HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

14 points back with 2 games in hand...

Old
01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
14 points back with 2 games in hand...

... on the Chicago Blackhawks.

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'.

Not an impossible deficit to overcome with 76 possible points left to earn.

It would help a little bit if the Wings actually scored a goal against them the next time they played. That'd be nice.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
... on the Chicago Blackhawks.

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'.

Not an impossible deficit to overcome with 76 possible points left to earn.

It would help a little bit if the Wings actually scored a goal against them the next time they played. That'd be nice.

I don't see it. Despite the 4-1 win against SJ, I thought we were sloppy. Nabokov gave up some bad goals.
The game before, we were very fortunate to win.

I think Detroit's in the playoffs, but I don't think catching Chicago is realistic.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:03 AM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I don't see it. Despite the 4-1 win against SJ, I thought we were sloppy. Nabokov gave up some bad goals.

I think Detroit's in the playoffs, but I don't think catching Chicago is realistic.
yea i agree. the wings would have to win the 3 remaining games against the hawks all in regulation just to have a shot. i think 4th is gonna be the best they get

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:24 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:

Which goals were bad ones? You mean the two top corner shots from Datsyuk and Cleary? Or the deflection from Eaves right in front of him? Or the goal that Helm scored where he is jamming the crease?

Four good goals. San Jose was sloppy indeed. Not Nabokov.

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Quote:

What's your definition of sloppy?

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Yemack

Catching Chicago seems improbable. Chicago is winning games like a routine procedure. At current rate they are on pace for 117.48 pt by the season's end.

To catch up, Wings would have to win 9 games outta 10 for rest of the season.. and those games include matches against chicago. Not possible unless Chicago runs into multiple injury problem or Wings put on a run that will go down as a legend. (beside, Hawks will add Kovalchuk around trade deadline)

Wings should just focus on winning 7 games out of 10 in order to safely make playoff. 9/10 and 7/10 doesn't sound huge different but I guess that's what separates elite teams and just good enough teams. hm... kinda like a school grading isn't it? 9/10 = A+, 8/10 = A, and 7/10 = B

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:54 AM
HockeyinHD

Well, Chicago plays 8 straight road games coming up here, starting with a back to back against Columbus/Detroit, then a long Western swing that ends in San Jose.

Overall, 21 of their final 36 are on the road.

Again, I'm not saying it's likely. I'm saying it's possible. And both Huet and Niemi are starting to unravel at precisely the right time. One or two more gut-punch losses because their goalies get wildly outplayed and that young Chicago team might start to get a little squinty.

Old
01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
SJ wasn't sloppy, SJ just went SJ like they always do in gut check games.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Jussha

Chances of this happening are very slim to none, and I'd think it would require detroit to win 30-31 of the next 39 and finish with 112-114 points, and included in those 30-31 wins would have to be 3 victories in regulation over Chicago. If Franzen somehow comes back right after the olympic break there is a chance we can win 30 out of 39, but still it will be very, very tough.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Yemack

I thought SJ underestimated Wings a bit last game. They are clearly a team capable of playing with structure and cover all bases but they got cocky and felt Wings wouldnt be able to do anything when they apply heavy pressure to us.

Players like Datsyuk just know how to capitalize on those situation.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:19 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:

Sloppy? No, I think they had their chances but Detroit just shut them down, closed the shooting lanes and defended much better. The only sloppy I saw was from the Detroit defense on the SJ goal.

Catching up with Chicago is technically possible, but improbable. I think a 4th place finish is much more likely if we step up and play like we did against SJ. If we can do that, then we are looking at a first round probably against Vancouver or Phoenix, which isn' that great cause we have to travel so far. Man, the East is the conference to be in. They are just so close to each other, travel is not that much of a hassle.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:25 AM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
And both Huet and Niemi are starting to unravel at precisely the right time.
This will happen! Chicago can't keep up their great GAA for the rest of the year. Especially with two goaltenders who have yet to prove they can be great all season.

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:30 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Catching Chicago is only possible if the Hawks totally fall off the wagon, and even then the Wings would still have to play really good hockey with no extended speed bumps or losing streaks to catch them.

I don't see it.

However, as long as Huet is their goalie and they give major minutes to Brian Campbell, I can definitely see them getting bumped off in the first round. Also, Q has coached 10 playoff teams in his career. He's never made a SCF and he's lost 5 of 5 to the Wings. He strikes me as a classic Dave Lewis type of coach that is good at developing and instituting a system that is successful in the regular season but is easily cracked in the playoffs by a well-coached and disciplined team.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
detredWINgs

Why do we even care? Theres really no need for this team to go balls to the wall in an attempt to catch Chiacgo. I know everyone is riding high from beating San Jose, but this is a team that looked pathetic against a mediocre Anaheim team and struggled to beat 8th place LA just a few nights back.

Lets just accept the fact that, due to injuries or not, we aren't a top seed contender. Frankly, I'm enjoying the lack of pressure on us to have the best record in the West, if not the league.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Why do we even care? Theres really no need for this team to go balls to the wall in an attempt to catch Chiacgo. I know everyone is riding high from beating San Jose, but this is a team that looked pathetic against a mediocre Anaheim team and struggled to beat 8th place LA just a few nights back.

Lets just accept the fact that, due to injuries or not, we aren't a top seed contender. Frankly, I'm enjoying the lack of pressure on us to have the best record in the West, if not the league.
So you do realize that "mediocre Anaheim team" just beat Chicago 3-1, right?

Not trying veer terribly OT here, but Anaheim is one of those teams that may be down, but you can never count out. Much like the Wings this season.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:54 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack Llama View Post
So you do realize that "mediocre Anaheim team" just beat Chicago 3-1, right?

Not trying veer terribly OT here, but Anaheim is one of those teams that may be down, but you can never count out. Much like the Wings this season.
They're still a mediocre team. Mediocre defense, mediocre offensive depth, mediocre team. One game doesn't change that.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
They're still a mediocre team. Mediocre defense, mediocre offensive depth, mediocre team. One game doesn't change that.
Quality of competition?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Meh. I thought the Wings looked like crap in the first period. I thought the wings were really scrambly and fortunate that they weren't down by more than a goal.
Then Datsyuk scores a shot that, while good, probably should have been stopped.
Then Cleary does the same.
Before you know it, it's 3-1 and SJ is losing in a game where they looked like the more dangerous team.
Once Detroit had that lead, they played that typical DRW-ish clamp down style and did so effectively.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 07:59 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack Llama View Post
Quality of competition?
If you're as amused by that as much as I am amused by you completely failing to grasp the point, congratulations!

Old
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
doublejack

Talk of catching Chicago? This is either a case of threadfail, sanityfail, or totallyboredsothrowstuffatthewallhopingsomethingst icks.

The Hawks have taken the division. Period. Nothing to see here, people. Move along. Move along.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Talk of catching Chicago? This is either a case of threadfail, sanityfail, or totallyboredsothrowstuffatthewallhopingsomethingst icks.

The Hawks have taken the division. Period. Nothing to see here, people. Move along. Move along.
That's an interesting bit of fatalism. Long odds to be sure, but far from impossible. I think it's very possible Detroit is within 8 points of the Hawks by the end of the month.

If Detroit wins 9 games through the end of the month (of 11 total) and Chicago wins 4 (of 9 total), and looking at the schedule neither of those outcomes are exactly huge stretches... well.

Clearly the game between the two clubs is the most important of this period.

But still, even if all Detroit does is keep pace percentage wise with the Hawks they have a chance to pick up 3 or 4 points by the end of January simply by getting their games in hand played.

Old
01-12-2010, 01:15 PM
TheOtherOne

Quote:

Somebody needs to save this quote just in case we do catch the Hawks so we can see it reposted all over the place.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
Somebody needs to save this quote just in case we do catch the Hawks so we can see it reposted all over the place.
By all means, please do. I stand behind that post 100%.

Chicago has been steadily pulling away from the rest of the division the entire season. There is absolutely no logical basis upon which to conclude that the Wings can make up a 14 point deficit in half a season. Hell, we'll be fortunate to finish 10 or 12 points behind when all is said and done. That would be a minor miracle unto itself.

Last edited by doublejack: 01-12-2010 at 04:24 PM.
doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
There is absolutely no logical basis upon which to conclude that the Wings can make up a 14 point deficit in half a season.
Probably a 2 or 3 in 10 chance.

But not impossible or even remarkably unlikely. Every year one or two teams make up 6-10+ points on the rest of their conference.

Why not a Detroit team that will (allegedly) get a bunch of players back in the second half and has (allegedly) a really hot goaltender?

Old
01-13-2010, 02:49 AM
14ari13

After this loss to the Islanders, maybe we should forget the Hawks.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote