HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Which Goalie Would YOU Draft?

View Poll Results: Grab Your Goalie
Al Montoya 17 29.82%
Marek Schwarz 30 52.63%
Devan Dubnyk 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 06:45 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
I would say whichever one is available in the late 2nd round, lets maybe take him. These guys are no where near a Lehtonen/Fleury class. The only thing Im sure of is that Montoya reminds me of a young Turco (and we know how long it took him to develop).

With the Philly pick Id say take a flier on a skilled euro who's ranking is affected because of "some" knock on him, or a gritty, big NA center with some upside.

Old
05-04-2004, 08:03 PM
GorillazXL

I picked Dubnyk because I hope the Oilers don't pick a goalie with their first pick, I would use the second pick for a goalie hoping Montoya is still around, but realistically Dubnyk may be the only one of the three when we pick at 25. Out of the three goalies I would say 1. Montoya, 2. Schwarz, 3. Dubnyk.. another player that I think would be an option at a later pick is Jullien Ellis.

GXL

Old
05-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I'd take Schwarz, but 5 years from now its anyone's guess. A club with enough depth everywhere might draft two of these guys and hope for one to turn out.
David Brown in the 4th...

Old
05-04-2004, 09:50 PM
TheChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I'd take Schwarz without thinking twice. Why? Well, I liked what I saw of him at the World Juniors (although many people disagree), but it's been said over and over that he's simply the best goalie in the draft. I believe it.

But I don't think Montoya's far behind.

I'd save Dubnyk for later in the first.
I would take Schwarz, but I don't see him being available in the second round, where KLowe most likely will pick a goalie

Old
05-05-2004, 01:08 AM
speeds

I like what I read about Schwarz, but then again Montoya is that bit bigger, all things equal the size is nice to have in terms of taking up space, etc.

I think I'd go with Schwarz, then Montoya, and then 2 or 3 guys ahead of Dubnyk. It sounds like he's a bit too slow for my liking, though again that size can cover some of those flaws that maybe they can't for a smaller guy?

Old
05-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

I'm not an Oilers-first fan, but if I had to choose between Montoya and Schwarz it would be Montoya. I think he has a much higher upside. Schwarz doesn't impress me much, and Dubnyk is not good at all IMO. Taking a goalie in Round 1 is awfully risky. I'd wait in this years's draft til the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Old
05-06-2004, 10:44 AM
YKOil

Oh no! Not the dreaded 1st-round-draft-a-goalie-or not debate again!

That said, I like Montoya over Schwarz as, from what I have read, Montoya has a much better physical-ability upside and that he still has room to grow in terms of technical ability - i.e. if he has the work ethic he will be a great goalie.

After the first two, however, I am firmly in the 'wait-until-the-2nd' round camp. Maybe even later. Best bet would be to use the late 1st and a player asset to move up and take Montoya - save the 14th for a Picard type if possible.

YKOil

Closed Thread