HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues @ Predators

Old
04-03-2010, 12:29 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
If Johnson was supposed to take Hornqvist out on the first goal, then why wasn't Jackamn supposed to take Sullivan out on the second goal?

Sullivan didn't have possession of the puck until the faceoff dot, fifteen feet from the net. When you take out a player that doesn't have the puck it is called interference. Honestly just watch the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan
Here is my reasons for calling Jackman out on his play:
Since the day he was drafted I have been a huge Jackman fan. I was certain that he was going to be the captain of the Blues for 10+ years and possibly lead us to the Cup one day. He used to play with a tremendous amount of intensity and passion. He was bashed tremendously post lockout when he couldn't adjust to the "new" NHL rules and I defended him. However, something has happened to him over the past 2 years. He cannot handle the puck without turnovers anymore, even in scrums after the whistle he doesn't seem to want to mix things up, and like last night he has some games where he gets caught chasing the puck around and fails to protect the front of the net. More importanly he pisses me off because he is capable of being a passionate steady shutdown defenceman, but for whatever he fails to do that consistently. He used to epitomize killer instinct. Now i'm not sure he even knows what it means.

While I don't agree with all of that I certainly won't fault you for thinking that way, but what does that say about the rest of the Blues' defensemen?

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 01:02 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
It doesnt matter really, but for what its worth, Johnson had Hornqvist tied up. The quality of that tie up is certainly questionable, but he was in front of his man (oncoming forward) and Hornqvist could not have made a play.

Yes, Johnson was finally able to tie up Hornqvist... Five feet in front of his goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88
This whole unlucky bounce business is an excuse, and a crap one at that.

I don't recall anyone mentioning an unlucky bounce on the Wilson goal?

Quote:
Jackman and a Nashville forward trailed the play. The idea would be for Jackman to get in front of that trailing forward instead of anticipating himself completely out of the play. If he "made a play for the puck" I didnt see it and it was an incredibly feeble attempt. All that trailing forward had to do was dig the puck from the skates of his teammate and go right and to the backhand with both Johnson (with his man) and Jackman on the left side of the goal.

Being a devils advocate is great but there isnt a solid reason Jackman SHOULDNT be criticized. As I said, Johnson deserves blame, he had a terrible game like everyone else. He could have knocked Hornqvist on his backside but he didnt. The point is, in hockey, you have a guy who takes the man with the puck and a guy who plays from a support position. Jackman let "his" man grap a puck and he allowed a clear lane to the right of the goal by playing himself to the left corner behind Johnson. I dont see how that is a correct play regardless of what Johnson did. Again, this is a trend with Jackman. Not protecting the slot is a trend for our entire blueline.

There are a lot of fallacies in the above quote, I have addressed most of them in my previous posts...

Quote:
Another classic excuse is Jackmans speed. If he truly anticipates these plays, then I would love an explanation of what he was doing when the puck was flipped from the Nashville zone on the third goal? Sullivan wasnt behind him and getting a clean break....It was terrible. Hooking a guy from behind means you were out of position, and since I saw this in person and in multiple replays I can tell you Jackman laid an egg. He should have atleast been facing in front of Sullivan getting to that puck. Come on.

I suggest you watch the replay of that goal. Here is what I saw:

- The puck is flipped up in the air by a Nashville player

- Roman Polak(the right defenseman) is caught out of position(though I don't blame him, defending against an airborne puck is nearly impossible)

- Barret Jackman(the left defensman) has to skate to the right side of the ice to cover for his partner(keep in mind the puck is still in the air, Jackman doesn't know where it is going to land because he is trying to keep up with the much faster Sullivan)

- When the puck lands Steve Sullivan is in the Blues' defensive zone ahead of Barret Jackman(Jackman cannot impede Sullivan in any way until the puck lands or it would be interference)

- Barret Jackman is able to get his stick on the puck despite being behind Sullivan(keep in mind at this point there is no way for Jackman to put a legal check on Sullivan)

- The puck bounces off of Sullivan's foot/shin and is jettisoned just ahead of him(a very lucky break)

- Sullivan finally corrals the puck at the faceoff dot

- Sullivan scores

How should Jackman have defended that play? While you're thinking about that, keep in mind the whole play only lasted a few seconds... That should be an ample amount of time for you to decide!

Old
04-03-2010, 08:55 AM
St.Louis sports fan

It's a sad day when you have to admit you were wrong about a player. I have come to terms with that about Jackman and you will too. He's just not that good. I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you about that and move on. I prefer players that get's the job done and doesn't need a bunch of excuses as to why he doesnt(Polak).

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 11:28 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
I prefer players that get's the job done and doesn't need a bunch of excuses as to why he doesnt(Polak).

If I know Blues fans it's only a matter of time before Polak is thrown under the bus. It has been admitted many times in this thread that the younger Jackman was a good player, now apparently he isn't... I just hope the older Polak doesn't suffer the same perceived fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan
I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you about that and move on.

Fair enough, we agree to disagree, let's move on.

Old
04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post

I don't recall anyone mentioning an unlucky bounce on the Wilson goal?

I did.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote