HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Chicago at New Jersey - Friday April 2, 2010 - 7pm (NHLN & MSG+)

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD31 View Post
We can't even draw powerplays these days
Well whos fault is that

I acutally can't believe nothing was called last night. Devils and Hawks both had a few legit calls going for them.

Old
04-03-2010, 12:14 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD31 View Post
Yea understandable

Which brings up the question. Did we just overacheive last year or was it Sutter's system that got the best offensive output out of our players?

Personally i agree. Lemaire is an idiot

Sutter regardless of the **** he pulled in the playoffs.(Which for what its worth, we should have beat Carolina.) had an excellent system implemented. It was no anomaly that we were a top 3, 5 on 5 team in the league last year due to his coaching.
It was part because the system last year was suited for today's NHL game. It was about holding on to the puck down low, getting shots to the net and putting in rebounds. That is how you score now. The system now is off of trying to score on the rush. You can't score consistently like that in the NHL these days. You could in the mid-90's when goalie equipment was tiny and there was more room to shoot at (see the playoff goals of 1995), but not now. Most goalies in the league will stop the first shot.

The system last year worked. The problem was Sutter panicked during the late losing streak and the team got conservative when getting a lead. Look back at game 4 of that series last year, they started out in that conservative mode and fell behind. Then they rallied back to tie the game and during that stretch dominated play. Then once they got the game tied they went back to conservative play and tried to hang on until OT and got burnt in the last second.

The same problems last year are happening again this year. Instead of realizing that getting away from the system was the problem last year, we went in the direction of going even more conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
Well whos fault is that

I acutally can't believe nothing was called last night. Devils and Hawks both had a few legit calls going for them.
You have to force the play in order to draw a penalty.

Old
04-03-2010, 01:46 PM
guyincognito

if Kovalchuk is great on the PP, why does our PP suck so bad when it's run through him? it was better when we ran it through Bergfors, and there's no way Bergfors is on his planet.

I think if Kovalchuk was just another guy, you'd all see it differently, but, since he's a "star", and the Devils just don't have those guys at forward, he gets a real wide berth.
saying that Kovalchuk and Parise are even comprable defensively is hilarious too.

Old
04-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolstonisuseless View Post
if Kovalchuk is great on the PP, why does our PP suck so bad when it's run through him? it was better when we ran it through Bergfors, and there's no way Bergfors is on his planet.

I dont really know why it doesn't work as well here but, in Atlanta, he was the man on the PP and it was great. I think that things would be different if he was here for a full season.

I think if Kovalchuk was just another guy, you'd all see it differently, but, since he's a "star", and the Devils just don't have those guys at forward, he gets a real wide berth.

C'mon. He has been our most consistent forward in the last 10 or so games. He has shown up every night pretty much. That is why he is a star. Can you honestly say that you are disappointed with him? He has been a PPG player for us and has been impressive since the Olympics.

saying that Kovalchuk and Parise are even comprable defensively is hilarious too.

They aren't very close when it comes to defense but, neither is particularly good in our zone.
Anyways, both are great.

Old
04-03-2010, 02:03 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Anyways, both are great.
am I disappointed? well, I see him as a second line merc, and not the savior of the franchise, so no. but I don't know what some of you other guys are seeing, if he's not scoring, he has zero impact on the game, except if he makes a defensive screwup to contribute to a goal against.

it's an upgrade over what we were getting out of our second line LW, obviously, but I'm not chasing after him with a huge contract in the offseason, unless something happens in the playoffs that's not happening now

Old
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
njdevilsownnhl*

Send a message via AIM to njdevilsownnhl*
come on everybody we must divert our attention to the game tonight and try to remain positive.

Old
04-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
am I disappointed? well, I see him as a second line merc, and not the savior of the franchise, so no. but I don't know what some of you other guys are seeing, if he's not scoring, he has zero impact on the game, except if he makes a defensive screwup to contribute to a goal against.

it's an upgrade over what we were getting out of our second line LW, obviously, but I'm not chasing after him with a huge contract in the offseason, unless something happens in the playoffs that's not happening now
Can't the same be said for the rest of our top six besides Zajac? He's good for faceoffs and defense. The rest, meh. Boardwork and that's it. The difference is, he is much more explosive than any of our other guys and he contributes offensively pretty much every game.

Old
04-03-2010, 02:18 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Can't the same be said for the rest of our top six besides Zajac? He's good for faceoffs and defense. The rest, meh. Boardwork and that's it. The difference is, he is much more explosive than any of our other guys and he contributes offensively pretty much every game.
to a point, yes. that's part of the reason why the coach is a numbskull.

and I really haven't seen the explosion yet. I've just seen alot of dangling. alot of dangling.

Old
04-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
to a point, yes. that's part of the reason why the coach is a numbskull.

and I really haven't seen the explosion yet. I've just seen alot of dangling. alot of dangling.
His speed has created most of his goals, mainly the oones in which he crashed the net. That's more than can be said for the rest of our guys, and that's without talking about his crazy shot. Kovy is not the issue right now. He has been the constant.

Old
04-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodeurfanatic View Post
Double goal.. should be two goals in one play.

Elias & Clarkson? Other thread big guy...

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
04-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Game Breaker

Send a message via AIM to Game Breaker
This was the first penalty free game the devils have ever been apart of...hard to believe. First 65 minute penalty game since 2001 between boston and toronto.

"...then they take their retard 7 foot Chara, who sticks out like a boner in sweatpants..."- Devs4thCup
Closed Thread