HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tonight's game has been cancelled

Old
04-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
What in the **** was Cole doing there?
Yah but he was trying real hard. And he's good with the fans.

And that is why #12 has to get better in the faceoff circle or he should not be the guy taking the draws at this stage of the game.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 08:59 PM
AD Skinner

vCash: 500
The Sens are going to be so damn pumped for this OT, having just clenched the playoffs. I know I would be.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Cole is seriously doing everything he can to cost them this game.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Yah but he was trying real hard. And he's good with the fans.

And that is why #12 has to get better in the faceoff circle or he should not be the guy taking the draws at this stage of the game.
When they iced the puck they he was the only center on the ice. If they had a choice he doesn't take that face off.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:06 PM
AD Skinner

Staal's got to take the shot there... there was no lane at all.

Old
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Whitney, Jokinen, LaRose. Anything else is simply a mistake.

EDIT: And it is.

Old
04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
wow, too easy for Kovalev there against Legace.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

OTLs are fun for no one. What a pathetic ending.

Old
04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

The Canes fail harder than the new YouTube layout.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

lol we were destined to half lose/half win this game

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:12 PM
AD Skinner

Old
04-01-2010, 09:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
we really need to take some lessons from the Oilers and learn how to tank the right way. You completely fold when you have key players out of the lineup, not play like this.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Joe McGrath

This team fails so hard at everything. For all the hype Jussi gets for his shootout abilities, 4-9 isn't that great. Maybe we should have Erik Cole go next time. I think they frown upon standing still at your own blueline with the puck in the shootout though.

Old
04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Seriously, what is this team trying to do? You can't tank or gain ground with an OTL, yet these clowns slacked off late in both the first and third periods to give Ottawa momentum and earn exactly what they didn't need.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:22 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Oh, definitely. I didn't catch the entire game, nor was I paying close attention here, but who was on the ice with Staal at the time? If Jokinen was, than he should have been in the circle.
Cole and Whitney

Old
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh, definitely. I didn't catch the entire game, nor was I paying close attention here, but who was on the ice with Staal at the time? If Jokinen was, than he should have been in the circle. With that said, Staal still has to be better since he's our no.1 guy and taking the most draws. Especially in this situation at the end of a game. I'd be pissed if we were battling for a playoff spot and just pissed away a point because Staal blows at faceoffs. There comes a time when your no.1 guy has to step up to the task and after 7 years pro he still isn't good.

Old
04-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 1169
My new avatar features my deepest feelings for our beloved Erik Cole. His brilliance at the end of the 3rd is unrivaled. Even by the highly skilled Miroslav Satan.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Cole and Whitney
Well then...

Old
04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
Any of the Cole fans want to comment on that ABSOLUTELY ****ING DISGRACEFUL play?
Nope. I'm just as POd as you are.

It's too bad, too, because he was pretty damn good all night. But that was inexcusable. Honestly, if that's the best Cole/Staal/Whitney can do in the final minute, put Dwyer/Bowchuk/LaRose out there when Sutter's line is gassed.

No excuses for veteran NHLers to make the mistakes made by Whitney, Legace and, especially, Cole.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Cole is the worst player per $ in the NHL behind Cheechoo... That guy is on my serious last nerve...

Question: What's worse than winning 2 pts tonight?

Answer: Winning 1 point... That's the only thing... Win or lose is regulation, either was good.... **** you Cole

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Cole is the worst player per $ in the NHL behind Cheechoo... That guy is on my serious last nerve...

Question: What's worse than winning 2 pts tonight?

Answer: Winning 1 point... That's the only thing... Win or lose is regulation, either was good.... **** you Cole
And the fact he's getting top line minutes, while harder working, smarter players get back in the line. He was supposed to bring speed, hits, and offense, of which hasn't brought consistently. What has he accomplished since he got traded to Edmonton? Seriously, there is no Staal-Cole connection. Break it up. FFS coaching staff needs to wake up.

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Boom Boom Anton

A few comments about the game (other than comments about Cole and Whitney's decision at the end as that was pretty much covered by everyone else). I still can't believe Whitney did what he did there. True if it goes in, the game is over, but if he just softly dumps it, the game is also over.

1) That last goal was real weak on Manny's part. Unfortunate because he played well outside of that, but I truly believe if Cam was in net, they win that game. That's a save he has to come up with.

2) Samsonov looked decent out there tonight. If he could bring that type of game all the time, he'd be alright (even as a 4th line guy).

3) Brindy is just way to slow, but plays like he still has speed. I don't know how many times he could have just dumped it deep, but ended up losing it or turning it over.

4) Our young Defense is starting to turn the puck over more and more in their zone. It's a good learning experience, but I'd like to see McBain and Rodney show improvement in this area over the last few games.

5) If Sutter works on breakaway moves during the off-season, he would become even more dangerous. 2 games in a row now where he's had breakaways and wasn't able to score. I'm not complaining though..just that with his defensive ability and speed, I think he'll get even more chances as time goes on.

6) Boychuk is really starting to impress me more. He seems to get a lot of tips around the net, is more confident with the puck, is showing some great skill, and isn't afraid to go into corners. I think eventually scoring will come for him, but I like his game right now.

7) I hate to say this, because last year I thought the opposite, but Staal needs to shoot more. That play in OT is a great example. He had some key face-off wins tonight, unfortunately he lost the one at the end when Spezza picked it clean. It looked like a quick drop and Staal didn't seem quite ready.

Overall, a very disappointing game. Giving up 2 goals in the last 10s (1st period and 3rd) and getting a loser point on top of that. Would rather lose outright or win outright at this point.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Oh, definitely. I didn't catch the entire game, nor was I paying close attention here, but who was on the ice with Staal at the time? If Jokinen was, than he should have been in the circle. With that said, Staal still has to be better since he's our no.1 guy and taking the most draws. Especially in this situation at the end of a game. I'd be pissed if we were battling for a playoff spot and just pissed away a point because Staal blows at faceoffs. There comes a time when your no.1 guy has to step up to the task and after 7 years pro he still isn't good.
They pissed away a point because the two wings on his line made 2 brainless plays in the last 20 seconds leading up to that face-off that Staal lost clean. That game should have been over with the 30 seconds left and the puck on the "first line" wingers stick at the blue line, or with 15 seconds left and the puck on Whitney's stick about 2 feet from the red line he needed to gain. And even after all of that and Staal loses the face-off badly the goalie gets a clear look at the shot, hits his golve, and it still goes in. So I'd say pissing away a point because Staal sucks at face-offs might be a little short sighted.

After that rant: I've reached my breaking point with Cole. I've tried to convince myself that maybe he will be OK if he is healthier next year, he can produce a little more but that's not why I get angry with him. He has no hockey sense whatsoever. He makes constant brainless plays (like the one tonight) that I knew were brainless plays when I was 5. The sad thing is I thought Cole was having a decent game tonight while catching myself saying "WTF is Cole doing?" only 1 or 2 times. You can't be a 3rd line liability in your defensive zone, and you can't be a top 6 and a liability in the offensive zone. I don't see a place for him to paly without hurting the team next season. I hope he proves me wrong because I always liked Cole, but he has reached a whole new level of terrible this year.

Old
04-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

WTF was Whitney doing icing that last puck... All he had to do was either skate 4 more feet or lift the puck high and that game was OVER... UGH

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 08:32 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
WTF was Whitney doing icing that last puck... All he had to do was either skate 4 more feet or lift the puck high and that game was OVER... UGH
On this play, I think we have to face facts and reach the obvious conclusion: a pending unrestricted free agent was trying to pad his stats.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote