HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Goalie Would YOU Draft?

View Poll Results: Grab Your Goalie
Al Montoya 17 29.82%
Marek Schwarz 30 52.63%
Devan Dubnyk 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Which Goalie Would YOU Draft?

Just out of curiosity, if these three goalies were all available for Edmonton to pick from, and YOU were Kevin Prendergast, who would you take and why?

Old
05-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Master Lok

Montoya. with Torres, we could capture the big hockey-loving Latino crowd in Edmonton.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Montoya. with Torres, we could capture the big hockey-loving Latino crowd in Edmonton.

Sure! Make a trade for Gomez and bring back Guerin and we would have the complete set.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:59 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I'd take Schwarz without thinking twice. Why? Well, I liked what I saw of him at the World Juniors (although many people disagree), but it's been said over and over that he's simply the best goalie in the draft. I believe it.

But I don't think Montoya's far behind.

I'd save Dubnyk for later in the first.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Slats432

I think you could almost toss a coin with Schwarz or Montoya...and personally Dubnyk isn't third on my list.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
and personally Dubnyk isn't third on my list.
Ditto. I'd probably rather take a chance on Schneider if they were both available.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Cerebral

I'd take Schwarz.. I also agree, Dubnyk isn't third on my list either.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:21 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I was impressed by Montoya at the wjc, completely unimpressed with Schwartz, but I've also heard the opposite of each so it's tough.

I like Montoya simply because he played his best when the chips were down, and that counts for something...

...right?

Old
05-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Oilers Hockey

Well I haven't seen either play but I have read about them - I've googled Al Montoya and read some good things about him - so I picked Montoya.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I was impressed by Montoya at the wjc, completely unimpressed with Schwartz, but I've also heard the opposite of each so it's tough.

I like Montoya simply because he played his best when the chips were down, and that counts for something...

...right?
Agreed.

Although I will qualify that by saying that playing well at the WJC may not translate into NHL success...

Drafting goalies in the first round is always a risky proposition. Unless you have a Luongo or Fleury on your hands, no choice is safe and some just don't pan out, no matter how much work you do beforehand making sure that they will.

Too tough to call between Montoya and Schwarz...

Old
05-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Slats432

Quote:

...right?
Which is one of the reasons I like David Shantz before Dubnyk.(And would consider Justin Peters as well.) Dubnyk had a poor playoff and Shantz and Peters both shined.

(one other question...anyone think about Jeff Harvey as someone the Oilers could sign as a UFA goalie?)

Old
05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
Which is one of the reasons I like David Shantz before Dubnyk.(And would consider Justin Peters as well.) Dubnyk had a poor playoff and Shantz and Peters both shined.

(one other question...anyone think about Jeff Harvey as someone the Oilers could sign as a UFA goalie?)
I really like Shantz too... watched him a lot for the ice dogs this season, and he was huge for them all year, not just in the playoffs.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Asiaoil

David Shantz from the Mississauga has been absolutely rocketing up the charts and is probably rated higher than Dubnyk now. He may even end up being the best goalie out of this draft which is saying something. The kid has been unreal in the late season and playoffs for the IceDogs - so he is Asiaoil's dark-horse choice for our late first or second round pick.

Old
05-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
I´d go here with Schneider.
He might have the best time of being ready.
Drafted 2004, 4 years of NCAA coming -> at this point the Deslauriers-Thing is decided - this or that way and you´re not getting to the point to have too much quality (i know, that you can´t have too much ) - i´m talking about it in the Caps way (Ouellet, Stana, Charpentier, Gherson, Daigneault, Müller - they don´t have enough space for all of them and the goalie market looks to be quiet).

Old
05-04-2004, 03:22 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I would take any of the 4 mentioned IF they are available with our 2nd round pick. I do NOT want a goalie drafted with one of our 1sts. We need talent moreso then goalies. There are a lot of NHL capable goalies out there nowadays and we can get a lot of them for a 2nd rounder IMHO. Why waste a 1st when a 2nd will get us a guy a lot closer to NHL ready

Old
05-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I would take any of the 4 mentioned IF they are available with our 2nd round pick. I do NOT want a goalie drafted with one of our 1sts. We need talent moreso then goalies. There are a lot of NHL capable goalies out there nowadays and we can get a lot of them for a 2nd rounder IMHO. Why waste a 1st when a 2nd will get us a guy a lot closer to NHL ready

Very valid points, but it wouldn't exactly be wasting a first. And NHL readiness doesn't matter much to me, personall, although I can't speak for the Oilers. I'd rather have good than NHL ready.

Old
05-04-2004, 05:46 PM
zoidberg

Is David Shantz of relation to Jeff Shantz? If so...

Old
05-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Is David Shantz of relation to Jeff Shantz? If so...
Dan Cleary > Jeff Shantz > Scott Nichol

Old
05-04-2004, 06:00 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Because you don't need a capable goalie to win a cup you need an all-star. The way the league has evolved the goalie is the utmost importance when building your team. Why not draft another goalie let him develop and hope one of them becomes a Brodeur or a Belfour. You say we need talent and your right, talent between the pipes.

Old
05-04-2004, 06:19 PM
zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Dan Cleary > Jeff Shantz > Scott Nichol
Blasphemy!
Nichol>All

Old
05-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
Because you don't need a capable goalie to win a cup you need an all-star. The way the league has evolved the goalie is the utmost importance when building your team. Why not draft another goalie let him develop and hope one of them becomes a Brodeur or a Belfour. You say we need talent and your right, talent between the pipes.
Agreed....but if I am Kevin Lowe, I would do it with the 2nd pick because one of...Montoya, Dubnyk, Shantz, Schneider will be there.

Old
05-04-2004, 06:38 PM
dawgbone

I'd be interesting to see what the ration is of highly touted goaltenders picked in the first round to those who actually have become legit starting goaltenders.

As far as I can tell, goaltenders who were starters this season and drafted in the first round consist of:

Martin Brodeur - New Jersey 20th overall 1990
Roberto Luongo - 4th overall 1997
Mark Denis - Columbus 25th overall 1995
Olaf Kolzig - Washington 19th overall 1989
Dan Cloutier - Vancouver 26th overall 1994
JS Giguere - Anaheim 13th overall 1995
Martin Biron - Buffalo 16th overall 1995
Rick Dipietro - NY Islanders 1st overall 2000
Brian Boucher - Phoenix 22nd overall 1995
Jocelyn Thibault - Chicago 10th overall 1993

That is 10 goaltenders picked in the 1st round from 1989-2000 that are currently NHL starters.

How many goalies drafted in the first round between 1989 and 200?

1989 - 1
1990 - 2
1991 - 0
1992 - 0
1993 - 1
1994 - 4
1995 - 4
1996 - 1
1997 - 3
1998 - 2
1999 - 3
2000 - 2

That is 23 goaltenders taken, 10 of whom are currently starters, not drawing any conclusions from that, simply because goaltenders can take up to 6 or so years.

There is another interesting trend. When there are several "can' miss" goaltenders in a draft, i.e. in 1994 and 1995, there usually tends to be at least one guy who doesn't pan out... now those are still good odds, but out of the 4 goaltenders picked in 1994, Dan Cloutier is the best of them. 1995 is turning into a solid season, but up until last year Jiggy and Boucher weren't looking very good, leaving only Biron and Denis.

Now, breaking the list down even farther into goaltenders I would put in the top 10 (as of right now):

Brodeur, Luongo, Jiggy.

That's 3.

Nikolai Khabibulin and Evgeni Nabakov were 9th round selections. Ed Belfour was never drafted.

Out of the 30 starters in the NHL, more than half were picked in the 5th-9th rounds or were undrafted:

Ed Belfour - undrafted
Curtis Joseph - undrafted
Dwayne Roloson - undrafted
Nikolai Khabibulin - 9th round
Evgeni Nabakov - 9th round
Tomas Vokoun - 9th round
Marty Turco - 5th round
Pasi Nurminen - 6th round
David Aebischer - 6th round
Patrick Lalime - 6th round
Andrew Raycroft - 5th round
Roman Cechmanek - 6th round
Tommy Salo - 5th round
Manny Legace - 8th round
Robert Esche - 6th round
Mikka Kipprusoff - 5th round

I mean, even when the Oilers picked JDD, he was projected to go 14th overall, and they passed on him. They then nabbed him with the 31st overall pick.

I think the best solution is to wait until the 2nd round, maybe deal up for a higher 2nd round pick, but I wouldn't pick a goalie with either first rounder

Old
05-04-2004, 06:48 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy

Very true, Goaltending is the most important position. But goalies are a totaly crap shoot in the draft. Belfour and Cujo weren't even drafted, Roy was what, 5th 6th round? Bordeur was first round but not the first goalie picked and he was in the 20s. Hasek, Theodore, Volkoun, Kiprosoff, Nabokov, etc. All not 1st round picks and apart from Theo I think they were 4th round or higher.

Since there is really no sure things for goalies why use a first? Use a second or even a 4th or 5th round pick to grab a goalie. They seem to all have a legit shot at turning into a superstar...

Old
05-04-2004, 06:49 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
I'd be interesting to see what the ration is of highly touted goaltenders picked in the first round to those who actually have become legit starting goaltenders.
Whoops maybe I should have read your post before posting mine... we seem to be on the same page but you did a LOT more research then I

Old
05-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Lowetide

I'd take Schwarz, but 5 years from now its anyone's guess. A club with enough depth everywhere might draft two of these guys and hope for one to turn out.

Closed Thread