Z finally breaks out and has the year everyone hopes he will have, which again, is why I think he's a good option on a second line. However, this is all talking in a vacuum as this team has lots of needs and each moves needs to be thought-out while thinking of the next move.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Chris Drury is on the third line and he hasn't escaped any ire. Brashear was on the fourth he got ire.
Both are a little, different, no? Drury is incredibly overpaid, and for that matter, so is Brashear. Brashear was brought here for one thing, and he didn't do it. Drury was brought and paid to do something he simply can't do, at least not in the situation he's been inserted in.

If Zherdev is paid 3-4 million to score 60 points and scores 60 points, I don't see what the problem is. You can't pay a guy 3-4 million and expect him to score 80 points, just like you can't pay a 50 point guy 7 million and expect him to score 80 points.

Old
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Not good parallels. Drury gets ire because he's on the third when he should be on the first. Brashear got ire because he was brought in to be a productive goon and he was neither a productive, nor particularly goon-ish and wound up in the press box. Zherdev only scoring say 45 and demoted to the third line/pressbox would get ire too. Zherdev on the second line racking up 55-60 wouldn't get much ire.

Needless to say (to those who know my posting history anyway), I think it would be great to bring him back.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Not good parallels. Drury gets ire because he's on the third when he should be on the first. Brashear got ire because he was brought in to be a productive goon and he was neither a productive, nor particularly goon-ish and wound up in the press box. Zherdev only scoring say 45 and demoted to the third line/pressbox would get ire too. Zherdev on the second line racking up 55-60 wouldn't get much ire.

Needless to say (to those who know my posting history anyway), I think it would be great to bring him back.
Why should Drury be on the first line? He was never a first line player.

I there's more of chance that we see the first scenario with Zherdev than the second.

Old
04-01-2010, 05:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Both are a little, different, no? Drury is incredibly overpaid, and for that matter, so is Brashear. Brashear was brought here for one thing, and he didn't do it. Drury was brought and paid to do something he simply can't do, at least not in the situation he's been inserted in.

If Zherdev is paid 3-4 million to score 60 points and scores 60 points, I don't see what the problem is. You can't pay a guy 3-4 million and expect him to score 80 points, just like you can't pay a 50 point guy 7 million and expect him to score 80 points.
If Drury was brought in to do something he wasn't able to do, why the ire?

Now it's 3-4M? For a guy who's registered 60 points once in his career?

Old
04-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

The only reason Zherdev didn't score 60 points last season was due to the fact the PP was horrendous.

He had 46 ES points last year, which was tied for 30th in the NHL, alongside Heatley/Backstrom/Marleau and more than Spezza/Zajac/Elias/Kopitar/Alffy/Vinny/etc. I don't feel like going through it, but I'd say it's safe to say he played probably the least ice time amongst this group of players.

He also mailed in the last 10 games or so, which we all witnessed.

He's a perfect complementary player, the problem was that he asked for a primary player's pricetag and didn't deserve it.

If he'd come back for 3.5 or less, it's perfect, any more and it's a bad deal.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
If Drury was brought in to do something he wasn't able to do, why the ire?
Most fans insist on expecting certain things purely as a result of salary.

Quote:
Now it's 3-4M? For a guy who's registered 60 points once in his career
How many 55 point players past their entry deal are making under 3 million?