HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well, I guess Staal will be expecting 4M for his Contract this Offseason

Old
03-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Well, I guess Staal will be expecting 4M for his Contract this Offseason

Letang just got 3.5M, both are the same age, both have almost the same point totals (Staal 24, Letang 27) and both are set to be RFA this offseason. Well obviously not Letang anymore.

Staal is #2 dman right now, Letang is a top 4 dman right now. Staal's agent will use Letang's contract as leverage now. Talk about worst case scenario.

Thanks Ray Shero for giving Letang that much for a soon to be RFA.

Look at this thread with people laughing about the idea of giving Staal 3M a season:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=731611

Going to be a lot of unhappy people I guess when Staal gets his contract.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:08 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

One has to wonder if Letang and his contract looked at Redden and his contract as leverage....

Maybe it's not Shero's fault, but Sathers fault...because it's always Sathers fault.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Letang just got 3.5M, both are the same age, both have almost the same point totals (Staal 24, Letang 27) and both are set to be RFA this offseason. Well obviously not Letang anymore.

Staal is #2 dman right now, Letang is a top 4 dman right now. Staal's agent will use Letang's contract as leverage now. Talk about worst case scenario.

Thanks Ray Shero for giving Letang that much for a soon to be RFA.

Look at this thread with people laughing about the idea of giving Staal 3M a season:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=731611

Going to be a lot of unhappy people I guess when Staal gets his contract.
Where do you get 4m from and not 3.5?

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Fletch

I like Staal, but he's not playing like a guy who should be getting $3.75MM per season; especially as an RFA.

As for someone looking at Redden's contract...I assume that was a joke.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Staal deserves around 3.5. I hope he'll settle for a little over 3 though, would really cut us a break.

For every Letang theres another comparative who looks better.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Because he's better then Letang?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
From the fact that Staal plays more minutes on a nightly basis against the best players for the other team.

However, if Sather wants to give him a shorter deal I would have to think the amount would go down. Shero is trying to pay him a little more now so he doesnt have to pay him after next year when Letang will take over for Gonchar's PP minutes and most likely rack up the points. It may turn out to be a pretty smart deal if he plays well next season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Blueblood 2

Staal will take what Sather gives him or has to match. Won't be $4 mil.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I like Staal, but he's not playing like a guy who should be getting $3.75MM per season; especially as an RFA.

As for someone looking at Redden's contract...I assume that was a joke.
Would you give Staal 3.5 million/season for 4 years? I would just to get him set at a specific number for the long-term. He may not earn it next season but if he keeps progressing he will earn in the 2nd season and after that he will be a bargain.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
OverTheCap

Offensive defenseman usually have higher salaries than defensive defenseman like Staal. That's why defenseman like Markov and Rafalski get paid closer to $6 million while those like Orpik or Chris Phillips are paid around $3.5-$4 million.

Letang's struggling this year but he's normally much better than Staal offensively. He scored 10 goals last year and is great in shootouts. Letang and Staal aren't similar defenseman so I wouldn't necessarily use Letang's contract as a guideline for what Staal may receive.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 06:29 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Would you give Staal 3.5 million/season for 4 years? I would just to get him set at a specific number for the long-term. He may not earn it next season but if he keeps progressing he will earn in the 2nd season and after that he will be a bargain.
As an Isles fan I would as well. He's 23 and eating up good minutes. He'll only get better, imo.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:00 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I agree Staal is better, but offensive defenseman are generally paid higher than more defensive oriented guys and Letang has won a Cup, which can easily be used as a negotiating chip in some situations. I think we can expect to see Staal right around the same range, but wouldn't be surprised if we were able to get him a little lower, and I'm usually a realist/pessimist when it comes to these kinds of estimations.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

As far as I know, the Staal brothers have the same agent, Paul Krepelka. Both Jordan (4 years, 16M$) & Eric (3 years, 13,5 M$) signed juicy second contracts as RFA...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Fletch

I think I'm missing something here. Brooks Orpik gets $3.75MM as a UFA and a guy like Staal deserves something near there? While Orpik ain't perfect, he has been the guy going against other teams' top lines (and I believe Letang is paired with him now).

I think if you compare Letang and Staal, however, I'd tend to think that Letang does have a bit more offensive firepower. Unfortunately that's a bit skewed because of the team he plays on. I think it's tough for me to determine Staal's value though.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:40 PM
UAGoalieGuy

The contracts that will be used as comprables will be Seabrook ($3.5), Suter ($3.5), Burns (Got the contract before he got hurt $3.5), Barker ($3.1), and Edler ($3.25). Letang will be added into that group too. Seabrook, Suter, and Burns (before he got hurt) are all better then Staal. Edler puts up really good offensive numbers, so he would get more money then a defensive D-man in Staal. Barker got that large of a contract because of the the Hawks contract debacle last summer, so that probably won't even be looked at.

Staal will get less then the $3.5 these other D-men got. He will get somewhere in the range of $3 million to $3.25 million.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
SERE 24
LGR

This comparison is awful, by the way.

Besides offensive d-men generally making more:

Letang has played 8 less games than Staal this season (and played injured in more) but has more (albeit only 3) points.

This has been Staal's BEST offensive performance of his career, coming after 10 and 15 point seasons (both in 82 games). Letang is now extended at $3.5M after having 17 (in 63 games), 33 (74 games) and 27 so far (in 67 games).

Staal is certainly better overall, in my mind, but offense is FAR easier to measure and Letang's numbers (which arbitrators look at) are clearly "better". Plus Letang has won a cup. Using Letang as a comparison, Staal wouldn't be ABLE to ask for as much.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:52 PM
GAGLine

How much Staal gets will be greatly determined based on the number of years in the deal. The more years, the more he'll get per year (up to a certain point, obviously). That's the way it works.

The question is, will Sather offer him a long term deal to try and save cap space on the back end, or will he low ball him on a 2 year deal? Knowing Sather, my guess is on the latter, and that he deal won't get done until after July 1st. Has Sather signed any RFAs during the season other than Hank?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
The Thomas J.*

Staal isn't going to give us any type of home team discount, he is gonna be looking for $4 to $5.....maybe he settles for $3.8.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:13 PM
pwoz

Staal will get 4.5m because his name is Staal.

If they somehow dump Redden's 6.5m, I won't complain.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:14 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Staal isn't going to give us any type of home team discount, he is gonna be looking for $4 to $5.....maybe he settles for $3.8.
Look at the comprable players I listed a few posts up. There is no chance in hell he gets anywhere near $3.8. Those players I listed signed 3 to 4 year deals. Seabrook was on the gold medal winning team Canada in the Olympics. Suter anchored the top D pairing on team USA. Burns was being compared to Shea Weber before he got hurt. Edler had 36 points last season and is on pace 40 this year. Letang played top 4 minutes on a Stanley Cup Championship team last season, and had 33 pts last season.

Old
03-30-2010, 08:16 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Staal will get 4.5m because his name is Staal.

If they somehow dump Redden's 6.5m, I won't complain.
Unless that is a 10 year deal for Staal, that would be terrible amount of money to give Staal. That and if the Rangers don't have the balls to dump Redden in the minors, that deal would be impossible to give and still field a somewhat competitive team.

Old
03-30-2010, 08:18 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Knowing Glen Sather Staal will ask for 3.5 mill/yr and Glen won't budge higher than 3.35 mill/yr and let him walk like the dumb@ss GM would let him do.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
There is no chance in hell he gets anywhere near $3.8. Those players I listed signed 3 to 4 year deals. Seabrook was on the gold medal winning team Canada in the Olympics. Suter anchored the top D pairing on team USA..
You can't really use those arguments against Staal getting paid somewhere around $3.8 million. You have to look at what they had done when they signed their contracts, not what they've done since.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 08:43 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
You can't really use those arguments against Staal getting paid somewhere around $3.8 million. You have to look at what they had done when they signed their contracts, not what they've done since.
That's easy. Seabrook had 32pts, 24pts, and 32pts and played top 2 minutes the second and third years of his deal. Suter had 24pts and 31pts in his seasons leading up to his current contract, again playing at least top 4 minutes. I listed Letangs stats before his deal in an earlier post. I'm not sure about Burns but I think he had something like 27 pts and 45 pts before his current contract (An injury problems)

Old
03-30-2010, 08:46 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

Staal deserves 4 mill

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote