HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Mason's postgame comments

Old
04-02-2010, 06:01 PM
EOM

vCash: 500
Mason's postgame comments

He basically says not everybody was giving a full effort in last night's game against Nashville.

Quote:
“I’m definitely not going to single anybody out, but some guys showed up and worked as hard as they could and some guys didn’t,” Mason said. ”When you’re in a desperate situation like we are, we need everybody to come and compete, and we didn’t have that.”
Link

I think he's right. I get the feeling that some of the guys knew we were all but eliminated a few games ago (probably after the Detroit loss) and haven't been playing desperate like the others.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Anonymous User

Are the Blues going to resign Mason this summer, or are they going to look for a new starter?

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
He basically says not everybody was giving a full effort in last night's game against Nashville.

Link

I think he's right. I get the feeling that some of the guys knew we were all but eliminated a few games ago (probably after the Detroit loss) and haven't been playing desperate like the others.
Backes said the exact same thing on his radio show a few weeks ago. Not good to hear from multiple sources.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 07:04 PM
number 77

I think the safe bet is to say the blues will be looking elsewhere for goaltending help during the offseason. If that doesn't pan out, we may see Mason again.

number 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

vCash: 50
Who do you guys think they are talking about? I assume now everyone has given up and Are just playing or pride and trying to show That they are a good team just were not having a good year at the beginning.

Also now that the season is pretty much over, what are your thoughts on Backes, Boyes, and Bergs? All of them have had such off years. Bertie had as many assistance later year as he has had points this year. Not to mention he broke 20 goals and had a sick shot last year. This year a fair share of his goals were luck or a great assist. But he did make some great passes this year but few and far between. How much better or hopefully jot worse do you think he will be next year. I don't even know what to say about Boyes probably the most confusing played this season. A skilled sniper falls to the third line and even with good opportunities can't hurry anything. Smell question for Boyes. Does he bounce back or is he stuck in this bizarro land. Backes has been great an is develipoing into a great leader. But even his point production fell of. He had been slowly improving since he entered and this year lost some goals and assists. Was last ear a carrear year or was the jut a set back. I feel like if these players had beeneven able to match later year we would b safely in the playoffs. So I'm asking can these player ft Baker and help lead us deep I to the playoffs or will they be stuck in this no mans land between the lottery ad the later few seeds of the playoffs.

And I typed this on my phone so sorry for any awkward spellings and punctuation.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Bluesfreak74*

If Mason isn't back next year, I'd love to get a guy like Halak or Schneider. Halak will cost you more most likely since he is proven, but Schneider has a lot more upside and younger.

Bluesfreak74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Blues0307

My honest opinion on this is that he's not just talking about effort, but execution as well. He can't(and shouldn't have to begin with) come out to the press and say so and so sucks or isn't good, so he says to the press that it's a lack of effort. I think he gets frustrated by the mistakes that take place in front of him, just like the rest of, and gets tired of the lack of execution.

I think this quote getting as much attention as it is could be the writing on the wall. The Blues should move on and look for an up-and-comer anyway, but I have a feeling there is way more to this than this quote. The locker room has been is disarray this year for whatever reason, and it's time for management to clean it up. The dissension is getting in the way of progress and needs to be addressed.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 08:31 PM
General Veers

I agree with Mason and think he's 100% right, but what good does this do? If you're going to start chirping to the media at least have the guts to name some names, including your own, Chris. Has Mason's play been playoff-worthy this year? Hell NO!
Has he brought this up with his teammates in the room? If he has, how does this help? If he hasn't, then why not?
I like it when veterans speak up and take charge but that isn't what this is. To me, this is whining. So, I ask again, what good does this do? Why go halfway and make vague comments to the media? Am I the only one who thinks naming specific players would be better? Wouldn't it help clear the air? I mean, we all know who he's referring to. Number four and number five, for starters.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous User View Post
Are the Blues going to resign Mason this summer, or are they going to look for a new starter?
Preferably a new goalie.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:21 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 77 View Post
I think the safe bet is to say the blues will be looking elsewhere for goaltending help during the offseason. If that doesn't pan out, we may see Mason again.
I don't think that's a safe bet at all. I think management has been rather happy with their goaltending situation this year...it's the fans who seem to be itching for a change.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
I agree with Mason and think he's 100% right, but what good does this do? If you're going to start chirping to the media at least have the guts to name some names, including your own, Chris. Has Mason's play been playoff-worthy this year? Hell NO!
Well, according to NLH.com he's 11th in the league in save percentage and 9th in GAA among goalies with at least 50 games played. The top 16 teams make the playoffs. We're not one of those teams, but it's really hard to make a case that Mason's play hasn't been playoff worthy.

Quote:
Has he brought this up with his teammates in the room? If he has, how does this help? If he hasn't, then why not?
I like it when veterans speak up and take charge but that isn't what this is. To me, this is whining. So, I ask again, what good does this do? Why go halfway and make vague comments to the media? Am I the only one who thinks naming specific players would be better? Wouldn't it help clear the air?
No, naming specific players to the media/outsiders is not better or appropriate. If there's a problem with effort, then it's fine to admit that to the media when questioned. After all, most fans can see that themselves from simply watching the games. Denying it just makes everyone look stupid. How it is addressed and handled, however, is an internal matter and nobody else's business.

This is standard protocol in any job setting...

Old
04-03-2010, 01:38 AM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Well, according to NLH.com he's 11th in the league in save percentage and 9th in GAA among goalies with at least 50 games played. The top 16 teams make the playoffs. We're not one of those teams, but it's really hard to make a case that Mason's play hasn't been playoff worthy.
What we needed was for him to steal a game here and there. Instead, Conklin was the only one able to do it a couple of times. Numbers don't have anything to do with my point.

Quote:
No, naming specific players to the media/outsiders is not better or appropriate. If there's a problem with effort, then it's fine to admit that to the media when questioned. After all, most fans can see that themselves from simply watching the games. Denying it just makes everyone look stupid. How it is addressed and handled, however, is an internal matter and nobody else's business.

This is standard protocol in any job setting...
Well, ok. However he wants to do it. His venting/pouting is pointless. This team didn't wake up for Larry Pleau or Andy Murray, and they spoke up when it still mattered.
Maybe it's just time to move on...I don't know.

Old
04-03-2010, 02:32 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Actually, Mason making those comments makes me MORE interested in seeing him come back. He has higher expectations of the team. Backes has made similar comments. Who are they talking about?

There needs to be some changes, and it may have more to do with improving the chemistry than bringing in a specific missing piece (though I'm not saying to ignore the weak areas). I'm glad guys are pissed. This team was good enough to be in the playoffs, but they didn't get the job done.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 03:10 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
What we needed was for him to steal a game here and there. Instead, Conklin was the only one able to do it a couple of times. Numbers don't have anything to do with my point.
So, your point has nothing to do with objective data and everything to do with your subjective opinion. I readily admit that numbers aren't everything, but it seems to me that it's hard to ignore them completely...especially if you're making a blanket statement to the effect that a player hasn't played well enough.

I think it's fair to say, given the nature of your argument, that there is a very good chance that it won't be shared by everyone else.
Quote:
Well, ok. However he wants to do it. His venting/pouting is pointless.
He obviously didn't flag down a reporter just to start mouthing off. Someone came up and asked him a question. Without knowing what that question was, it's pretty hard to know how to interpret the intention behind Mason's reply. We don't even know if the snippet in the article was representative of everything Mason said or the overall tone of his response. You're free to read whatever you want into it, but I'm going to take it all with a huge grain of salt.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 04-03-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old
04-03-2010, 11:33 AM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
So, your point has nothing to do with objective data and everything to do with your subjective opinion. I readily admit that numbers aren't everything, but it seems to me that it's hard to ignore them completely...especially if you're making a blanket statement to the effect that a player hasn't played well enough.

I think it's fair to say, given the nature of your argument, that there is a very good chance that it won't be shared by everyone else.

He obviously didn't flag down a reporter just to start mouthing off. Someone came up and asked him a question. Without knowing what that question was, it's pretty hard to know how to interpret the intention behind Mason's reply. We don't even know if the snippet in the article was representative of everything Mason said or the overall tone of his response. You're free to read whatever you want into it, but I'm going to take it all with a huge grain of salt.
So, since there is a good chance my opinion (note:OPINION) won't be shared by everyone else I should change my mind? How many of my fellow Blues fans agree with me is not what I'm concerned about. It's more important to get varying viewpoints. It promotes more discussion.
I'm not completely ignoring the numbers either. Mason has been good, but has he been good enough to be worthy of a shot in the playoffs? Absolutely not!
I never said he flagged down a reporter, just that he mouthed off when it was too late. There are only two, maybe three guys who have had a good enough season to rip the team, and Mason isn't one of them.
If Mason were to be resigned, even for two years, I wouldn't mind. The guy is a competitor and when he's on his game, he's really good. But, to do all this posthumous venting....it's all just too little too late.
Take it all with a huge grain of salt, I understand. I mean, this whole season has been a huge grain of salt, crammed right down the fans' throats.

Old
04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Actually, Mason making those comments makes me MORE interested in seeing him come back. He has higher expectations of the team. Backes has made similar comments. Who are they talking about?

There needs to be some changes, and it may have more to do with improving the chemistry than bringing in a specific missing piece (though I'm not saying to ignore the weak areas). I'm glad guys are pissed. This team was good enough to be in the playoffs, but they didn't get the job done.
Everyone's dying to know the answer to this. I think most of us have an idea of those players Mason's talking about. But in this past game against Nashville Kariya was out due to injury, so it may not be him. We may not find out until after the playoffs and the trade/FA season is back on. We fans just might see a trade or two of players currently under contract who we thought would stay in St. Louis, but were rousted out. Whoever gets railed outta STL is probably the player who's giving it his all.

I sure it is none of Perron, EJ or Berglund. I can't see Oshie not giving everything he's got. Is it the defense? A couple from each?

I just really hope that Perron is not one of the culprits.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 05:58 PM
EOM

I don't think Mason's comments were uncalled for or anything. He didn't say anything that was untrue or out of line. And I don't think this should affect whether or not we re-sign him.

But personally, I think we should move on. Mason is a good goalie, but not good enough.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote