HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blow it up

Old
04-03-2010, 01:26 AM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
can we do the opposite of blow it up? can we have an offseason without massive changeover? how about we sign a goaltender and call it a day. we then spend the time we would have spent negotiating trades and such with resigning carter gagne and giroux to cap firendly deals so we dont have to make any panic moves next year.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Joey Mac

i think everyone but carter, giroux, and jvr should be available, everyone else can go... i'm not happy with richards and how he's played this year (he def shouldn't get to stay cause he's a fan favorite) and his contract was a little premature... get rid of holmgren and hire outside of the flyers circle like they did with laviolette...

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 02:16 AM
EdmFlyersfan

Locker-room problem still exists, Homer will do his best to address it in the offseason. Some players still cannot stand each other.

Best thing to do is move Richards before his NMC clause kicks in and acquire a legit starter, such as Vokoun and find a young goalie to groom for the next 3-4 years behind Vokoun or a solid NHL goalie.

EdmFlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 02:51 AM
Kaktus*

Blow it up? Hell no.

Trade or dump Briere and replace him with RW and Turco (our best option in off season with out trading non-existing prospect and picks). If we can add a young goalie then do it. We have 3-4 year window before Timonen and Pronger will really slow down.

Carter, Richards, Pronger, Timonen, Gagne plus youngster like JVR and Giroux and 4th line players like Carcillo, Betts and Lappy is a good start.

I do not know what to do with Hartnell.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 04-03-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 03:12 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

The thing about Briere is...it's not really that his contract is bad. That's not so much the problem.

I'd say that the problem is more that his contract is SOOO ****ing bad that it makes me want to saw my ****ing scrotum off with a rusty knife.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:46 AM
FlyerX

I've never seen such a bi-polar team. Here are the streaks they've gone on:

12-5-1
3-13-1
21-9-2
2-7-2

Of course, Boucher has killed them. A couple good games can't overcome his all over the place, mostly crappy, play when they needed competent goaltending the most.

There's more to it than just that though. Here's where Lavy has to earn his dough. It's easy to coach when things are on a roll. He did it earlier this year.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 08:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything. But if Hartnell really did have martial problems this year, perhaps he will want to get out of Philadelphia asap. Get the hell away from the ex.
She's not from here

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 08:27 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's not anyone's fault the goaltending got hurt, but there were a lot of people who knew the team would be in deep **** if Brian Boucher somehow ended up as the starting goaltender. Better options were available.

They coulda just done that for this season and chose not to. Not only did they choose not to, but the media tried to pawn off Ian Laperriere as a 3rd line center.

It's not so much that as it is the "all-in, we're goin' for it this year!!!1!" just doesn't work anymore. The Flyers have been a step or two behind since the lockout was over, insistent that this can be done the same ways they've been trying to get it done.
I agree with everything you've said. I wasn't trying to defend the organization in any way, I was just pointing out that we're not that far off. I said something about Boucher at the beginning of the season and people jumped all over me, saying that he had such a good year last year and he would be fine. Whoops.

As for the bolded -- that's what makes me incredibly mad. In the beginning, the Flyers were playing the game with Hatcher/Rathje/etc, and it wasn't until after the season that they were like "oh yea, maybe we should get a bit faster," even though they signed Gauthier. Then after they wanna get faster, they start a defensive project over the last few years, where Homer realizes that he likes dmen who can skate and move the puck.

Now this year, he vowed to make goaltending a priority, as if it just came to him and he had this epiphany. When you're a year+ behind everyone, you're not going to win.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 08:43 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
I've never seen such a bi-polar team. Here are the streaks they've gone on:

12-5-1
3-13-1
21-9-2
2-7-2

Of course, Boucher has killed them. A couple good games can't overcome his all over the place, mostly crappy, play when they needed competent goaltending the most.

There's more to it than just that though. Here's where Lavy has to earn his dough. It's easy to coach when things are on a roll. He did it earlier this year.
Bottom line is that this team goes as its PP goes, and our power play is incredibly streaky.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 08:48 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Bottom line is that this team goes as its PP goes, and our power play is incredibly streaky.
They're still doing some things right. They've done a terrific job cutting down on shots against. A lot of that is Pronger of course. They gave up 23 shots last night against a team as desperate as they are. Any goalie would love to play behind this team.

Old
04-03-2010, 08:50 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
They're still doing some things right. They've done a terrific job cutting down on shots against. A lot of that is Pronger of course. They gave up 23 shots last night against a team as desperate as they are. Any goalie would love to play behind this team.
Except Halak who plays better and better when he's facing more and more shots.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Or one who wants to make the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 09:26 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Next year Build around:

JVR-Richards
Carter-Giroux
Betts-Lappy

Pronger-Timonen

everyone else can go

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 09:46 AM
jb**

Hire a gm who has a plan and will stick with it for the most part. Not change it every off seaosn. One who has no personal attachment to thes eplayers and can separate his personal feelings from hockey. This is another huge flaw shooter has that seems to go unnoticed by many. They can turn it around rather quickly imo with the rightmoves. They have the players to make those moves. sometimes you need to trade talented players for less talented players to make your team better. 2 of hartnell, carter, richards need to go to move forward. Hartnell is just a bad hockey player rigth now. can he turn it around ,posisbly but he has shown no signs this year imo. Cut the cord and take the loss. Briere is stuck here probably. I would move gagne but not give him away. I dont trust the curretn gm to turn it around at all though.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Next year Build around:

JVR-Richards
Carter-Giroux
Betts-Lappy

Pronger-Timonen

everyone else can go
Carcillo and Powe deserve to stay too

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
It's not about who deserves to stay, it's about who needs to go to make the team better next year.

Old
04-03-2010, 10:39 AM
jb**

Quote:
It's not about who deserves to stay, it's about who needs to go to make the team better next year.
i want to see what type of raise powe wants. he can easily be replaced. do not give him much of a rasie at all. Knowing shooter though he will get 1mm imo which is way to much.

Old
04-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Let me rephrase Powe and Carcillo deserve to stay because they have given consistent effort all season, have made this team better, and will certainly make next years team better.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 10:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Let me rephrase Powe and Carcillo deserve to stay because they have given consistent effort all season, have made this team better, and will certainly make next years team better.
They're dime-a-dozen guys. If someone wants them they can have them, and we'll go find someone else who will fill in just fine. Kalinski will likely be on the team next year, so that's one.

Old
04-03-2010, 10:44 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
This team has two serious problems. One is they go on extended streaks where they mostly play like crap. The other problem is that during those streaks, they don't find ways to win. Good teams find ways to win games even if they don't play all that well, or like last night's game, when they do the Flyers still don't put enough in the net.

When both teams are playing good hockey, games usually come down to making a shot or getting a bounce. The Flyers were that team, the team that made the shot or got the bounce, a couple years ago, but not this year, at least not when they're in these bad stretches.

Old
04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
They're dime-a-dozen guys. If someone wants them they can have them, and we'll go find someone else who will fill in just fine. Kalinski will likely be on the team next year, so that's one.
I don't believe that, and if he is, we've taken a step back.

Kalinski is a 4th line player, and will never be anything more than that. Betts - Lappy already make up 2 of the three spots. The 4rd spot will go with someone that can drop the gloves, Ideally it's Carcillo, unless they have him play on the 3rd line.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Hire a gm who has a plan and will stick with it for the most part. Not change it every off seaosn. One who has no personal attachment to thes eplayers and can separate his personal feelings from hockey. This is another huge flaw shooter has that seems to go unnoticed by many. They can turn it around rather quickly imo with the rightmoves. They have the players to make those moves. sometimes you need to trade talented players for less talented players to make your team better. 2 of hartnell, carter, richards need to go to move forward. Hartnell is just a bad hockey player rigth now. can he turn it around ,posisbly but he has shown no signs this year imo. Cut the cord and take the loss. Briere is stuck here probably. I would move gagne but not give him away. I dont trust the curretn gm to turn it around at all though.
This is exactly the problem. With no cap and an owner who'll happily write the checks, Homer's probably a fine GM. He's a solid drafter, not as great as some make him out to be, and he's aggressive in beating the bushes for prospects.

He does an OK job in making not cap related trades. But he's from the Clarke School, which is influenced heavily by Snider, who is a knee jerk owner.

Old
04-03-2010, 11:24 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
So we keep those also... and its ideally the same team as last season except we dont have Hartnell and Briere?

I ussually dont believe in blowing up the WHOLE team, but this team definitely needs a change.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So we keep those also... and its ideally the same team as last season except we dont have Hartnell and Briere?

I ussually dont believe in blowing up the WHOLE team, but this team definitely needs a change.
My biggest worry is that the rumors of the locker room divide center on Richards and Pronger. What if that is the root of the problems? Can they really trade one of the two?

Old
04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
This is exactly the problem. With no cap and an owner who'll happily write the checks, Homer's probably a fine GM. He's a solid drafter, not as great as some make him out to be, and he's aggressive in beating the bushes for prospects.

He does an OK job in making not cap related trades. But he's from the Clarke School, which is influenced heavily by Snider, who is a knee jerk owner.
The thing is though clarke was 10x the gm shooter is and it isnt even close.